closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 1449

Thread: Formula 1 2019

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Bar accidents, mechanical failure or pit goof ups, the first 5 are known.
    Let’s be honest, when was it ever different. There have always been best teams.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Honestly, the financial and therefore technology gap from the front to back of the grid has never been greater

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Honestly, the financial and therefore technology gap from the front to back of the grid has never been greater
    Regardless, for as long as I can remember there have been teams that are dominant.
    Cilla is making out that it’s boring because of the front running teams but that’s how it’s been for decades.
    If Ferrari can win today, that will be three different teams with wins this year.

Master
    So, in a nutshell, happy for Leclerc, happy for Albon, gutted for Norris.
    Overall a good race though with plenty of overtakes.

An interesting race, and a well deserved win. However I cannot help thinking it's was not a dominate performance as some are saying. Another couple of laps and he would have toast. Both of their respective team members failed to deliver.

I do feel desperately sorry for Norris, who I thought had the drive of the day for 43 laps.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Albon surely had a weight on his shoulders before the start and he must be chuffed with the result. Come to think about it, he was certainly relieved when he passed Gasly halfway through the race. On the other hand, Gasly must have felt awful being overtaken by his old car!

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    An interesting race, and a well deserved win. However I cannot help thinking it's was not a dominate performance as some are saying. Another couple of laps and he would have toast. Both of their respective team members failed to deliver.

I do feel desperately sorry for Norris, who I thought had the drive of the day for 43 laps.
    It matters not, the only lap that you need to lead is the last one..................And he did.

Sorry but I feel that baulking someone to benefit your team mate is as bad as crashing into them, it isn’t sporting. And is a very slippery slope.

And that is the only reason he won

Charles LeClerc reminds me more and more of Alain Prost - undramatic, and gets the job done.

A superb result, and a welcome uplifting end to a tragic weekend.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Sorry but I feel that baulking someone to benefit your team mate is as bad as crashing into them, it isn’t sporting. And is a very slippery slope.

And that is the only reason he won
    Where did Vettel "baulk" Hamilton? Even with DRS Hamilton struggled to get past the Ferrari.

The words you're looking for are "teamwork" and "racecraft". There's nothing wrong with what Vettel did.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Where did Vettel "baulk" Hamilton? Even with DRS Hamilton struggled to get past the Ferrari.

The words you're looking for are "teamwork" and "racecraft". There's nothing wrong with what Vettel did.
    Parking it on the apexes with shot tyres and squirting it down the road so your team mate can get away isn’t sportsmanship, it certainly isn’t race craft, if Vettel hadn’t done this Hamilton would have won.

Most overtakes were push to pass or in the Pitts, it’s the nature of spa and current regs F1,

Master
    Parking it on the apexes with shot tyres and squirting it down the road so your team mate can get away isn’t sportsmanship, it certainly isn’t race craft, if Vettel hadn’t done this Hamilton would have won.

Most overtakes were push to pass or in the Pitts, it’s the nature of spa and current regs F1,
    Hang on. Didn’t Hamilton try his damnedest to back Rosberg into the chasing pack in order to try and win the championship In 2016.

Hang on. Didn’t Hamilton try his damnedest to back Rosberg into the chasing pack in order to try and win the championship In 2016.
    That was different, obviously. That was St Lewis of Stevenage, and he's allowed to do stuff like that, because.

It's part of the sport. Mercedes have done the same to Ferrari recently.

Not true. Look back at the results in the 70s / 80s and the pace of the back markers was way off the front runners.

Charles LeClerc reminds me more and more of Alain Prost - undramatic, and gets the job done.

A superb result, and a welcome uplifting end to a tragic weekend.

God I hope not. Hopefully LeClerc is a racer not a driver. Ferrari already have a "Professor", what they (and their fans want) is a racer.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    It's part of the sport. Mercedes have done the same to Ferrari recently.
    i think you need to give a few examples of this. It certainly didn't happen when Rosberg was racing and I cannot remember it happening during the Botas era. Happy to be proven wrong.

