closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recall on New Volvo XC60

Recall on New Volvo XC60

Had the car for a couple of months now, only the basic D4 Momentum but generally like the car and enough bits and bobs on it for me (although I sorely miss the power of my outgoing BMW 335d Touring). However yesterday the car started freaking out with the following warnings appearing :-

Headlamp System Malfunction
    Driver Support System Reduced Funtionality
    City Safety System Unavailable

Called into nearest Volvo Main Dealer who were great and discovered there is a recall on the car which I hadn't been contacted about. Booked in to be sorted a week Friday with a courtesy car as apparently a "huge" software update is needed. The car they say is safe to drive however the main niggles this morning are the Cruise Control now won't work which I rely on heavily as I have 4 screws in my right ankle and gets really painful held on the accelerator pedal all the time plus the Sat Nav has gone haywire. It thought this morning I had missed the Severn Bridge and decided to go directly across the Channel to Bristol

Anyone else got one and having similar problems ?

Will be keeping an eye on this thread as test driving one this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Will be keeping an eye on this thread as test driving one this weekend
    For what it's worth the car drives nicely (power aside) after coming out of a fairly powerful BMW. I was disappointed to read briefly at my Dentist surgery a couple of days ago that the latest Which magazine scores the reliability of the XC60 quite poorly. The Skoda Kodiaq came out best if I recall correctly. I test drove one of those, perhaps I shouldn't have been such a brand snob.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    Had the car for a couple of months now, only the basic D4 Momentum but generally like the car and enough bits and bobs on it for me (although I sorely miss the power of my outgoing BMW 335d Touring). However yesterday the car started freaking out with the following warnings appearing :-

Headlamp System Malfunction
    Driver Support System Reduced Funtionality
    City Safety System Unavailable

Called into nearest Volvo Main Dealer who were great and discovered there is a recall on the car which I hadn't been contacted about. Booked in to be sorted a week Friday with a courtesy car as apparently a "huge" software update is needed. The car they say is safe to drive however the main niggles this morning are the Cruise Control now won't work which I rely on heavily as I have 4 screws in my right ankle and gets really painful held on the accelerator pedal all the time plus the Sat Nav has gone haywire. It thought this morning I had missed the Severn Bridge and decided to go directly across the Channel to Bristol

Anyone else got one and having similar problems ?

Volvo is an important manufacturer of Marine Diesels as well... Volvo Penta. Combine that with the VOLVO Ocean Race and you'll realise that pinpointing you on the water is nothing special for Volvo

(I'll get my coat)

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Volvo is an important manufacturer of Marine Diesels as well... Volvo Penta. Combine that with the VOLVO Ocean Race and you'll realise that pinpointing you on the water is nothing special for Volvo

(I'll get my coat)
    Ha ha, lucky me I didn't realise the new XC60 was amphibious

I’ve been running the old model XC60 for 3 years with no issues whatsoever. I’ve come to the conclusion you can google any car from any manufacturer and you’ll read about issues, which is pretty unhelpful. Whilst I initially preferred the styling of the newer model, I’ve gone off it a bit - every SUV seems to look like the new Tiguan to me, and the distinctive rear lights and broad ‘shoulders’ that made Volvo stand out seem to have been softened

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    the distinctive rear lights and broad ‘shoulders’ that made Volvo stand out seem to have been softened
    I agree with you to a degree but when you're behind a new XC60 at night there's little chance of mistaking it for anything else.

Cheers Chris

Craftsman
    Volvo are making some lovely cars these days. I had a V60 a few years ago and was really impressed with the quality. I like the styling of the new XC40 and XC60.

This is horribly familiar... I have a 2017 XC90 and had all manner of problems with the software when it was new. I had the sat nav giving a position approximately 90 miles from the car’s actual location, frequent reboots and ultimately a complete shutdown of all the lights and screens in the car which was interesting as I was driving at night at the time.

For what it’s worth, a complete re-load of the software fixed all the odd, niggly issues I had, and they’ve never come back. Ultimately, 18 months later I honestly feel it’s the best all-round modern car I’ve had.

Software and ‘car based IT issues’ can be annoying. The voice operation and phone system on our 2016 XC60 is way behind that in our 2016 Fiesta - sure, the screen in the Volvo is better than the ford and appears to be more sophisticated, but you can mumble at the Ford and it will carry out your request flawlessly. In the Volvo with its bells and whistles, fancy screens and speedo? It seems to just take a random guess and either make a call or just repeat the same request back at you. A bit frustrating but not the end of the world!

