closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Appreciating SS Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by Gary G View Post
    Maybe I just don’t like the BLNR that much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What about sales corner? Do you like that?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Buy, insure, wear.
    Indeed. But, for a non-vintage piece, your typical insurance will be on the basis of RRP not an artificial, enhanced market value - which I think is absolutely correct, but perhaps not for everyone and their objectives.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Similar feeling here. Have had my BLNR since 2015 and love it but once it is officially discontinued at Basel and the prices go even higher I will probably retire mine to the safe and for special occasions.

A friend with a £40k+ spend with London AD who was on the list for a BLNR just got a text this morning from the manager saying it is officially gone and that they would work hard to get him something new from Basel ASAP. This with Rolex Passion Report 'confirming' the BLNR as discontinued a few weeks ago has convinced me enough.

Shame, as I love wearing it but there's a big difference between wearing a 6k watch and a 9-10k watch. I just wouldn't feel as comfortable.

I will probably pick up a second hand DSOTM or starting wearing my Sub ND after Basel.
    I don't see the big difference.
    What is the point in having it if you don't wear it?
    Once it is out the stickers wearing it really aint going to affect its value.
    Don't be a slave to your possessions.
    As Ally says just make sure its insured.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I don't see the big difference.
    What is the point in having it if you don't wear it?
    Once it is out the stickers wearing it really aint going to affect its value.
    Don't be a slave to your possessions.
    As Ally says just make sure its insured.
    You're right but I think living in London risks are a bit higher so maybe I'm just more aware than I otherwise would or should be. About 18 months ago someone was targeted and killed for their Datejust.

Its just common sense really, I wear a G-Shock or some other beater for DIY/garden/car work and all other times wear something really nice that I can appreciate..

While your here alive and well you might as well enjoy your time (see what I did there!) or whats the point..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Its just common sense really, I wear a G-Shock or some other beater for DIY/garden/car work and all other times wear something really nice that I can appreciate..

While your here alive and well you might as well enjoy your time (see what I did there!) or whats the point..
    Pretty much my approach. I can’t remember the last time that I didn’t wear a decent watch for at least part of the day.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Pretty much my approach. I can’t remember the last time that I didn’t wear a decent watch for at least part of the day.
    I do subscribe to this theory.

however can't say I don't worry about the Mrs more than myself from watch to rings on left hand can't say it isn't in the back of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Just 245 posts to go to,
    Or simply reading PMs.........

Blog Entries
    You're right but I think living in London risks are a bit higher so maybe I'm just more aware than I otherwise would or should be. About 18 months ago someone was targeted and killed for their Datejust.
    Bit off topic - but you don't have to be wearing a Rolex for that to happen to you these days.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Bit off topic - but you don't have to be wearing a Rolex for that to happen to you these days.
    Very true. You can be delivering a pizza in Walthamstow and have acid thrown on your face for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    True, but it is the most recognisable for some thief/mugger to take a chance on (the chance that it is genuine)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I think that the people who buy watches and then are too frightened to wear them are probably spending outside their comfort zone.

Get something cheaper and wear it all the time without fretting.

Not sure I agree with you Neil. My family was not well to do and we weren't very lucky to get much things but when we did my mother was all about taking care of things you own if you want to keep them. Even today if it's $5.00 or $50,000.00 I go out of my way to try to insure it stays in perfect shape and doesn't get damaged because my mothers warning is always in the back of my mind.

In our current throw away society I believe it's a good lesson that's embedded in me.

John

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Not sure I agree with you Neil. My family was not well to do and we weren't very lucky to get much things but when we did my mother was all about taking care of things you own if you want to keep them. Even today if it's $5.00 or $50,000.00 I go out of my way to try to insure it stays in perfect shape and doesn't get damaged because my mothers warning is always in the back of my mind.

In our current throw away society I believe it's a good lesson that's embedded in me.

John
    True but too scared to wear at all?

