closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2019

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    If Hamilton manages to win the Championship with being in a slower car over the season it would be some achievement. Ferrari reliability will be a question and how they manage Vettel. I fear Ferrari will tinker too much this season to give Vettel the best chance which could very much backfire.
    For a chunk of the season they had the slower car last season. It was only when Ferrari made the floor error and mercedes got a hold on the tyre management that the performance closed.
    The difference last year was the driver. Had vettel been 90% as consistent as Hamilton, he'd have won the title.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Isn't it 'Cooltard', like 'retard' (that thing you do to engine timing)?

Lando Norris is named after Lando Calrissian from Star Wars.
    I had assumed that Norris was his dad's name, and Lando related to the moment of conception.... Land OOOO Norris!!!!!

Watched the Channel4 version of coverage, which was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    For a chunk of the season they had the slower car last season. It was only when Ferrari made the floor error and mercedes got a hold on the tyre management that the performance closed.
    The difference last year was the driver. Had vettel been 90% as consistent as Hamilton, he'd have won the title.

I can't remember who said it, but last year Ferrari were described as 'having the best car, managed by the worst team". They certainly allowed themselves to be led down a development blind alley during the second half of the season.

Mauricio Arrivabene was subsequently hung out to dry, accused of confusing shouting at people to managing them, receiving no sympathy from the press, in retaliation for his abrupt behaviour to them since he was appointed as Team Principal. Whether Mattia Binotto can juggle the roles of Team Principal and Head of Engineering remains to be seen, but the appointment of Sylvia Hoffer Frangipane was a signal that Ferrari were making efforts to repair relationships with the press.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    I had assumed that Norris was his dad's name, and Lando related to the moment of conception.... Land OOOO Norris!!!!
    Ah yes, my Lando Calrissian comment was only valid until midday of the day it was posted. I have no idea if it's true. 

After watching both coverages I have to say I prefer the C4 edition, even with Steve Jones.

Times from the two-day Test at Bahrain:

https://www.crash.net/f1/results/917...times-combined

This season Pirelli have changed the designations of the tyres, with C1 being the hardest, and C5 the softest compound.

While George Russell's fastest time will be a welcome boost for him, the big news was, of course, the first appearance in an F1 car for Mick Schumacher, currently driving for Prema in F2, supported by the Ferrari Academy.

Dan Ticktum, about whom the least said the better, also had his first chance to drive an F1 car.

Edit: For those who don't know: https://www.motorsport-safety.org/me...tion-two-years
    Last edited by Backward point; 4th April 2019 at 13:48.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Meanwhile, there appears to have been some soul-searching at Williams:

https://grandpx.news/williams-admits...y-team-change/

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    While George Russell's fastest time will be a welcome boost for him...
    It can’t be often that the same driver is at the top, and the bottom, of the timing sheets on the same day!

1. George Russell GBR Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport 1m 29.029s (Day 2 New C5) 101 laps

23. George Russell GBR ROKiT Williams Racing 1m 33.682s (Day 1 Used C3) 27 laps

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    It can’t be often that the same driver is at the top, and the bottom, of the timing sheets on the same day!

1. George Russell GBR Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport 1m 29.029s (Day 2 New C5) 101 laps

23. George Russell GBR ROKiT Williams Racing 1m 33.682s (Day 1 Used C3) 27 laps

I am sure that Russell is confident that it was not the driver.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

That was exciting and Stroll making such good use of Ocon’s Seat.

That's 2 races in a row I've felt sorry for Leclerc. Thrown under the bus by own team this time.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    That's 2 races in a row I've felt sorry for Leclerc. Thrown under the bus by own team this time.
    Agree they shouldn’t have let him past but neither of them were exactly setting the timing screens alive were they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ferrari are experts at making themselves unpopular with the public. Years of refusing to speak to the media and now team orders from the outset (repeating the years of Schumacher and his teammates). From the first three races it would appear that they have a truly quick young driver who is very capable of beating his teammate but isn't being allowed to do so in the attempt to increase Vettel's chance of claiming the title. However, three 1st & 2nd places for Mercedes in the first three races suggests it isn't going to work.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Best forgotten.
    What?
    I forgot.

Started to do other things around the house after that ferrari swop but still watched it to the end

The Mercedes double stack was faultless, very impressive, rear wheel is 18 kilos so not easy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    The Mercedes double stack was faultless, very impressive, rear wheel is 18 kilos so not easy.
    Kind of telling no, that a wheel change is by far the most impressive of the whole race...

