closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Daytona - dark blue dial

Craftsman

Rolex Daytona - dark blue dial

I have been looking at Rolex Daytonas with blue dials and thought that these only came in white gold - 116509

but I noticed a steel Daytona on Chrono with an aftermarket blue dial (116520)
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/pre...-id5808027.htm

Do Rolex customise/change dials on their watches (in the example above) or would this be done by a third party? Would a custom blue dial Daytona in steel be regarded as a "franken-watch" and therefore affect its value?

Also are there any other older (dark) blue dialled Daytonas that I should be looking at?

thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Rich; 7th January 2019 at 19:09.

Master
    I’ve had Rolex UK service a steel Daytona with a black / diamond dot dial that could have come only from a white gold model. The policy, at the time at least, was generally to accept for service if all parts were genuine even if not to a specification offered.

BTW, blue dials were available in bicolour 116523.

H

Craftsman
    Thanks Haywood.

rather like the idea of finding a daytona with a blue dial in a steel case, not so much for the price differentiation, but more for the robustness of steel over white gold. Probably a stupid question but would I be right in saying white gold is more prone to damage than steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Thanks Haywood.

rather like the idea of finding a daytona with a blue dial in a steel case, not so much for the price differentiation, but more for the robustness of steel over white gold. Probably a stupid question but would I be right in saying white gold is more prone to damage than steel?
    In real day to day use, I wouldn’t say so. I have two white gold watches that are fairing just as well as over 50 steel watches - Maybe they are technically softer, but we are talking by a small amount if any and they are not made or plasticine! For example I have. Ploprof with a lot more marks etc. on than my whit gold Daytona, and my Daytona has probably been my most worn watch over the last 5 years.

Slight marks from around 6-7 years of ownership, worn daily in the gym, and for mountain biking and for virtually every other activity for around a year or two, then worn more carefully in rotation with the rest.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 7th January 2019 at 19:45.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    You just need a white gold 116509.

Don’t mess around with cut and shut Rolex.

Master
    Quite. This is the real thing...and it feels quite different to any steel Daytona. As for marks, all watches get them. Gold is an excellent daily wear.

Rolex will never offer this dial on a steel Rolex. They want to sell gold ones!
    Now is the time to buy a gold Daytona because steel ones are so inflated in price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 8th January 2019 at 08:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Thanks Haywood.

You've almost no chance of finding one with this already done. The only way you are likely to realise your wish would be to find a loose blue dial and hands (first, I suggest) and then a suitable steel Daytona 116520. One that is cheap for the sake of a damaged dial might be perfect!

Most wearers will find a gold model robust enough, though some are not keen on the grey appearance that white gold can adopt. Bearing in mind the premium for steel Daytonas and the depreciation which white gold ones suffer, you may find the latter is actually the cost-effective choice. There will be a premium to pay if gold parts need replacing in future, such as pushers, crown, bezel etc.

H

Master

Rolex Daytona - dark blue dial

‘Grey’ in colour?
    Contrast with the steel DJ.
    I’d say it was a satiny white finish, slightly ‘warm’ in tone. But this way leads to pseuds corner....
    The thing about the gold models is that you have to try them on the wrist. The sheer solidity and presence is unmistakable. Some like it, some don’t.
    Last edited by paskinner; 8th January 2019 at 11:10.

Craftsman
    I like that in SS - but given the option prefer the original in wg
    I am just a sucker for a blue face!!!

Master
    Some white gold Rolex begin to exhibit a distinctly grey tone over time. It is a well recognised phenomenon with white gold generally and one of the reasons platinum could traditionally justify a premium in both jewellery and watches. That metal is inherently less grey.

Daytona's bore me to tears.

Especially the step backwards bling ceramic.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Some white gold Rolex begin to exhibit a distinctly grey tone over time. It is a well recognised phenomenon with white gold generally and one of the reasons platinum could traditionally justify a premium in both jewellery and watches. That metal is inherently less grey.
    Am I right in thinking wg jewellery is plated with rhodium to give the desired finish? Perhaps, that being the case, the plating fades and not the base gold metal?

Solid gold Rolexes with corresponding bracelets are very heavy imo (but not as heavy as solid platinum which certainly let you know they are on the wrist)

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    ‘Grey’ in colour?
    Contrast with the steel DJ.
    I’d say it was a satiny white finish, slightly ‘warm’ in tone. But this way leads to pseuds corner....
    The thing about the gold models is that you have to try them on the wrist. The sheer solidity and presence is unmistakable. Some like it, some don’t.
    The dominant colour in both of these photos is, by far, the yellow from your lighting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Am I right in thinking wg jewellery is plated with rhodium to give the desired finish? Perhaps, that being the case, the plating fades and not the base gold metal?
    Indeed, the rhodium plating is traditionally applied to improve the appearance of the "grey" / "white" gold underneath.

Indeed, the rhodium plating is traditionally applied to improve the appearance of the "grey" / "white" gold underneath.
    I thought that Rolex stopped rhodium plating white gold when they started using a brighter white gold alloy? I can't remember the cut off point that I read, nor where I read it, but if that info is plain wrong, that would be good to know

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I thought that Rolex stopped rhodium plating white gold when they started using a brighter white gold alloy? I can't remember the cut off point that I read, nor where I read it, but if that info is plain wrong, that would be good to know
    I was answering the jewellery question but yes, Rolex has been working on a number of different, proprietary gold alloys in recent years.

Craftsman
    Bearing in mind the premium for steel Daytonas and the depreciation which white gold ones suffer, you may find the latter is actually the cost-effective choice.

H
    Yes, that did occur to me and actually I quite like the sound of the wg going grey. I'm just rather sold on the blue dial. It's a toss up between this and the latest VC overseas chrono blue dial - which I saw recently and was truly stunning. The only downside that it has for me is the VC's size, which is as near as damn it 43mm. The older VC (v2) is slightly smaller...but not quite so attractive.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Quite. This is the real thing...and it feels quite different to any steel Daytona. As for marks, all watches get them. Gold is an excellent daily wear.

Rolex will never offer this dial on a steel Rolex. They want to sell gold ones!
    Now is the time to buy a gold Daytona because steel ones are so inflated in price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hmmmmm......Annoying I missed that one then!!!! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post

Solid gold Rolexes with corresponding bracelets are very heavy imo (but not as heavy as solid platinum which certainly let you know they are on the wrist)
    Some white gold is plated, whereas some newer 18k wg formulations are not. Rolex have made a white gold mix, in their own foundry, that is homogenous and can be polished a high shine - I understand a few other brands also use similar guild alloys, unlike the traditional wg used in the jewellery trade, which is always plated.
    It's just a matter of time...