Shame, as I love wearing it but there's a big difference between wearing a 6k watch and a 9-10k watch. I just wouldn't feel as comfortable.
    I just don’t get it. It’s a bit like saying I’d be comfortable driving a £6k used BMW, but not a £9k one to me.

Even a £4K Rolex looks like a Rolex. A £2k old DJ looks a little like a £40k Platinum Day Date.

It’s a watch - if you bought it and recognised it for the brand it is/was - nothing has been changed, except you are lucky enough to enjoy what has been an appreciating asset.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    And if you've put a deep gouge in the case, or damaged the bezel, how is this going to fix it? It amuses me how people think a 'service by Rolex' will transform a battered watch into a new one again.

I think there's a valid point here, once a watch reaches a certain value it makes no sense to risk getting it damaged and hence the wearability diminishes.

Much of it depends on activities/lifestyle, but attitude to risk also has a bearing. Many watches are now too expensive to enjoy, personally I would take no pleasure in wearing a watch that's worth over £10K , I really wouldn't. Turn the clock back 15 years and most watches were worth less than £3K, far happier times IMO.

Thesedays I prefer something worth a few hundred pounds for everyday wear. I like some of the cheaper Rolex models but I liked them a whole lot more when they were worth a lot less.

I could pull the money out of my back pocket if I wished, that's not the point, it's the conspicuous consumption aspect that troubles me thesedays. Some folks revel in it, I`m the opposite.

Well said

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

Yep

I have a DA46 which gets worn daily as it fits very well my needs. A PRS4 for when it's more likely to get knocked and others for other uses/situations.

If I had a Rolex, it would be worn on, for me what would be the appropriate occasion!
    Last edited by wadsy; 11th January 2019 at 11:10.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    And if you've put a deep gouge in the case, or damaged the bezel, how is this going to fix it? It amuses me how people think a 'service by Rolex' will transform a battered watch into a new one again.

I think there's a valid point here, once a watch reaches a certain value it makes no sense to risk getting it damaged and hence the wearability diminishes.

Much of it depends on activities/lifestyle, but attitude to risk also has a bearing. Many watches are now too expensive to enjoy, personally I would take no pleasure in wearing a watch that's worth over £10K , I really wouldn't. Turn the clock back 15 years and most watches were worth less than £3K, far happier times IMO.

Thesedays I prefer something worth a few hundred pounds for everyday wear. I like some of the cheaper Rolex models but I liked them a whole lot more when they were worth a lot less.

I could pull the money out of my back pocket if I wished, that's not the point, it's the conspicuous consumption aspect that troubles me thesedays. Some folks revel in it, I`m the opposite.
    That's all very well Paul, but you are not the target market for a current model Rolex then. The OP appears to be (although their post somewhat this slightly), as unlike you he has or had bought three current model Rolex watches in quick succession.

I may or may not continue to buy current model Rolex - the availability is slowly putting me off to be honest. I've gone back to buying lots of Omega and trying other brands again; when I would have preferred to add a small number of Rolex offerings.

If you are in the market to buy a new Rolex, then any increase in value shouldn't really be an issue, and certainly shouldn't be putting you of wearing the bloody thing!

I'll have to stop driving my convertible car in the summer. Because it's worth a few quid more then. ;)

See this thread.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...erent-Approach

I took a different approach - buying to wear and not worrying about resale/investment etc. Bought last June and still wearing without a care. These things are truly as hard as nails - the SubC which I have feels as if it could last a number of lifetimes.

Its had a hard life but everything works perfectly and timekeeping is more or less spot on if you leave dial up overnight.

While expensive, my admiration for Rolex continues. Not hype - just a brilliant, reliable product.

Master
    I am in the armed forces and wear my watches every where. Deployments, exercise, running don ta the ranges they all get worn irrespective of value. People sometimes stop and so me why, my reply is it’s a watch to be worn and it’s insured. Also when I baby my watches I end up damaging them more than when I am card free.

Craftsman
    Sorry but isn't the easiest thing to actually acknowledge to yourself it's not a 10k watch but a 7k watch that is meant to be a beater?

