closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AP Code 11.59

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I’m starting to think this outpouring of derision is a little overdone. They’re not for me and it’s disappointing not to have a new grail to lust after following the teaser campaign raising expectations. But they’re no worse than a lot of other expensive watches I wouldn’t wear - I usually make it round most of SalonQP without encountering anything much I’d wear in real life, especially now Nomos and GS don’t show there. I’ll wait to see how they look in real life. I guess it’s fair to say they fall short of the very high bar set by the RO, but then so do most ROOs and the rest of the collection.

They are perhaps guilty of trying too hard - a simpler VC56 competitor with less hype around it might have gone down quite well. Instead we get this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GYQNWXi95lY

That voice over - what the actual...!

No kidding. Its a pretty neutral design, not worth the vitriol, but perhaps not exciting either, at least not on photo. The people making the most noise are probably the ones who'd never be able to buy one anyway, I get the sense...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

I will swim against the tide - I actually like them.

Interesting case design and new movements. If I could afford one it would be the astronomica - but I think it’s outside my price range, unless I start raiding my pension funds - which ain’t going to happen. Can anyone give me £66K?

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....01/#!/welcome

From web:

All the best

Martyn

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 13th January 2019 at 19:09.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    No kidding. Its a pretty neutral design, not worth the vitriol, but perhaps not exciting either, at least not on photo. The people making the most noise are probably the ones who'd never be able to buy one anyway, I get the sense...
    The design in itself is quite bland and not worth the vitriol as you write. However, this coming from one of the big three and being offered at 39.500 -175.000 USD is not ridiculous but outrageous.

Trying to sell this stuff at those prices is just an insult to your customers. That is worth a bit more critisism than AP has had so far.

I think the criticism is fully justified. After such a long drawn out fanfare from a prestigious company and the CEO being so outspoken about their bread and butter design, I was expecting more. Plus, in the promotional video, the CEO doesn't even wear one of the new range! Also, you don't have to be able to afford something to have an opinion on it.

New daring and complete design which blends classical style with contemporary can be done- look at Ming's watches. All of them look superb. I do believe François should step down and fresh talent like Ming be approached.
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 13th January 2019 at 19:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    New daring and complete design which blends classical style with contemporary can be done- look at Ming's watches. All of them look superb. I do believe François should step down and fresh talent like Ming be approached.
    Ming as chief creative at AP... now that would see something fresh.

I don't know if I read this wrong from AP's website?

The difference in price between the 3 hander and the chronograph is an astonishing £13,700!

I am sorry but that is just crazy pricing.

Journeyman
    I actually quite like their case design but the overall feel of it is just a bit generic, especially the three hander. The chrono would be my pick but it still lacks the character of the old Jules Audemars chrono.

That said, despite all the hate, you'd be surprised how many people would pay just for the brand, especially here in Hong Kong and the Mainland China market. *Shrugs*

Craftsman
    The movement Caliber 4302 is also being used in the latest revision of the Royal Oak 15500 so even less of a reason to opt for the 3 hander 11.59

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The outrage from parts of the watch community is just ridiculous. Group-think at its worst.

Not the biggest fan of the design and the head-on shots make them (three hander and chrono) look a bit cheap. But some better pics make them come to life a bit more.

That's not how a DW looks...

I don’t think they are that bad, most big brands are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to ‘new’ designs and the weight of their brands history, look at Rolex and Omega!

The biggest issue for me is where is the 6-8k almost affordable save up for watch? Something that JLC are better at doing and with slightly more refined designs.

Did I read somewhere they are only making a few thousand of these? What’s the problem then? They will sell in Dubai/London/HongKong/Moscow etc to billionaires and that will be that.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I don’t think they are that bad, most big brands are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to ‘new’ designs and the weight of their brands history, look at Rolex and Omega!

The biggest issue for me is where is the 6-8k almost affordable save up for watch? Something that JLC are better at doing and with slightly more refined designs.

Did I read somewhere they are only making a few thousand of these? What’s the problem then? They will sell in Dubai/London/HongKong/Moscow etc to billionaires and that will be that.
    I think a few points to counter in favour of AP -

AP don't do affordable - they're meant to be one of the 'big 3' so cheap just won't do. All the releases are in precious metal. Even if they eventually release it in steel, I expect around $15k.

Secondly on the production numbers - In the Hodinkee video, the chap explains they want to see how the market reacts to them releasing an entire new line of watches. They can assess which models prove popular before ramping up production.

I think we underestimate this notion of a prestigious watch house releasing a whole complete new watch line - not some homage to the past, no crap romancing based on some folklore. A brand new line which is what it is. You have to admire that - not many other companies are doing it.