closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2019

And............another one

Medium tyre call was not a good idea for Ferrari.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Perez 5th Stroll out in Q1

Stroll now has the longest run of Q1 exits on the grid
    Last edited by adrianw; 27th April 2019 at 19:10.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Funny isn’t it, Brands Hatch couldn’t have a Grand Prix because the run offs aren’t large enough.
    On the one hand there is no disputing that attention to safety is a good thing, but it is all a bit mwah as long as Monaco is on the roll.

Well done Verstappen btw. Not the best of strategies, not the best of tows and still fourth. Gasly´s and ToroRosso´s times too show the Honda engines in a good light.

Perez 5th Stroll out in Q1

Stroll now has the longest run of Q1 exits on the grid
    Perez's record at Baku is pretty good, of the 3 races held there he's finished 3rd twice ('16 and '18) and had a DNF in '17 - ironically it was Stroll that took the 3rd step the year that Perez didn't. It would also be fair to state that all 3 races had their share of top driver/team DNFs, though you have to be in it to win it, and both Perez and Stroll were. I do share your thoughts about Stroll though, let's see how he performs for the rest of the season and if he retains his seat on merit for '20... If Bottas stays at Mercedes could we see Ocon at Racing Point? The German team wouldn't want to keep him out in the cold for another season, I'm sure.

Lando Norris, and McLaren, had another great showing. It's always a gamble taking on a new-to-F1 driver, McLaren have done well to secure the Brit's services and Norris must be breathing a little easier than might otherwise have been if McLaren's own performance hadn't stepped up a notch, by contrast George Russell must feel like he's being suffocated.

Another excellent performance by Norris, Sainz must be feeling the pressure. Wouldn't it be so much better if Russell nicked his seat next session, just to see how the two young Brits performed against each other in identical kit.

Should be a very exciting race tomorrow. The two Mercedes duking it out. Vettel looking over his shoulder to Max, the normal mid field bun fight with Leclerc trying to make up ground, plus whatever the track throws at them.

The person who is mentally strongest, with the best race craft and who has a bit of luck should win it.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Russell really is in a tricky situation. He's clearly in the slowest car on the grid and there isn't anyone, including the team itself, who will put money on that changing any time soon, or even by the end of the season. Now that wouldn't be so bad if you could smash your teammate's results into the back end of last week however he's up against Robert Kubica...

Now, if we were comparing Russell to 2008's Pole (Kubica's best year in F1 with 7 podiums finishing 4th in the DC) then he'd be an easy comparator, however this is 2019 and, let's be honest, Kubica is probably not the driver he was. If the Brit was to out-qualify, out-race and out-score his teammate there would be plenty of people thinking that was inevitable anyway, that it wouldn't, for example, hold the same value as beating '08 Kubica. Compare Russell's situation with that of Norris' and it looks even worse in that the latter is up against much more of a known, and respected, quantity.

Russell has out-qualified Kubica 4-0 and out-raced him 3-0. Norris is 2-2 and 2-1 against Sainz, with each McLaren driver finishing ahead of the other when their teammate DNF'd. That's not the case with the Williams pairing.

So there we have it. Based upon 4 qualifying sessions and 3 races Russell has a perfect score yet it's Norris that is getting the plaudits. I told you that he's in a tricky situation.
    Last edited by CardShark; 28th April 2019 at 00:32.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Triple penalty for Gasly but from the pits is as far back as it come so making no difference. Strategic gearbox change and the >max fuel múst be deliberate as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    George Russell really is in a tricky situation. He's clearly in the slowest car on the grid and there isn't anyone, including the team itself, who will put money on that changing any time soon, or even by the end of the season. Now that wouldn't be so bad if you could smash your teammate's results into the back end of last week however he's up against Robert Kubica...

