closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AP Code 11.59

AP Code 11.59

What's this all about then?

I've seen some teasers online, what do we reckon is coming?

The visuals remind me of the Dunlop - Tested for the unexpected ad - so far, so 1993...

Master
    I hope it's OK linking to another forum, but there's chat about it here, along with some screen-grabs from the site:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=649748

Cheers,

Simon

Craftsman
    The teaser linked in the rolexforum thread look pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing the release.

Craftsman
    Looking forward to seeing this one.

Could it possibly be a sub £10K SS modern sports/dress crossover piece?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post

Whilst i like that idea i would be very surprised if AP is prepared to entertained the sub £10k bracket when you think even Vacheron's cheapest watch the fiftysix is still over £10k for the basic model and AP has a stronger image in my opinion.

Craftsman
    Yeah.
    It was more a fantasy wish than anything

It’ll be interesting to see if they have the fiftysix in their sights....

Craftsman
    The fiftysix & maybe even the calatrava.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    It’ll be interesting to see if they have the fiftysix in their sights....
    That what my initial thoughts given their current 'rival' to the fiftysix would be a jules audemars which starts at over double the price of a fiftysix

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    That what my initial thoughts given their current 'rival' to the fiftysix would be a jules audemars which starts at over double the price of a fiftysix
    And the JA is a smidge fussier and more staid. The bigger issue for the brand seems to be the lack of interest in anything that doesn’t have Royal Oak in the name... I guess they’re hoping that this will address that.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post

We can but. Hope!

Master
    They seem to be claiming to have done something ground breaking and different. The watch looks relatively normal with a fairly chunky case so is this all about the movement and some unknown function?

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa...byap/#!/limits

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    They seem to be claiming to have done something ground breaking and different. The watch looks relatively normal with a fairly chunky case so is this all about the movement and some unknown function?

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa...byap/#!/limits
    There's no lume on the dial. Thats ground breaking!

https://www.watchprosite.com/audemar...21.10469371/0/
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 10th January 2019 at 18:29.

Craftsman
    Always wanted an AP, so will watch this with interest. Royal Oak OS too big for me, so really want to see some decent pics of this new release.

Craftsman
    The official release is later on today but there appear to be some early images on Instagram (screenshots below) have to say I’m pretty disappointed. Its not immediately apparent what the grund breaking element / innovation is so I look forward to finding out. A date windown at 4:30 is a bold move for them as always splits opinion. Still no indication of price point yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gerald Genta; 12th January 2019 at 13:41.

A hearty 'meh' from me.

Also, prices starting from $26.8k

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Thanks for the link. The tourbillon in white gold with smoke blue enamel dial is my pick of the collection.

An interesting line is "The Code 11.59 replaces the discontinued Jules Audemars collection" - so they're replacing a very dressy line of gold watches with gold watches that are making a nod in the direction of sports watches.

I did used to wonder how often someone would choose this two hander

over, say, this one

This new line at least gets away from that direct competition
    Last edited by Der Amf; 12th January 2019 at 14:23.

Expensive and don't think I'm a fan at this stage. The date at 430 on the time models look really off to me.

I think they look really good with what appears to be a very high quality finish as to be expected from AP. The sandwich case and the industrial lugs makes them look extremely sporty and modern whilst still dressy at the same time, not an easy trick to do. It's a positive from me but I wouldn't swap my RO 15300 for one.

Craftsman
    Very disappointed in AP. In my personal opinion these watches will never become classics. I'm sure the quality is great (as well as the price) but I can't see myself in 20 years looking at this watch and saying "Yes, this is a timeless piece of art". It even looks like a lot of those Kickstarter watches...
    Just my 2 its

Quote Originally Posted by manriki View Post
    Very disappointed in AP. In my personal opinion these watches will never become classics. I'm sure the quality is great (as well as the price) but I can't see myself in 20 years looking at this watch and saying "Yes, this is a timeless piece of art". It even looks like a lot of those Kickstarter watches...
    Just my 2 its
    Agree completely. They seem to have a made deal about. Process and production improvement... That's all very well but the price is absurd and the watches are unoriginal. Great movements cannot be the reason you buy a watch, it must look good!

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Was initially very excited, the more I see the less interested I am now.

The perpetual calendar looks quite nice, even if it does over emphasise leap year info on the dial. Generally though, they don’t seem to have the courage of their convictions... some of the detailing puts me in mind of a suit whose tailor feels the need to pick out the buttonhole in contrasting thread 😑

AP knocking off Frederique Constant: whatever next?

Master
    The dials and movements look nice enough, but I’m less convinced by the case and lugs. Proving that they are about more than the RO seems to mean quoting its octagonal design language, on the case and even on the screws on the lugs. I guess they are trying to make these elements into a brand signature instead of the design for one model, but we all know where they come from. Overall I think I’d prefer the more conventional and affordable Vacheron Constantin 56 if I were in the market for this kind of high end chunky dressy sporty hybrid, but they’re not really my cup of tea.

Last edited by Der Amf; 12th January 2019 at 17:22. Reason: Tenuous rubbish

'Shameonwrist' on IG is having a field day with this! Comparisons with an Armani $150 fashion watch maybe a bit harsh, but it's not a flattering look these watches.

Terrible design.

At this pricepoint the question really boils down to:
    WHAT were they thinking?

These dials are so incredibly boring.

Journeyman
    Don't like the new collection, looks like a DW with AP logo

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    These dials are so incredibly boring.
    The time only versions unveiled today remind me of the Credor Node GCBT995, denuded of the elegantly integrated complications that make the latter such a fine thing to behold.
    Last edited by JGJG; 12th January 2019 at 23:51.

Blog Entries
    What a disappointment

Craftsman
    The Jules Audemars collection got discontinued for this?

I'll need to see these in real life but so far I'm not impressed if this is to be the replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I quite like the case and lug design, and seems to work in gold in those pictures
    The three handler does look a bit dull, but the perpetual calendar is nicer - this doesn’t look like it has a running seconds, but instead a hand showing the week of the year! The open worked at the bottom is pretty cool, and looks similar to one that UN do

- - - Updated - - -

I quite like the case and lug design, and seems to work in gold in those pictures
    The three handler does look a bit dull, but the perpetual calendar is nicer - this doesn’t look like it has a running seconds, but instead a hand showing the week of the year! The open worked at the bottom is pretty cool, and looks similar to one that UN do

How underwhelming. I'm also confused by François-Henry Bennahmias' assertive reiteration of AP moving away from the Royal Oak. I seem to remember him saying several times over the years that Audemars Piguet is not the Royal Oak. From this I imagined their new design was AP's 928 and was going to replace their 911 (RO). Much like Porsche and the 911, this design seems to cement the RO's dominance that the company simply cannot move on.

A big fuss has been made about the crystal design but I'll be interested to read comments from owners with varying eyesight.

The Supersonnerie is the best of the bunch in my eyes with the wonderful graduated dial and beautiful simplicity. It's a wasted opportunity the base model doesn't look like this. IMHO of course.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/audemar...onnerie-watch/
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 13th January 2019 at 09:55. Reason: Link

Craftsman
    Very disappointing. Royal Oak 15500 update was disappointing also although I do rate the new shade of blue dial

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    How underwhelming. I'm also confused by François-Henry Bennahmias' assertive reiteration of AP moving away from the Royal Oak. I seem to remember him saying several times over the years that Audemars Piguet is not the Royal Oak. From this I imagined their new design was AP's 928 and was going to replace their 911 (RO). Much like Porsche and the 911, this design seems to cement the RO's dominance that the company simply cannot move on.

A big fuss has been made about the crystal design but I'll be interested to read comments from owners with varying eyesight.

The Supersonnerie is the best of the bunch in my eyes with the wonderful graduated dial and beautiful simplicity. It's a wasted opportunity the base model doesn't look like this. IMHO of course.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/audemar...onnerie-watch/
    That 911 analogy is pretty accurate I feel.

Master
    The new chronograph movement looks very interesting. 41mm is too big for this type of watch imo.

The crystal is just another stolen idea.
    Moser et Cie should be credited for that.

All in all a horrid thing, utter lack of inspiration @AP.
    Very, very disappointing.

23:59, the name says it all. It is one minute before twelve and they have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    The new chronograph movement looks very interesting. 41mm is too big for this type of watch imo.
    Worth watching the video on Hodinkee - https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/co...et-introducing

One thing the chap says the design caters for smaller wrists and they are marketing this as a 'Unisex' watch. So it should wear smaller than 41mm.

I'm slightly revising my opinion on this - it's not that bad. Clearly a lot of work has gone into making an entire new and original line with 3 new movements. It will take some time for that to sink in. I would like to see a bit more adventure in their dial designs in gen 2.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Master
    I did not expect this from AP. It doesn't fit in their selection. It is boring.

Craftsman
    So bad, looks like one of those armani quartz watches

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Meet the designer for the 11.59

Quote Originally Posted by Cybotron View Post
    Meet the designer for the 11.59

Quote Originally Posted by Cybotron View Post

Having completely ruined the discussion of these watches with your childish rubbish on one watch forum, you're now going to do the same here? The amount of time you spend ridiculing and jeering at watches is absurd.

Having completely ruined the discussion of these watches with your childish rubbish on one watch forum, you're now going to do the same here? The amount of time you spend ridiculing and jeering at watches is absurd.
    I'm just posting what's out there and what the majority are posting. If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

But let's move on then and wait for better releases at SIHH.

Last edited by Cybotron; 13th January 2019 at 21:23.

I do understand his posts. AP really f-ed up here and that cannot come as a surprise.

The way they keep cheering about 8 yrs of development only makes things worse.

At this pricelevel people expect perfection.
    This is a mess.

Master
    I’m starting to think this outpouring of derision is a little overdone. They’re not for me and it’s disappointing not to have a new grail to lust after following the teaser campaign raising expectations. But they’re no worse than a lot of other expensive watches I wouldn’t wear - I usually make it round most of SalonQP without encountering anything much I’d wear in real life, especially now Nomos and GS don’t show there. I’ll wait to see how they look in real life. I guess it’s fair to say they fall short of the very high bar set by the RO, but then so do most ROOs and the rest of the collection.

They are perhaps guilty of trying too hard - a simpler VC56 competitor with less hype around it might have gone down quite well. Instead we get this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GYQNWXi95lY

That voice over - what the actual...!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    I do understand his posts. AP really f-ed up here and that cannot come as a surprise.

The way they keep cheering about 8 yrs of development only makes things worse.

At this pricelevel people expect perfection.
    This is a mess.
    Have they actually said who did design this collection? I can see lots of talk about “design”, but nothing about a “designer”. Didn’t Claude Emmenegger return in 2015 and leave again last May?