I guess it was always going to happen after one of the best/most exciting races in years last time out that this one would be an utter bore! Happily I recorded it and started watching a bit late, so could fast forward through large chunks.

Very interesting race in some aspects.

McLaren - WTF has happened in the McLaren camp - just bad luck or new car teething troubles?

Renault reliability has seemingly not improved which really puts them on the back foot again.

Ferrari really have their hands full with Vettel at the minute, couple of errors (again) and team orders which he could not take advantage of. This also gave up a place to Verstappen during the pit stop undercut which could not be recovered.

Strong Mercedes race (again) and impressive double pit stop.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Good win for Lewis. Great result for Mercedes. Sympathy for Norris, but that what happens when you fail to qualify well. Steady drive for Max.

However the main story story must be Ferrari. Out qualified again, Vettel still not driving like a 4 times WDC and being overshadowed by Leclerc and then issuing Team Orders so early in the race, before being beaten by Mercedes. Disappointing, but at least they are consistent.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Very interesting race in some aspects.

McLaren - WTF has happened in the McLaren camp - just bad luck or new car teething troubles?
    I think there may have been an external factor?

They had a failure on the opening lap with their Kvyat Prevention System, which resulted in both cars being wiped out.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I think there may have been an external factor?
    The 'incident' I would agree 100%, the rest of the stuff I remain puzzled about.

A DNF, lack of performance from one of the previous giants of F1?

The 'incident' I would agree 100%, the rest of the stuff I remain puzzled about.

A DNF, lack of performance from one of the previous giants of F1?
    They've had a decent start to the season, in comparison to last year. Well, lando has. Sainz can't get a break.

They'd said previously that China would be a bad weekend due to the nature of the track.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

They'd said previously that China would be a bad weekend due to the nature of the track.
    It was the same for the other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    It was the same for the other teams.
    As ever, a useful contribution. Forgetting of course that each car is different, with different strengths/weaknesses and characteristics. And certain tracks will suit, others will cause problems.

China is front limited, Bahrain rear limited. This is why Ferrari were quicker than Merc at Bahrain, slower at China. Their chassis is over working the front outer tyre, so their power advantage was totally wiped out by slow corner performance.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    As ever, a useful contribution. Forgetting of course that each car is different, with different strengths/weaknesses and characteristics. And certain tracks will suit, others will cause problems.

China is front limited, Bahrain rear limited. This is why Ferrari were quicker than Merc at Bahrain, slower at China. Their chassis is over working the front outer tyre, so their power advantage was totally wiped out by slow corner performance.

Blabla; still the same result: Mercedes as cars/team performing best, Ferrari behind. Same thing Red Bull; closing the gap.

Track difference are better or worse suited, that is all. A row ahead, a row back.

McLaren and Williams are off their game. Hope they will improve, not wave excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Blabla; still the same result: Mercedes as cars/team performing best, Ferrari behind. Same thing Red Bull; closing the gap.

Track difference are better or worse suited, that is all. A row ahead, a row back.

McLaren and Williams are off their game. Hope they will improve, not wave excuses.
    your bored!

The European tracks, should make the cars very close and hopefully the racing more interesting

your bored!

The European tracks, should make the cars very close and hopefully the racing more interesting

So bored he feels the need to continue to post about how boring it is - which is actually very boring - ironic

Also not sure why there is so much negativity about McLaren. Norris has started the season well, plus it was hardly their fault that they both got punted off in China.

Actually i am rather enjoying the season so far, especially the team dynamics. I will however hate Monaco, as normal
    Last edited by Andyg; 19th April 2019 at 22:09.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries
    your bored!

There is hope.

Master
    My 2 tickets for the pitlane grandstand are still available if anyone living near Barcelona fancies going.

Well the first practice session at Baku certainly started with a bang, not much more than 10 mins in George Russell's Williams drove over a manhole cover (on the normal racing line, and after Leclerc who may have loosened it), lifting it up and smashing the underside at the rear. The session has been stopped so that the 300(!) or so covers can all be checked before FP2 starts as they should all be welded securely, as it stands no single team completed any meaningful laps prior to the stoppage.

That's not all. The crane on the recovery truck carrying the stricken Williams back to the pits then struck a low bridge, dumping hydraulic fluid all over the car, and depending on the report you read the bridge is now closed pending a check on its structural integrity.

