closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stowa Flieger Baumuster B-Uhr: peace at last

Stowa Flieger Baumuster B-Uhr: peace at last

For that last year i've felt that the grail of a perfect everyday watch was close. I thought i'd found it with the Sinn 556i Anniversary but when you are that close it is all about the very fine margins and the discovery of a Etachoc shock protector confirmed that it was an "Elabore" movement rather than the "Top" Sinn marketing promised. With the bubble burst it was time to move on, retracing my steps through the "close but no cigar' poppies in a big field of horological weeds.

I've had the hand wound ETA powered "A" dial Fleiger before so i knew what to expect as a package. I'd sold that on because i found the hands too similar and thus the watch was hard to read. I settled on a "B" as a replacement but decided to wait for Eddie's version, that ultimately disappointed for other reasons.

Only 10 minutes in with this one and I couldn't see it ever leaving the roster and now, weeks later, i can think of some exalted watches that should be nervous.

Everything about it has been a joy, with spot on accuracy over a week the icing on the cake. The lack of a box and papers might have been a fly in the ointment but once i had paired it with this ultra modern Hirsch James strap it was clear that i'd found a combination that is all i am ever going to need.

There was one potential fly in the ointment, something i'd noticed on the latest incarnation of this watch and something that had spoiled my enjoyment of some great watches in the past. This might seem stupid but i need my hand wound no date watches to have no date hand wound movements. There is a shortage of the correct ETA 2801 and many makers have resorted to the date version 2804 in its place. It is a tiny issue but when you are this close it was a great releif.

Yes - very satisfying watches! Mine has the 2804, which, I agree, is a slight niggle but little is perfect on Earth!

PS: The thumbnails do click through to much higher resolution pictures.

That strap looks perfect on it. Great combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A year on I'm as happy with this combination as I was and, having worn no other watch for maybe 320 of the last 365 days, I'm even more convinced that this strap and head combination is worth the journey through the hundreds of near misses that preceded it.

I was thinking about why the my manual wind version is so much better than the auto and, apart from the obvious lack of height and the comfort of a flat back, it struck me that the back of the watch has been designed with a single symmetrical look in mind. With the auto there is no "home" position for the rotor.

Thats not to say that the auto's are not great watches, but this one for me is simply perfect.