closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are all spring bars created equal?

Are all spring bars created equal?

I had never really thought about them until I took the bracelet off my Sinn and put it on a Nato, but spring bars are puny little things aren't they, the bracelet is screwed together and threadlok'd, the Nato is pretty well made, and it all relies on a couple of tiny bits of metal. So.... are there good ones and bad ones?

Not equal.
    A lot of crap ones around.

Finding good spring bars is not easy. The size and shape of the sprung pins, lengths and diameters seem infinite, and I am yet to get a good box that work well!

Always used Cousins for spring bars. Never had a problem. Usually Swiss made 1.8mm stainless steel single flange (ooh, matron!). The bead (the bit that seats in the case) on the single flange is thicker than on the double flange (I'll let you make your own jokes up).

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Always used Cousins for spring bars. Never had a problem. Usually Swiss made 1.8mm stainless steel single flange (ooh, matron!). The bead (the bit that seats in the case) on the single flange is thicker than on the double flange (I'll let you make your own jokes up).
    Is it the Rolex generic ones you go for?

I think it also depends how rough you are with them. Grimaced the other week as I watched a friend rip his watch on an Erika’s off his wrist. Could almost hear the bars bending as he did it

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    I'll have a Google and see where I can find them, thanks.

I'd be interested in a source for some good ones. I have millions of them, but most have come free with various straps and I have no idea what they are like.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    I'd be interested in a source for some good ones. I have millions of them, but most have come free with various straps and I have no idea what they are like.
    I've got more than I'll ever need, but I've not got a clue if they're any good or not, time to bin the lot and buy some ones I know are decent I think.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just go to cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsays View Post
    Is it the Rolex generic ones you go for?
    No, these are the ones I use: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/si...23mm-iso-swiss

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Just go to cousins.
    I've used Cousins and twenty(o) on ebay and not had any problems, barring my own mistakes in ordering wrong sizes etc.

FYI, there are many types out there:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    I've got more than I'll ever need, but I've not got a clue if they're any good or not, time to bin the lot and buy some ones I know are decent I think.
    Same here. I've got loads of s**te ones and time to get some decent quality ones.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Just go to cousins.
    Take that on board.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    I'd be interested in a source for some good ones.
    Same here, preferably avoiding Cousins.

I like Vostoks if they'll fit (you can order new ones from Meranom). They are really solid, without being completely oversized like Seiko fat bars (which are great, but only fit on Seikos). They don't come in all sizes though, and sometimes they are too thick, if the lugs are especially narrow or shrouded.

The rest of mine are fairly generic and while there's a small amount of variation between them, it's hard to point to any as being particularly better than others. I'd happily replace them all with anything that I know is solid and eliminates the occasional clicking they tend to produce as well.

Probably need a couple of different thicknesses too, since thicker is usually better, but bracelets tend to need especially thin ones. Not sure of the exact measurements but I can take two identical-looking springbars and find one to be a perfect fit in a bracelet while the other just won't fit in the hole.

Generally cousins for me, used the Swiss made like Geralt, single shoulder, curved, general rolex... no problems so far

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I've used Cousins and twenty(o) on ebay and not had any problems, barring my own mistakes in ordering wrong sizes etc.

FYI, there are many types out there:

Nice picture. Ta.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk