closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sky HD box issues - any suggestions?

Craftsman

Sky HD box issues - any suggestions?

Over the last couple of weeks my Sky HD box has developed a fault where if it’s been in standby for a while, when I turn it back on I get a blue screen with no sound. If I power cycle the box it starts working again - until the next time I put it into standby!

I’ve tried a planner rebuild and a forced update several times but the problem remains. The only thing I haven’t tried yet is a full reset of the box, obviously that’s a last resort as I will lose all my recordings.

Can anyone suggest anything else before I wipe the box completely?

The box is around eight years old now so maybe it’s just coming to the end of its working life.

Many thanks,

Brian

Blog Entries
    I had an issue (not this) with mine before Christmas and found the telephone helpline very very good.

Might be worth a try.

Pitch

Craftsman
    A blue screen is often indicative of a failing hard drive sadly. They are fairly easy to replace. You could try contacting Sky and tell them you wish to cancel your agreement and see if they offer to replace it when they ask why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    This may not be the answer you’re looking for, but when mine packed up, I was able to renegotiate the deal to have a brand new SkyQ box instead for less money. Initially they wanted to charge something for the new box but dropped that fairly quickly - I was of the opinion that I was paying for a working box already. I got the cheaper version that doesn’t do as much, rather than the more expensive deal they would prefer you to have. Fine for my needs and way better than the old box.

If worst comes to worst I've an old Sky HD box that I could let you have for postage costs (if I can find it!).

It will be about 6 or 7 years old but hasn't been touched for the past 3 or so as I've Sky Q now (which is brilliant - go for it if they offer you a deal!)

Cheers,

Mark C

I had something similar a couple of years ago

What worked for me was switching it off at the mains and then restarting after 15 mins. That said, you can pick them up on Facebook marketplace for £10-£15 locally nowadays too.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    This may not be the answer you’re looking for, but when mine packed up, I was able to renegotiate the deal to have a brand new SkyQ box instead for less money. Initially they wanted to charge something for the new box but dropped that fairly quickly - I was of the opinion that I was paying for a working box already. I got the cheaper version that doesn’t do as much, rather than the more expensive deal they would prefer you to have. Fine for my needs and way better than the old box.
    Exactly my experience, word for word. Can’t say I prefer the sky Q tbh, but it works and no more blue screens!

Try and find out if you qualify for Sky VIP. I did and got Sky Q multiroom for less money than I was paying for Sky+ HD

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    but when mine packed up, I was able to renegotiate the deal to have a brand new SkyQ box instead for less money.
    Yet another recommendation for this route.

Got a new SkyQ box, new internet router & new dish installed, plus faster Fibre Unlimited Broadband, and saved £30 on my monthly bill to boot. Required a new 18-month contract, but having benchmarked alternatives, I was happy with it.

SkyQ takes a kicking for the user interface, which is admittedly a little clunky, but it's ok once you get used to it. Other benefits of the new box over Sky+ include being able to record 3 (maybe 4?) clashing programmes on at the same time, whilst watching another channel, plus direct links to YouTube & Netflix.

And it rarely freezes and is less buggy/slow than the old Sky+ box.

Master
    For me the SkyQ box also meant a huge amount more storage than my clunky old box, and the slim box looks better too, saving some space under the tv.

Master
    I have a redundant box if you want it mate. Fully working and in use until last week.

PM me if you want me to send it, no cost.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the replies, they've been very helpful.

Regards

Brian