closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Formula 1 2019

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    There's not much happening in and around Formula 1 right now, so first fire-ups of 2019 power units and personnel changes constitute headline news, and one such move is the sinking ship that is McLaren have lost their genial Media Manager, the lovely Silvia Hoffer-Frangipane, to Ferrari.

I imagine that her first task will be to un-learn the phrases "sub-optimal performance", a favourite way for Ron Dennis to cover up a complete cluster**** and "lack of power/reliability from the Honda engine", the standard post-race McLaren press release filler for several years.

Talk to the hand, Fernando!

In other McLaren news, they appear to have a new sponsor! Yes, really! An actual sponsor, with logos and stuff! It's Spanish beer producer Estrella Galicia, a personal sponsor of Carlos Sainz for several years.

The appointment of Ms Hoffer-Frangipane follws the departure from Ferrari of Alberto Antonini, and is, no doubt, an attempt by the Scuderia to become more media-friendly following the departure of the growling, taciturn Mauricio Arrivabene, not noted for his bonhomie towards the F1 Press Corps. Or anyone else.
    McLaren have admittedly had a woeful few years but do you really, hand on heart, believe they are a sinking ship?
    Just think about the wording, sinking ship. That means it IS going to go under.
    I think they will come back. Will they ever repeat their greatness of the last century, no, but I do think they can get back to the front of the midfield and get the occasional podium.

Formula 1 2019

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    McLaren have admittedly had a woeful few years but do you really, hand on heart, believe they are a sinking ship?
    I think they will come back. Will they ever repeat their greatness of the last century, no, but I do think they can get back to the front of the midfield and get the occasional podium.
    I’m not so sure; unlike, well only Ferrari really (but maybe Mercedes if they stay in the sport long term), there’s no reason why they should be any better than any other private team. Yes they’ve had their good years as have Williams, Renault and others but even Red Bull could quite easily drop down the list.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 2nd February 2019 at 14:34.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    If it was possible to bottle hot air and use it to power a Formula 1 car, McLaren would beat Mercedes on a regular basis.

Last year, pre-season, we had to put up with all of the "Now we've got Renault power units we'll be fighting at the front with Red Bull". And what happened? In round numbers, McLaren were about a second per lap slower than Red Bull. Everywhere. With the same power unit.

McLaren now confuse "talking a good game" with "actual performance", and frankly, if they couldn't get any decent results with Fernando Alonso driving for them, they're not going to become any more of a threat now that their dire performances have finally made him look for pastures new.

No major sponsor for several years, risible performances with Honda power, barely improved by a move to Renault last season, largely thanks to the slowest car in terms of straight line speed, designed by the man who was, for many years, Adrian Newey's right-hand man. McLaren are grasping at straws, and if they don't start looking more like a Formula 1 team and less like a PR talking shop and start getting results and attracting sponsors, they'll disappear without trace. Like a sinking ship.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

The inevitable dropping of the Souber name has happened

https://www.sauberf1team.com/news/sa...romeo-racing-2
    Last edited by adrianw; 2nd February 2019 at 17:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    If it was possible to bottle hot air and use it to power a Formula 1 car, McLaren would beat Mercedes on a regular basis.

Last year, pre-season, we had to put up with all of the "Now we've got Renault power units we'll be fighting at the front with Red Bull". And what happened? In round numbers, McLaren were about a second per lap slower than Red Bull. Everywhere. With the same power unit.

McLaren now confuse "talking a good game" with "actual performance", and frankly, if they couldn't get any decent results with Fernando Alonso driving for them, they're not going to become any more of a threat now that their dire performances have finally made him look for pastures new.

No major sponsor for several years, risible performances with Honda power, barely improved by a move to Renault last season, largely thanks to the slowest car in terms of straight line speed, designed by the man who was, for many years, Adrian Newey's right-hand man. McLaren are grasping at straws, and if they don't start looking more like a Formula 1 team and less like a PR talking shop and start getting results and attracting sponsors, they'll disappear without trace. Like a sinking ship.
    Unfortunately true.

Martin Whitmarsh is a lovely guy, but his introduction of matrix management totally bu@@ered innovation and direction in the team (and Ron let him do it, it must be said). I don’t know if they’re actually now going to go back to a proper top down line management reporting structure, as used by every other successful F1 team since the beginning of time, but I can’t see any improvement happening unless they do. It’s going to take years for them to improve even once they do that, of course.

I'm not trying to defend the indefensible, but other than scoring more points, how much better could McLaren do? Is it realistic for them (or anyone other than Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull) to get a top three CC position these days? I guess beating Renault would be a decent goal.

I did have a little chuckle though; 'sinking ship McLaren' does have a certain 'failing New York Times' style ring to it.

