closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obtain a value

Apprentice

Obtain a value

Hi, how do I go about getting a value for my watch ?

Its a Rolex GMT master made in 1973. I have owned it from new and have the all the papers, box etc. I am not confusing shop prices with what I can get privately.

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve

Ask Watchfinder. They’ll give you a fair idea of what it’s worth to a dealer.

Master
    Just do a show and tell here

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HairySteve View Post

Its a Rolex GMT master made in 1973. I have owned it from new and have the all the papers, box etc. I am not confusing shop prices with what I can get privately.

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve
    Some pictures would help Steve
    A lot of variables

Master
    or maybe an auction house, like fellows?

Master
    If it is in really nice condition, with polished bevels intact, I dunno' but I'll hazard a guess at £10,000. If you could post some pictures that would help a lot, and our very own HM could come in with a professional asessment, if you ask nicely!

Apprentice
    Is this for insurance purposes.

If so you often see “replacement cost £*******” last thing you want is a new GMT. I’d get it appraised by a couple of companies after all it’s a 1973 GMT and the fact you’ve owned it from new it really is irreplaceable.

I’d love to see some pictures.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice

Useful suggestions.

Hi,

Some useful tips in your replies. I have photos to load but lack the ability to load them.

I shall attempt to do so. Nothing like a challenge.

Steve

I have endeavoured to post some photos, the images are too large. I will attempt again tomorrow.

Its the same on my GS users site. Took me ages to resize the images.
    Last edited by HairySteve; 6th April 2019 at 23:16.

I already want it if it’s for sale. 73 is my number!

And with only 2 posts the OP’s work here is done.

Apprentice

Helpful members

Hi,

I have had 2 offers to help this luddite with his photographs.

Hopefully they will appear on the site.

Steve

Welcome to the forum.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Chrono24 dealer prices for Rolex GMT 1675 model 1971-1974 with box and papers. Your original owner full set is probably worth at least that privately if not more.

If it is as described in original condition, 'full set' I guess price would be more than £10,000 even in a private sale.
    Giving OP the benefit of doubt that it is not a stealth sales post even if it does result in a TZ sale.
    Somebody has already expressed interest ( assuming is serious). Can work out for both.
    It is potentially a very desirable watch.
    OP, there are tips for posting pics in a sticky above.
    If you have pics on your phone, pretty easy to do using Postimage.org

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I already want it if it’s for sale. 73 is my number!
    It shouldn’t be sold through Tz-uk since the member posting does not have the right to post in t he sales corners.
    We destroy anyone who asks similar questions for anything alas than a Rolex yet we happily oversee the rules when a gmt comes up..:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Out of interest, what did a rolex gmt cost in 1973? I'm sure it was still a pretty penny back then, would be interesting to know what an average weekly wage or a few things like a pint, a pint of milk, a gallon of 4 star etc were too for comparison!

1973 would be my birth year too, but I currently am grateful i'm not fascinated by a birth year watch....perhaps because the 70s suffered some wakey designs that didn't age that well...although the gmt has stood the test of time very well

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Out of interest, what did a rolex gmt cost in 1973? I'm sure it was still a pretty penny back then, would be interesting to know what an average weekly wage or a few things like a pint, a pint of milk, a gallon of 4 star etc were too for comparison!

1973 would be my birth year too, but I currently am grateful i'm not fascinated by a birth year watch....perhaps because the 70s suffered some wakey designs that didn't age that well...although the gmt has stood the test of time very well
    These might help

https://blog.crownandcaliber.com/rol...-watch-prices/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abl...-analysis/amp/

Hopefully this thread will not go south as I really want to see some good pictures of this full set watch..

Master
    Thank you, interesting to see the rise!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    We destroy anyone who asks similar questions for anything alas than a Rolex yet we happily oversee the rules when a gmt comes up..
    Very fair point.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Chrono24 dealer prices for Rolex GMT 1675 model 1971-1974 with box and papers. Your original owner full set is probably worth at least that privately if not more.

You can put up whatever price you want on Chrono24 but whether it sells is another matter.
    Also what a dealer will offer and what it then sells at can be 5K of a difference.
    I was offered £7500 for an all original 1675 last year(no original papers) by 2 respected vintage dealers so I would take advertised prices with a pinch of salt.

Master
    Did you sell it for £7.5k?

Master
    Did you sell it for £7.5k?
    Nope
    It was sold onto a member here for the same price I had bought it for a year earlier which was 8.3K
    He still has it.

Master

There’s a few shots of the OPs watch as he couldn’t post them.

Master

Obtain a value

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Nope
    It was sold onto a member here for the same price I had bought it for a year earlier which was 8.3K
    He still has it.
    I had higher quotes (by a fair margin) from a dealer and offers privately for my no paper 16750 matte dial.

Back on OPs watch, it is one thing having box and papers, it i is quite another to buy fa vintage like his from the original owner and full set, that is the holy grail for watch collectors.

Master
    I had higher quotes (by a fair margin) from a dealer and offers privately for my no paper 16750 matte dial.

Back on OPs watch, it is one thing having box and papers, it i is quite another to buy fa vintage like his from the original owner and full set, that is the holy grail for watch collectors.
    If I remember rightly your 16750 was on SC at about £9650 at the end up but didn't shift.
    That was/is a lovely thing and was very tempted.

Master
    I ended up with two final offers of 9.5k privately and a 10k offer from vintage watch shop in Paris (was considering trading it for a Kasparov AP at the time)

Master

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve
    PFA the photos on Steves behalf:

Last edited by shoppy; 7th April 2019 at 16:11.