Now, if we were comparing Russell to 2008's Pole (Kubica's best year in F1 with 7 podiums finishing 4th in the DC) then he'd be an easy comparator, however this is 2019 and, let's be honest, Kubica is probably not the driver he was. If the Brit was to out-qualify, out-race and out-score his teammate there would be plenty of people thinking that was inevitable anyway, that it wouldn't, for example, hold the same value as beating '08 Kubica. Compare Russell's situation with that of Norris' and it looks even worse in that the latter is up against much more of a known, and respected, quantity.

Russell has out-qualified Kubica 4-0 and out-raced him 3-0. Norris is 2-2 and 2-1 against Sainz, with each McLaren driver finishing ahead of the other when their teammate DNF'd. That's not the case with the Williams pairing.

So there we have it. Based upon 4 qualifying sessions and 3 races Russell has a perfect score yet it's Norris that is getting the plaudits. I told you that he's in a tricky situation.
    He needs to do what Alonso did in the Minardi and land results that are outside the capabilities of the car.

Watching the GP2 races, someone needs to sabotage the safety car, it will ruin the F1 race

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Two cars starting from the pits, most likely three. Will that be Kubica (no penalty), Raikkonen (one penalty), Gasly (brace of penalties)?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A comfortable, unexciting 1 - 2 agaín.

Not uneventful, but racing wise..., well you nodded off.

I actually enjoyed the race and it was quite exciting watching the time between Botas and Hamilton in the last few laps. I really thought he’d get DRS and get past but hats off to Botas for keeping him at bay !

Anyone else notice the atmosphere between them after the race ? Very cold to each other.

As a side note, what was going on with Lewis ducking away from the camera to put the scull cap on and then wearing it on the podium ? Something medical ?
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Blog Entries
    ... but why did Leclerc lose so much after being in the lead?

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

Menno
    Perhaps tyres, although I think he put the same type on for his fastest lap ?
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON View Post
    I actually enjoyed the race and it was quite exciting watching the time between Botas and Hamilton in the last few laps. I really thought he’d get DRS and get past but hats off to Botas for keeping him at bay !

Anyone else notice the atmosphere between them after the race ? Very cold to each other.

As a side note, what was going on with Lewis ducking away from the camera to put the scull cap on and then wearing it on the podium ? Something medical ?
    No, just vanity he does not like going bald.

Master

Menno
    He was caught by the VSC just at the wrong moment as he was entering the very long & fast straight. He lost far more time having to slow down to 60% of a very high speed than the others who were in the twistier sections as they lost much less driving at 60% of a much lower speed.

Blog Entries
    I was thinking along the line of Simon: the tyres. That idea was supported by MV's comment that he couldn't get his tyres back on operating temp after (and during... he oversteered) the VSC. On Dutch TV he said that it was useless trying to overtake for P3 because there was a big chance that he would end up in the wall. The 'old MV' from two or three seasons ago would have jumped into the fight for P3 in an all-or-nothing attempt to get on the podium.

He was caught by the VSC just at the wrong moment as he was entering the very long & fast straight. He lost far more time having to slow down to 60% of a very high speed than the others who were in the twistier sections as they lost much less driving at 60% of a much lower speed.
    I hadn't thought about that! Thanks for bringing that up.

M

EDIT: I stumbled upon this: 'Renault F1 upgrade for Barcelona'

Last edited by thieuster; 28th April 2019 at 18:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Apologies for the lack of any posts before the event, I have a lot of elderly parent-related stuff going on at the moment, which takes up a lot of time.
    Having had no small amount of experience in these matters myself I offer you my sympathy and best wishes. In practical terms please also allow me to assist you by temporarily relieving you of your duty to provide the link to Mark Hughes' piece for yesterday's race.

I need to read Mark Hughes' report however I'll say now that Mercedes really are pulling off some feat. Others may say that it's becoming boring having the same team dominate the sport, 5 Driver and Constructor Championships on the trot plus four straight 1-2s so far this season cannot be sniffed at which ever way you look at it however, for me at least, boring it isn't. If anything, it could be considered to be awe inspiring. Yes, Ferrari have dropped the ball on a number of occasions and that may have contributed to their rival's success however Mercedes haven't been incident free, they're not quite so butter-fingered as The Prancing Horse though. It's no fluke that Mercedes are where they are.