I'd be sad if McLaren did leave F1 (I presume the car business and perhaps some other form of motor racing would continue), but I'm sadder about the decline of Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I'd be sad if McLaren did leave F1 (I presume the car business and perhaps some other form of motor racing would continue), but I'm sadder about the decline of Williams.

I agree wholeheartedly. The sport can ill afford to lose any teams, least of all two teams with such proud and impressive histories.

I think that they both suffer from a lack of management fortitude and vision, although I suspect that Zak Brown will tell us all that he has an abundance of vision, but we're not seeing it translated into results, or even the odd promising performance. Both teams have Team Principals who are very media-friendly and talk a good game, but you never feel that there's much beyond the facade.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I'm not trying to defend the indefensible, but other than scoring more points, how much better could McLaren do? Is it realistic for them (or anyone other than Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull) to get a top three CC position these days?
    Not really any different than just about any other ´sport´ is it?

There are nearly always clear favorites.

Ok, the rechnical rules and clamp down on racing in F1 excagerates the issue. Have a look at MotoGP. There too it is pretty clear who is/are the top dog/s yet there are mány winners and hair raising overtaking/racing is guaranteed.

Peronally I became intersted in F1 again becaúse of the new, awesome technology and I still am. The rácing however.... nah. Bóóóring. I prefer spen an hour reading a in depth explanation of the near mind boggling tech than waste time watching an actual GP.

I am absolutely báffled why the obvious changes to the tech. rules are not materialising; instead they make it wórse (wider still cars)! No, we will no see changes at the top of the tree but could at least see rácing!

Btw. I wonder when Mercedes will pull out. They are in the position of Team Sky in cycling. They have proven the point and their top dog role is drawing increasing négative publicity.
    Would not surprise me to see them keep propping up the team under a different banner.

I forgot that Haas had Rich Energy on board.

Are JPS smokes still available? I'm sure they'll be chuffed with the exposure if they are..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I forgot that Haas had Rich Energy on board.

Are JPS smokes still available? I'm sure they'll be chuffed with the exposure if they are..
    That is very Lotus JPS’like.

Perhaps they have plans for a Gold Leaf version as well.

Testing resumes today and will conclude on Friday, this week may give us a few more clues as to who's hot and who's not for Melbourne.

Pirelli have gone on record stating that, in their opinion and with caveats, Ferrari are currently showing the most pace according to laptimes achieved on the compounds used. Mercedes have also recently been talking about front wing design stating that it would take months to change from one concept to another on the basis that the front end sets the tone for the rest of the car. If any one team steals a march on the others it may take a while before they're caught, barge-boards are another area set for huge development as the season progresses.

Talking of PUs, looks like McLaren and Mercedes may be reuniting for '21 onwards.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...-2021/4548906/

I just hope any chat about rejuvenating a previously successful relationship a la Honda is more fruitful.

Master
    Talking of PUs, looks like McLaren and Mercedes may be reuniting for '21 onwards.

I just hope any chat about rejuvenating a previously successful relationship a la Honda is more fruitful.
    This means Mercedes will be supplying four teams, including their own, which looks to be a bit of a stretch.

Just hope it is not the preliminary steps of Mercedes withdrawal as a manufacturer team when current contracts expire.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    This means Mercedes will be supplying four teams, including their own, which looks to be a bit of a stretch.
    Why? Cosworth supplied a lót more V8s and nowadays the number of units is restricted even.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Why? Cosworth supplied a lót more V8s and nowadays the number of units is restricted even.
    Fair point, and Cosworth probably had far fewer staff. But nowadays it's more complicated than that, and a lot of intense development is needed at a macro level, including the fuels and oils. I don't know how many people are employed at Brixworth and in the labs at Petronas, but I imagine that the number dwarfs that of Cosworth.

Returning to Honda, apparently the old-stagers at McLaren, like Jo Ramirez, become misty-eyed when they talk of the engines which Honda supplied for their home race.

Those were the days, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Indeed but Cosworth were not running their own car and team at the same time.

However, Toto has said that supplying McLaren is not the start of a works deal and Mercedes not being there any more.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

I think it will happen and go down the route of red bull and toro Rosso, being mclaren the junior team who get the new drivers and tests them out before they go to big team

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post

Just hope it is not the preliminary steps of Mercedes withdrawal as a manufacturer team when current contracts expire.
    They will be fine. They supplied four teams in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    I think it will happen and go down the route of red bull and toro Rosso, being mclaren the junior team who get the new drivers and tests them out before they go to big team
    No chance of that happening. McLaren have too much success/pride in F1 to take on the same role as Hass/Toro Rosso.