closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 1449

Thread: Formula 1 2019

So Haas retains Romain alongside K-Mag.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/g...nberg/4543516/

Not sure it's as surprising as some are making out...K-Mag was already confirmed, he and Nico do not get along. and if we're being ultra harsh, Romain for all his many faults, has been on the F1 podium.

So that leaves Hulk with...maybe Torro Rosso (doubtful), Williams or back to WEC and take one of the Aston Martin seats?

Haas retaining their current lineup came as a bit of a surprise, but I'm sure that Guenther Steiner knows what he's doing.

Meanwhile, Hulkenberg looks like a wasted talent, who may be forced to ply his trade in a lesser form of racing next year, which would be a great shame. Those in the know really rate his technical abilities and feedback, so he would be a good fit at Alfa alongside Kimi, and would reduce the repair bills at the same time. Which could also leave a way clear to slot M. Schumacher Jr. into a seat in 2021, if Kimi decides to spend more time with his family, or whatever he likes to do outside of racing.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Obviously I don’t know any details but it seems an odd decision based on driver performance

Craftsman

For the best. It didn't work - I think a lot of people didn't think it would TBH - but the romantics in a lot of us wanted to see him back and competitive.

I'm a touch late to the party having only just watched the race, I've been away on holiday for a while and somehow managed to only hear who won and the team colours of 2nd and 3rd. Now I've caught up with this thread it seems that there's just as much action here as was on the track... I'm only going to pick up on a few points.

'Cilla - "Saint Lewis"? Really? C'mon. Yes, we all know that Andyg is a big fan - you can't deny that, Andy ;-) - however I haven't read anything that seriously puts him up on some kind of deity-like pedestal. There has been some robust discussion around Leclerc's driving and the subsequent action by the stewards however that's not because people feel that Lewis should have benefited from stronger penalties handed out to the Monegasque.

Secondly, it feels like FIA race stewards are in the running for becoming just as despised as MPs... Not sure if despised is the right word, however you'll know what I mean. Seriously, who'd want to be either right now?

Toto, in the post race interview shown on C4, appeared to take the result on the chin rather than bemoan any lack of action by the stewards, he admitted that they didn't have the full package to beat the race winner and that there's still work to do. That's a healthy approach, IMO.

Grosjean? I called it in my predictions a few page back, though it was no more than an educated guess. I saw it as the car being the greater issue, not the drivers, and that Grosjean's experience within the team would prevail. It is a shame that Hulkenberg is still without an F1 seat though one at Sauber would surely be more attractive than at the now ex Rich Energy sponsored team. I wonder what the odds would be on Vettel not completing his contract for next season and the other German taking his place...?

Meanwhile, at Singapore, Bottas crashed out of FP1 with Verstappen achieving the fastest lap. Ferrari's power advantage will be negated, Mercedes have had PU heat management issues at previous races and Red Bull are usually quite nimble. Here's hoping for another great race.
    Last edited by CardShark; 20th September 2019 at 14:15.

Charles on pole AGAIN tomorrow. Forza Ferrari!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master

Formula 1 2019

Ricciardo disqualified from qualifying. He will be allowed to race but he starts from the back of the grid. Something of a nightmare on a street circuit.
    Last edited by jaytip; 22nd September 2019 at 12:14.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Fast chess

Brilliant strategy from Ferrari and RB but...
    The state of the ´racing´ imo illustrated by the traffic jam behind CLC ticking off the laps till pit window.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Wrong tree

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post

'Cilla - "Saint Lewis"? Really?
    You dó realise it is not me who coined the term on this thread?!

Not the most exciting race

Master
    They shouldn’t be allowed to run so slow in the race .. 13 seconds off quali pace is just daft, another snooze fest in singers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Not the most exciting race

This. It was a shame we had so many safety cars after the pit stops, but i was actually pleased to see Vettel get a win as I was starting to feel sorry for him.

The funny thing is that the result actually improved LH championship chances. He took points out of VB and the Vettel took points away from CLC.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    13 seconds off quali pace is just daft,
    and F1 is the only ´racing´ where that is possible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    and F1 is the only ´racing´ where that is possible.
    You wouldn’t catch anyone else in other formulas doing anything but trying to extract the maximum from cars and tyres, that’s how a slow Vettel managed the undercut in fresh air, leclerc has nobody but himself to blame

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You wouldn’t catch anyone else in other formulas doing anything but trying to extract the maximum from cars and tyres, that’s how a slow Vettel managed the undercut in fresh air, leclerc has nobody but himself to blame

Well, ´racing´ is basically crossing the line first a slow as possible.
    The crux is that in all racing the limit of that ´possible´ is set by the others overtaking ...
    F1 is often much like a race between trains on a single line: Overtaking only at the stations.

