closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this JLC Polaris Date too big on me?

Journeyman

Is this JLC Polaris Date too big on me?

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at this watch since it was announced last year at SIHH. Although the Polaris line hasn't had much love from fans, I just love the way it looks. It's almost identical to the Limited Memovox.

I'm used to wearing a 39mm Explorer and a 40mm Explorer 2 so I can't decide whether this Polaris Date (42mm) looks too big or not on my wrist.
    I have a fairly flat 6.7 inch wrist and although the lug to lug is only around 48mm, it looks substantially bigger than my Rolexes.

Any opinions? Thanks in advance.

Alec

I am in a similar boat, I loved the Polaris when it came out and I am very tempted myself. It’s slips under the radar and is a great diver with heritage from one of the great manufacturers.

Size wise I think it would benefit from being 40mm but you can carry it off.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    I am in a similar boat, I loved the Polaris when it came out and I am very tempted myself. It’s slips under the radar and is a great diver with heritage from one of the great manufacturers.

Size wise I think it would benefit from being 40mm but you can carry it off.
    Yes, I love how subtle it is. My wife has a JLC Reverso so I need to buy a JLC for myself, plus I'm missing a diver.

I've contemplated the slightly smaller 41mm Polaris auto no-date, but that watch just doesn't do it for me - It just lacks character. I find it too bland and boring. Plus you could see the movement is too small for the case with the see through case back.

The date is the sweet spot of the range I think.

Journeyman
    hard to tell and down to personal taste but I think it looks great

Master
    Looks good. That’s a very good lug to lug measurement helping it to wear smaller.

Blog Entries
    Measure the width (flat section) of your wrist - I think mine is 53mm and I find I can wear watches with lug-lug (across the watch) anything less than that is ok. From your pics looks fine.

Nice watch!

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 13th January 2019 at 18:20.

Master
    Looks good to me. The lugs don’t overhang your wrists which is obviously helped by having a flat wrist

From the pic , (and bearing in mind, on photos watches generally look bigger on the wrist in photos anyway!), Id say that looks pretty good on your wrist..

Looks spot on to me, lugs well within the flat part of your wrist. Any smaller would look a bit 'meh'.

Master
    Looks absolutely fine. In a similar wrist size/shape to you and 42mm is fine but a larger watch will often feel that way for a couple of hours. When I swap back to 38mm they initially feel small.

Have a search back through some forum posts if you want to see find wrist shots where to some of us the watches look mahoosive.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 11th January 2019 at 09:13.

The lug to lug looks fine on your wrist, similar to a 40mm Explorer II.

I think that the reason you have asked the question is because whilst the Polaris case size is only 2mm bigger, the dial is significantly and noticeably larger. Approximately 30mm on the Explorer II and probably about 38mm on the Polaris.

I tried on the Polaris a couple of times and when first released and had thought I would buy one. 7” wrist, with flat bit approximately 51mm. I predominantly wear watches with a case size 40mm, dial 30mm and lug to lug 48mm. I ended up deciding that for me the dial size was too big. Although I still think that I may try and convince myself otherwise at some point!

If you get used to the larger dial size, it will be fine, as the watch overall doesn’t look too big. But if not...

Does my bum look big in this?

Master
    Looks fine to me!

Craftsman
    Too big? No.

It looks large on your wrist imo. So it depends if you are going for that look. If yes, then no problem at all... a chap wearing a large watch.

If this was a picture of my wrist with that watch on, I would not buy, as like you, I wear (and prefer), watches 40mm and below (with some very few exceptions).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post

I think that the reason you have asked the question is because whilst the Polaris case size is only 2mm bigger, the dial is significantly and noticeably larger. Approximately 30mm on the Explorer II and probably about 38mm on the Polaris.

I tried on the Polaris a couple of times and when first released and had thought I would buy one. 7” wrist, with flat bit approximately 51mm. I predominantly wear watches with a case size 40mm, dial 30mm and lug to lug 48mm. I ended up deciding that for me the dial size was too big. Although I still think that I may try and convince myself otherwise at some point!

If you get used to the larger dial size, it will be fine, as the watch overall doesn’t look too big. But if not...
    gbn13, I agree. The case can be a great size (eg 40 mm or below), but if the diameter of the face is say, 35 mm then it makes the watch appear larger than it is. 40 mm and 30 mm face size is my sweet spot for a sports watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Does my bum look big in this?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Looks fine to me!
    Get a room you two,,

Oh and the watch looks fine.
    Last edited by number2; 11th January 2019 at 10:47.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Looks absolutely fine to me :)
    It's just a matter of time...

It depends on your context. You’re asking in a forum that has a general bias toward sports watches and you will therefore likely get general views (as mine would be, by the way) that it’s okay.

