closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2019

Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    Can’t say I blame them, after McLaren ditched the F1 engine much to Red Bull’s delight I’m sure.
    Shows how much I'm following the season, I've only just realised that. I presumed after Honda they'd go to Peugeot again...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    Can’t say I blame them, after McLaren ditched the F1 engine much to Red Bull’s delight I’m sure.
    The parting ways will be less of an issue than the way McLaren and even more so Alonso publicly poored the blame over, ridiculed Honda.
    Good driver or not, he is rather toxic and Honda has had enough of a dosage appearantly.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Good driver or not, he is rather toxic and Honda has had enough of a dosage appearantly.
    Absolutely, definitely doesn’t hold back on his acerbic comments when he disagrees with something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Back to F1:

´In a radio message that was not originally broadcast but has come to light following the race, Hamilton is heard asking his team to retire his car from the race after his spin.

His race engineer Peter Bonnington replied: "Negative Lewis, Negative. There's always opportunities."

Hamilton ultimately continued on in the race and took the chequered flag in 11th place, before being promoted into the points and up to ninth after both Alfa Romeo drivers were hit with post-race penalties.´

Back to F1:

´In a radio message that was not originally broadcast but has come to light following the race, Hamilton is heard asking his team to retire his car from the race after his spin.

His race engineer Peter Bonnington replied: "Negative Lewis, Negative. There's always opportunities."

Hamilton ultimately continued on in the race and took the chequered flag in 11th place, before being promoted into the points and up to ninth after both Alfa Romeo drivers were hit with post-race penalties.´
    Aren't Alfa appealing?

Master
    The parting ways will be less of an issue than the way McLaren and even more so Alonso publicly poored the blame over, ridiculed Honda.
    It was justified. At the time the Honda engine was neither powerful or reliable.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    It was justified. At the time the Honda engine was neither powerful or reliable.
    So?
    That justifies public ridicule in your eyes?

Honda thinks not and thus Alonso will need to go the Chevrolet route or forget about Indy500. Can´t imagine that Chevrolet is desperately waiting for him. On the one side they have plenty of winners, on the other a liability.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Aren't Alfa appealing?
    They've submitted a letter of intent IIRC though they haven't, as yet, followed through with it that I'm aware of. There's a 96h (8 day) window for them to submit the actual appeal now that the intent has been made.

There's little doubt about how well(!) the Honda PU performed however Alonso could maybe have been a touch more discrete in his public opinion making, it's no wonder Honda have given him the cold shoulder. The irony of the situation though is that Honda are now in bed with Red Bull who weren't exactly backward in coming forward when their TAG badged Renault PUs were going up in smoke.

Master

Formula 1 2019

So?
    That justifies public ridicule in your eyes?

Honda thinks not and thus Alonso will need to go the Chevrolet route or forget about Indy500. Can´t imagine that Chevrolet is desperately waiting for him. On the one side they have plenty of winners, on the other a liability.
    Alonso is a two time world champion. He WANTS to win. When he’s driving a car with an engine that doesn’t seem to get better then he’s going to show his frustration.
    Don’t misunderstand me here, Alonso is not a nice guy. He has created problems at every F1 team he has driven for almost. But look back at previous F1 world champions and there are not many who weren’t ruthless.
    Last edited by jaytip; 1st August 2019 at 11:49.

Alonso is a two time world champion. He WANTS to win. When he’s driving a car with an engine that doesn’t seem to get better then he’s going to show his frustration.
    Don’t misunderstand me here, Alonso is not a nice guy. He has created problems at every F1 team he has driven for almost. But look back at previous F1 world champions and there are not many who weren’t ruthless.
    Drivers that constantly moan sooner or later get dropped, that's the main reason Di Resta doesn't drive an Fi car

Master
    Thoroughly enjoyed last weekends race,
    went with a few mates 3 of which had never been to an F1 race before, we had plenty of action to see

I went with the Seadweller...

a few gratuitous pics

looking forward to this weekends race too albeit from the sofa....
    Last edited by Tuna1138; 1st August 2019 at 16:24.

^^^ Good work!

