closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GDPR and mobile devices?

Craftsman

GDPR and mobile devices?

Does anyone know anything about GDPR and the management of mobile devices in the work place?

I have worked for a German company since 2013 and always had various Android phones.

Yesterday I had my request for a new phone approved and bought a pixel 3.

Today the German IT manager and GDPR advisors are not happy and say it has to be returned and changed for an iPhone?

Any ideas?

Master
    I suspect your German manager is exhibiting the age old motto of “a little knowledge is dangerous”

I would certainly ask on what basis!

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I suspect your German manager is exhibiting the age old motto of “a little knowledge is dangerous”

I would certainly ask on what basis!
    Company policy - not open to debate I would suspect.

Common knowledge that Android and associated apps share data?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Apparently the basis is that Android is not as secure as iOS.

All our email comes from the German servers to our phones email client.

I was under the impression from a quick Google was that the GDPR rules for mobile management are to protect me from the company harvesting my personal information (photos, online banking etc)

It's certainly appears a minefield.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Company policy - not open to debate I would suspect.

Common knowledge that Android and associated apps share data?
    I understand this but I and others have Android phones and have done for years?

Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    I understand this but I and others have Android phones and have done for years?
    I suspect it's the 'data share' bit.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Does anyone know anything about GDPR and the management of mobile devices in the work place?

I have worked for a German company since 2013 and always had various Android phones.

Yesterday I had my request for a new phone approved and bought a pixel 3.

Today the German IT manager and GDPR advisors are not happy and say it has to be returned and changed for an iPhone?

Any ideas?

German data protection laws are much much stronger than ours (for example - Microsoft has to have a third party run its data servers for them and they have specific Germany only servers for that purpose) and so even if you are operating in the UK and subject to UK law, you will find they are much more picky.

All our email comes from the German servers to our phones email client.

All - missed that before - if they are hosted in Germany, they will not want to miss around - too much hassle.

Weird. I have a friend who works for an extremely (and famously) secretive company and the only phones he is allowed to use on their WiFi or with his corporate email are iPhone, Samsung, or Google Pixel. Anything else = gross misconduct and you're out and he's signed a contract to that effect.

On the other side my wife is only allowed her corporate email on Outlook - Android or iOS - and the app has to have a 6 digit passcode. Face/touch ID are allowed but needs to have underlying pin code.

Master
    Apparently the basis is that Android is not as secure as iOS.
    That bit makes more sense. A friend of mine works on government contracts and that is the perceived wisdom currently.

I work in IT and we have similar policies in place (although the opposite - we only approve androids of a certain version or above and no IOS)

and at the end of the day it comes down to the management software for these devices - yours must have an IOS only one and it would cost money, time and training to add android to it
    or they have subcontracted this to someone who only does IOS devices

Nothing more sinister than that and I would say from experience Android is more secure than IOS if managed properly - but IOS is easier to manage...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    I work in IT and we have similar policies in place (although the opposite - we only approve androids of a certain version or above and no IOS)

and at the end of the day it comes down to the management software for these devices - yours must have an IOS only one and it would cost money, time and training to add android to it
    or they have subcontracted this to someone who only does IOS devices

Nothing more sinister than that and I would say from experience Android is more secure than IOS if managed properly - but IOS is easier to manage...
    I suspect this is probably the closest to the right answer.

All of our computers are macs logged into a VPN then use Windows, the software is sog ERP.

My phone only has email and contacts sent to it from the server no other customer or company data.

I suspect they are planning some kind of customer database or app for our phones so need everyone on the same platform.

I doubt I can return this pixel now though so will see what happens.

Thanks for all replies.

This is nothing to do with GDPR and likely just the choice of your IT department in terms of which devices its mobile management software supports.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    This is nothing to do with GDPR and likely just the choice of your IT department in terms of which devices its mobile management software supports.
    https://www.itprotoday.com/mobile-ma...tion-meet-gdpr