Well, ´racing´ is basically crossing the line first a slow as possible.
    The crux is that in all racing the limit of that ´possible´ is set by the others overtaking ...
    F1 is often much like a race between trains on a single line: Overtaking only at the stations.
    that is certainly true at Singapore, even the commentary team spent most of the race talking about the back of the field

Master
    that is certainly true at Singapore, even the commentary team spent most of the race talking about the back of the field
    I agree with that, the back of the field was more exciting anyway

I have given up on F1 and I have been a fan since the early 1990`s.

I think I would prefer to see them in identical go karts.

I can predict the championship winner before winter testing lol.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I have given up on F1 and I have been a fan since the early 1990`s.

I think I would prefer to see them in identical go karts.

does predict me accurately, if so you need to start going to the bookies then, and please share it with us!

does predict me accurately, if so you need to start going to the bookies then, and please share it with us!
    It is so predictable that the bookies give you terrible odds so you barely make a few % of your stake.

And then you get a total fluke one year and end up down overall so gambling is total bull.

Ok, if you’re that good, predict the 1-2-3 at the end of the season!

We’re 3/4 through donut should be easy enough for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Ok, if you’re that good, predict the 1-2-3 at the end of the season!

We’re 3/4 through donut should be easy enough for you!
    I don't reply to people who are cheeky sorry.

Formula 1 2019

I don't reply to people who are cheeky sorry.
    It’s a perfectly reasonable request given that, according to your earlier post, you can predict the winner almost three months before the season starts.

However, I have noted that you didn’t say that you could accurately predict the winner so I’ll just accept your comment for the bullsh*t it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It’s a perfectly reasonable request given that, according to your earlier post, you can predict the winner almost three months before the season starts.

However, I have noted that you didn’t say that you could accurately predict the winner so I’ll just accept your comment for the bullsh*t it is.
    Edited out so I don't get reported + banned.

Anyhow I predicted the winner 3 years in a row so I don't need to prove anything
    Last edited by xellos99; 23rd September 2019 at 12:49.

Formula 1 2019

You’ll not get a ban for calling me either cheeky or obnoxious, I’d not worry about that.

Predicting a Mercedes driver to win for the last three seasons isn’t exactly startling news. If you correctly predicted Rosberg then that’s more luck than judgement IMHO.

I’m pretty certain that next season won’t be so easy to predict and when the new rules come in in 2021, who knows?

Master
    Poor call by Mercedes re not pitting Hamilton at same time as Vettel although I guess they were hoping for an early safety car which could have effectively given him a free stop.

That and the three safety cars really ruined Hamiltons race, especially given the slow lap times and the difficulty of overtaking in Singapore.

Too soon to say if Ferrari have cracked it yet given the slow laps but they were impressive.

Looking forward to next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Poor call by Mercedes re not pitting Hamilton at same time as Vettel although I guess they were hoping for an early safety car which could have effectively given him a free stop.

That and the three safety cars really ruined Hamiltons race, especially given the slow lap times and the difficulty of overtaking in Singapore.

Too soon to say if Ferrari have cracked it yet given the slow laps but they were impressive.

Looking forward to next weekend.

I'm not. It's Sochi, undoubtedly the worst track on the calendar. I may not even bother to watch.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I'm not. It's Sochi, undoubtedly the worst track on the calendar. I may not even bother to watch.
    Indeed, yet the weird nature of the not racing track has provided/caused some unexpected thrills.

Yep the one track I've never bothered watching - it's a terrible track. To think we no longer have the likes of Turkey and instead have this nonsense.

Still gives me time to catch up on WEC.

Sorry but I really hate street circuits, if the country can afford to host a race then they should be made to build a proper track

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Sorry but I really hate street circuits, if the country can afford to host a race then they should be made to build a proper track
    Point is that;
    1. the region sees it as an investment in, marketing of ... the city.
    2. F1 is a business sofar not really caring about the rácing.

There are quite a lót of tracks all over the world that are or can be made F1 compatible. I mean, if the city tracks are deemed safe, then most criteria are rather soft anyway.
    All needed is an organiser with a viable business plan. Seeing that even the German GP is economically precarious, you see why city promotors are floating to the top.
    So Sochi investors it is.

As I don't have any wet paint to watch at the moment, and the weather's looking a bit damp, I'm currently watching FP1.

Aero runs seem to be the order of the day, which means running at as constant a speed as possible, and keeping well away from kerbs, to keep ride heights as constant as possible. The humid conditions at Sochi mean that we're being shown lots of super slo-mo shots of rear wing vortices, probably the most interesting thing to look at right now.

Mercedes have extended the upper wishbones on their front suspension, to the point where they almost touch the inner sidewall of the front tyres, so they've fitted what look like plastic gum shields to the wishbone ends. You don't have to be an engineer to work out that the tyres will flex and vibrate over kerbs, and the sidewall will come into contact with the end of the wishbone, and racing tyres don't have the kind of carcass bracing that road tyres have. Should focus the minds of the drivers.

