closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Formula 1 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    The plot thins. The car "revealed" at the RAC Club last week may or may not have been the 2019 car, but Haas have released pictures of the full-on 2019 version, and Motorsport.com have produced a handy comparison slidey-thing to show the differences:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...-view/4334372/

So there we are. Ten years after the FIA decided that the way to spice up the racing and improve the chances of one car being able to follow, and ultimately overtake a rival, by widening the front wings and narrowing the rear, this season's cars will have wider front and rear wings in order to spice up the racing and allow... etc.

Basically, the main difference this year is that the front wings have been changed to reduce "outwash" which occurs when the air flow is directed around the outside of the front wheels by intricate shaping of the front wing elements and endplates, resulting in increased turbulence behind the car, to less complex "inwash" designs which direct air inboard of the front wheels which apparently reduces the turbulent wake, and will allow another car to follow without a drastic reduction in downforce.

So there you have it. Give it half a season and the finest aerodynamicists on the planet will have worked out a way to circumvent the rules to their team's benefit, and dump a load of turbulent hot air for the following car to deal with. The 2018 cars had front wings and endplates which worked together to produce counter-rotating vortices which blended when they met to reduce the turbulence behind the front wheels, and attach to the undersides of the cut away sidepods to exit above, and increase the efficiency of, the rear diffuser. If the FIA think that they can outsmart aero-geekery at that kind of level, they may have underestimated the engineers.
    If the FIA were serious regarding close racing all they need to do is quantify the amount or proportion of wake, as with must things it is more to do with vested interests

You're a real ray of pragmatism as always, Adrian.

I'm disappointed in you though. We're almost into pre-season testing, and no rant about Lando Norris and his daddy's money?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

You're a real ray of pragmatism as always, Adrian.

I'm disappointed in you though. We're almost into pre-season testing, and no rant about Lando Norris and his daddy's money?
    I haven’t warmed up for this year yet (-: I hope Russell gets a car that can show his obvious talent, it will be interesting to see how competitive the Ferrari Romeo is, Horner is already busy rehearsing his excuses, other than that I’ll go back to sleep for a bit.
    Last edited by adrianw; 11th February 2019 at 21:30.

I think Lance Stroll has set the bar too high - his daddy bought him an entire team!

F1 title sponsorship is a funny world these days. One team is now sponsored by an energy drink that isn’t really sold anywhere, it seems. And now, another team is sponsored by a ‘phone company that hasn’t sold any ‘phones. What could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    F1 title sponsorship is a funny world these days. One team is now sponsored by an energy drink that isn’t really sold anywhere, it seems. And now, another team is sponsored by a ‘phone company that hasn’t sold any ‘phones. What could possibly go wrong?

Finding a team that has been sponsored by Seaborne Freight?

Master
    Williams new colour scheme.

Looking at the pictures of the Merc W10, you have to wonder if the aerodynamicists have beaten the rule makers already, its a stunning looking thing. I wonder what the Red Bull will look like

Journeyman
    The Williams colour scheme looks good this year!

Journeyman
    Eagerly awaiting the new Force India scheme in a few hours

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Culminator View Post
    Eagerly awaiting the new Force India scheme in a few hours
    Here ya go.

I’m pretty sure it won’t be, but the new McLaren looks great!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Here ya go.
    Good lord. Somebody took a step back, looked at that and thought "Mmmm, that looks good!"

What a complete dog's dinner.

There's a common theme among all of the colour schemes revealed so far, in that the areas of interest, namely the lower nose, barge boards, front and undersides of the sidepods are all black, which means that interested parties can't look at any of the intricate aero solutions.

I quite like the Alfa, which is at least distinctive, and they've done something different with the front wing:

If anybody can find a head-on shot of the Alfa front wing, please post it. Thanks.

The colour scheme is either temporary or permanent, depending on who you listen to. At this stage of the pre-season there's a lot of misinformation being bandied about as fact.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukea View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not convinced - but then again I've never liked the McLaren orange and I like the dipped-wings blue even less! I certainly hope they make progress this season but I'm not holding out much hope.

Journeyman
    Yep, the Force car looks as bad as last year.

If anybody can find a head-on shot of the Alfa front wing, please post it. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D2y57UjOeE

this is sort of interesting, I haven't a clue if it is accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9O5nhGAis

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    I'm not convinced - but then again I've never liked the McLaren orange and I like the dipped-wings blue even less! I certainly hope they make progress this season but I'm not holding out much hope.
    McLarens are orange, if it was good enough for Bruce...:

The Ferrari looks ready to go as well, another great looking car, testing is going to be interesting

Didn't know that Mission Winnow is effectively Philip Morris

I'm rubbish at posting pictures but starting to think the Ferrari and Alfa front wings are dummies.
    Last edited by adrianw; 15th February 2019 at 11:58.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Thanks for that, Adrian. It seems that the teams have gone in different directions with front wing design, either the radical Alfa solution which minimises the number and width of the maximum five permitted elements, or the more conservative route of using five elements which extend to the endplates.

There's a video of Kimi Raikkonen shaking down the new Alfa at Ferrari's Fiorano test track here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLM3G_YXoTg

Most teams are using one of their permitted "filming days" as a pre-pre-season test. They are restricted to 100km, and must run specific non-race compound tyres supplied by Pirelli for these sessions.

A quick word on tyres for this season - Pirelli will as usual supply three different compounds for each race weekend, but instead of having the various compounds identified by their colours on the tyre sidewalls, they will now only use three colours: White for the hardest compound, yellow for Medium, red for soft.

Which means that for Silverstone, the hardest compound, previously blue, will be white, and the softest will be the 2018 Medium, previously coloured yellow, which in 2019 will be red, whereas for Monaco in 2019 the red tyres, which were previously Soft, will be white, and the Hypersofts, which used to be pink will now be red.

All clear? Good. Here's another attempt to explain it from Pitpass: https://www.pitpass.com/63846/Pirell...for-test-tyres