Regardless of the resale price it's not a >10K watch that you'd be more concerned about getting scratched or damaged as the service/replacement from rolex doesn't go up just becuase people are over paying.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    £7k, £10k or, in years to come, a £20k watch. Who cares? Either wear it, enjoy it, and prosper, or profit financially in the short term and realise a profit to spend on......more watches!

Some interesting points and opinions on this thread. I'm 'lucky' enough to own a BLNR and I absolutely love it. I am, however, far from wealthy so this was a significant purchase for me and it is by far my most expensive watch to date (it marks my first 10 years in business).

I only wear it indoors or on those occasions when I can be comfortable that it's not going to attract the wrong attention or potential damage. I work away during most of the week and when I return, the first thing I do is put the BLNR on and it's like falling in love all over again. I wear inexpensive quartz watches during the week (that I love) so the BLNR is a real treat and I really look forward to being re united with it.

Master
    I really enjoy my BLNR. It’s the one I’d keep if I could only keep one.

I went through a phase of buying the Rolex SS models and sticking them in the safe. Then I thought stuff it, I like to wear them, peeled the stickers and lost a few quid on paper.

If you like the watch, keep it. If you don’t like the watch, sell it.

Master
    Maybe for those too scared to wear a more worn in watch would be the way to go.
    I bought a 16700 a couple of months back-not cheap(8K) but unpolished with a few little dings here and there.
    Thought about sending for a refinish but just decided to wear it pretty much everywhere including the gym and don't worry at all about it getting marked.If I had got it taken back to pristine it would probably mean dollying it a little bit again.
    Strangely liberating doing it this way.

Master
    I bought a 16700 a couple of months back-not cheap(8K) but unpolished with a few little dings here and there.
    Thought about sending for a refinish but just decided to wear it pretty much everywhere including the gym and don't worry at all about it getting marked.If I had got it taken back to pristine it would probably mean dollying it a little bit again.
    It’s a fair point. I reckon I bought the most ‘loved’ 116600 in the UK! Was a beater for a couple of years.

I'm with you on that. My BLNR is extremely worn, marks everywhere, and that's how I love it. The only paranoia is if it gets robbed and I can't replace it like for like.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    If you like the watch, keep it. If you don’t like the watch, sell it.
    While I agree with you to some extent it’s not really the way with sought after Rolex, essential they are like a good solid share increasing in value with the added kudos of brand that does project the idea of wealth, like it or not it turns them into investments so lots will be sitting in a dark safe for a rainy day.

I wear mine but try to avoid anything that may damage it but also don’t stress about it either..

Master
    The day I start seeing any watch as ‘like a good solid share’ is the day I give-up this hobby. The only point of a watch is to enjoy it, to wear it, not to ‘project the image of wealth.’
    Watches are a private pleasure, something for the wearer to enjoy, not a desperate attempt to imply social status. Especially as other people don’t care.
    Virtually no-one outside us hobbyists knows what a ‘Daytona’ actually is. Long may it remain so.
    Last edited by paskinner; 12th January 2019 at 09:40.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The day I start seeing any watch as ‘like a good solid share’ is the day I give-up this hobby. The only point of a watch is to enjoy it, to wear it, not to ‘project the image of wealth.’
    Well said

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Some interesting points and opinions on this thread. I'm 'lucky' enough to own a BLNR and I absolutely love it. I am, however, far from wealthy so this was a significant purchase for me and it is by far my most expensive watch to date (it marks my first 10 years in business).

I only wear it indoors or on those occasions when I can be comfortable that it's not going to attract the wrong attention or potential damage. I work away during most of the week and when I return, the first thing I do is put the BLNR on and it's like falling in love all over again. I wear inexpensive quartz watches during the week (that I love) so the BLNR is a real treat and I really look forward to being re united with it.
    And good for you, wearing a watch that you love when and where you want to based on your choice as an adult. I can understand that people might choose to behave very differently but suggesting that people shouldn’t own watches because you don’t wear it like “me” is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I think that the people who buy watches and then are too frightened to wear them are probably spending outside their comfort zone.

