closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2019

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Someone quote me but I bet they will be dishing honours to the England cricket team, but LH and the brits in F1 will get ignored again
    I don't necessarily agree with this but I don't think Lewis will receive any significant honours until he's paying more tax in the UK.

Master
    A good win for Hamilton, I was amazed that he got fastest lap on hard tyres which were over 30 laps old. That must have been a real smack in the face for Bottas.

Excellent race overall with plenty of action, pity about the Vettel incident but good to see him apologise to Max after the race.

It was a shame that Eddie Jordan outed David Coulthard as next president of the BRDC which obviously embarrassed DC but Jordan’s predictions re driver movements raised a smile.

Another masterclass from Lewis and putting in that fastest lap at the end, on knackered "hard" tires just demonstrated how much in control he was. Well done on 6 British GP wins. SIX!!!

But alas we need to talk about Seb. Yet another poor performance and yet another self inflicted mistake, for which he initially blamed the other driver. If I was Ferrari I would be looking for another driver and suggest Seb take a year out to refocus. Frankly he is becoming a menace to himself and others.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with this but I don't think Lewis will receive any significant honours until he's paying more tax in the UK.
    To be honest I very much doubt Lewis wants/expects any honour until he retires. But living aboard didn't stop Sean Connery or Roger Moore (to name a few) from getting gongs, so it shouldn't stop him either.

But just for your information, to qualify as a U.K. Tax payer, the person must spend more than 91 days a year in the UK. Do you think LH could spend 91 days in the UK even if he wanted to given his schedule?

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    To be honest I very much doubt Lewis wants/expects any honour until he retires. But living aboard didn't stop Sean Connery or Roger Moore (to name a few) from getting gongs, so it shouldn't stop him either.

But just for your information, to qualify as a U.K. Tax payer, the person must spend more than 91 days a year in the UK. Do you think LH could spend 91 days in the UK even if he wanted to given his schedule?
    I agree, being a non U.K Tax payer should not affect any awards in my opinion. He's a talented brit and should be recognised on merit when the time comes

Banned
    Blog Entries
    An epic weekend at Silverstone...

Well done Lewis !

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by amnesia; 15th July 2019 at 08:06.

Someone was exposing the cricket and F1 thing, he said anyone can play cricket, I thought about it and decided that he had a point, and that is why the F1 hardly gets a mention today.

It is interesting, at 16.32 there are 8 cricket stories on the BBC news homepage...……………………………………………………………….and not one F1 story.

Came across this and thought it would be of interest. Really adds something atmospheric to the photos.
    https://www.boredpanda.com/photograp...mpaign=organic
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Came across this and thought it would be of interest. Really adds something atmospheric to the photos.
    https://www.boredpanda.com/photograp...mpaign=organic
    Wonderful. Capa'uest

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    It is interesting, at 16.32 there are 8 cricket stories on the BBC news homepage...……………………………………………………………….and not one F1 story.
    To be fair how many GPS has Lewis won this year and how many world cups has England cricket won

Don’t get me wrong, the BBC is biased though!

I understand the cricket thing, even the Tennis thing, but Netball - seriously!! LH beats Jim Clarke record and it's a bit of a so what. I wonder if the BBC might have more of it had they got the rights to show it or perhaps they have decided that F1 is not PC enough.

May the fleas of a 1000 camels infect the BBC's ar*eholes.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Why? It's always one of the worst races of the year.

BBC News - Formula 1: Melbourne to host Australian Grand Prix until 2025
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/49039955

Journeyman
    Lol 😂

I understand the cricket thing, even the Tennis thing, but Netball - seriously!! LH beats Jim Clarke record and it's a bit of a so what. I wonder if the BBC might have more of it had they got the rights to show it or perhaps they have decided that F1 is not PC enough.

May the fleas of a 1000 camels infect the BBC's ar*eholes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QdalHD...fauxfullscreen

I can’t actually argue with what he is saying

Looks like it’s going to be pretend racing again, drivers already having laps disallowed for track limit infringements

Master
    Ferrari imploding again.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Looks like it’s going to be pretend racing again, drivers already having laps disallowed for track limit infringements
    It is a consequence of making track boundaries and run off strips so safe that they become part of the raceable surface. Virtual track racing racing indeed.

Good to see the steady progress of RedBull-Honda.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 27th July 2019 at 16:22.

Edit: Was a question, now sorted.
    Last edited by Mouse; 27th July 2019 at 17:02. Reason: Found the answer

Master
    According to the BBC Hamilton has been under the weather this weekend, to the extent that Mercedes were worried that he would not be able to race yet he still qualified on pole.

There is a chance of a wet race tomorrow which should spice things up a little.

The big question, it’s raining a bit, are they going to ruin the whole race with a safety car start,

Something I have never said before, I want SV to win, fast car, rain and starting way down the grid.
    Last edited by adrianw; 28th July 2019 at 13:01.

