closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko SKX013. Any real world reviews?

Master

Seiko SKX013. Any real world reviews?

Evening chaps. Perhaps it’s my age, but I find myself being drawn more and more to the smaller watch these days.
    I currently have a Monster, which I’ve always considered £ for £ to be quite simply one of the best value watches ever, however having recently put down the 40mm sports watches in favour of an old Datejust, I find putting the Monster on that it is simply too big and bulky and, well, I’ll say it - no longer to my taste.
    I think there is a place in any collection for a nice cheap durable “holiday” diver, and looking around at the Seiko range the SKX013 has come to my attention as being a little smaller whilst retaining most of the features which I love about the Monster (lume, water resistance, day/date display, Hardlex crystal etc etc). My only concern (looking at pictures) is that it does seem to be quite a thick watch despite its smaller diameter.
    I’m interested to hear if anyone has one and a real world review rather than those on google.
    TIA.
    PM22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Piemuncher22; 5th January 2019 at 08:59.

Master
    I had one but couldn’t get on with the height to diameter/lug to lug proportions as you mention. Will be going back to the skx007/009 for my next holiday watch.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Another fan of smaller watches here and I much prefer the 013 to the 007 for lots of reasons besides the size. Had the 013 coming up to ten years (March 2009) and still love it. Thickness is the same as the 007 but not really an issue unless you plan to wear it under a cuff (which I don't - always wear shirts with the sleeves rolled up). Worn occasionally nowadays and still ticking along just fine. Accuracy has drifted a bit from bang on when new to about +8s/day now. Looks like new even though I don't baby my watches. Currently on an Uncle Seiko Tropic strap. A lot of my history tied up in this watch so will never part with it.
    Last edited by Geralt; 5th January 2019 at 10:38.

It is as you say a thick watch for the diameter. If it concerns you before you have even seen it then get the SKX007.

I don’t understand the enthusiasm for the 7s26 in a ‘holiday’ watch. Quartz makes much more sense IMO.

I have one and love it. The height to diameter balance is a little off, but for a beater you can’t complain.

Will dig out some wrist shots and relearn how to post pictures here!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    I don’t understand the enthusiasm for the 7s26 in a ‘holiday’ watch. Quartz makes much more sense IMO.
    That’s Interesting. What makes you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    That’s Interesting. What makes you say that?

Two reasons, based on experience.

First if you are taking the watch off on say a two-week holiday (e.g. on the beach) it will probably stop, and without hacking or hand-winding will be a pain to get going again. Obviously if you never take it off this isn’t an issue.

Second if you have flights to catch (and x-rays to go through) relying on a fairly inaccurate cheap movement is aan added complication. Whenever I’ve been in this situation with a cheap auto and not sure whether the time is correct or not I’ve wished I’d been wearing a quartz... so I now have a quartz.

It is as you say a thick watch for the diameter. If it concerns you before you have even seen it then get the SKX007.

I would say the 7s26 is more at home on holiday than anywhere else. It can be hard work when it runs down at home when you rotate with other wearers. If you go away with just one watch you will be wearing it all day so the lack of hacking and manual wind won't bother you. It often comes packaged up with water resistance and a day date feature which I do find handy more than any other time of the year. It's accurate enough to just set once and leave it alone, you would be away for a month before it drifted enough to bother you. I know quartz will deliver all that too with greater accuracy but the skx007 is a perfect hol watch imho. Regards.

Master

Seiko SKX013. Any real world reviews?

Two reasons, based on experience.

First if you are taking the watch off on say a two-week holiday (e.g. on the beach) it will probably stop, and without hacking or hand-winding will be a pain to get going again. Obviously if you never take it off this isn’t an issue.

Second if you have flights to catch (and x-rays to go through) relying on a fairly inaccurate cheap movement is aan added complication. Whenever I’ve been in this situation with a cheap auto and not sure whether the time is correct or not I’ve wished I’d been wearing a quartz... so I now have a quartz.
    Fair enough. I prefer my holiday watch to be a diver since I wear a watch all day rather than keep my phone by my side at the pool/beach and can cope with a bit of drift over a couple of weeks since I don’t feel the need for COSC compliancy on my hols.

Having said that, Eddie’s PRS18 is also a contender for my next holiday beater and sits nicely between the 007/009 and the 013.

PS Apologies for the thread hijack, Paul

Last edited by lughugger; 5th January 2019 at 12:31.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyT View Post
    I have one and love it. The height to diameter balance is a little off, but for a beater you can’t complain.

Will dig out some wrist shots and relearn how to post pictures here!

If someone could talk through how you post pics on here so that the image is actually showing in the post rather than as a link to an attachment, that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    If someone could talk through how you post pics on here so that the image is actually showing in the post rather than as a link to an attachment, that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Type [img] then paste in the URL of the image then type [img/] without any spaces.
    F.T.F.A.

A few shots of mine. I couldn't get on with it and I like smaller watches

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Type [img] then paste in the URL of the image then type [img/] without any spaces.
    Thanks !

So it has to be an image that is hosted somewhere else, and you can't just upload an image from your hard drive and have it appear in the post ?

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Thanks !

So it has to be an image that is hosted somewhere else, and you can't just upload an image from your hard drive and have it appear in the post ?
    You can go to postimages.org and upload an image from your harddrive. It will even allow you to resize for forums. Once uploaded to there, you will get a link to copy and paste into your post on here. Use the ‘hotlink for forums’ option, as you will get a few choices!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    You can go to postimages.org and upload an image from your harddrive. It will even allow you to resize for forums. Once uploaded to there, you will get a link to copy and paste into your post on here. Use the ‘hotlink for forums’ option, as you will get a few choices!
    That's really helpful ... thanks very much !

I'm also on the fence for buying the SKX013, meawhile I found a nice condition 7C43-6010 quartz, almost the same dimensions of SKX013 and pulled the plug, for a practical watch I think I will prefer quartz.

I have small wrists, was afraid the 42mm of ther larger SKX brothers was too much.

I have 6 2/3" wrists and thought the 013 would be too small & top heavy for the width. Turns out it's fine, really nice under the radar versatile holiday watch that's been all over the world with me. It's just spent a month in Cambodia with me.

I take a spring bar tool so I can dress it up on a Strapcode Super Oyster or keep it chilled on a one piece nylon. It only stops if I've not worn it for a day or so, which is no problem on holiday. Never had a problem with magnetisation from airport scanners.

I'd highly recommend this for the money!!