closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tattoos - love 'em or hate 'em, let's see 'em

Tattoos - love 'em or hate 'em, let's see 'em

My first one is a celtic knot "hunting dogs". Refects my love of shooting and working my dogs.....

and my "Mythology" sleeve (work in progress) combined with my passion for sculpture......

Master
    Some very talented work there.

Blog Entries
    I am not into tattoos but often - and certainly in this case- I can appriciate the artist's skills! The images are wonderful!

Menno

Craftsman
    Very nice! Especially like the inside of the nicest, amazing detail!

Craftsman
    Personally can't stand them on a human canvas, but the work is excellent.........

This is what you meant, right?

Wow the artwork is very impressive... Who did those then?

i like tattoos but never had one, i could never find something i wanted on a permy basis!

if your arm is a work in progress whats planned next? Full sleeve maybe

cheers

matt

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    You aspire working for the local council aesthtics committee approving house paint colours ans permissible plants for front gardens me thinks.
    Yep, and while i am at it ban the inbreeding of French Bulldogs.

The artwork is good. I especially like the detail in the Celtic knot. On a more general note, why do people get a name inked on their arm in a font that no-one can read? Have tattooists not heard of Arial or Times New Roman. I would like a tattoo but can't come up with anything that I would be happy having for the rest of my life. I have thought about a traditional Japanese design and this local chap is good http://whitedragontattoostudio.com/collection.php However but I fear that after the first 3 minutes, I wouldn't be able to face the many hours his work would take.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    The artwork is good. I especially like the detail in the Celtic knot. On a more general note, why do people get a name inked on their arm in a font that no-one can read? Have tattooists not heard of Arial or Times New Roman. I would like a tattoo but can't come up with anything that I would be happy having for the rest of my life. I have thought about a traditional Japanese design and this local chap is good http://whitedragontattoostudio.com/collection.php However but I fear that after the first 3 minutes, I wouldn't be able to face the many hours his work would take.
    Well if your Samurai ancestors fought in the tattie famine then you should probably go for it.
    Last edited by studly; 29th May 2015 at 20:12.

Blog Entries
    Do you REALLY want to see Colin in all his glory????????

Didn't realise you were into shooting Jason and good ole topic of natter next time we meet up.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Do you REALLY want to see Colin in all his glory????????

Didn't realise you were into shooting Jason and good ole topic of natter next time we meet up.

Pitch
    Only been shooting clays of late (to keep my eye in). Belonged to a lovely syndicate in Beyton but with travel commitments didn't get there as often as I liked unfortunately.

That's impressive. If I dare ask, what would something like that cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    That's impressive. If I dare ask, what would something like that cost?
    My last two were around Ł450 and 6hrs each. The last one was particularly painful near the armpit but worth it.

Master
    Like a lot of people, I admire the skill and creativity but why would you deface your body like that?

I know a lot of people do it as a memento of a significant life event but I'd maybe just buy a nice new watch.

What was that joke about Welsh town tattoo Dolgellau?

Another tattoo thread, and I still don't get it.

A little different from the standard beckham style tats :-)
    Its not difficult to 'read' my tats !

Last edited by gasgasbones; 30th May 2015 at 08:35.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gasgasbones View Post
    A little different from the standard beckham style tats :-)
    Its not difficult to 'read' my tats !

That's really cool , I'm a massive Queen fan!

Cheers
    Neil

I'm not a hater. I've just never felt the need for one myself. So I'll post a pic of someone else's tattoo that I quite like...

Anyone that uses facebook and has a interest in tattoos search for polish dan, he takes it to a whole new level!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    My first one is a celtic knot "hunting dogs". Refects my love of shooting and working my dogs.....

and my "Mythology" sleeve (work in progress) combined with my passion for sculpture......

Chinnock - If you're ever considering flipping your right arm - I'll trade you mine - it's a blank canvass.

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Tattoos are only cool if they actually mean something. Like a blueprint to break your brother out of prison or some shit.