Personally I thought Vettel did his job, but it did prevent a very exciting last couple of laps.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Not true. Look back at the results in the 70s / 80s and the pace of the back markers was way off the front runners.
    I didn’t say pace

Master

So what did Vettel do wrong? Should he just have let HAM pass for race position? Of course any driver is going to make it difficult for any opposing to overtake no matter what the situation.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    So what did Vettel do wrong? Should he just have let HAM pass for race position? Of course any driver is going to make it difficult for any opposing to overtake no matter what the situation.

If Vettel was racing he would have stopped for tyres like all the others did, if all of the teams/drivers start doing what happened today there will be even less racing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I totally agree with that.
    The back of the field is relatively competitive even; the 107% rule had a réason.
    Point is that there is hardly any overtaking, made worse by the regulations* and combined with the natural order of dominant top runners is a bit disappointing on most tracks.

I applaud Albon and Perez for telling the stewards is was just racing, not an issue.

I didn’t say pace
    The difference in pace is a result of the gap in resources and technologies available to the top and bottom teams and this was greater in relative terms in the 70s - 90s versus now.

i think you need to give a few examples of this. It certainly didn't happen when Rosberg was racing and I cannot remember it happening during the Botas era. Happy to be proven wrong.

Personally I thought Vettel did his job, but it did prevent a very exciting last couple of laps.
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/b...905970/905970/

contrats a straw was grasped with much conviction

the only problem with your example is that I cannot see the bit where LH was gifted an overtake before Bottas acted as a rear gunner. Also did you notice how the report clearly identified a different tire strategy, but didn't mention that Botas was effectively sacrificed in order to ensure LH won, or that CL managed to pull off an overtake on the last lap to win. Other than that it's almost identical.

Finally you may have noticed that I said Sed did his job, which is exactly what VB did, yet unlike Seb, Lewis hasn't moaned about it or tried to make any excuses. A small difference, but one worthy of note.
    Last edited by Andyg; 3rd September 2019 at 21:15.

Friedrich Nietzsche

contrats a straw was grasped with much conviction

the only problem with your example is that I cannot see the bit where LH was gifted an overtake before Botas acted as a rear gunner. Also did you notice how the report clearly identified a different tire strategy, but didn't mention that Botas was effectively sacrificed in order to ensure LH won, or that CL managed to pull off an overtake on the last lap to win. Other than that it's almost identical.

Finally you may have noticed that I said Sed did his job, which is exactly what VB did, yet unlike Seb, Lewis hasn't moaned about it or tried to make any excuses. A small difference, but one worthy of note.
    No straw grasped at all, Bottas admitted it was his job to block Vettel. Isn't that the main point here?

Do you think Vettel should've held up his own team mate who was clearly much faster and on a different strategy? Or maybe you think Vettel should've moved aside to let Hamilton through?

It's a team sport. There's nothing unusual about the tactics Ferrari deployed in Spa. I'm not being pro Ferrari or anti Mercedes I'm just stating the facts.

https://www.planetf1.com/uncategoriz...me-my-mission/
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 3rd September 2019 at 21:56.

The difference in pace is a result of the gap in resources and technologies available to the top and bottom teams and this was greater in relative terms in the 70s - 90s versus now.
    It lucky no one told Brawn GP that

No straw grasped at all, Bottas admitted it was his job to block Vettel. Isn't that the main point here?

Do you think Vettel should've held up his own team mate who was clearly much faster and on a different strategy? Or maybe you think Vettel should've moved aside to let Hamilton through?

It's a team sport. There's nothing unusual about the tactics Ferrari deployed in Spa. I'm not being pro Ferrari or anti Mercedes I'm just stating the facts.

https://www.planetf1.com/uncategoriz...me-my-mission/

Firstly I didn't say I thought Vettel should have let Hamilton through did I. I said that he did a job. Alas you missed a couple of points.

