closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My new Omega PO 43.5 mm 8900 caliber watch

Journeyman

My new Omega PO 43.5 mm 8900 caliber watch

I pulled the trigger on an Omega Planet Ocean 600m 8900 caliber 43.5 mm watch. Aided in great measure by a helpful forum member who secured me a 20% discount on a new watch at an AD with some monthly payment to boot and postage foc.

Loving the new watch. The size is just perfect and does not feel weighty as mentioned in reviews. 43.5 does not look large on my 6.4 inch wrist. Bit shiny but getting used to the flashy look.

Photos to follow

Craftsman
    pics...pics...pics...

Master
    As above......we needs pics!!

Blog Entries
    ‘Pulled the trigger’ . . .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelor View Post
    I pulled the trigger on an Omega Planet Ocean 600m 8900 caliber 43.5 mm watch. Aided in great measure by a helpful forum member who secured me a 20% discount on a new watch at an AD with some monthly payment to boot and postage foc.

Loving the new watch. The size is just perfect and does not feel weighty as mentioned in reviews. 43.5 does not look large on my 6.4 inch wrist. Bit shiny but getting used to the flashy look.

Photos to follow
    I see you’re from Bath. Did you get it from Mallory's? I can often be seen dribbling outside the windows of that shop...

Journeyman
    Mallory won't give 20% off on a plastic biro. Yes I drool outside their window too. Went in once but they refused to put me on their submariner waiting list.

Craftsman
    congrats on the purchase. still waiting for the wristshots...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Great size! I have both 42mm 2500 and 45.5mm 8500 versions, but I’m sure the 43.5mm would be a nice sweet spot - I do have a real soft spot for my 42mm 2500 though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Mallory won't give 20% off on a plastic biro. Yes I drool outside their window too. Went in once but they refused to put me on their submariner waiting list.
    I went in a couple of times when I was considering an IWC, they seemed nice but yeah I didn't get the impression they would be a discounter...

Time to go back with your planet ocean on and your left sleeve rolled up. 😂😂😂

Congratulations, I think 43.5mm is the perfect size for the Planet Ocean and IMHO bearing in mind the quality they are superb value..... oh and one more thing, pictures!

Journeyman

Here is one photo. Hope it works

Journeyman

Journeyman

- - - Updated - - -

Master
    Nice watch man! You are right, doesn't look bad at all on your size wrist.

I actually tried on the new Seamaster Pro 300m (the wavey dial one) and was thoroughly unimpressed. Previous iterations much nicer imo. The Planet Ocean is the Omega diver to get I think. Congrats!

Journeyman
    In the 12 hours of continuous wear here are my first impressions

Great time keeping. Absolutely spot on with my atomc wall clock for seconds. Bang on.

Very quiet. Next to my pillow and no sound. A solid looking watch

Adjusted bracelet is comfortable. Moulds well with wrist. Catches on sleeve due to height but i knew that.

Weight not an issue at all. I have worn heavier.

Bracelet extension is absolutely great feature. Micro adjustable to almost a full cm. great feature in warm climes

My only main gripe. No quick date set. The quick hour set is useful for travellers. But when in the country you have to wind the hour through 24 hr cycles to change the date. Thats a lot of winding if the watch is rotated once a few weeks. I did not know this was unique to the 8900 caliber.

The lume is adequate but not dazzlingly so.

A non shiny bezel would make this watch more sophisticated looking in my view.

Master
    My only main gripe. No quick date set. The quick hour set is useful for travellers. But when in the country you have to wind the hour through 24 hr cycles to change the date. Thats a lot of winding if the watch is rotated once a few weeks. I did not know this was unique to the 8900 caliber.
    You should be able to wind the hours and therefore dates backwards as well as forwards which makes life easier if you haven’t worn for a few weeks

Master
    Well done. A tough quality piece. You don't see many PO's on SC and I think this indicates how they are inclined to be keepers.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

In the 12 hours of continuous wear here are my first impressions

Great time keeping. Absolutely spot on with my atomc wall clock for seconds. Bang on.