Don't be showing me that Celtic cross or any Scottish Celtic pish! Unless it is Clan related or your ancestors bailed out that muppet Robert The Bruce... just like mine did.

Don't be showing me no 'Veni, Vidi, Vici' tattoo unless you can tell me about the Roman Empire and why the fuck you are a Stoic.... or are you just a muppet?

and if you are that guy with the barb wire, mum & dad, girlfriends name tattooed on your gay ass then i have some bad news for you son.

Edit: The artwork is good on the last one op.
    A fine mini-rant, Studly!

Journeyman
    Saying you shouldn't have art on your body unless you have a deep personal connection to the subject matter is just silly. I suppose I can't have a painting of a ship on my wall unless I'm a sailor?
    I've never been scuba diving, yet I own a few divers watches because I find them aesthetically pleasing. I'm a real wrong un.

Journeyman
    Some lovely work in this thread. Very nice.

Now I'm significantly pierced and a little inked. My right shoulder blade is covered in a depiction of Dream feeding the pigeons from Neil Gaiman's Prelude and Nocturnes (inkwork by the the great Ian of Reading). It was a 21st birthday present from my mum.

I'm not convinced anybody really wants to see my fat and hairy back though; instead have a comment on the subject of tattoos by the great Randall Munroe that's always made me smile, especially as it was inspired by his wife's treatment.

I was once at a party in cape town, there were this couple of guys with tattoos and this incredible cute diminutive girl. The guys were showing off their ink and how it was symbolic of their journey in life etc etc. they asked me if i had anything. When I explained i didn't and it didn't really fit with the professional image, they become quite condescending.

This cute girl turned round and said, oh i don;t have any ink anyway, i guess i must be boring as well, i do have this though. She pulled up her shirt and she had the crescent of scars from the bottom of her rib cage her pelvis, past the midline on her back and abdomen. It was one of those truly WTF moments, I asked what the hell had happened, she smiled and said, oh i was bitten by a shark, i guess he didn't like me. In a moment all the contrived life story rubbish just seemed dumb.

I appreciate the art, I appreciate the talent in being able to do it. I've seen people who look good with the ink, but no better then they would have without it. If you have a life story please tell me about it, i prefer the conversation. The problem is that tattoos are so common now they are no lower alternative, they are . the main stream

From a professional point of view, living skin is a terrible medium for art and putting pigment into, the turn over of skin cells means the pigment will always migrate blurring the lines, it stretches and is is exposed to UV damaging the pigment, Mind you if you really want to hep the medical profession have a grid put over your entire body, it would make it much easier to sew people up as we'd have points of reference to match up the sides of the wound, just if you're wondering what to have

Craftsman
    Had this one done yesterday, by Valerie Vargas at Modern Classic Tattoos in Fulham, it's from some old Ed Hardy flash.

Master
    Some nice Inks there guys.

I keep thinking I want my first. But I'm 43 in Oct - so suspect I'm late to the party :(

@smoz That's awesome. Valerie Vargas does some brilliant stuff. Where you on the waiting list for long?

Quote Originally Posted by smoz View Post
    Had this one done yesterday, by Valerie Vargas at Modern Classic Tattoos in Fulham, it's from some old Ed Hardy flash.

Wow
    Could I ask how much that would cost?
    I need a cover up and something like that would do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    Some nice Inks there guys.

I keep thinking I want my first. But I'm 43 in Oct - so suspect I'm late to the party :(
    Never too late

Had my first at 29 then a second at 31. Went years wanting more till finally giving in last year at 42 and having another and then another 4 weeks later!

If you want one, have one. only one of mine really means anything (the third I had done) but the others are symbolic. The first was a bit of a aagh I'm coming up to 30 moment, the second I wanted to have to show the first wasn't a rash decision!

My final one I've had to cover part of my very white legs!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    @smoz That's awesome. Valerie Vargas does some brilliant stuff. Where you on the waiting list for long?
    Only about a month but it was unusual circumstances, she put a whole day aside just to do Ed Hardy flash and only mentioned it about a month ago.