Firstly it was a deliberate tactic by Ferrari which made Vettel give up his place and to make sure that Vettel did everything to engineer a win for CL. What next drivers parking it on the apex/pit lane or perhaps ignoring blue flags, picking up a time penalty, but at least making sure their team mate wins. Or driver's who park their cars during qualifying in order to bring the session to an early end. You might see it as tactically good for the team - others might view it as cheating/poor sportsmanship.

So the question is. Does a driver/team do their best to win a race, by going as fast as possible, overtaking cars, etc. Or win the race by effectively spoiling other teams/Drivers races by slowing them down.

If you cannot see the difference, then perhaps this is why you have missed the point.

Friedrich Nietzsche

It lucky no one told Brawn GP that
    Brawn emerged from Honda which had huge resources. They developed a disruptive technology that enabled them to win the championship in 2009.

Red Bull then perfected this technology because they had the resources to employ the top aerodynamicists and as a result they dominated for the next 4 seasons.

I know that many think of Brawn's double diffuser as being their crowning achievement however adapting the chassis to accept a Merc PU at a minute's notice instead of the Honda unit it was designed for betters it, IMO.

Very happy to see Leclerc win at Spa even if his teammate played rear gunner (and I'm ok with that, the clue is the word team), my money is on a back to back victory on Ferrari home soil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    my money is on a back to back victory on Ferrari home soil.
    I'm interested to see about this. Ferrari certainly look likely to have the one lap pace to demolish Mercedes in quali, but given their low downforce package was hurting their rears, I think we'll see another split strategy race.
    Mercs one stopping and Ferraris two stopping (or two and three, respectively?!). I know Monza is proportionally more straights, compared to Spa, but it also has the high deg, fast corners that could kill the Ferraris rears. I don't think it'll be the walkover most were predicting prior to the Spa race.

Not to say I disagree with a Ferrari win at Monza, but I don't see a 1-2, I think someone will be sacrificed to cover the Mercs, to allow the teammate to win.

I wouldn't put much money on a Ferrari win and I agree that I doubt it'll be a 1-2. Being honest about it I'd just like to see another Leclerc win, hopefully on merit, just as Spa was.

He certainly has the experience that Haas need right now, and he's a safe pair of hands. Grosjean has been around for ages, but doesn't seem to have learned much, he's right up there with Pastor Maldonado when it comes to self-inflicted retirements and turning expensively-developed carbon fibre components into shards.
    Time hasn't been kind to Nico...he was sublime in the lower formulae and poor drivers don't win (a competitive) Le Mans. IMO he's a step up on Romain who has pace, but chucks it away, moans...feels like he'd just not create a great atmosphere around a team.

Master
    I've just listened to the BBC chequered flag podcast with Andrew Benson talking to Daniel Ric. about last week's events. Was interesting to hear from the drivers perspective, worth 30 mins if you have the time.
    Looking forward to Monza this weekend, would like to see Leclerc win again but think Hamilton will be too strong. Good to see racing will continue at Monza for another few years too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guUAnNywxQU

Classic Seb comment at 3:25, see the press girl's reaction.

What a fiasco, they should all get grid penalties for that

Maybe all impeding each other
    Last edited by adrianw; 7th September 2019 at 15:48.

Oh on so many levels. I was watching the Wales/Ireland match and listening to qualification on the BBC Sports App. We get half way through Q3 and suddenly the BBC broadcast dies. All Palmer wrote was that it was a fiasco.

I think the FIA need to have a look at this before someone gets hurt. Perhaps allocating slots to individual teams. The slowest teams go first. A change in the weather would certainly spice things up.

Even so, starting in second place LH has a great opportunity to draft LeCherc on the first lap. Should be rather exciting.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well, apart from Verstappen. He already got one and did not get involved so would get pole this way...

What a load of hot air disappearing in the draft and trust Andyg to stíll shine the light on LH.

Not bothering with the race. Got a far more interesting late lunch date.

Not for the first time I'm beginning to suspect that there may possibly be some in the upper echelons of Liberty Media who are seriously wondering exactly what it is that they have bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Well, apart from Verstappen. He already got one and did not get involved so would get pole this way...