In other news, the Honda powered Red Bulls and Toro Rossos will all suffer grid penalties due to power unit upgrades, allegedly including new internal combustion engines and a fuel upgrade. Rumour has it that they're introducing the upgrades at Sochi, but will then revert to older spec units for qualifying and race, and use the upgraded units at Suzuka. In years gone by, long before engines were rationed, when Honda were dominating races powering McLarens, they would produce "Suzuka Specials" for qualifying and race at their home circuit, and by taking the penalties here at the worst circuit of the year, they will have upgrades available for one of the best without the associated compromises.

And Charles LeClerc has apologised for his Singapore sense of humour failure(s). He's obviously sincere, because he's done so in English, French and Italian.

Blog Entries
    'Suzuka Specials' are also mentioned on Dutch news sites. Nice!

Talking of PUs, looks like McLaren and Mercedes may be reuniting for '21 onwards.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...-2021/4548906/

I just hope any chat about rejuvenating a previously successful relationship a la Honda is more fruitful.

Master
    Talking of PUs, looks like McLaren and Mercedes may be reuniting for '21 onwards.

I just hope any chat about rejuvenating a previously successful relationship a la Honda is more fruitful.
    This means Mercedes will be supplying four teams, including their own, which looks to be a bit of a stretch.

Just hope it is not the preliminary steps of Mercedes withdrawal as a manufacturer team when current contracts expire.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

I think it will happen and go down the route of red bull and toro Rosso, being mclaren the junior team who get the new drivers and tests them out before they go to big team

Banned
    Blog Entries
    This means Mercedes will be supplying four teams, including their own, which looks to be a bit of a stretch.
    Why? Cosworth supplied a lót more V8s and nowadays the number of units is restricted even.

Why? Cosworth supplied a lót more V8s and nowadays the number of units is restricted even.
    Fair point, and Cosworth probably had far fewer staff. But nowadays it's more complicated than that, and a lot of intense development is needed at a macro level, including the fuels and oils. I don't know how many people are employed at Brixworth and in the labs at Petronas, but I imagine that the number dwarfs that of Cosworth.

Returning to Honda, apparently the old-stagers at McLaren, like Jo Ramirez, become misty-eyed when they talk of the engines which Honda supplied for their home race.

Those were the days, apparently.

Master

Just hope it is not the preliminary steps of Mercedes withdrawal as a manufacturer team when current contracts expire.
    They will be fine. They supplied four teams in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    I think it will happen and go down the route of red bull and toro Rosso, being mclaren the junior team who get the new drivers and tests them out before they go to big team
    No chance of that happening. McLaren have too much success/pride in F1 to take on the same role as Hass/Toro Rosso.

Master
    Indeed but Cosworth were not running their own car and team at the same time.

However, Toto has said that supplying McLaren is not the start of a works deal and Mercedes not being there any more.

What is the point of a track that doesn’t flow

Now that Ferrari have managed to get a low drag setup to work, I wonder if all the other teams will do it, slower on the apexes and squirt it down the straight bits, it’s obviously working.

What is the point of a track that doesn’t flow

Money.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Money.
    Isn't that the case for all professional sports. As for Russia having a Grand Prix, not really surprising given it's the largest country on the planet.

Why a street circuit in Sochi, well that might be something to do with the weather (it looks quite nice and it's by the sea side), plus it has lots of hotels thanks to the Winter Olympics being there, perhaps the Russians watched India and Turkey blowing billions on dedicated circuits only to see the the F1 circus bugger off to pastures new.

Personally I hate the track, but its still better than Monaco.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Now that Ferrari have managed to get a low drag setup to work, I wonder if all the other teams will do it, slower on the apexes and squirt it down the straight bits, it’s obviously working.
    With Ferrari having an edge over even Mercedes in qualifying mde, RB Honda loses a second on the straights. That and an engine penalty for RB could add some spice.
    It means that the top 5 qualifiers will be on different strategies. That; pit stop ´overtaking´, the odd accident and possibly pace car could make for weird results even if not for good reacing but .... one never knows.

I will see later on in the evening.
    Right, almost midnight here; time to go out.

Anyone see the F2, igniting the stupid accident in the first lap, Devries in a much faster car could not get past Ghiotto whatever he tried, I hope that isn’t how the F1 race will go.

I’m assuming that after the first lap incident the FIA will make a ruling about turn three
    Last edited by adrianw; 29th September 2019 at 10:53.

So! Try and tell the fastest man on the track to let a slower car past and expect him to say yes

What an absolute little sh*t Vettel is showing himself to be again

Hahaha. F*ck you Vettel!!!

#aintkarmaabitch