closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bank Card stolen, via ATM

Journeyman

Bank Card stolen, via ATM

So, posting this as it may help someone else aviod this.
    Birmingham, Saturday around 7pm, I popped down to Morrisons to get a bit of shopping & to get some cash out of the machine. Put my card in, entered my pin, pressed the option to withdraw cash..... & the screen goes back to the start, my card gobbled up by the machine.

There was a guy using the machine next to me, he says "don't use that machine, if it takes your card push this button & then the enter", I say "okay...okay", it sounded like bullsht to me + why did he wait for me to put my card into the machine before "warning" me??? He goes off, so i'm on my own by the machines.

Obviously pushing the button made no difference, so after standing around for 2 minutes like a lemon, i thought the best course of action was to consult the security guard. The security guard, said..."yeah, we do have some customers coming in with the same problem, i cant do nothing about the card, but i can call a number to help you". "Dont worry bruv, no way they can get the card out of the machine... they train us on this". We go back out & another customer goes to use the machine that took my card, i warn the customer, he ignores me & says "look it works now".

So he calls the number, we wait, we get through & the guy from the bank says.."ohh, i cant help you, this is for credit cards only", i explain that the debit card option requires a card number, which i do not have, as the machine has my card. He says..."well, nothing i can do, i'll put you back to the options, press 2". So we press 2.... & we get mr "cant help" again. I explain the situation is serious & would he please stop messing me about, he puts me through to some other guy.

Now, this guy has some sense, he uses my credit card to cross reference my account & informs me £500 has been deducted in the last 10 minutes, he asks me "was that your transaction"... i say "no, that was not me"! He puts me through to the fraud prevention department.

So, the woman on the phone asks me some questions, i answer, then starts with "when did this happen?", i say "about 30 mins ago", she responds... "why has it taken you so long to call us?" I reply, "you cant be serious, i've been messed about on phone system for 20 minutes!"

She then says..."i know you're upset, but no need to have a go at me", "i'm trying to help you, but your phone line is very bad". After a few more questions, she goes away, comes back to the phone & says they will refund the money stolen.

So it transpired, that my card was used to withdraw £500 & then a £350 purchase made from a sports shop, after discussing the issue with some friends, the consensus seems to be that the security guard was correct, the card was retained by the machine, however they must have somehow altered the machine software so it gives them your data, which they use to clone another card.

My advice is, do not leave the machine, do not take your eyes off it. I'm still not sure if the "push this button" guy is in on the scam or was it the "working now" guy? Still a big worry as i only have the banks word that have refunded me.

The “working now” guy probably got your card, and a record of your pin.
    It's just a matter of time...

Check if the card machine had a camera, and if so ask them to check any suspicious activity at/around the time you used.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Check if the card machine had a camera, and if so ask them to check any suspicious activity at/around the time you used.
    Didn't seem interested, did not even ask me to describe either of the guys that were "involved". The store manager will have done that... probably, as he had a conversation with the security guard while i was on the phone.

Craftsman
    Did they have Eastern European sounding accents by any chance? I’d say they were both in on it. Don’t hold your breath waiting for the police to investigate either. My wife was distracted as she got into her car in Sainsbury’s by someone telling her that a car had hit hers. When she got out and looked, her purse was stolen from her bag by an accomplice which she left on the passenger seat. Within minutes they had cleaned over £2,500 out of our accounts - there were 5 cards stolen, all had the same PIN number (I know, I know) and she was watched paying for her shopping and targeted. All refunded eventually but Barclays had them on camera withdrawing money and said they would give the cctv to the police. The police weren’t interested and closed the case within 48 hours but they did say that if WE could get the cctv from Barclays and get it to them, they MAY reopen the case. Lazy bastards!

Morrisons? Seriously?

No help for the past but this is why you want to be with a modern bank.

I'm with Monzo - as soon as the card was swallowed, I would have killed it in the banking app - it would then be useless. Also if there was any spending - I would known straight away from an instant notification.

Most of the banks are stuck in the early 2000s and a waste of time.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Lebanese loop?

Master
    I would think the first guy clocked your PIN, second one got your card details.

Scary indeed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Lebanese loop?
    Ahh, that old chestnut.
    Originated from the Edgware Rd in London.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Lebanese loop?
    Happened to me once in London. I didn't know why my card wouldn't come out but I stood next to the cash machine while I called my bank and they cancelled the card. I now always check the slot when I stick my card in.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Morrisons? Seriously?
    THIS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Claret67 View Post
    Ahh, that old chestnut.
    Originated from the Edgware Rd in London.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Almost certainly given the 'advice' given by the first guy is part of scam.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Almost certainly given the 'advice' given by the first guy is part of scam.
    Apparantly, the "loop" does not work on this type of ATM, also, i'm as sure as i can be there was nothing unusual about the machine. The machines are "manky", but, i've used them without issue over 50 times.

demonloop

I would think the first guy clocked your PIN, second one got your card details.

Scary indeed.
    Well, clocking a pin, is fairly easy, doesn't explain how they got their hands on a physical copy, or the original card.

Quote Originally Posted by kas9t82 View Post
    Apparantly, the "loop" does not work on this type of ATM.

You need a pretty amazing coincidence - your card get stuck and a guy undertakes one aspect known to be part of the scam to the letter but... it's just an error and during that very specific period your card gets billed by £500!

Quote Originally Posted by kas9t82 View Post
    Apparantly, the "loop" does not work on this type of ATM, also, i'm as sure as i can be there was nothing unusual about the machine. The machines are "manky", but, i've used them without issue over 50 times.

Well, clocking a pin, is fairly easy, doesn't explain how they got their hands on a physical copy, or the original card.
    Clearly it did and does.

You need to be more careful about when and where you use an ATM - nothing more complicated than this really.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

the second guy was definately in on it... he got your card out with the skimmer device that got your pin and details and emailed it off back to base (or maybe he did) and I wouldn't be suprised if the security guy wasn't on the payroll too

we have had our company credit card cloned or used three times since summer - we only use it to pay suppliers / airlines / hotels etc mostly online
    probably the number and expiry is being guessed as the uses have been amazon and netflix and things that dont enforce CVV
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 10th January 2019 at 11:07.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    No help for the past but this is why you want to be with a modern bank.

I'm with Monzo - as soon as the card was swallowed, I would have killed it in the banking app - it would then be useless. Also if there was any spending - I would known straight away from an instant notification.

Most of the banks are stuck in the early 2000s and a waste of time.
    Barclaycard do this with their app. Disable the card immediately via the app as lost/stolen. All banks should implement this

Sent via smoke signal using Tapatalk

Can also block (temporarily) permanently cancel cards from within the HSBC app

Always carry superglue.

If your card's swallowed use it in the slot.