Get something cheaper and wear it all the time without fretting.
    I absolutely agree - if you own a thing designed for wearing and constantly fret about it getting worn then, if you're honest with yourself, you can't actually afford the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    I absolutely agree - if you own a thing designed for wearing and constantly fret about it getting worn then, if you're honest with yourself, you can't actually afford the thing.
    Partly true, but I have some watches that are far cheaper than the watches I wear day to day, and I fret about them getting marked up ;)

Don't know why, it's just one of those things. For example I'm more precious about my mint 2531 and 2254 than a lot of other watches I own.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    some very strange arguments put forward for wearing expensive watches all the time

why would I want to wear a 5513 or indeed any Rolex Sub on the beach in South Africa, or for that matter when gardening or working on my car - I have several other watches that are worth just a few £'s and tell the time just as well

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    some very strange arguments put forward for wearing expensive watches all the time

why would I want to wear a 5513 or indeed any Rolex Sub on the beach in South Africa, or for that matter when gardening or working on my car - I have several other watches that are worth just a few £'s and tell the time just as well
    That goes without saying. I think this thread argument really started with people not wearing it at all or just at home indoors which is a little diff.

I will wear my mine down the pub or on long walks in the hills but would have the sense to take off my Aquanaut when it is guaranteed to get scratched on rocks etc or doing weights in the gym with steel dumbells
    Last edited by kultschar; 12th January 2019 at 13:44.

Master

Heading to the beach at Camps Bay in 4 wks and will have a Sub of some sort on.
    Safest place for it.

Yep - it's 'horses for courses' imho

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    That goes without saying. I think this thread argument really started with people not wearing it at all or just at home indoors which is a little diff.

I will wear my mine down the pub or on long walks in the hills but would have the sense to take off my Aquanaut when it is guaranteed to get scratched on rocks etc or doing weights in the gym with steel dumbells
    defeating my own comment above but up to 3 years ago I always wore my 16610 or 16570 on holiday all day long - now a rethink, maybe because of the (value) increase of Rolex and the worsening security problems, (anywhere and everywhere in the world) - just bought a SKX for this years trip.

- - - Updated - - -

Heading to the beach at Camps Bay in 4 wks and will have a Sub of some sort on.
    Safest place for it.
    Knysna for us in 3 weeks - with a CWC and SKX

Master
    Knysna probably safer than most parts of the UK!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Knysna probably safer than most parts of the UK!
    we've been going for the past few years - certainly break-ins seem to be on the increase

we [the Estate] is surrounded by the usual electric Fence with an Allsound car on the perimeter 24/7 - but "they" seem to be able to get in and out

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Just don't get this? 99% of the population wouldn't know Rolex if they fell over one! I wear my BLNR most days, as it there to tell me the time and for me to admire. No one else has ever noticed it or passed comment.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    You say that but it all depends. My family and my wife's side of the family have never noticed any of my watches but the first day I wore a Rolex to work three people asked about it, if it was real, how much I paid for it. After that it was back to Seiko and Omega at work.

It all depends on where you are and who's looking. Admittedly the older people in my office would never notice but the ones in the 25-35 age range are the ones who comment.

Probably doesn't help that I work in sales.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Just don't get this? 99% of the population wouldn't know Rolex if they fell over one! I wear my BLNR most days, as it there to tell me the time and for me to admire. No one else has ever noticed it or passed comment.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Don't fool yourself.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You say that but it all depends. My family and my wife's side of the family have never noticed any of my watches but the first day I wore a Rolex to work three people asked about it, if it was real, how much I paid for it. After that it was back to Seiko and Omega at work.

It all depends on where you are and who's looking. Admittedly the older people in my office would never notice but the ones in the 25-35 age range are the ones who comment.

Probably doesn't help that I work in sales.
    My daughter, a trainee maths teacher, was asked by a 10 year old in her class whether her Oyster Perpetual (a graduation present) was real!