Mercedes appear to be one of the most stable of teams, certainly in terms of race results. Williams are equally as stable, all be it at the opposite end of the grid, Ferrari have consistently been 2nd best with Red Bull taking 3rd, Sauber - sorry, Alfa Romeo - are stable in the midfield with Renault, Haas, Force India - arghhh, Racing Point - and McLaren taking it in turns to fill the gaps. Williams are yet, I think, to have a reliability related DNF which has got to be seen as some kind of positive.

Today marks the 25th anniversary of Roland Ratzenberger's passing, and tomorrow Ayrton Senna's. In the 25 years since Jules Bianchi is the only driver to have lost his life as a result of an F1 accident.
    Last edited by CardShark; 30th April 2019 at 10:51.

... for me at least, boring it isn't. If anything, it could be considered to be awe inspiring.
    Great summary Cardshark and on the above I agree, Toto Wolff is an example of a truly great leader and MB's success is a fantastic demonstration of the power of inspirational & effective leadership. Many prominent companies start from an idea, however, the success of MB in F1 is all about the success of leadership in a traditional technology driven sport. The counterpoint to that is watching Ferrari flounder without such accomplished leadership at the top leading to many public displays of poor decision making and tactical failures. The best car without the best leaders will not win a championship.

I find F1 interesting for many reasons but its the teams and the way they are led and operate that hold nearly as much interest as the actual racing to me, the politics not so much.

Master

Formula 1 2019

Anyone know why Toto doesn’t sit on the pit wall?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Anyone know why Toto doesn’t sit on the pit wall?
    too noisy at a guess

Maybe it's part of his management style to not be so physically present at the front line as others may be on a race weekend. He may be the Principal however it's not his job to make all the decisions on a race weekend, by keeping a slightly lower presence it may empower those employed to make vital calls, they'll know their responsibilities however they won't have someone breathing down their necks.

He's the conductor, not an instrument player.

Blog Entries
    The rumour of a Dutch GP in 2020 is getting stronger. Zandvoort will be back on the agenda; Barcelona will lose its GP.

Personally, I think that Zandvoort is the wrong spot for the modern-day GP. Hard to get to, single-lane traffic through cities and villages, no parking spots. Etc. It.Will.Be.Hell. The northern town Assen (TT Races) had/has a better proposal, enough space, motorways in three directions, closer to Germany and also had the money waiting for it. Zandvoort still needs to find sponsors...

M

The rumour of a Dutch GP in 2020 is getting stronger. Zandvoort will be back on the agenda; Barcelona will lose its GP.

Personally, I think that Zandvoort is the wrong spot for the modern-day GP. Hard to get to, single-lane traffic through cities and villages, no parking spots. Etc. It.Will.Be.Hell. The northern town Assen (TT Races) had/has a better proposal, enough space, motorways in three directions, closer to Germany and also had the money waiting for it. Zandvoort still needs to find sponsors...

M

It used to be said that Zandvoot was less than optimal due to the amount of sand that gets blown on to track, but I suppose that is now much less of an issued given some of the other circuits visited.

If it goes ahead I imagine lots of Brits will attend.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I need to read Mark Hughes' report however I'll say now that Mercedes really are pulling off some feat. Others may say that it's becoming boring having the same team dominate the sport, 5 Driver and Constructor Championships on the trot plus four straight 1-2s so far this season cannot be sniffed at which ever way you look at it however, for me at least, boring it isn't. If anything, it could be considered to be awe inspiring.
    WOAHHH; you are confusing two things and jumping to the concluison that those bored do not recognose the Mercedes effort. Well Sir, you are wrong. That does not change the obvious fact that the awsome versatile strength of all of the Mecedes team does not add up to awesome ráces, to an awsome motorsports spectacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    WOAHHH; you are confusing two things and jumping to the concluison that those bored do not recognose the Mercedes effort. Well Sir, you are wrong. That does not change the obvious fact that the awsome versatile strength of all of the Mecedes team does not add up to awesome ráces, to an awsome motorsports spectacle.
    Nope. You're confusing yourself. Read what he's actually written.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    WOAHHH; you are confusing two things and jumping to the concluison that those bored do not recognose the Mercedes effort.
    Err... No I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Nope. You're confusing yourself. Read what he's actually written.

