closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are the Globemaster and Aqua Terra better than the Datejust?

Are the Globemaster and Aqua Terra better than the Datejust?

I've been watching some informative and nicely filmed Watchfinder videos on this topic:

My vote would be for the Globemaster as the most direct competitor.

Master
    Omega are always playing catch-up. I suspect the Datejust outsells the Omega by a factor of ten to one. It’s got the history, a fine new movement and far better residuals.
    It’s just seen as a more desirable watch. That isn’t going to change in a hurry. Things like Metas won’t make a scrap of difference . Which watch is objectively superior is irrelevant.
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th January 2019 at 14:18.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Omega are always playing catch-up. I suspect the Datejust outsells the Omega by a factor of ten to one. It’s got the history, a fine new movement and far better residuals.
    It’s just seen as a more desirable watch. That isn’t going to change in a hurry. Things like Metas won’t make a scrap of difference .
    The DJ is so popular it's pretty much all you see in Rolex ADs these days, they don't even bother selling sports models

In all seriousness it really is about all you can buy at a Rolex AD so that does kind of help.
    "A man of little significance"

Grand Master
    When I first saw the Globemaster I liked it, but the more I looked the more I went off it. The size is a no-no for me, it would wear like a dinner plate and that’s not something I like. has it been 36-37mm it would’ve appealed more. However, what really puts me off is the mish-mash of retro styles from Onegas past, it’s a bit like throwing as many ingredients in the pot and hoping the dish will taste nice. The coin-edge bezel was done in the 70s, the facetted dial harks back to the pie-pan Constellation from the 60s......all a bit of a mess although I don’t question the quality. The dial window’s too far from the edge of the dial, that’s what happens when you make the watch too big and don’t re-engineer the movement.

Rolex manage to evolve their watches nicely, and more importantly retain a range of sizes to keep everyone happy. Omega seem incapable of doing this, they have a knack of spoiling thir nicer designs!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    When I first saw the Globemaster I liked it, but the more I looked the more I went off it. The size is a no-no for me, it would wear like a dinner plate and that’s not something I like. has it been 36-37mm it would’ve appealed more. However, what really puts me off is the mish-mash of retro styles from Onegas past, it’s a bit like throwing as many ingredients in the pot and hoping the dish will taste nice. The coin-edge bezel was done in the 70s, the facetted dial harks back to the pie-pan Constellation from the 60s......all a bit of a mess although I don’t question the quality. The dial window’s too far from the edge of the dial, that’s what happens when you make the watch too big and don’t re-engineer the movement.

Rolex manage to evolve their watches nicely, and more importantly retain a range of sizes to keep everyone happy. Omega seem incapable of doing this, they have a knack of spoiling thir nicer designs!
    I’d have to agree and add I found the steel bracelet really uncomfortable on the Globemaster.

I think some people are looking at a different watch to me ;)

The Globemaster is one of the nicest news models Omega have produced in my opinion. Certainly hugely more appealing than any of the other current deville or Constellation models.

The movement is perfectly suited to the use, with a quick set hour adjustment that doesn't stop the second hand, and the watch looks awesome.

Would I swap my DJII for one, no I wouldn't - but it would definitely replace my DJ36, if I had to made the choice of just one of them.
    It's just a matter of time...

I have to agree with Omegamanic, I find the Globemaster really attractive and the bracelet really comfortable. I think the vintage inspired elements in the dial work really well together and the Tungsten bezel is both attractive and very practical. I don't think it wears big either, it's pretty perfectly sized at 39mm and I usually prefer 36-38mm!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 17th January 2019 at 18:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    The DJ is so popular it's pretty much all you see in Rolex ADs these days, they don't even bother selling sports models

In all seriousness it really is about all you can buy at a Rolex AD so that does kind of help.
    The DateJust has been the biggest selling Rolex for decades. It brings in the cash, and that’s why Rolex makes sure there are plenty of them. I would guess that the ‘professional’ range is simply icing on the cake.
    Strange as it may seem in a hobbyist forum, most Rolex customers wouldn’t wear a Submariner or GMT. It’s not what they want.
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th January 2019 at 17:43.