If you are on twitter it is worth following her, she sometimes gets cancellations which she mentions on her twitter account. Her account is @vvmodernclassic

Master
    Enormously fat, approaching fifty, thoroughly unpleasant and rather ugly woman in my office has just had her midlife crisis and in the space of the last month, from a blank canvas, she has acquired no less than eight tattoos. Dotted around her (ample) frame from ankle to hand to shoulder, all are exquisite examples of the drop-in no-appointment-required high street tattooist's finest flash art.

Bleuuuuugh!

Still, you can't make a pig's ear into a silk purse (although, apparently, you can make a haggis).

Only about a month but it was unusual circumstances, she put a whole day aside just to do Ed Hardy flash and only mentioned it about a month ago.

If you are on twitter it is worth following her, she sometimes gets cancellations which she mentions on her twitter account. Her account is @vvmodernclassic
    Ah brilliant thanks. Yep will give her a follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooty View Post
    Saying you shouldn't have art on your body unless you have a deep personal connection to the subject matter is just silly. I suppose I can't have a painting of a ship on my wall unless I'm a sailor?
    I've never been scuba diving, yet I own a few divers watches because I find them aesthetically pleasing. I'm a real wrong un.
    That's an amusingly pointless analogy..

One is a decoration hanging on a wall, the other is decorating your body, permanently.

Tattoo’s, on a watch forum???
    Whatever next...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Chaps

When you are twenty, a tattoo makes you look cool.

When you are 50 +. a tattoo makes you look a complete and utter prat and an embarrassment to your kids.

Nearly everyone I know who has a tattoo, regrets it after time.

Regards

mick

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Tattoo’s, on a watch forum???
    Whatever next...

R
    Is that legal?

Quote Originally Posted by jneds View Post
    That's really cool , I'm a massive Queen fan!

Cheers
    Neil
    Reminds me of the Family Guy episode where this image really freaks Stewie out.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Is that legal?

Dont think so - looks fake judging from the bezel. As for copyright infringement where do I start.

Interested to know what the shield represents though.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master
    [IMG][/IMG]
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post

This is what you meant, right?
    Genuinely made me laugh out loud,

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Chaps

When you are twenty, a tattoo makes you look cool.

When you are 50 +. a tattoo makes you look a complete and utter prat and an embarrassment to your kids.

Nearly everyone I know who has a tattoo, regrets it after time.

Regards

mick
    Really?

I know a few people with tattoos and know nobody who dislikes any of them.
    I have just the one. A jaguars head high on my right arm. Done when I was 17. I'm 52 now and still love it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    Really?

I know a few people with tattoos and know nobody who dislikes any of them.
    I have just the one. A jaguars head high on my right arm. Done when I was 17. I'm 52 now and still love it.
    Funny i had mine 18 years ago and still love it.
    Plenty of my mates that are 40+ still love them and dont have kids who are embarrassed by them either.

Bit narrow minded if you ask me

Craftsman

Great work, I got one from Valerie back in 2008, when at Frith Street, Soho. Will get a picture up.

Never been tempted, my dad had one done on his forearm when he was 16, after he retired and him and mum started going on cruises etc.. he said that people would chat in the restaurant and get along great etc...
    Then he noticed when sunbathing on deck, the same folks would avoid conversation having after visibly checking out his tattoo. He reckoned he could virtually hear them thinking "what a moron"
    He had it lazered off at great expense at the age of 76 because of it.

They do suit some people though...

I used to work with a chap who had a snake tattoo along the length of his penis

Had it done whilst he was in the navy in the 60's - blind drunk and had no memory of having it done - woke up and found it like that. Said that it was jolly painful the next day. He never regretted it and seemed to think that it was still a jolly good laugh over 20 years later. He would let you have a look at it if you bought him a pint

Sorry - I don't have a photo Im afraid