closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where to buy new laptop, suggestions please....

Hybrid View

Where to buy new laptop, suggestions please....

Where do we reckon the best place is for a new laptop??

I need a new house laptop, and having had my fingers burnt with the present, failing, crappy Dell, I want some better value.

Requirements:
    16" screen or bigger
    Decent Keyboard
    Up to date Chip
    Windows architecture
    it's for browsing, watching films and light word processing

Doesn't need:
    Hard drive space, I have an 8Tb Synology NAS, current laptop has filled only 150Gb of 900Gb onboard
    Fancy graphics card - nobody does any PC gaming or graphics manip in my house
    Named brand
    onboard CD/DVD - got external

Budget.... Ideally £500, and if you bear in mind I don't want a gaming rig, or a 2Tb HDD or (shudder) Apple......

an online retailer ?

an eBay store ?

Master
    Bought my last one from John Lewis as i like the two year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Bought my last one from John Lewis as i like the two year warranty.
    You get 2yrs under UK consumer law, in any case - despite what the likes of Apple would like you to think.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    You get 2yrs under UK consumer law, in any case.
    Not 100% true....

Last time I was buying a laptop (2016) I used scan.co.uk -- I got what I wanted, no complaints about the experience. Here's their home/office offer: https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...ome-office/all

Journeyman
    Had a myriad of laptops over the years which in 6-12 months are out of date and slow as f@ck. Got a Macbook Air a couple of years ago and I can honestly say I would never buy any other make of laptop again. Apple all the way for me now. it will still run as quick as the day you bought however many years you've had it.

I'm a Mac user for work, but a large screen Chromebook will do the job perfectly and cheaply. I got rid of an MBP because it was overkill for the same kind of use as you, and have been delighted with a 15 inch Acer Chromebook. Laptops Direct is the place I used.

Dell outlet - the offers and availability change every day but if you keep looking you'll get a deal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Dell outlet - the offers and availability change every day but if you keep looking you'll get a deal.
    Not bought a laptop from there but had good value desktops so I'm sure it's worth a look.

My last two I got from here. Never had a problem.

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk

Master
    A tick for the Dell outlet. I have had two from there and each time very good reliability. On the first one, after 5 years, the battery charging/whatever circuit went but I still used it for a couple more years with just mains power only getting rid of it when it couldn't keep up with windows and the programmes. The current one is an i5/17" and that is also c. 5 years old and still going strong. No problems.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    A tick for the Dell outlet. I have had two from there and each time very good reliability. On the first one, after 5 years, the battery charging/whatever circuit went but I still used it for a couple more years with just mains power only getting rid of it when it couldn't keep up with windows and the programmes. The current one is an i5/17" and that is also c. 5 years old and still going strong. No problems.
    Current Dell has succumbed to the mains/charging issue you speak of, which is a motherboard problem. So it is now tied to the charging lead with battery stuck at 0%

Burnt fingers from Dell, sorry not going back. It was only vaguely average for it's money anyhow, so I don't owe them any loyalty.

I've had three from there over the years. The arrive looking untouched and I've been pretty pleased. I only changed when I fancied an upgrade.

I notice the outlet has a 30% off on various laptops at the moment (bear in mind the price you see does not include VAT...)

Journeyman
    I have had a surface pro 2 for personal use and i alsi log on remotely via citrix to work form it.
    previously had a MacBook pro and sold it as I couldn't get on with it.
    Love the surface wouldn't be without one