Master
    I’m fond of the AT and have owned a few, still do have the quartz one. But no matter how many times they rearrange the design, it never quite resolves. Currently it’s the new striped dial and polished centre links I’m not sure about, at other times it’s been the date window surround, or size, or thickness - though sizes and thickness are now in a good place. But there’s always something.

By contrast the DJ, like it or not is an iconic design. I’m not sure the current version is my favourite, I’d probably prefer an oyster perpetual from the modern range, and currently own a 16000 and a 17000. And with them there’s no question that something needs resolving, it just is what it is. It could be accused of being middle of the road, but only because of its complete success as a design.

I side with the Globemaster too.
    Look at that first video cover picture.
    The proportions of the bezel, the bezel fluting and the indices are much more subtle and refined than the datejust it is pictured with.
    And yes, the period elements have been mashed together from different eras, but if you ignore that and just look at the aesthetics, it works very successfully to my eyes, especially with that little extra 70s touch of truncating the end facet of the lugs inwards.
    The EZM1 is Sinn's mash-up watch, with the case and bezel grip from a 2446 Autavia and dial straight from a Ploprof, but it works as a design on its own.
    I think the Globemaster is the same, and the functionality of the movenent tech is very appealing. I also think the 6 o'clock date is great where it is, no need to move that outward.
    Dave

If you offered me a choice of the three watches to wear for a bit and then sell, it would be the Datejust.
    If you offered me a choice of the three watches to wear for a bit and then give back, it would be the Aqua Terra.

Grand Master
    I owned a 38mm Aqua Terra with the 8500 movement for a couple of years, I liked the watch and I liked the striped dial. At the time I thought it ran the Datejust pretty close, it had a quality feel that the earlier version lacked and the timekeeping was excellent. Figures on the timegrapher were good too, the 8500 movement (in its earlier pre-silicon balance form) was fine. However, I sold the watch eventually with no regrets. I never liked the thickness of it, far too slab-sided for me. The bracelet wasn`t comfortable, when adjusted to fit I found the clasp dig into my wrist, a problem I`ve never had before. In the end I just didn`t like it enough to keep, the watch always looked unbalanced. Omega have subsequently messed about with the design again, with the stripes now horizontal and the bracelet centre links polished. I like the idea of some polished sections, bbut I never understood why they didn`t go for the 2254.50 style bracelet, a far more subtle design.

Provided the buyer can stump up the extra money the Datejust wins every time.....especially in the classic 36mm size. The residual value situation doesn`t need re-iterating, the Rolex will win by a country mile, and for me it's a far nicer design.

Omega were good value 12-15 years ago prior to the move upmarket. Good honest designs, sensible sizes, and good quality. I still own a few and I like them, but there's no way I`d entertain the current offerings.

Long live the Datejust and the cheaper Oyster range, the current incarnations of these classic designs are great watches, shame they're not a bit cheaper but that complaint could be levelled at most watches thesedays.

Craftsman
    I agree with the comments on the Globemaster. In pictures and through windows, I didn't get it when it came out but once I tried one on it just works. Personally, I can't stand the DJ. I also don't like Rolex's conservative approach. Give me the riskier Omega approach of tweaking designs anytime. They sometimes hit and miss but it's never dull.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I really enjoy those WF videos, they’re informative and thoughtfully set up the comparison watches.

And I love the look of the Globemaster, though like Paul I’d welcome it a little smaller.

Master
    Technically better and to my eye nicer looking watches. Residuals will never be as good but that doesn’t bother me. Nice alternative for people who don’t like or want a Rolex.

Blog Entries
    I have a Datejust 41 and had an Aqua Terra but sold it. They are both really nice watches and I regret selling the Aqua Terra, but if it was a direct choice I would keep the Datejust. It's a very adaptable watch which fits most situations, although because I like Omega's another Aqua Terra might be on the cards in the future.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Define 'better' - then I'll give you an answer.

Master
    Earlier I argued for the Rolex, but I was thinking of the near perfect vintage models really. I continue to believe that the ultimate modern DJ would be similar to the black Oyster Perpetual 39, but in 38mm and with a date. The nearest you can get to that is the DJ36, but the design isn’t as clean, or of course the slightly oversized OP39, or wide bezelled DJ41.