Indeed.

No-one here is so blinkered as to not recognise their achievements, it's just that some may find their success boring - I don't. For clarity, when I use the word "some", I'm not referring to any individuals here on TZ, I'm referring to comments I've read elsewhere.

The bottom line is that I find it quite fascinating how one team can perform at such a high level over such a period of time relative to some very capable competition.
    Last edited by CardShark; 30th April 2019 at 22:33.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Great summary Cardshark and on the above I agree, Toto Wolff is an example of a truly great leader and MB's success is a fantastic demonstration of the power of inspirational & effective leadership. Many prominent companies start from an idea, however, the success of MB in F1 is all about the success of leadership in a traditional technology driven sport. The counterpoint to that is watching Ferrari flounder without such accomplished leadership at the top leading to many public displays of poor decision making and tactical failures. The best car without the best leaders will not win a championship.

I find F1 interesting for many reasons but its the teams and the way they are led and operate that hold nearly as much interest as the actual racing to me, the politics not so much.
    Thanks, and I feel the same ref the aspects of the sport that keep me hooked. It isn't just the racing (though that helps), it's the whole machine that interests me.

Without wanting to sound like I'm blowing smoke up his posterior Wolff could go down in history as one of the Principals of F1, and his approach to team leadership, and I'm using that L word intentionally, a model that could be used elsewhere.

Horner has stood the test of time as well and has tasted plenty of success, I just think that he's too much of a public finger-pointer when the crap hits the fan. He does provide an interesting contrast, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

If it goes ahead I imagine lots of Brits will attend.
    ...as well as half of The Netherlands. They'd better get the infrastructure sorted!

Blog Entries
    They won't. It's too densely populated for that. And you're right: with the 'Max-mania' here, things will not die down now the race is in our front garden. MV has Dutch company Jumbo Supermarkets as his personal sponsor. I reckon they will go completely overboard with 'specials' for vouchers, collecting stamps for free entrance etc., making it possible to be a spectator for everybody who has normally not the time and money to visit an F1 event.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ...as well as half of The Netherlands. They'd better get the infrastructure sorted!
    Forget about the latter.
    It has been a huge traffic jam since the seventies and since the bottle necks are in protected natural dunes with drink water reserves the opposing forces have too much clout. They have very good arguments ánd can point towards Assen which does not have issues. Furthermore is a cool track with even móre history albeit on two wheels.
    F1 at Zandvoort would be silly and Assen is fit for it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    ....I will however hate Monaco, as normal
    I’ve never been to a F1 race but have been promising myself for years. I’m not getting any younger so this year I’ve actually got off my arse and I’m treating myself and my son to a trip to the Monaco GP. Got a couple of half decent seats on Rascasse. I know many people say this is the most boring circuit of the lot but it’s the only one I’ve ever wanted to go to. So, looking forward to a procession of cars and no overtaking. I just hope I’m not too disappointed. And that it doesn’t rain!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    I’ve never been to a F1 race but have been promising myself for years. I’m not getting any younger so this year I’ve actually got off my arse and I’m treating myself and my son to a trip to the Monaco GP. Got a couple of half decent seats on Rascasse. I know many people say this is the most boring circuit of the lot but it’s the only one I’ve ever wanted to go to. So, looking forward to a procession of cars and no overtaking. I just hope I’m not too disappointed. And that it doesn’t rain!
    Haven't been to Monaco GP for years,but you will LOVE it, I'm sure. I've been to Silverstone, Spa, Suzuka, Donington, Monza etc etc, and still absoluely loved Monaco, despite the procession. I think it's because you are so close to the cars, and they in turn are so close to the barriers - the speed seems amplified, and the sheer excess of formula 1 comes across. By contrast at Silverstone the speeds are higher, but it looks more normal. Monaco is like an OTT cartoon of Formula 1, and fantastic (IMO).
    I'm a bit jealous - last time I went to Monaco Kimi was a noob :-)