Aren't Alfa appealing?
    Now confirmed - https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...nazzi/4505048/

Just moving this to the 2019 thread after Bravo73 posted it in the 2018 one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post

Apologies for resurrecting the Formula 1 2019 thread yet again, but there wasn't an appropriate Formula 1 2009 thread to post this in. Jenson Button recently got back in his championship winning Brawn F1, and it's on YouTube. Button might not be some people's favourite driver, Ross Brawn certainly seems to like him. Anyway, don't turn up the volume, keep telling yourself nothing was lost with the move to 'power units', and enjoy:

https://youtu.be/qhZj536_y_Q

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Apologies for resurrecting the Formula 1 2019 thread yet again, but there wasn't an appropriate Formula 1 2009 thread to post this in. Jenson Button recently got back in his championship winning Brawn F1, and it's on YouTube. Button might not be some people's favourite driver, Ross Brawn certainly seems to like him. Anyway, don't turn up the volume, keep telling yourself nothing was lost with the move to 'power units', and enjoy:

https://youtu.be/qhZj536_y_Q
    I drove early on the Thursday to see it but the idiots at Silverstone didn't open the track to fans so whilst it was great to hear it, it would have been great to actually see it. That was rather ironic for me after Silverstone had just been awarded the GP again for the next 5 years as it is the British fans that were a big part of that.

Russel drives the wheels off it again

Great result for maclaren

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries

Talking

And Verstappen gets his first pole!

He must have been lucky I suppose :-)

And Verstappen gets his first pole!

He must have been lucky I suppose :-)

Not lucky, but law of averages would suggest that at some point he would "break his cherry". In his case it only took 3 years . Just another 80+ to get close to LH record

it should be a good race tomorrow.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

it should be a good race tomorrow.
    I want be proved wrong but the only overtaking will be at the pitstops

Master
    I want be proved wrong but the only overtaking will be at the pitstops
    That and perhaps down to turn 1 if we are lucky.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Not lucky, but law of averages would suggest that at some point he would "break his cherry". In his case it only took 3 years .
    Or more objectively the first qualifying he had qualifying mode on equal terms.

No need to compare with a driver who has had the fastest package since the start of the era. A bit like Giacomo Agostini with MV. Ok, he set records records but it only became impressive when he switched to Yamaha and prooved he could do it on equal terms.

About the race I hear that Adrian will be right. Hope with him that he is wrong.
    For the championship a Verstappen win and LH dnf would add some spice but Mercedes and LH both being as good as they are, they are not likely to get it wrong again.
    Realistically only rain would make a proper race more likely. Might even see young dogs Gasly and Leclerc yapping at the heels of the top dog. Fingers crossed for rain.

No need to get you knickers in a twist Andy; unless he drives it off the isle himself LH will add another championship to his list. Bottas is not the one to beat him in the general standing and Merc are the top team so it is his to loose.

Russel drives the wheels off it again
    C4 interviewed him post quali, he comes across as someone more mature than his 21 years and truly values his place within the team even though they're the back markers. No moaning or groaning, just positivity and productivity. I mentioned a few weeks back that there was a small rumor about Russell taking Bottas' seat next season, Toto Wolff has gone on record today saying that no such move is on the cards and it's a straight choice between Bottas and Ocon, though there's still potential for Russell on the future.

Really looking forward to today's race, the last before the mid-season break. If Vestappen leads lights to flag then bring on Spa and beyond.

Did bottas just loose his job

Potentially screwed his own race and could have taken out his teammate.

P45 being readied, not printed just yet though.

Blog Entries
    Nice race today!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Talking Hamilton lucks to win

Verstappen quickest but RB makes glaring tactical mistake, allowing Hamilton to breeze past.

Good for F1 that Mercedes now finally appear to have competition.

Verstappen quickest but RB makes glaring tactical mistake, allowing Hamilton to breeze past.

Good for F1 that Mercedes now finally appear to have competition.
    Why don’t our MPs look like that

No, it’s a fiddly twisty circuit, which suited the RB, Hamilton’s strategy was better, but in the end it was a push to pass.
    Last edited by adrianw; 4th August 2019 at 16:05.

It's been a cracking run of races since Austria, exactly what was needed to spice up the season. With RB often fairing better in the 2nd half of the season, we could see championship gap close. I still think Hamilton will take the WDC but I'm looking forward to an exciting close to the season, well apart from the Abu Dhabi which is never interesting.

Never mind Bottas, what odds Gasly being in a Red Bull after the summer break?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good call from Mercedes today, good win for Lewis

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Never mind Bottas, what odds Gasly being in a Red Bull after the summer break?
    And if they did pick a driver from Toro Rosso to replace him I think they should pick Albon over Kyvat.

