closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Teju lizard strap quality

Teju lizard strap quality

I bought a Di Modell Teju lizard strap at the start of September and have worn it occasionally on my Seiko SARB031 over the four month period since then (in an office in the UK in Autumn).

I was very pleased with the new strap, but it now looks very dull and also feels a bit lank - hard to describe, but it looks and feels like it has been worn for a couple of years rather than a few weeks.

Is this usual with lizard? Is four months a reasonable life for a £25 strap worn occasionally in an office environment?
    Last edited by vortgern; 2nd February 2019 at 10:15.

Craftsman
    Lizard skin straps are a bit more delicate than other skins but what you described does not sound normal. I have had lizard straps last years with weekly wear. Plus Tegu is the “higher end”’ side of lizard skin.

Your problem may have to do with the tanning and the construction of the strap itself.... can you get in touch with the vendor?

BW,
    Chi Kai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds defective, I have one for my omega it’s been on it for ages with no issues at all in fact it still looks and feels almost new.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    I bought a Di Modell Teju lizard strap at the start of September and have worn it occasionally on my Seiko SARB031 over the four month period since then (in an office in the UK in Autumn).

I was very pleased with the new strap, but it now looks very dull and also feels a bit lank - hard to describe, but it looks and feels like it has been worn for a couple of years rather than a few weeks.

Is this usual with lizard? Is four months a reasonable life for a £25 strap worn occasionally in an office environment?
    Are you sure it's Teju? £25 is so cheap that I suspect you might have a reconstituted leather with a teju pattern stamped on it.

I did some very extensive research on Teju before selecting it as the standard fit strap for my watches and I can report as follows:

- It's damned tough - close to saddle leather.

- It ages beautifully and has high longevity - something to do with their being no calcium in the skin. I have to add a caveat to this because longevity is based on my 25 year old wallet and not watch straps since I only switched to Teju straps last year.

- It flexes well without creating stress concentrations at key parts (buckle, bends) - again - something to do with no calcium, along with the size of the scales and the pattern and thickness of the skin.

- It's the most beautiful skin in the world if treated, used and cut properly - you can have medium scales on most of the strap and much smaller ones along the buckle and holes.

- The meat inside the skin is OK to eat but isn't a delicacy - essentially the texture of chicken and tastes of whatever its been seasoned with. I tested this when I was in the Amazon last year (pics below of my teju and fish meal; the fish was way better).

- The lizards aren't farmed, but are caught in the wild under managed programmes. There's a lot of them in the wild and they're not endangered.

If you want a proper Teju lizard strap then go to john at dangerous9straps in Munich. Best strap maker in the world. It'll cost about Euro 350 for one.

Last edited by LorneG; 9th January 2019 at 11:08.

Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    Are you sure it's Teju? £25 is so cheap that I suspect you might have a reconstituted leather with a teju pattern stamped on it.
    It’s a Di Modell Teju, described as genuine lizard and bought from a trusted seller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    It’s a Di Modell Teju, described as genuine lizard and bought from a trusted seller.
    Watch Band Centre says it's made from genuine calfskin with an applied teju lizard grain:

https://www.watch-band-center.com/wa...18mm-brow.html

Maybe ask the seller for a refund if he/she says real teju skin

Craftsman
    £25 does sound way to low for genuine tegu so this clarifies things!

Yes, pursue the vendor for mis-selling if you were told genuine tegu.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctam View Post
    £25 does sound way to low for genuine tegu so this clarifies things!

Yes, pursue the vendor for mis-selling if you were told genuine tegu.

BW,
    Chi Kai

You could always apply the taste test - if it tastes like chicken it's teju, if it tastes like glued together bits of cow then ...

(nothing but the most sensible advice from me)

Craftsman

Whilst I am strongly against eating endangered species for food, etc, being Chinese and adventurous, I have had my fair share of “exotic” foods and meats. And yes, lizard and snake do taste like chicken!

Craftsman

Whilst I am strongly against eating endangered species for food, etc, being Chinese and adventurous, I have had my fair share of “exotic” foods and meats. And yes, lizard and snake do taste like chicken!

Good to know you also have a sense of humour! I was taken for a meal in China last year by some fellow engineers and for fun they selected all the dishes. Dieced toad was my favourite (apart from the peas in it), shredded cow entrails were a bit yuk, and I only gave up when presented with a green egg - claiming that according to the Doctor Zeuss book I'd read, it can only be eaten with ham.

I had a Di Modell Teju a couple of years ago; it was a nice strap and - if memory serves - was stamped “Genuine Teju Lizard” on the reverse...

I have several Di Modell Teju (and other lizard) straps.

Having just checked they all say "Genuine Lizard" on the back and all look pretty much identical to when originally bought, albeit they only get occasional use.

They remain my Go To choice for vintage dress watches.

Master
    I'd say somewhere between golden eagle and osprey...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    Good to know you also have a sense of humour! I was taken for a meal in China last year by some fellow engineers and for fun they selected all the dishes. Dieced toad was my favourite (apart from the peas in it), shredded cow entrails were a bit yuk, and I only gave up when presented with a green egg - claiming that according to the Doctor Zeuss book I'd read, it can only be eaten with ham.

Precisely why my wife says whenever she goes to China on business she claims she’s a vegetarian 😂

P.s no offence to anyone, she just can’t bear a bit of exotic meat in the dishes :)