Maybe it's part of his management style to not be so physically present at the front line as others may be on a race weekend. He may be the Principal however it's not his job to make all the decisions on a race weekend, by keeping a slightly lower presence it may empower those employed to make vital calls, they'll know their responsibilities however they won't have someone breathing down their necks.

He's the conductor, not an instrument player.
    This - I've heard in interview that Toto follows the Steve Jobs concept - if I have the best people for their job role I'm going to let them do it, they're better at it than I am.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Imo you made thé best choice.
    Been to several F1 races in the past and a lot of pre season tests and you see very little of the races, more of the tests but those lack any ambiance.
    Monaco is briljant because it is more than a race. The place and ambiance are awesome.
    Enjoy!!

As said earlier today is the 25th anniversary of Senna’s passing. Jesus, seems like yesterday.

It will be a cool, a wonderful experience and event, however I predict the racing will be rather dull.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    As said earlier today is the 25th anniversary of Senna’s passing. Jesus, seems like yesterday.
    This is worth a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xwZ...ature=youtu.be

I have never fully understood why he was so special, I think this shows it well.

This is worth a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xwZ...ature=youtu.be

I have never fully understood why he was so special, I think this shows it well.
    There's a very good book, The hard edge of genius, which gets its across very well.

Who's the greatest will always be hugely subjective, and there's very few people that have witnessed all the greats (Fangio through to the current generation).

But he's the greatest I've seen, and not by a small margin. He was capable of things in a car I don't think anyone else I've seen could do.

And a very, very complex character. So willing to go beyond the line if he felt he was right, putting himself and others in danger. But then putting himself in harm's way to help another driver.

In terms of his attitude to racing once in the car, Verstappen is probably the closest. And he's a pussycat in comparison.

I saw Senna qualifying in a Lotus at Brands Hatch in 1985. In my mind, he never had more than one wheel on the ground when cornering, yet still kept it pointing the right way.

I've always found this to be very affecting - a recreation of a Senna lap of Suzuka using light and sound:

Last to first in one lap in the rain at Donnington did it for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Last to first in one lap in the rain at Donnington did it for me!
    93? He wasn't last, 4th on the grid, 5th going into turn 1.

It was phenomenal, but the one advantage McLaren had over the Williams (and the rest) was their TC system. Undoubtedly played a role that day.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    93? He wasn't last, 4th on the grid, 5th going into turn 1.

It was phenomenal, but the one advantage McLaren had over the Williams (and the rest) was their TC system. Undoubtedly played a role that day.

Funny how the memory plays tricks on you!

Didn’t he go on to lap the whole field (or almost?) or am I remembering that wrong too?

Funny how the memory plays tricks on you!

Didn’t he go on to lap the whole field (or almost?) or am I remembering that wrong too?
    Bang on, lapped everyone but Hill. I think I read that the Williams was a bit of a pig in the wet. The active setup destroyed all feel, and in the wet was very difficult to guage grip.

Craftsman
    Didn't Senna crash at Monaco once and instead of going back to the pits, he walked back to his apartment?

Didn't Senna crash at Monaco once and instead of going back to the pits, he walked back to his apartment?
    Yes, the corner before the tunnel. Going home was closer than the pits.

Yes, the corner before the tunnel. Going home was closer than the pits.
    Somewhat reminiscent of Kimi in 2006.