Given that Rolex don’t actually make a DJ that’s as nice as their own original vintage watches, I’d probably end up with an Aqua Terra 38mm, which is extremely well sized but has the wrong bracelet and questionable stripes and date position. So I’d get a vintage DJ 16000 instead, which I did. Rolex are often accused of being ultra conservative and not changing their designs, but they had the perfect watch, an ultimate design classic, and then changed it.

Master
    I must admit to having a soft spot for Omega, probably because my dad had one which I inherited. He wore it every day no matter what he was doing and it’s still going strong although I tend to cosset it a bit more.

I like quite a few of their models and think that their modern movements are probablythe best Omega have ever made.

That said, I cannot see them matching Rolex in the prestige stakes for the man in the street but guess that doesn’t much bother real enthusists.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    I agree with the comments on the Globemaster. In pictures and through windows, I didn't get it when it came out but once I tried one on it just works. Personally, I can't stand the DJ. I also don't like Rolex's conservative approach. Give me the riskier Omega approach of tweaking designs anytime. They sometimes hit and miss but it's never dull.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Have a look at the stuff they made in the 60s/early 70s, arguably that’s when they were at the top of their game and they made a very diverse range. I collect old Omegas, I restore them, I love them, but I despise the current incarnation of the brand and I dislike most if their products.

If we’re talking vintage, for me it has to be Omega.........but Rolex definitely get my vote with the modern stuff, although I think they spoiled the Sub with the fatter case.

One watch in the Omega range that I do like is the Constellation with integral bracelet, a design classic in my eyes. I think they should promote this model more vigorously, it doesn’t appeal to the diver/chronograph fans but it’s a very unique style. I own a late 90s version I bought to fix up and sell, I liked it so much that I kept it! The later double eagle models are OK too.....apart from the co-axial movement which should’ve stayed on the drawing board.

Craftsman
    Is it perhaps not better to compare the Rolex milgauss and Aqua Terra.

I don’t think Rolex DJ and Aqua Terra are not-that comparable due to size differials 36mm vs an average of 40.

I have been thinking about a milgauss for a while, but I do like the co-axial movement on the omega and some of the newer terra designs are a bit quirky much like the milgauss.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The DateJust has been the biggest selling Rolex for decades. It brings in the cash, and that’s why Rolex makes sure there are plenty of them. I would guess that the ‘professional’ range is simply icing on the cake.
    Strange as it may seem in a hobbyist forum, most Rolex customers wouldn’t wear a Submariner or GMT. It’s not what they want.
    Do you have data or sources to back this up? Or is it just speculation based on what you see in the AD? It's a genuine question because I don't know, and Rolex being a privately-owned company doesn't release sales figures.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Do you have data or sources to back this up? Or is it just speculation based on what you see in the AD? It's a genuine question because I don't know, and Rolex being a privately-owned company doesn't release sales figures.
    Consider all the pre owned Rolex you see in jewellers on the high st. Usually subs and datejust and usually the datejust are more frequent than subs.

Craftsman

Sad

It is with some sadness that a watch as well styled and mechanically superb as the Globemaster sits in so many AD's displays in the shadows and probably in an end of year sale.

Certainly Omega were looking to position the globemaster as a viable contender to the Datejust and when you see both together the class is certainly in the Omega corner with the Rolex, just like most of the Rolex models now just a over polished piece of bling but as buyers clamour for the Rolex wrist flash the far more beautiful Globemaster will fade into history once again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Have a look at the stuff they made in the 60s/early 70s, arguably that’s when they were at the top of their game and they made a very diverse range. I collect old Omegas, I restore them, I love them, but I despise the current incarnation of the brand and I dislike most if their products.
    Strong words, why do you despspise the current incarnation of the brand?

I think they have just moved on although, like most brands these days, they tend towards larger sizes which I’m not too keen on.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I do recall reading somewhere that Rolex to sellers were the air king, 11600 and date just. I always assumed that’s why Rolex were wise enough not to restrict or otherwise mess about with those line ups and leave their other watches to the feeding frenzy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    It is with some sadness that a watch as well styled and mechanically superb as the Globemaster sits in so many AD's displays in the shadows and probably in an end of year sale.