Master
    I did around 2600 miles over 4 weeks in an XC60 D5 I rented from Avis, and was very impressed, to the point that when I got home and climbed into our Golf R for a 5 mile trip, I couldn't help compare it unfavourably to the Volvo. Sure, the Volvo wouldn't see which way it went on a winding road, but on a mix of choked city and suburban roads, and dual carriageway / single carriageway A303 work, it was comfortable, fast enough, economical and provided a great view over the hedges.

Some of the gear is great - the speed sign reading and speed warnings are helpful in changing traffic conditions; the Apple Car Play and the voice controlled gadgets work well, and my only complaint is the touch screens, which don't work as well, in my view, as conventional knobs for controlling things like heating.

I'd certainly put one on my shortlist if I was buying a new car today.

Received the recall letter today, the main thrust of which centres around the problem with the Nav and the fact that the Emergency Services would be sent to the wrong location in the event of an accident. Nothing mentioned about the other problems but presumably they are all intertwined and will all be resolved with the software update.

Happily the cruise control system has come back to life of its own accord and will hopefully stay that way.

Chris

We traded in our 15 reg XC60 D4 for an 18 reg D5 Inscription on Christmas Eve.

No problems as yet (LOL).
    The old model had been faultless over 60K miles.

Still coming to terms with "luxury car" road tax.

Master
    Blog Entries
    For what it's worth the car drives nicely (power aside) after coming out of a fairly powerful BMW. I was disappointed to read briefly at my Dentist surgery a couple of days ago that the latest Which magazine scores the reliability of the XC60 quite poorly. The Skoda Kodiaq came out best if I recall correctly. I test drove one of those, perhaps I shouldn't have been such a brand snob.
    I've had a Kodiaq for a year now. I've never had a car where the technology irritates me so much. A lot of it is the " thinking time" , the delay between asking it to do something & the car actually doing it. The driver's door unlocks when you touch the door handle but it never unlocks on tbe first pull, i always have to pull the handle twice. Crank the temperature control knob round 180 degrees at my normal rate & the temperature displays maybe 2 degrees change. Turn the knob slowly 180 degrees & it changes 6 degrees. But the biggest irritation is the delay between pushing the accelerator pedal & the car actually accelerating. It's like the car's using power as a last resort. It can be disconcerting when you pull out of a junction or on to a rdbt when you sometimes have to get a crack on. If I shift from auto to manual drive it's fine. One thing I do like about the car is the handling

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I've had a Kodiaq for a year now. I've never had a car where the technology irritates me so much. A lot of it is the " thinking time" , the delay between asking it to do something & the car actually doing it. The driver's door unlocks when you touch the door handle but it never unlocks on tbe first pull, i always have to pull the handle twice. Crank the temperature control knob round 180 degrees at my normal rate & the temperature displays maybe 2 degrees change. Turn the knob slowly 180 degrees & it changes 6 degrees. But the biggest irritation is the delay between pushing the accelerator pedal & the car actually accelerating. It's like the car's using power as a last resort. It can be disconcerting when you pull out of a junction or on to a rdbt when you sometimes have to get a crack on. If I shift from auto to manual drive it's fine. One thing I do like about the car is the handling
    This is interesting (obviously sorry the car is irritating you) which one have you got ? I was looking at the 190d Edition 7 seater, it had a lot of toys compared with my "basic" Volvo.

Recall on New Volvo XC60

Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post
    Still coming to terms with "luxury car" road tax.
    Part of the reason I stuck with the Momentum, with metallic paint the list price is £39,970 (obviously I didn't pay that) it did mean though that I couldn't even specify a spare wheel which I would have liked instead of an inflation kit because the extra £150 would have taken the car over £40k and mean paying an extra £310 a year on the road fund licence.

Had a drive of an XC60 today. I can see why the software and interfaces are so vital, there aren't any knobs! I drive a 14 year old Volvo and hadn't realised the extent to which things have moved on.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is interesting (obviously sorry the car is irritating you) which one have you got ? I was looking at the 190d Edition 7 seater, it had a lot of toys compared with my "basic" Volvo.
    It's a petrol one. 1.5TSi SE L I think it was. I was blipping the throttle tonight, momentarily flooring it. Just because. Barely a reaction from the engine. I just think the car & me are on different wavelengths. If you're a laid back, do everything in slow motion sort of driver it would probably be ok.

They have given me a good courtesy car in fairness ...

and hopefully mine will be sorted by the end of the day.

Being as it's Friday ...

the heated steering wheel is nice on this chilly morning.

Master
    OT but I love my Skoda Superb estate. Huge boot and rear leg room and can return 65mpg on a run. Will replace it with another Skoda. Will look af the Kodiaq but suspect the Superb will prove more practical.

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    OT but I love my Skoda Superb estate. Huge boot and rear leg room and can return 65mpg on a run. Will replace it with another Skoda. Will look af the Kodiaq but suspect the Superb will prove more practical
    You wouldn't get that sort of gas miles out of a Kodiaq that's for sure.