It never just rains for Williams, does it? The manhole situation is just plain wrong, it's not the first time that covers on street circuits have caused grief, and in this instance it has caused unnecessary damage to a chassis of a team that's struggling to even bring spare parts to a race weekend. No wonder Claire isn't happy.

BBC link:

...Williams will need to change the chassis because of damage and so regulation dictates he will not be able to run again until Saturday's final practice...

I don't understand why regulation would dictate that GW can't run again until Saturday's FP3 due to requiring a new chassis. Time constraints would take care of that matter anyway, so why regulate it in that manner as well? Am I missing something obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I don't understand why regulation would dictate that GW can't run again until Saturday's FP3 due to requiring a new chassis. Time constraints would take care of that matter anyway, so why regulate it in that manner as well? Am I missing something obvious?
    Perhaps 25.4:

Any competitor whose car has a change of survival cell after initial scrutineering (see Article25.1 above) must complete a new declaration for approval by the FIA technical delegate. However any such car may not be used until the following day.

...?

That confirms the ruling exists but not why. The survival cell would be a homologated component subject to scrutineering, so why penalise a team for having to change it? I still can't see the reasoning behind the ruling.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    BBC link:

...Williams will need to change the chassis because of damage and so regulation dictates he will not be able to run again until Saturday's final practice...
    Seems hardly fair if the cover was not secured properly. Surely that is the FIA & race organizers responsibility (downright dangerous)....cost of repairs etc too. (pot holes and claims come to mind).

And given the nature of the incident, being neither the fault of any team or driver, surely it’s wrong to penalise them for s failure on the organising body’s part?

There was a similar incident at Sepang a couple of years ago, the circuit covered the cost of the damage caused to one of the Haas chassis when a drain cover did exactly the same thing. A precedent has already been set and I'd be surprised if Williams won't be in receipt of financial compensation, though they'll also suffer the double whammy of Kubica missing a practice session at a circuit he's never raced at.

Here are a couple of videos ref the crane vs bridge.

https://streamable.com/9qv94
    https://streamable.com/6t66r

Thanks for the video links. I was wondering how hydraulic oil came from a bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    BBC link:
    So he'll probably start the race in last, where he possibly would have been anyway, sad to say. I don't suppose he has any prior experience on this track?

I'm pretty sure that Robert Kubica is the only Baku virgin. The others, including George Russell, would have raced there in either F2 or F1.

I've just read that it could be over £500k's worth of damage, let's hope that the circuit has adequate insurance!

You have to sympathise with Williams,this is the last thing they needed, they could do with some good luck, Leclerc just got away with it and Russell was the next car, he is very lucky not to have been badly hurt.

Then Stroll brings a new meaning to crashing daddies car.
    Last edited by adrianw; 26th April 2019 at 17:54.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You have to sympathise with Williams,this is the last thing they needed, they could do with some good luck, Leclerc just got away with it and Russell was the next car, he is very lucky not to have been badly hurt.
    Imo the FIA should allow Williams track time if they would have the car rebuilt in time. The replacement chassis penalty rule was not drawn up with the circuit/FIA being the cause in mind.

More bad luck for Williams - street circuits are always a challenge, but this has to put scrutiny on the track prep. and inspection process.

Looking at the video of the incident, the under tray was contacting the ground (with associated sparks from the skid plates) prior to it catching the cover.

Williams should not be penalised.

At least the manhole cover incident shows that the Williams does actually produce some downforce.

Apologies for the lack of any posts before the event, I have a lot of elderly parent-related stuff going on at the moment, which takes up a lot of time.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    At least the manhole cover incident shows that the Williams does actually produce some downforce.

Apologies for the lack of any posts before the event, I have a lot of elderly parent-related stuff going on at the moment, which takes up a lot of time.

Carry on.
    I hope everything is ok and not to stressful, get back soon

Teds back, Stewards being in consistent as usual, Vettel wrecks the weighbridge and gets vertically nothing, Gasly misses a very obscure ambiguous sign and has to start from the back, and there was another car on the scales at the time just to compound it.

Poor Williams, just cannot catch a break :(

Who’s up fir a whip round for Williams.

Funny isn’t it, Brands Hatch couldn’t have a Grand Prix because the run offs aren’t large enough.
    Last edited by adrianw; 27th April 2019 at 14:51.