closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: G Shocks - If you could only have one.

G Shocks - If you could only have one.

As a recent convert to the G Shock world I have bought/sold/kept about 18 over the last year or so .
    3 are in use with other family members and I have 6 GX/GXW models - G Shock King - that I have kept for me .
    If I could only have one I would keep the only King that was made with a positive display.

I think given the availability of replacement cases and straps I would add a bit more color , perhaps the blue button variant as I don’t have that one .

Functions are all useful to me and I regularly use all of them .

I am quite tempted to try other models and functions, probably depth gauge would be fun here .

If you could only have one which would you have and why ?

Mark

I'm torn - practically the Rangeman i everything you'd want in a G - and I've always found them comfortable. Yet the Frogman D1000 is a G that is a cut above the other digital Gs. I think this is half the reason why buying 'just one' is not possible and why we have multiple Gs!

Nice King btw - I rarely wear my DGK King, a bit big and 'out there'....

5610 with bull bars

I’m quite happy with this one as it is my only G shock.

Solar, atomic and analogue; it’s all I need. I’d be just as happy without all the many functions which I don’t use.

Master
    5610 with the bars is a classic, I still have my Riseman which I love due to its size. Don’t use many functions apart from timers though.

Guess that’s the big challenge for me. I want a mud master but can’t quite draw myself to spend £600 on something with a compass etc that I won’t ever use in my car or office, I’m not the outdoor type!

Had 3 MTGs (one was the same one purchased back) and loved the ridiculous nature of its sheer size, but ruined when a waiter on holiday commented how much he loved my Hublot. I then realised what I must have looked like & the tip he though he must have been getting! Or he was ripping the Michael out of me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post

Nice King btw - I rarely wear my DGK King, a bit big and 'out there'....
    I have a DGK arriving next week - how do you find the display colour?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I have a DGK arriving next week - how do you find the display colour?
    Absolutely love it, I don't think the legibility is too bad either - the colour combo and the way the purple is handled on the DGK King is the one of the best examples for a G-shock IMO. These used to trade for crazy prices, though I think they've calmed down a bit now. How difficult was it to source?

I may put it on for the weekend - its been charging up on the window sill.

I saw one come up on eBay from someone I had bought from before - there are other DGk's listed but this one I picked up for under GBP100. Everything looks ok on the picture and having picked up my green one from the same source I think it will be fine .

Journeyman

I have just this one. Never really been a huge fan of G shock, but just HAD to buy this one. GMW B5000.

I love the Mudmaster, but at over £500.... I'll stick with my G4000D

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I saw one come up on eBay from someone I had bought from before - there are other DGk's listed but this one I picked up for under GBP100. Everything looks ok on the picture and having picked up my green one from the same source I think it will be fine .
    That is a fantastic deal - look forward to seeing it!

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I love the Mudmaster, but at over £500.... I'll stick with my G4000D

I have one of these too (though mine is more green) - very good G. One of my fav analogue Gs

For me, it HAS to be the true king of Gs, the GW-5000-1JF. I've had one for years and wouldn't be without it; I use it for holidays, running, football, etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    For me, it HAS to be the true king of Gs, the GW-5000-1JF. I've had one for years and wouldn't be without it; I use it for holidays, running, football, etc.

Same as Tony. I have one of these and a beaten-up, trigger's broom 5610 solar atomic version. I like the reassuring extra weight of the 5000 and the softer strap and the fact it's a bit more subtle with it's monotone colour scheme. I'd wear it smart-casual in the office without concern. I find the 5610 red band on the crystal makes it look more sporty, a bit more '80s! The 5000 is my gym watch, my playing-with-the-kids watch, my pub watch, my stag-do watch etc. The 5610 is for clearing the shed, DIY, washing the car, wear it when I wouldn't normally wear a watch etc. Both are staying, similar but different.

Ant

This, it feels like a proper watch, love it :)

Yes another vote for the GW-5000-1JF. I love them and it's the only watch for which I have a spare, even though they're bomb proof.

Bog standard atomic 5600. I've had a few and it's the one that's stayed.

Master
    There is only 1. The GW5000-1JF.

Master
    I only have one and bought it for the Royal Air Force connection and of course for the Zulu button.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tcy148 View Post

I have just this one. Never really been a huge fan of G shock, but just HAD to buy this one. GMW B5000.
    me too!

5610 for me. I did add the softer 5000 strap but honestly given the minimal weight the strap doesn’t make much of a difference (on this model).

Prefer the lighter weight vs the 5000.

Solar atomic, no battery changes and this is the watch I use to set my others to.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    me too!

Me three, albeit with a couple of tweaks. I think you can’t beat the classic rectangular digital format, and the Bluetooth tech in this one is actually useful and additive. Literally nothing to dislike IMO.

Craftsman
    The Rangeman for me. I actually do lots of outdoor stuff so the ABC funtions are very useful and it's less geeky than my Suunto. Plus the one touch stopwatch is great.

I also have the classic DW5600 (ie non solar etc). It's a real classic but ultimately the Rangeman is more useful and makes me smile more!

Keeping it basic

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

DW-5600E.

Everything else is gravy.

Master
    As the original post mine would have to be the GXW-56-1BJF. I've had quite a few g shocks over the years and sold my stealth king G not long back. It's the only one I regret selling so would.love to try the 1BJF.

5000 or 5610.

But it’s got to be square and not oversized.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Definitely GW5000

My typical adventure and volunteering watch,it's low profile and the resin strap is oh so comfy

Riseman for me.
    Perfectly proportioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    5000 or 5610.

But it’s got to be square and not oversized.
    Agreed. I'd go 5610 for retro with atomic precision. The square cased models are the only g-shocks that don't look comedy big imo.

This. Love it.

Multiband 6 Gulfman, just seems the perfect size for me.

I do prefer the basic movement battery powered versions in a screwback for the ‘proper’ g experience (plus loud alarm and bright backlight)- so currently this 5735 IMG_4513.jpg
    Plus it’s the same size as a square with a bit of a twist!

I’ve got the DW5600-E, for me it’s the classic. Iconic design, has all of the most useful functions, slim/low profile - ie doesn’t look like a monstrosity on the wrist like some G’s. I’ve had others but I wouldn’t swap this one up. The only thing I’d consider is upgrading it to the solar powered version. My mate has one and has been using it 8 years continuously whereas I know with mine the battery will need changing at some point.

If I could add one improvement it’d be a world time function, but that isn’t enough to give other G’s the edge on it for me.

Master
    I am going to stretch this thread a little and say a GW-5000-1JF if it had to be a G-shock.

However i haven't worn mine for over a year since this arrived.Although not a G-shock it is tough and suits my needs better.

This is proper hypothetical because everybody knows that G-Shocks don't count. The one that I nearly always grab for trips GD350-8, which is legible in all conditions even without my reading specs and features the silent vibrating alarm.

But I couldn't be without the original DW-5600C-1V.

Definitely the GW5000, haven't found any others I like as much, and it reminds me of my first watches in the 80s. Wear it for the gym, DIY, gardening. Do like the look of the froggies but assume they will be far too large.