closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moisturiser’s?!?!

Moisturiser’s?!?!

Well, as I’m sure most of you did, I received lots of toiletries for Crimbo.

The Wife got me an Elemis travel set which I quite like, I’m usually a Nivea type of guy and pay very little attention to anything else as it suits me and it’s available @ Tesco but one of the creams is really good so decided to get a full size tube.......

Now, I know nothing about this type of thing, but the cream is nearly £50, for 30ml!!!!!

how can a cream, labelled as anti wrinkle or otherwise, justify such a cost?!?!

Is it going to make me look 10 years younger? Are there any real benefits to spending this type of money on a cream, or am I being a tight arse??

Craftsman
    I got some Bulldog moisturiser and face wash for Chrimbo, seems to be pretty good. I used to use L'Oreal Men Expert range but it seems to be getting more expensive - the cost of all the advertising must be huge. I think the cheaper brands are just as good.

Craftsman
    I once looked into the Clarins Men’s range and scared myself at the £30+ moisturiser so decided to stick with the L’Oréal Men Expert stuff. The “Vita Lift Double Action” to be precise. Lasts ages and very often on half price or buy-one-get-one-half-price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never tried a moisturiser (and I’m guessing I’m well past 50% of my expiration date), and have no intention of spending money on a lot of things that don’t interest me - and certainly not on a cream that costs £50 for 30ml ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

100% aloe Vera at a few pounds a tube suits me well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

got some Biotherme Homme stuff cheap at an airport a while back (aquapower or some such tosh) quite nice stuff actually

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’ve never tried a moisturiser (and I’m guessing I’m well past 50% of my expiration date), and have no intention of spending money on a lot of things that don’t interest me - and certainly not on a cream that costs £50 for 30ml ;)
    My point exactly!

each to there own and all that but do these “creams” really justify the cost??

Ive raised this issue to my Wife who produced an even smaller pot of some night cream which is nearly £100, and it not doing anything for her!!!! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    My point exactly!

each to there own and all that but do these “creams” really justify the cost??

Ive raised this issue to my Wife who produced an even smaller pot of some night cream which is nearly £100, and it not doing anything for her!!!! ;-)
    Hope you didn’t tell her that!

As Billy Connolly once remarked, people can and do spend a fortune on expensive shampoos and hair care products but the bounciest, most luscious hair you have is your pubes and all they get is a brief bit of attention with a bar of soap.

Come on, men of TZUK. Just have a wash. With soap [1].

[1] possibly a second bar if you're really posh.

Lidl’s own brand men’s anti wrinkle moisturiser is good and cheap

Paid almost 300 quid for 50ml serum. Was I ripped off?

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    As Billy Connolly once remarked, people can and do spend a fortune on expensive shampoos and hair care products but the bounciest, most luscious hair you have is your pubes and all they get is a brief bit of attention with a bar of soap.
    Jojoba? The routine starts around 3:15.

I saw a tv programme years ago about moisturiser and a scientist did a breakdown of moisturiser and basically it mainly contains water and vitamin e I think it was. I personally use argan oil, just rub it all over my bonce for glowing skin and lushness hair.

As for what the wife rubs into herself I've no idea but as others have mentioned it seems the smaller the pot the more expensive it for (to my eyes) very little effect over a tub of E45.
    Last edited by subseastu; 7th January 2019 at 23:17.

I use Bulldog moisturiser after shaving (ever 2nd morning).

But for a special treat - I use Joe Malone Lime, Basel and Mandarin cream.

I think that after scraping the stubble off- my skin needs it.

Another vote for bulldog !

I like some of the elemis products and their moisturisers are little lighter than bulldog but results the same.

From memory elemis blokes facial grease is about 50 quid for 100ml - try all the usual online big river and even ebay can have some elemis 'bargains' if you spot the professional use size containers … for the record prices of bulldog have gone up - it was almost 4 quid in asda last year...
    Last edited by bigbaddes; 7th January 2019 at 23:53.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    got some Biotherme Homme stuff cheap at an airport a while back (aquapower or some such tosh) quite nice stuff actually
    There's a blue L'Oréal men expert that I think is almost the same thing at a quarter the price.