What a load of hot air disappearing in the draft and trust Andyg to stíll shine the light on LH.

Not bothering with the race. Got a far more interesting late lunch date.

Does this mean you will not bother to contribute any further on this topic, or will only contribute when Max has a good race? Personally I think he will do ok tomorrow, providing he doesn't hit another driver (again). A possible top 6 position.

As for LH, given the layout of Monza he does have an excellent chance to draft CL, unless CL can break the tow. Just has VB has an excellent chance of drafting LH. But perhaps you missed all the talk about slip streaming or perhaps it's a bit technical.

Deeply shocking that you won't be watching tomorrow. I imagine all F1 teams, F1 drivers (past and present) and F1 fans will all go in to mourning on hearing this news. Anyway have a super day.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Nico Hulkenberg, Lance Stroll and Carlos Sainz Jnr have all been reprimanded for "driving unnecessarily slowly" during Q3 though no penalties have been handed out, the only change to the top 10 (I think) is Kimi Raikkonen who has a 5 place drop due to requiring a new gearbox after his off - his teammate takes 10th spot instead.

We'll never know how it could have turned out. Didn't Renault do well!?!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Off topic, I'm off to Zandvoort tomorrow for a track day Monday, venue for the 2020 Dutch GP.

I'll report back on how frikkin' awesome the track is :)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Off topic, I'm off to Zandvoort tomorrow for a track day Monday, venue for the 2020 Dutch GP.

I'll report back on how frikkin' awesome the track is :)
    It used to be a lót more hairy, fun. It has been seriously shortened, about halved, with most of the speed taken out.
    I raced the old track a lót; both championship races in various classes and Sterrendagen for both fun and track hours.
    The Panaramabocht was still fairly recent when I first raced there. A bit later the connection between Scheivlak and Hondenvlak made tighter into a fast chicane. Fastest corner of the track was Bos Uit and has gone.
    I´d say the track has almost lost it´s classic character and the only thing with some of the old spirit left is the fact that it flows over the dunes; still has that height difference in it. Kind of unique in the Netherlands!
    Enjoy!!
    Oh and take the Gerlachbocht serious; véry easy to spin out in a car with the minutest of moisture on the track or the rubber not fully hot. It´s the weight transfer to the front over the slight hump mid corner.
    Again; enjoy!!

Master
    Good old Kimi came away with another classic when asked about it.

“I wasn’t involved, so I’m not interested, bye”, in his usual sardonic style.

Even Sky people are saying SV got away with it because they are in monza, let’s hope FIA don’t spoil the race

Even Sky people are saying SV got away with it because they are in monza, let’s hope FIA don’t spoil the race
    That and some semantic wrangling (or ineptitude?)...Why Vettel escaped track limits penalty

...the issue was complicated by Version 3 of the Race Director's Note issued by the FIA’s Michael Masi, and which was updated to alert the teams to the possibility of penalties for running wide at Parabolica.

However, in it there was a reference not to contact, but to the wheels being over the white line.

Masi wrote: “A laptime achieved during any practice session or the race by leaving the track (all four wheels over the white track edge line) on the outside of Turn 11 [Parabolica] will result in that laptime and the immediately following laptime being invalidated by the stewards.”

In reviewing the video evidence the stewards noted that the side view showed that Vettel’s car was indeed not in contact with the track, as the contact patch of his tyres was outside the line.

However, on-board and overhead views indicated the “wheels”, which protrude beyond the tyre contact patch, were still atop the white line, as mentioned in the race director’s notes.

Given this apparent anomaly, and the fact that the offence was related directly to the notes, the stewards felt obliged to give Vettel the benefit of the doubt...

After six laps it’s already a push to pass race

Vettel should be excluded from the race. There is no way he should have rejoined the track like that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Vettel should be excluded from the race.
    That was ridiculous!

Let's see what semantic gymnastics the stewards can come up with re SV at the Ascari chicane and all that followed.

10 second stop go is lucky for SV.