Master
    Great team work, excellent strategy call from Mercedes and an excellent drive from Hamilton.

Still think Bottas will retain his seat for 2020 although I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gasly replaced in the break.

Remain impressed by both Russell and Norris in their rookie season.

If Vettel retires at the end of this season who do you think will fill his seat? I’m kind of hoping it would be Ricciardo as he’s not going to do much at Renault.

Perez had a good run as did the maclarens. Wonder how long Gasly and Stroll can keep their seats.

20 laps to go, 20 seconds down, it's dark and we're are wearing sun glasses. Hit it.

Wonderful drive by Lewis.

I had to listen to it on the Radio via the internet because I am in some place in very hot, and it was so exciting. Well done to Max for at least making an effort - unlike Ferrari.

As for VB - Ocan or Norris are coming for you.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Perez had a good run as did the maclarens. Wonder how long Gasly and Stroll can keep their seats.

I think Stroll is safe due to his father.

Master
    Good race today enjoyed it, good to see the mclarens having a go again and I think Hamilton gave Verstappen a little bit of a reality check

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I think Hamilton gave Verstappen a little bit of a reality check
    Hamilton thinks otherwise. He was quite clear over the radio about that.
    Next his team pulled a fast one out of the hat and cought RB napping, that´s all there is to the win.
    Good for them and good driving from him but reality check? If anything it was a reality check for LH and Mercedes.

Great race - it's as much about strategy as it is man/machinery. Mercedes played it right (again) today and got the deserved podium.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Hamilton thinks otherwise. He was quite clear over the radio about that.
    Next his team pulled a fast one out of the hat and cought RB napping, that´s all there is to the win.
    Good for them and good driving from him but reality check? If anything it was a reality check for LH and Mercedes.
    I don’t think Mercedes pulled a fast one, as you say, but did what Red Bull are so good at by adapting their strategy to the situation in hand.

This, coupled with some blistering laps from Hamilton is what won the race.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I don’t think Mercedes pulled a fast one, as you say, but did what Red Bull are so good at by adapting their strategy to the situation in hand.

This, coupled with some blistering laps from Hamilton is what won the race.
    That's how I saw it too. Hamilton would probably still have won if he had stayed out on hard tyres that were 6 laps fresher than Verstappen as he clearly had more pace too, but it was a good call to bring him in and stop further brake degradation in the turbulent air behind Verstappen who was defending well.

I think Stroll is safe due to his father.
    Not sure how long he can last with poor performances on his dads quid to be honest. They're in it to make money and he'll have sponsors etc to answer to. Personally I think he's had his chance and he's rarely delivered, F1 is not for him

Apparently they will make a decision during the summer break. The candidates for his replacement will be Ocon or Russell, I don't know if either would do any better at the moment though, Lewis is an absolute machine at the moment. It just goes to show how good Rosberg was, shame for us he bowed out so soon. I think they might give Bottas one more season while Russell gets a bit more experience.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    Apparently they will make a decision during the summer break. The candidates for his replacement will be Ocon or Russell, I don't know if either would do any better at the moment though, Lewis is an absolute machine at the moment. It just goes to show how good Rosberg was, shame for us he bowed out so soon. I think they might give Bottas one more season while Russell gets a bit more experience.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Personally I feel Ocon is the biggest waste of talent who doesn't have a drive at present. He's a quick natural talent. I can see him taking the 2nd seat and Russel coming in when Hamilton retires.

From Hockenheim to the Hungaroring, Mercedes (Bottas aside) go from Zero to Hero. If there was ever an example as to how not to do it it was last week, if there was ever an example as to how to do it today was the day. Everyone blew it in Germany, everyone (Bottas aside...) played their part in Hungary. More hungry for the win than anyone else, perhaps? Coat gotten...

That was Lewis Hamilton's 7th win at the Hungaroring, a circuit where he has scored more points than any other. Given his success you'd have thought it no surprise that he took the chequered flag however the practise and qualifying sessions didn't point to an easy win, if a win at all. Valtteri Bottas qualified 0.018s behind pole sitter Verstappen with Hamilton nearly two tenths behind - had the Finn got his mojo back? Err... No. In his defence it wasn't his fault that his front right wing was damaged for it was Leclerc that moved across the circuit clipping his left rear on Bottas' end-plate, the Frenchman was lucky he didn't puncture his tyre, however the Finn's 8th place finish points to someone who wasn't able to capitalise on his car's speed. It won't be too long now before we're all aware of his fate with regards to 2020, my feeling is that he'll keep his seat though it's the closest of close calls. If he's out this season will probably be his last in a team capable of winning Championships.