Certainly Omega were looking to position the globemaster as a viable contender to the Datejust and when you see both together the class is certainly in the Omega corner with the Rolex, just like most of the Rolex models now just a over polished piece of bling but as buyers clamour for the Rolex wrist flash the far more beautiful Globemaster will fade into history once again.
    I agree that it’s one of their best looking watches, but I wonder if it’s a bit too retro to be a direct competitor in this market - it seems to belong in a slightly different category, even though it could certainly be used as an alternative.

This is clearly going to be a minority view based on most of the posts here (apart from Paul's), but I have to say that I really can't get my head round the looks of the Globemaster at all - I think it's all over the place. There is a peculiar mix of design elements that really don't work together in my opinion.

I have no doubt that the movement is a very fine thing, but that's not going to help if the looks of the watch don't appeal, and to me they don't. I went as far as going into an AD in Schipol Airport and trying one on a while ago just to see if I could understand what all the hype was about, and it only served to confirm to me that this is a watch that appears to suffer from a massive identity crisis.

I'm not a modern Omega hater by any means, but there's no way I'd choose a Globemaster over a DJ or for that matter an AT - and I'd have a 44mm Speedmaster over any of them (but that's just me, of course!)

It doesn't remotely surprise me that they are now appearing in ADs discounted...

Simon

Many reduced Aqua Terras though. Which is a current model I just don't get - while the build might have improved, the looks went down hill after the first incarnation.

The only thing I find to be an overlook on the Globemaster is the lack of a half link, or and bracelet/clasp adjustment. Other than that it's down to your choice of colour. My blue face bi-metal (Steel/Sedna) has had more positive comments than any other watch I've owned.

When one of these recently appeared on SC I had a hard time resisting it

When's it from? About 15 years ago? It's 38mm iirc, with the 2500 movement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    When one of these recently appeared on SC I had a hard time resisting it

When's it from? About 15 years ago? It's 38mm iirc, with the 2500 movement.
    I used to have the quartz version of that, in both black and champagne dial, but settled on the champagne which was a beauty. They were more recent than 15 years, I think the change to the striped dial was within the last 10 years. They came in 36mm and 39.2mm. The 39.2mm had a lot in common with the current 39mm Rolex Oyster Perpetual, leaving aside the date. I found it slightly oversized though (something that makes me think 'fashion watch'), and traded for the better sized 38.5mm striped version - 38mm plus a bit of crown guard, so noticeable different in size.

Last edited by Itsguy; 18th January 2019 at 11:25.

Big difference between how a black dial wears at 39mm and how a light dial wears, for sure. The one I pictured has I think a properly deep black finish, which with the all brushed bracelet gives a nice sober effect. (I eventually decided that I wasn't yet grown up enough for that level of sobriety)

Something I also like about this model is that the bezel is quite thin. The smooth bezel on the larger modern DJ seems really fat to me.

Journeyman
    I have an Aqua Terra, and unsurprisingly, think it's better than a DJ. I've had DJ and currently have a GMT2 but I always go back to the Aqua Terra.
    I like the simplicity of the dial, it's beautiful to look at and keeps excellent time. DJ is a lovely watch, but I really do feel it looks very old fashioned these days, especially when compared with the Globemaster, particularly on leather, that looks stunning.

I think there's a lot of brand snobbery out there, and based purely on what other people think.

Grand Master
    Fondly remember my 36.2mm Aqua Terra with blue dial and 2500 movement, perfect size for me. Fitted nicely in my collection, should never have sold it. The original Aqua Terra is more similar to the Oyster 36 or 39 than the Datejust.

Tried twice to buy it back from the new owner but he wouldn’t sell. Prices have shot up on these, to a level I wouldn’t want to pay thesedays. I’d prefer to shell out a bit more on an Oyster 36......blue Explorer dial’s a must!

The early AQ were great. Don't know why I sold my 38mm black gloss Dial version. My old man still wears a 41mm blue dial, in rotation with a 16750 GMT - both look fine size wise on him, but he has fairly large wrists.
    It's just a matter of time...