Goodness knows how this is going to finish.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    It’s chaos but at least it makes it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    A lottery atm :-)

Master
    I think the stewards made a mistake in fining Ferrari for an unsafe pit release. It absolutely should have been a time penalty. I know LeClerc is innocent but it’s a relatively cheap price to pay to maintain position for Ferrari.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I think the stewards made a mistake in fining Ferrari for an unsafe pit release. It absolutely should have been a time penalty. I know LeClerc is innocent but it’s a relatively cheap price to pay to maintain position for Ferrari.
    Agreed, fining a company as rich as Ferrari is no penalty at all.

Master
    Albon to replace Gasly anyone?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Kinda cool.
    Ferrari recovering, Mercedes cracking under pressure and RedBull-Honda proving form.

Kinda bokers too; one of if not thé best race of the hybrid era.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 28th July 2019 at 16:28.

Well that was at best freakish. Good result for MV, a good result for SV, but owful for CL and VB - a bit like missing an open goal.

As for LH, I imagine he will be pretty sanguine about the whole thing. No harm done, but hopefully a few lessons learnt, especially for the bloke in Mercedes who decided not to bring him for his 5 sec penality during the 4-5? Safety car. Had that happened and LH gone in to slicks then he would have mostly likely won.

Funny old game a blip in the LH march to his 6th WDC.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Entertaining race, can a time penalty be served during a safety car? Unsafe release is a hard one, the driver goes when instructed and yes fining the team may not be the best punishment, so how about constructor points deduction instead, or, we could go back to tyres that last a whole race and get rid of pit stops.

Nicked from the Autosport forum. Sums things up very well

https://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/772..._hamilton.html

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    if the Safety Car is deployed before a driver serves his penalty, he is not allowed to serve his penalty until after the Safety Car comes back in.

Master
    Mercedes really messed up Hamiltons pit stop when he came in for a new nose cone and tyres.

The pit crew didn’t seem to have anything ready and according to C4 the stop took over 50 seconds. Hamilton finished just under 20 seconds adrift of the winner, not to say he would have won had the pit crew been on the ball but had it been a normal pit stop Hamilton should have finished much higher in the results.

Felt sorry for Bottas going out like that, the run off area on that corner looked treacherous and caught out a lot of drivers, not really fit for purpose.

The penalties given to the Alfa team have promoted Hamilton to 9th giving him 2 points and increasing his lead further over Bottas.

Austria next week and I hope both Mercedes and Hamilton are back on form.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post

Austria next week and I hope both Mercedes and Hamilton are back on form.
    We had Austria, it’s Hungary next

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    We had Austria, it’s Hungary next
    You are absolutely right, my mistake!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    the run off area on that corner looked treacherous and caught out a lot of drivers, not really fit for purpose.
    Seen Monaco, Baku and the wall of heroes on several other tracks?
    It is the same issue as the virtual track boundaries but then the less virtual side of it.

Let´s hope Hockenheim does not get scratched off in favour of yet another booooooring computer game track.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Let´s hope Hockenheim does not get scratched off in favour of yet another booooooring computer game track.
    Agree.
    Dear God.....the cars look cr@p these days.....

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    It only happened this year because it was sponsored by Mercedes, if they or another backer does not come forward then sadly it will not happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the stewards thought it to be a minor incident in that there wasn't a collision, having said that an unsafe release is an unsafe release!

Albon to replace Gasly anyone?
    It's a close call between Albon and Kvyat IMO, either way Gasly needs to stop looking back over his shoulder and start putting in Silverstone performances going forward, and by that I mean from Hungary. Driving into the back of a Torro Rosso is not the way to impress either Principal, along with one or two other drivers this season his seat is looking very insecure for 2020.

Well that was at best freakish. Good result for MV, a good result for SV, but owful for CL and VB - a bit like missing an open goal.

As for LH, I imagine he will be pretty sanguine about the whole thing.
    Lewis did appear to take it all on the chin in the post race interview that I saw, though let us not forget that it was his own mistake (followed by the correct call by the stewards ref his 5sec penalty) that screwed his race.

Mercedes really messed up Hamiltons pit stop when he came in for a new nose cone and tyres.

The pit crew didn’t seem to have anything ready and according to C4 the stop took over 50 seconds.

Felt sorry for Bottas going out like that, the run off area on that corner looked treacherous and caught out a lot of drivers, not really fit for purpose.
    The crew didn't get much notice to be fair to them, though they were still made to look like a bunch of amateurs. It looked like they weren't sure which tyres to put on, and with the new nose it was indeed a +50sec stop. Considering Mercedes is a German company the cheers (or were they jeers?) from the crowd as pitstop unravelled was quite telling.

Bottas span after moving slightly wide of the dry line at turn 1, it was the run-off area at turn 15/16 that took out Leclerc, Hulkenberg and scared one or two others. Hockenheim's drag strip forms part of the run-off in that section and the amount of rubber that has been smeared into the tarmac makes it a nightmare when it rains, Leclerc commented after the race that it isn't a suitable surface and he does have a point.