But does that accord with your own views on watch sizing? If you have to ask the question, perhaps it’s overlarge for your tastes.

Journeyman

Thanks for all the responses people!

gbn13: spot on. The dial appears huge due to the internal rotating bezel. I actually think the auto no date wears perceptibly larger than the date because its bezel is narrower. My Rolexes both have a noticeable bezel that makes them wear a little smaller. Never actually measured the dial size.

I've now tried on this watch 4 separate times throughout the year. Liking it more each time I try it on. I may take the plunge since I don't have a watch that has this "bold stature." I don't want a dive watch that just looks like everything else out there. I feel the Polaris doesn't (except maybe the Longines Legend Diver...)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    It depends on your context. You’re asking in a forum that has a general bias toward sports watches and you will therefore likely get general views (as mine would be, by the way) that it’s okay.

But does that accord with your own views on watch sizing? If you have to ask the question, perhaps it’s overlarge for your tastes.
    That is true. I've always seen it as ever so slightly too large. But I've yet to wear something that size for an extended period of time. My wife thinks it looks good. She has a small Reverso, a 26mm DateJust and a 34mm Junghans Max Bill manual wind (a broad range of sizes). She thinks I can add a larger watch.

Quote Originally Posted by tcy148 View Post
    That is true. I've always seen it as ever so slightly too large. But I've yet to wear something that size for an extended period of time. My wife thinks it looks good. She has a small Reverso, a 26mm DateJust and a 34mm Junghans Max Bill manual wind (a broad range of sizes). She thinks I can add a larger watch.
    But it’s you has to wear it. Not her. Not us. You probably know your own tastes well enough, and your doubts should tell you something. Listen to yourself :)

Master
    There fact that you feel the need to ask is it’s own answer. You are unlikely to settle with this watch, and that would be a costly misjudgement.

Master
    It looks fine, plenty of space left on your wrist. It all comes down to being used to it.

If I go from a sub to a pam, it feels and looks huge, same with my Pelagos. After a few hours it looks fine & then seems normal after a day or so.

When I put the sub back on, the feel like a ladies watch until I get used to it again.

If you like it, get it. Doesn’t look like a dinner plate on your wrist at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I've now tried on this watch 4 separate times throughout the year. Liking it more each time I try it on.
    Go for it then - it is not as if you are buying unseen which is what many of us do here when we purchase from SC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks to me like it's at the maximum for your wrist but still fine - I think comfort will also be fine as the crown and pusher won't hit your hand

Journeyman
    Looks great. Have you considered the blue face on brown strap? Looks pretty stunning to me:

I personally think it looks great on you; definitely not too big.

Journeyman
    Looks just right on you and for this watch I personally prefer the rubber strap over bracelet

No issues from me

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by arun1uk View Post
    Looks great. Have you considered the blue face on brown strap? Looks pretty stunning to me:
    I have. The blue dial is eye-catching but I feel won't age particularly well. One of the primary reasons why I like the date is because it it's the most faithful to the original (minus the Memovox).
    I also find the non-date auto to be slightly too busy. It's got too many minute marks. If you know what I mean...

Journeyman
    I have the exact same size wrist as you, I have bought watches in the past over 40mm and always end up never wearing them after a while. Personally I think it does look too big.

Journeyman

Got a few more pics. Slightly different angles.
    Some angles make it look bigger/smaller. I'm still not 100% commited for this reason. May have to try it on for the 5th and 6th time. Lol

I measured my wrist across the top and it's about 56mm (+/- 2mm depending on orientation).

Journeyman

Also tried on the no date. See what I mean about it wearing larger? This is 41mm.

^^^^^ Interesting to see the differences between the date and non date versions. When I tried on the non date a couple of times I didn’t even look at the date version.

From the pics I prefer the bezel/dial proportions and detail on the date version. Will have to try one on when I get the chance.

Journeyman
    ^^^^^ Interesting to see the differences between the date and non date versions. When I tried on the non date a couple of times I didn’t even look at the date version.

From the pics I prefer the bezel/dial proportions and detail on the date version. Will have to try one on when I get the chance.
    Yeah, I think the date model looks better proportioned too. I think there are also too many minute markers on the edge of the dial on the no date, makes it more busy to my eyes. You'll also have to decide whether you like the vanilla/faux vintage lume that is on the date model. The no date has standard white lume.
    I didn't like the fake lume initially but I'm now convinced it adds a bit of character to the watch. The no date also has a domed sapphire as opposed to a flat sapphire.

Craftsman
    I think it looks just on the right side of size on your wrists.