Apprentice

Thank you to forum members "Shoppy" and "Hood"

I wish to thank the following forum members ,

"Shoppy". took time out to post the photos I could not.

"Hood". Tremendous history knowledge of this watch. Great tips and a valuation.

"MCFastbloke" for his interest in the watch.

Finding the value of a old time piece is I have found not like looking up used car values.

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    It shouldn’t be sold through Tz-uk since the member posting does not have the right to post in t he sales corners.
    We destroy anyone who asks similar questions for anything alas than a Rolex yet we happily oversee the rules when a gmt comes up..:

Exactly and well stated.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Giving OP the benefit of doubt that it is not a stealth sales post
    Ha ha. Year old account with 4 posts asking for a valuation? You're a kinder man than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    Ha ha. Year old account with 4 posts asking for a valuation? You're a kinder man than I am.
    I wish to thank the following forum members ,

"MCFastbloke" for his interest in the watch.
    Job done!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    I'll give you the £224 that you paid for it....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Job done!

Not the only one, but what can we do, its up there for all to see. Can we not Pm a new member doing a show and tell of his collection? This is not what this is, for all to see its a side swipe of the rules, i did msg the owner, and i know others did the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Not the only one, but what can we do, its up there for all to see. Can we not Pm a new member doing a show and tell of his collection? This is not what this is, for all to see its a side swipe of the rules, i did msg the owner, and i know others did the same.
    If you’re messaging him with an interest in buying it then you are part of the problem.

You ask what we can do but the answer is simple - don’t send a message with a view to buying the watch. Saying “Ah, but others do too!” really doesn’t cut it as an excuse even though I fully appreciate how tempting the opportunity to pick up something rare and valuable may be.

Assuming it’s possible, a solution would be to disable the PM function until a member has SC access, whether that be 50 or 250 posts.

Master
    agree all round

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Ask Watchfinder. They’ll give you a fair idea of what it’s worth to a dealer.
    +1 for Watchfinder. They will be back to you very quickly :)

Nice watch, but it really does need its original fat font insert.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Can we not Pm a new member doing a show and tell of his collection?
    I have had quite a few people enquiring about my watches through the Friday thread, if it’s happened to me with my minor collection I’m sure it’s happing all the time for the more collectable watches, would be interesting to know how many deals are done this way..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I have had quite a few people enquiring about my watches through the Friday thread, if it’s happened to me with my minor collection I’m sure it’s happing all the time for the more collectable watches, would be interesting to know how many deals are done this way..
    Quite a few I would think. I’m guilty of PM’ing off the back of Friday threads.

Master
    While i feel any subversion of rules feels wrong and leaves a bitter taste, before going ll upperty let's think about this. A chunk of the reason for the rule is to give some sort of 'protection' or safety to the established member doing a deal with another, yes? In the belief that the rules weed out some of the dodgier dealers and that established members want to stay part of the community and so are less likely to risk attempting a dodgy dead. yes? in which case a member pm'ing a newbie about a watch does so in the full knowledge that they don't have any of that security...the deal is outside of the community...does it risk damage to it? not so much I think...although a little it does....its a naughty behaviour but I guess I'm not going to get worked up.

Master
    While i feel any subversion of rules feels wrong and leaves a bitter taste, before going ll upperty let's think about this. A chunk of the reason for the rule is to give some sort of 'protection' or safety to the established member doing a deal with another, yes? In the belief that the rules weed out some of the dodgier dealers and that established members want to stay part of the community and so are less likely to risk attempting a dodgy dead. yes? in which case a member pm'ing a newbie about a watch does so in the full knowledge that they don't have any of that security...the deal is outside of the community...does it risk damage to it? not so much I think...although a little it does....its a naughty behaviour but I guess I'm not going to get worked up.
    That's pretty much my thoughts on it.
    Deal at your own risk.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Nice watch, but it really does need its original fat font insert.
    True Andy and someone with better knowledge than me(a lot better) reckons it is a late 70s service dial(mk6).
    Still a lovely watch with plenty history but not all original unfortunately.
    On another note I don't think watchfinder is the go to place for a vintage valuation.

Master
    late 70s service dial? how late? we have noticed it isn't a 1973 watch haven't we? the sales receipt, 28/5/76.

Master
    late 70s service dial? how late? we have noticed it isn't a 1973 watch haven't we? the sales receipt, 28/5/76.
    Nothing up with that.
    72-73ish watch from serial number and these quite often weren't sold on for a bit.
    No waiting lists back then..

Master
    Ahhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    True Andy and someone with better knowledge than me(a lot better) reckons it is a late 70s service dial(mk6).
    Still a lovely watch with plenty history but not all original unfortunately.
    On another note I don't think watchfinder is the go to place for a vintage valuation.

I did think that the dial and hands looked very clean - cleaner than my 1980 16750.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Ahhhh

Its quite common to find a vintage rolex that have a sales date 2-4 years after its estimated manufacture date.

Even stranger is that some case back date stamps, can be 2-3 years earlier than manufacture date.

Such is Rolex.

It can get even more confusing on Gold or TuTone watches, because in the US, Rolex shipped many watches without straps and used a company in Mexico to make the strap (and avoid import duties).p. They are stamped Rolex, but did not come from Switzerland. Hence the date code on the strap may reflect the sales date of the watch, rather than the watches year of manufacture, because that's when they were fitted.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    thanks

ask DD for a valuation.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app