closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying from Watchfinder

Craftsman

Buying from Watchfinder

Hi. I have read a few comments on this forum regarding Watchfinder and that they polish watches. The comments were in relation to buying a Rolex from, ie, ‘they are all polished at Watchfinder therefore I would not buy from them’.

Is this true? They have a SS Sports Rolex that I want to buy, but the above is putting me off slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    The thing watchfinder putting me off is their price...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TZ-UK mobile app

From my experience with Watchfinder they don’t do anything to a watch unless they absolutely have to. So no, I doubt that they polish all of their watches.

Master
    They do polish their watches and this has been a concern for me in the past. Best bet is if you can, and if you are worried then to go in and see the watch before buying. I have bought from them, and all seemed good, but it is obviously dependent upon the state of the watch when they buy it. If it is in good shape, it will only have a light polish. If however you don’t want any polishing and you are looking at buying something a few years old, then they may not be for you

Master
    Proceed with care. There are better dealers out there. Ones I would rather trust. At the very least, check where you can. In other words, the old...buyer beware. Don’t assume anything...check. Even basic stuff like the box and number of links . Don’t assume the watch has been serviced or carefully examined . It’s down to you...and buy by post to get a clear right of return.
    And watch the small print, all the disclaimers and vague wording.
    Last edited by paskinner; 11th January 2019 at 09:59.

Blog Entries
    Personally, I wouldn’t buy from them again unless the watch was BNIB with stickers on.

They have a habit of removing any spare links and then selling these on their eBay site - which just gets me annoyed. Often boxes are not correct and warranty booklets missing. If it’s a Rolex and they say comes with warranty - expect the bare minimum of paperwork. Others have said they do polish watches to death.

If if you do decide to buy - inspect the watch if you can, then order remotely. If you buy at their shops it forfeits their 14d returns policy.

i use other reputable resellers now (or trade on here!).

Martyn

Craftsman
    Nothing wrong with a polish as long as it’s done properly

I guess it comes down to a volume thing. Sell lots, get a number of complaints. We are typically a lot more concerning than the average customer I'd guess.

I've sold to them quite a few times when they were offering better than forum prices. I've bought a few times when the prices were better than I could see elsewhere - thankfully I've had no issues. But then, I've had no issues with any used dealers - one watch not as described was taken back and a full refund provided, but that wasn't one of the big three usual players.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    They have a habit of removing any spare links and then selling these on their eBay site - which just gets me annoyed. Often boxes are not correct and warranty booklets missing. If it’s a Rolex and they say comes with warranty - expect the bare minimum of paperwork. Others have said they do polish watches to death.

If if you do decide to buy - inspect the watch if you can, then order remotely. If you buy at their shops it forfeits their 14d returns policy.
    This is good advice. When I bought a VC Overseas from them, I emailed someone there I have been in touch with before and asked for a discount (which they gave), and then I asked them to confirm number of links and wrist size it would fit, and photos of the full set so that I could be confident before that I was getting everything important and that when it all arrived, it was the same as in the photos

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone.

It’s a 2017 watch, sold with a full set and pictured as so, also has 3 years manufacturers warranty remaining on the watch.
    Not sure on any spare links, but will check if I proceed with the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    Thanks everyone.

It’s a 2017 watch, sold with a full set and pictured as so, also has 3 years manufacturers warranty remaining on the watch.
    Not sure on any spare links, but will check if I proceed with the purchase.

Don't forget to research everything about the market value & the watch including cost of service & then haggle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    There are several options out there for the watch I want, so I am doing lots of research. I’m trying to source a nearly new Explorer.

Grand Master
    The mistake people make is to regard second-hand watches as commodity items that will all be identical! Far better to keep an open mind and consider each example separately on its merits based on your own careful inspection.

Polishing/refinishing Rolex watches has somehow got a bad name, but it all depends whether its been done carefully and correctly. The cases are a very simple design, they can be refinished properly with removal of tiny traces of metal prvided there’s no really deep damage.

Treat each example on its merits, inspect carefully and decide whether you’re happy or not.

I have bought from then a few times without issue. With regards to the bracelet, my wrist is 7.25" so I tell them to fit the bracelet to 7.50" and I have usually ended up with a spare link. Do this as part of the buying process and they have always agreed to do it.

Bought and sold and no issues .just thoroughly check it over . Remember they are a business and need to make money

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I have bought from then a few times without issue. With regards to the bracelet, my wrist is 7.25" so I tell them to fit the bracelet to 7.50" and I have usually ended up with a spare link. Do this as part of the buying process and they have always agreed to do it.
    a very good point Ken

as a rule they seem to take out all spare links and sell them on Ebay so its vital you make it clear you have a wrist like the Hulk or you count all the links before buying

shitty practice IMHO but forearmed is forewarned

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    Bought and sold and no issues .just thoroughly check it over . Remember they are a business and need to make money
    All businesses need to make a profit. They don’t all keep bracelet links, boxes and so on. I sold them an IWC with it’s wooden box. When up for sale, the box and accessories had gone . If that meets the test of a ‘need to make money’ then fine.

Craftsman
    It’s Ok chaps. I’ve just found a new one that I am buying from Mappin and Web

Master
    My 2254 came from Watchfinder in 2008, when they only had one shop. I went down there & tried it - it needed a half link taken out & it was good to go. I got the box, papers & the half link, though not the tag (not that I thought to ask for it).
    That was 10 years ago mind, could be different now...

Journeyman
    Is it branch related, or are your experiences more or less the same throughout? I have seen a few pieces I'm interested in but having second thoughts after reading this thread

Craftsman
    Certainly around London, I’d say the practice of robbing spare links is quite common which really irritates me. My theory is they size the watches for a 7.5” wrist and remove any links left over.

I’ve bought and sold with Watchfinder and generally it’s been a good experience to be fair.

The quality of refinishing seems to vary immensely from watch to watch. I’m with Walkerwerk, treat each example individually and don’t write it off if the refinishing is of a high standard. From my experiences, they seem to be able to refinish Breitlings to a good standard, but cannot replicate the brushed finish that Omega use on their case sides. Some of the Planet Oceans were bit of a mess.
    Rolex prices are crazy, so I’ve never even looked.

Buying from them online you will see in your order details they ask you to add your wrist size. I would recommend putting 22cm as one way of avoiding any 'sizing' that might lead to link harvesting!

Craftsman
    I bought my Speedmaster ‘57 from them. Full set, three months old grey import but stickered and never worn. They even had it sent to my local shop for me to view it before buying. £1,250 off the retail price too. I was very pleased with the service and communication from them.

Apprentice
    Have you seen this?

https://www.policeprofessional.com/n...k-for-support/

I emailed WF for comment but didn’t get a reply.