Personal taste however, very nice looking watch btw ;)

On the better photos, it’s clear the strap isn’t done up on either model. Thus we’re seeing more strap either side of the lugs than we would were the watches to be worn normally. This will tend to make the watch look better suited to (less domineering of) your wrist than were the strap to be fastened.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the updated pictures, either look good but the no-date would be my preference. Just re-measured my wrist ‘width’ and it is 55mm if that’s any comparison.

Try looking in a mirror - which should give a more realistic viewpoint. Watches tend to look ‘large’ at close quarters.

Martyn

Journeyman
    My opinion, and it may be worth very little is that it looks perfect size wise.

Only you can decide this though; how it sits and are you comfortable wearing it...

Journeyman
    Thank you to everyone for your opinions! I can get a pretty good discount of around 20% off here in Hong Kong. That said, I recently discovered Montredo. They have it at 30+% off - €4839 without VAT. Hong Kong is tax free.

Have any of you dealt with them before? I'm reading positive things about them but still being cautious.
    Last edited by tcy148; 14th January 2019 at 07:05.

These are both great, tried them on myself at the back of last year and preferred the date version too. I’ve had some bad experiences with JLC service and couldn’t bring myself to buy one but I came very close.

These are on my 7 in wrist:

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard View Post
    These are both great, tried them on myself at the back of last year and preferred the date version too. I’ve had some bad experiences with JLC service and couldn’t bring myself to buy one but I came very close.

These are on my 7 in wrist:

Service? As in aftersales service?
    The blue dial is nice but I find the auto too sparse.

Master
    I've struggled with this issue many times - the watch looks fine from a distance / in a mirror / to others, but looks a bit bigger than you'd like from the distance it's at when you're actually checking the time yourself. You could conclude that it looks fine on you and try to ignore the uncomfortable feeling you get when you are looking at it yourself, but that feeling never really goes. I've concluded that a perfectly sized watch looks good from a distance AND from close up. In the end, what's the point in having a watch if you can't unreservedly enjoy it? It is possible to find watches that work in both situations, but for those with slim wrists, it rules out a great many of them. With a similar or very slightly smaller wrist size to the OP, I've completely given up on anything 42mm, and would only consider 36-40mm, with 38mm being a good sweet spot for a contemporary size. My largest watch is a 16570 Explorer 2, pretty much on the limit for me. I quite liked the JLCs in pictures, but gave up on them the moment I saw them in the metal. Short answer - yes you can wear it and it looks ok, but don't expect that niggling doubt to ever go, as its worst angle will be exactly the one you see every single day.

According to JLC's website, the date version is 1.9mm thicker than the non-date version?

That will definitely make a difference if you are concerned about the size of the watch.

Service? As in aftersales service?
    The blue dial is nice but I find the auto too sparse.
    Yes, I had a poor time and although the outcome ended in a third JLC after two faulty ones and some awful service (read all about it here https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-service-(JLC) ) I never loved the MCC and moved it on soon afterwards. I haven't had another since and I can't bring myself to when there are so many other good options. I almost bought the date Polaris a few months ago but I went back and re-read the thread, remembered how it felt at the time (particularly my own interactions with JLC) and decided that they don't deserve any more of my money. I'm not the only one to have problems as some of the links from others in that thread show.

To clarify, this was in the UK - I'm not sure how things are in other markets and everyone makes their own decisions...

Journeyman

They just announced a gradient blue dial for the Polaris date. What do you guys think? I still like the black dial I think.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard View Post
    Yes, I had a poor time and although the outcome ended in a third JLC after two faulty ones and some awful service (read all about it here https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-service-(JLC) ) I never loved the MCC and moved it on soon afterwards. I haven't had another since and I can't bring myself to when there are so many other good options. I almost bought the date Polaris a few months ago but I went back and re-read the thread, remembered how it felt at the time (particularly my own interactions with JLC) and decided that they don't deserve any more of my money. I'm not the only one to have problems as some of the links from others in that thread show.

To clarify, this was in the UK - I'm not sure how things are in other markets and everyone makes their own decisions...
    I read your thread and it does sound traumatic. I guess the allure of having a JLC is pretty high but they do seem... delicate.
    It's one of the reasons why I've stuck with Rolex for so long. However, this year I decided to branch out a bit. My father bought a VC overseas chrono and my wife bought a small Reverso Duetto. So I desperately want to add a JLC or something to the list.

Journeyman

This watch was not officially announced but I caught a screen shot of it on Wei Kohs revolution YouTube Channel. They quickly deleted and reuploaded the video after.

This watch was not officially announced but I caught a screen shot of it on Wei Kohs revolution YouTube Channel. They quickly deleted and reuploaded the video after.
    Ah that explains why I haven’t been able to find any info online since watching the Revolution coverage the other evening.

It does look rather good.

Journeyman
    Looks spot-on!