Whilst we were all watching Lewis vs Max Seb pulled off the same trick with Charles, the German had free space to pit for fresh rubber and then chase the Frenchman down. He'll happily take that 3rd podium step in front of his teammate given that Leclerc has been a fair challenge to the 4-time DC, coupled with his 2nd place in Germany Vettel should have a more comfortable summer break than may otherwise be. Leclerc will take heart in knowing that he has been trouncing his teammate in qualifying recently, I think I'm correct in stating that Leclerc has qualified ahead of Vettel in 5 of the last 6 races. He said that he needed to re-think how he approaches Saturday afternoons after his Q2 incident in Azerbaijan, and that he has.

At the age of 21 Max Verstappen has already competed in more than 90 F1 races, the first was Melbourne 2015 with his first win the following year in Spain in his maiden race for Red Bull after taking Kvyat's seat. He is the youngest ever driver to start an F1 race at 17 years and 166 days, a record that is unlikely to ever be broken now that no-one younger than 18 can compete, in fact it was partly down to Max's signing that the rule was brought in. To see and hear him be so genuine in his post race appraisal of his 2nd place finish today is a sign that he's maturing into a very fine driver indeed, Red Bull truly have given him wings. Pierre Gasly is two years his senior yet that stat is the only one that shows him ahead of Max, the first rule of F1 is to beat your teammate however the 23yo is showing no signs of that at all. The second rule of F1 is that if you can't beat your teammate then you mop up the points that the other driver doesn't score and play rear-gunner with a sniper-sharp aim, it appears that he can't manage that either. With 2nd place in the Constructors Championship up for grabs the Frenchman isn't contributing and with as-near-as-makes-no-difference 1/3 of the points scored compared to that of Verstappen his wings will be clipped sooner or later. Who'll replace him? There's little between the two Torro Rosso drivers yet you'd have to favour Kvyat on the basis that he's been there before and he's leading Albon in this season's standings though, having said that, whoever gets Gasly's seat (and no offence to whoever secures it) will be just as much down to Gasly's lack of performance as it would be anyone else's abundance.

I'll conclude this post by pointing out that The Lewis and Max Show lapped everyone up to and including Carlos Sainz in 5th place and also finished over a minute ahead of 3rd place Vettel, all of which was achieved on pure pace alone. No rain, no Safety Car, no force majeure, just pace.

More tomorrow.
    Last edited by CardShark; 5th August 2019 at 01:04.

Personally I feel Ocon is the biggest waste of talent who doesn't have a drive at present. He's a quick natural talent. I can see him taking the 2nd seat and Russel coming in when Hamilton retires.

Wolff has already ruled out Russell for 2020 and has stated that it's between Ocon and Bottas, however he'll certainly have an eye on Russell for 2021 and beyond.

As I said in my post above, it's a close call to make for next season IMO, though that's not quite how the stats between Bottas and Ocon paint it. The Finn is currently 2nd in the DC (all be it with Verstappen closing him down), Bottas finished the '17 season in 3rd and the '18 season in 5th, he's also a relatively safe pair of hands and has proven to be a team player. Ocon, on the other hand, finished behind his teammate Perez (a capable but probably not DC quality driver) last season and is currently on a year out loosing valuable on track experience. He, along with Perez, also went through a period last season where he wasn't playing the team game creating friction within Force India with one too many on-track incidents between the two.

Put like that it would be a no-brainer to keep Bottas, especially so as next season's cars will be a simple evolution of this year's with the revolution coming in 2021. Let's see what happens, now we have 4 weeks until Spa I'm sure that the vacuum will create much rumour, gossip and discussion to fill the gap, the summer break is traditionally the green light for the Silly Season.
    Last edited by CardShark; 5th August 2019 at 01:28.

One down...Albon to replace Gasly.

They'll try to talk anything up, the only bombshell is Bed Bull's ineptitude since the season started.

Master
    Albon to replace Gasly anyone?
    Had the feeling it would happen.