I use Bulldog and Kiehl’s blue stuff both after shaving. The Kiehl’s is definitely nicer but save it as a treat as Bulldog perfectly good enough. A little does go along way especially with the Kiehl’s

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I once sat across a table at a social event with a dermatologist and he was quite firm that the best moisturiser is aqueous cream which hardly ever causes allergic reactions and costs about £5 for a large tub. Best brand is Boots.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I once sat across a table at a social event with a dermatologist and he was quite firm that the best moisturiser is aqueous cream which hardly ever causes allergic reactions and costs about £5 for a large tub. Best brand is Boots.
    Aqueous cream really irritates my skin if I use it.
    Also not to be used for folks with eczema.
    I use simple moisturiser but the one without any sun protection factor as that causes irritation for me too.
    I'm sounding like The Singing Detective here but my skins ok really.

For your arse crack perhaps = awful stuff to put on your face.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    For your arse crack perhaps = awful stuff to put on your face.
    Chris

I suspect you are confusing your arse crack with your face.

Master
    Clinique maximum hydrator for men. Brilliant stuff.

I’m 46 and people regularly flatter me that I have the skin of a 45 year old.

Master
    Kiehl’s blue, I always keep one at home and one in the truck still an ugly bugger but my skins lovely 🤣.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Vaseline intensive care - cheap and effective. Basically you’re trying to put water back into your skin and need a little grease mixed with it to keep it in.

Used to swear by Clinique, then I got fed up paying the price, switched to Nivea and never looked back. I’m always a bit puzzled by friends who say ‘I’ve never used moisturiser’ - if I shave in winter time then head outside, my skin goes visibly dry and looks and feels dreadful. A quick slap of moisturiser and it’s fine. Mind you since growing a beard last year I don’t think I’ve touched the pot - just a few drops of beard oil every morning

I refuse to get worked up about the rights or wrongs of fancy face cream, but that feral apostrophe is really getting on my tit's

I've tried Elemis, Clinique and Clarins but always find E45 the best.

Cream for any particularly dry bits and lotion for all over.

Love it!!

(It's non-perfumed too so you can wear whatever smellies you like once it's soaked in a bit).

Master
    Bulldog is good but I've recently switched to Aveeno which is really good stuff.

Boots No7 for men is a decent range and usually on a 3 for 2 promotion.

The marketing departments must love most of you. The best way to get oil into the skin is by eating more chips. If chips aren’t posh enough, try focaccia.

L’Oréal Expert Men? Expert at what? Wearing face cream?

Women may be daft enough to fall for this, what next, beard oil? Oh... we are already there!

Craftsman
    I use Bulldog's on the basis that is what my wife buys me. I quite like it and think it does a good job but then I haven't tried any others so no no different!

Master
    was this twenty years ago or something?

Aqueous cream or even E45 are rubbish really (imo - compared to Aveeno), as someone has mentioned on here, Aveeno cream or lotion is a far better moisteuriser and is prescribed/recommended by Dr's and dermatologist's for eczema and dry skin conditions.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Used to swear by Clinique, then I got fed up paying the price, switched to Nivea and never looked back. I’m always a bit puzzled by friends who say ‘I’ve never used moisturiser’ - if I shave in winter time then head outside, my skin goes visibly dry and looks and feels dreadful. A quick slap of moisturiser and it’s fine. Mind you since growing a beard last year I don’t think I’ve touched the pot - just a few drops of beard oil every morning

+1 for Nivea, big round aluminium tin, also Aveeno is good especially the hand cream for winter.

Craftsman
    I fly long haul regularly. A spot of Bulldog for the face and when I'm home doing extensive DIY, nothing beats "O'Keeffe's Working Hands" to stop those nasty cracks of skin forming on your finger tips.

As for the marketing hype of the big names, good luck to those who buy it thinking it's any better than the basic stuff with the same raw ingredients for a fraction of the price.

I was looking at the contents of some expensive Bissell carpet cleaning stuff the other day (after buying the machine following top tips on here). The label says "Greater than 30% water. Less than 5% nonionic surfactants …" That will be 99% water and 1% chemical then. Why not print that on the label. Even those drinks that try to hide the fact with their main content being "Aqua".
    Last edited by broxie; 8th January 2019 at 14:20.

Master
    I use Aldi Q10, daycream. £1.99.
    Does what it says on the Tub.
    Lovely smooth skin after a shave. Non greasy too. No fragrance either.
    No need to be walking round smelling like perfumery counter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    was this twenty years ago or something?