On the subject of Nico Hulkenberg, is he ever going to get his podium? As it stands he has the rather ignominious title of most experienced F1 driver in the history of the sport to have never stood on any of the 3 steps. It's not as if he's a crap driver, he's certainly keeping Ricciardo honest.

The FIA normally release the following season's calendar around September so we have a couple of months to speculate, as it stands neither Spain or Germany have contracts for 2020 so they may be swapped for the two newcomers in Vietnam and the Netherlands, as long as the latter can get Zandvoort up to spec in time for a speculated May slot. The teams are pushing against Liberty's desire to increase the number of races to beyond the 21 of this season, there's talk of a potential single year deal for Spain next year though I haven't read anything about Germany.
    Last edited by CardShark; 29th July 2019 at 04:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Nicked from the Autosport forum. Sums things up very well

https://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/772..._hamilton.html

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post

Lewis did appear to take it all on the chin in the post race interview that I saw, though let us not forget that it was his own mistake (followed by the correct call by the stewards ref his 5sec penalty) that screwed his race
    What Hamilton should have done was do a full lap distributing carbon fibre shards all over the track and trigger a safety car, the penalty was not correct, he took the responsible action, on the other hand the FIA did seem to like the safety car

What Hamilton should have done was do a full lap distributing carbon fibre shards all over the track and trigger a safety car, the penalty was not correct, he took the responsible action, on the other hand the FIA did seem to like the safety car
    How, given the regs, could the Stewards not award a penalty?

I agree that Hamilton's decision was the sensible one but he would have been aware of the drawbacks of either option. He could attempt a lap with his damaged car, which would have been lengthy and possibly unsuccessful (as well as being more dangerous for all drivers including himself). Or he could come in as he did, be responsible for incurring a mandatory penalty and present his car in the pit before his crew had time to understand the requirements.

Masterful drive from young Max he really is something special, and exciting to watch and getting better race by race, Red bull are really closing the gap now on the mercs Think the Hamiton penalty was correct he could have caused a big accident cutting right across the track on to the pit lane entrance, what was the outcome of his other investigation for driving slowly under the sc

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mav112 View Post
    Masterful drive from young Max he really is something special, and exciting to watch and getting better race by race, Red bull are really closing the gap now on the mercs Think the Hamiton penalty was correct he could have caused a big accident cutting right across the track on to the pit lane entrance, what was the outcome of his other investigation for driving slowly under the sc

See Doc 53 (link) for:

...the Stewards determined that because car 44 pitted due to his own incident during the VSC/Safety Car period, and the subsequent long pit stop, he had completed one less lap under the safety car than the cars around him. This meant that he was obliged to drive to the delta time, while the cars around him were attempting to safely catch the Safety Car. This gave the appearance that he was driving unnecessarily slowly, however in the view of the Stewards he was following the regulation.

I can't seem to find anything related to LH's penalty for missing the pit lane bollard on the page I've linked to above. Am I missing something?

not Sure why his penalty isnt on that link

but this is from the Fia race summary page.

There was more woe for Hamilton soon after. In arrowing across track to the pits he had gone in on the wrong side of the bollard at the pit entrance. The offence earned the champion a five-second time penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post

I can't seem to find anything related to LH's penalty for missing the pit lane bollard on the page I've linked to above. Am I missing something?
    I can't see anything ref Leclerc's unsafe release either, all be it only after a quick look whilst looking through your link on my mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by mav112 View Post

The only people being "masterful" were the strategists, none of the drivers had much to do with who won and who crashed, it was down to being on the right tyres at the right time.

Mercedes wrecked Hamilton's and Bottas's race by making some very poor decisions.

The best driver out there by definition of the fewest mistakes was Vettel, Verstappen lucked into a win, if the race had gone the scheduled number of laps Vettel would have Won.

The only people being "masterful" were the strategists, none of the drivers had much to do with who won and who crashed, it was down to being on the right tyres at the right time.

Mercedes wrecked Hamilton's and Bottas's race by making some very poor decisions.

The best driver out there by definition of the fewest mistakes was Vettel, Verstappen lucked into a win, if the race had gone the scheduled number of laps Vettel would have Won.
    I'd say Vettel lucked into second more than Verstappen lucked into first. Vettel got through the pack to 7th/8th quickly but then seemed to have no pace to move up any further against lesser cars and only inherited 2nd through others dropping out and a good (or lucky) strategy call from Ferrari.

Red Bull made one of the worst strategy calls of the day to put Max on the Mediums, whether it was luck or skill that he recovered from his resulting spin when others hit the barriers we'll never know.

Overall the race was a bit of a lottery (but great to watch!) but Max was a deserving winner.

Banned
    Blog Entries

On a side note

Honda says ´no-way´ to Alonso using a Honda engine for the McLaren-Andretti Indy 500 effort in 2020.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Honda says ´no-way´ to Alonso using a Honda engine for the McLaren-Andretti Indy 500 effort in 2020.
    Can’t say I blame them, after McLaren ditched the F1 engine much to Red Bull’s delight I’m sure.