Very quiet. Next to my pillow and no sound. A solid looking watch

Adjusted bracelet is comfortable. Moulds well with wrist. Catches on sleeve due to height but i knew that.

Weight not an issue at all. I have worn heavier.

Bracelet extension is absolutely great feature. Micro adjustable to almost a full cm. great feature in warm climes

The lume is adequate but not dazzlingly so.

A non shiny bezel would make this watch more sophisticated looking in my view.
    I think no quick set is a feature of all 8500 derived movements.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I think no quick set is a feature of all 8500 derived movements.
    It's not that bad - you can go forward or backwards, so you're never more than 15 days out. On average, therefore, you'd be 8 days out. I have a similar date mechanism on my Rolex GMT II and on my SMP2264 Quartz, and I just timed it as taking 30 - 31 seconds to adjust by 15 -16 days. On average, that's 15 seconds to reset the date each time you wear it. It takes on average 30 seconds or more to reset the second hand to the exact time...

Master
    Surprised about the lume, my 8500 PO lume is excellent. Great looking watch, love it.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    It's not that bad - you can go forward or backwards, so you're never more than 15 days out. On average, therefore, you'd be 8 days out. I have a similar date mechanism on my Rolex GMT II and on my SMP2264 Quartz, and I just timed it as taking 30 - 31 seconds to adjust by 15 -16 days. On average, that's 15 seconds to reset the date each time you wear it. It takes on average 30 seconds or more to reset the second hand to the exact time...
    It's not so much of an issue - and fortunately, or unfortunately I must have around 10-15 8500/9300 derived movement watches (although a few of those are non-date), so it can't be too much of an issue for me ;) - it just seemed to me to be a little bit of an oversight if you were designing a new movement. Not a deal break, and as you say it doesn't take too long to reset. it's not like an old vintage non-quickset Rolex where I would get very frustrated changing the date for an occasional wear.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Surprised about the lume, my 8500 PO lume is excellent. Great looking watch, love it.
    The lume is ok not superbly bright. But long lasting. Lasted all night after a torch charge.

They do say that the minute hand and lume dot are a different shade of green to the markers and hour hand.

I really cant make out the difference. They all look same to me.

Journeyman
    An update after week of daily wear.

The seconds is still spot on to my atomic clock. Incredible accuracy for this chronometer.

The watch feels rock solid. Compared to my submariner which i love but think feels a bit fragile. Mainly because it is smaller and thinner. This chunky PO feels like a tank

I can now see the difference in lume colour of minute hand.

The bracelet is very comfortable indeed.

The new ceramic bezel is high tech in its manufacture but unless you saw its youtube production you wouldnt know what went into its manufacture.

The CRO2 writing on dial is hardly visible. Dont let it put you off.

Its not as much a fingerprint magnet as i thought it would be

Definetly a keeper. This one wont be flipped.

Blog Entries
    Definetly a keeper. This one wont be flipped.
    We all say that.

it is a good watch though. (Mine has long gone)

Journeyman
    Congrats, looks great !

Craftsman
    It’s a great watch, I’m wearing mine today. I only recently found out you can check on the omega website the results of the metas tests - I still haven’t got round to doing it.

Craftsman
    Great watch, hope you're still enjoying it. i have the blue version. I have a just less that 7" wrist and it wears so comfy for its size. Easily the most comfy watch I own.

I keep thinking of the 2018 Seamaster though - although I understand they don't have quickset hour hand which is an awesome feature on my 8900 PO.

Edit: meant to say that the lume is about on par with 114060 and 116622 so I'm pleased with it (although i can rarelty see the difference between the green and blue lume in the night - but I am colour blind)
    Last edited by NickGaters; 18th January 2019 at 23:06.

Craftsman
    That's a cracking PO, I'm guessing it's a bit more wearable than the 45.5mm.

I just sold my 45.5 PO and i'm already missing it!

Looks great.