Master
    Best I've had between home and west London was 72mpg. That wasn't me driving like the Pope either - just at 95% of prevailing speed limits.

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Anyone looking at one of these should also look at the Range Rover Velar. Not sure what the price comparison is on PCP but it's lovely inside with great tech and I think they hold their value better. They are just as big (maybe bigger) inside.Make sure you go for HSE spec though.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Anyone looking at one of these should also look at the Range Rover Velar. Not sure what the price comparison is on PCP but it's lovely inside with great tech and I think they hold their value better. They are just as big (maybe bigger) inside.Make sure you go for HSE spec though.
    I agree the Velar is a very nice car, the only one I have driven (a friends) is top of the range and his PCP is £1,200 odd per month over twice as much as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Seriously would not take any of the JLR stuff on.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've averaged 29.4mpg & 16mph in my Kodiaq in the last 700 miles.

I averaged 19mph on the 9000 miles I did on my pushbike last year.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I've averaged 29.4mpg & 16mph in my Kodiaq in the last 700 miles.

I averaged 19mph on the 9000 miles I did on my pushbike last year.
    My Volvo has averaged 38.1 mpg and 36 mph over the 3,500 odd miles I have had it from new.

Was the 9,000 miles on a bike in lieu of community service or something

Master
    Blog Entries
    My Volvo has averaged 38.1 mpg and 36 mph over the 3,500 odd miles I have had it from new.

Was the 9,000 miles on a bike in lieu of community service or something
    Well it's fun passing 300+ frustrated motorists on the way to work in the mornings :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Seriously would not take any of the JLR stuff on.
    Agreed. Never had a major issue with any of the Volvo’s I’ve owned - and the 3 people I know who own Range Rovers have had no end of trouble but keep going back for more. I have to be honest, I also prefer the ‘image’ of Volvo to JLR since every yummy mummy and urban gangster decided they are the vehicle of choice (and added blacked out windows and huge alloys etc)!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Agreed. Never had a major issue with any of the Volvo’s I’ve owned - and the 3 people I know who own Range Rovers have had no end of trouble but keep going back for more. I have to be honest, I also prefer the ‘image’ of Volvo to JLR since every yummy mummy and urban gangster decided they are the vehicle of choice (and added blacked out windows and huge alloys etc)!
    Image aside, we took on 12 Evoque's on release of various spec's (drivers had to contribute for private mileage so personal choice played out). Pretty much constantly they spent as much time in the dealer as they did being driven, problems ranged from cutting out to limp home for no diagnosable reason to problems with TPMS and spurious engine management fault lights.

Over the last few years (having been out of the loop due to retiring) the fleet controller, chatting over lunch, has said they have 6 new Disco's in the fleet, 3 of which are problem child's (2 are awaiting gearbox replacements) to the point that the decision has been made that nobody can request a JLR vehicle on lease any more.

A coupe of mates had purchased them as a 'treat' on retirement - one had a fully specced Disco. After 18 months of problems and dozens of complimentary JLR Off Road experience vouchers it has been returned for a full refund. The other guy bought an ex demo RR (Full Fat) with a good spec. - now gone back with a full refund after numerous problems and crap customer service.

If it's your company car and somebody else is picking up the bills the crack on - enjoy the numerous courtesy vehicles and inconvenience without it costing you.

If it's your own money then have long hard think.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Image aside, we took on 12 Evoque's on release of various spec's (drivers had to contribute for private mileage so personal choice played out). Pretty much constantly they spent as much time in the dealer as they did being driven, problems ranged from cutting out to limp home for no diagnosable reason to problems with TPMS and spurious engine management fault lights.

Over the last few years (having been out of the loop due to retiring) the fleet controller, chatting over lunch, has said they have 6 new Disco's in the fleet, 3 of which are problem child's (2 are awaiting gearbox replacements) to the point that the decision has been made that nobody can request a JLR vehicle on lease any more.

A coupe of mates had purchased them as a 'treat' on retirement - one had a fully specced Disco. After 18 months of problems and dozens of complimentary JLR Off Road experience vouchers it has been returned for a full refund. The other guy bought an ex demo RR (Full Fat) with a good spec. - now gone back with a full refund after numerous problems and crap customer service.

If it's your company car and somebody else is picking up the bills the crack on - enjoy the numerous courtesy vehicles and inconvenience without it costing you.

If it's your own money then have long hard think.
    This could go a long way to explaining JLR's current troubles.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Way back in the 90's we had a string of LR products as company vehicles, to this day I fail to understand why people still buy them.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Though all the Jaguar's we've had have had very few reliability issues.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.