Aqueous cream or even E45 are rubbish really (imo - compared to Aveeno), as someone has mentioned on here, Aveeno cream or lotion is a far better moisteuriser and is prescribed/recommended by Dr's and dermatologist's for eczema and dry skin conditions.
    Yes in all honesty this was about 20 years ago. I used to suffer from dry skin on my face only and this chap was a Dermatologist in the local hospital. He was just sitting opposite of me and suggested that I use aqueous cream which I have done ever since and I now have very good skin. So from my perspective he gave good advice.

Craftsman
    Duplicate post in error
    Last edited by broxie; 8th January 2019 at 14:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    The marketing departments must love most of you. The best way to get oil into the skin is by eating more chips. If chips aren’t posh enough, try focaccia.

L’Oréal Expert Men? Expert at what? Wearing face cream?

Women may be daft enough to fall for this, what next, beard oil? Oh... we are already there!

it’s amazing isn’t it? i mean on the one hand we have people agonising over a minuscule dot on a watch bezel in a different place or if the glowing bits on a watch face have turned a bit yellow and now people want to keep their skin hydrated and in good condition?!?

no wonder this country is going down the pan..

Thought patina was a good thing.

Master
    Yes in all honesty this was about 20 years ago. I used to suffer from dry skin on my face only and this chap was a Dermatologist in the local hospital. He was just sitting opposite of me and suggested that I use aqueous cream which I have done ever since and I now have very good skin. So from my perspective he gave good advice.
    Thanks for your honesty Mick, but things (science/pharmaceuticals), have moved on .. Try the Aveeno and your skin will feel even better . The effect though will be more pronounced/noticeable for people who do suffer from dry skin or eczema...

Master
    Use Bulldog but also this

https://theordinary.com/product/rdn-...ctors-ha-100ml

Their range of stuff is good quality and not expensive

Grand Master
    Non of which actually do anything otherthan lighten your pocket of money!.

Water is the best skin care product.

I moved from Nivia to Bulldog years ago, happy with it when I can get 3 for 2 deal. The beard soap Bulldog do is nice as well!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Lidl’s own brand men’s anti wrinkle moisturiser is good and cheap
    This!

Though I too am feeling the pain of my wife discovering overpriced Elemis.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I've tried Elemis, Clinique and Clarins but always find E45 the best.

Cream for any particularly dry bits and lotion for all over.

Love it!!

(It's non-perfumed too so you can wear whatever smellies you like once it's soaked in a bit).
    +1 for E45. I have (self diagnosed) mild eczema. E45 works a treat.
    Summers are manageable with a slap of E45 twice a day but during winters I need it 4 to 5 times a day, during autumn & winter E45 is on the weekly shopping list! I also use Boots glycerine on my face for winters especially after a shave. I can use other products but most of the 'stronger' moisturisers tend to be greasy which I don't like. Law of diminishing returns just like everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post
    I once looked into the Clarins Men’s range and scared myself at the £30+ moisturiser so decided to stick with the L’Oréal Men Expert stuff. The “Vita Lift Double Action” to be precise. Lasts ages and very often on half price or buy-one-get-one-half-price.

I got given some Clarins (or probably Clinique) stuff one Christmas, it was really nice and then I check the price. My exact words were begain with 'F' and ended in 'uck that'.
    I buy Nivea or L'Oreal or whatever's on offer in the supermarket. I'm not that arsed really, but I do use it and it does seem to make a difference (noticeable when I don't). I did buy one of those eye roll on things after it was pointed out to me that I had big dark circles under my eyes. It might be emulsion for all I know, but I look less knackered so I'm going with it.

I use this “Childs Farm Moisturiser” for my hands, and it gets great reviews from psoriasis/eczema sufferers.

Reckon it would be just as good on the face. (For that ‘smooth as a baby’s bum - look)

https://www.chemist.co.uk/childs-far...waAlKmEALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    Vaseline intensive care - cheap and effective. Basically you’re trying to put water back into your skin and need a little grease mixed with it to keep it in.
    I work in this area and this is pretty much bang on. Aqueous cream is bad because it contains something that dries the skin, everything else is much of a muchness. Most of the expensive brands you're paying for marketing, packaging and expensive fragrances / extracts, but mainly marketing. Drinking lots of water is probably the best thing, and the cheapest, for your skin.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Master
    Simple moisturiser I use !

It's cheap about 3 quid a bottle and it's light so absorbs in quickly.

I've used various expebsive ones over the years, clarins, Clinique etc but my skin agrees better with the simple.