closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Which of the following dates can you make (please don't ask for others)?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • March 3

11 64.71%
  • March 9

7 41.18%
  • March 10

12 70.59%
  • March 17

11 64.71%
  • March 23

11 64.71%
  • March 24

13 76.47%
  • March 30

12 70.59%
  • March 31

10 58.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TZ bikers ride-out and GTG (see update in post #58)

I think I’ll stick with Google Maps

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Following the first thread to get expressions of interest, this poll is to determine which day in March we go for. Please indicate ALL the dates that you can make, and we'll go with the most popular once it looks like we have all the submissions we're going to get.

Once we've pinned down the date (now set for March 24th) I'll finalise the route and starting/stopping points. I'll also be asking everyone to complete a questionnaire on Google Forms, which will help me to pin down some detail, collate some info (mobile numbers, ICE details, etc), and clarify some exclusions from liability.

This is the list of attendees as it stands, so let me know if you want to be added - obviously, though, I appreciate that the route itself will probably result in some withdrawals now that it's been firmed up. (Note that I'll refine the list as people either confirm attendance or otherwise.)

100thmonkey
    Andy Tims (confirmed)
    berin (confirmed)
    Chinnock (confirmed)
    darrenw
    DibbleCorse (confirmed)
    E_2_Right-Force
    greenandblack
    Gyp (confirmed provisionally)
    I a n (confirmed)
    inspector gadget (confirmed)
    JohnB4
    Joyce
    learningtofly (confirmed!!)
    lew07
    MadeOfCheese (confirmed)
    manganr (confirmed)
    Matt8500 (confirmed)
    ralphy
    Red Steve (confirmed)
    Saint-Just
    samswatch
    SimonH
    skmark (confirmed)
    Spareparts (confirmed)
    Stanford
    sv-steve (confirmed)
    Thewatchbloke (confirmed)
    tz-uk73
    Vanguard
    wileeeeeey (confirmed)

And bikes, just as a point of interest...

BMW 7
    Ducati 5
    Aprilia 1
    KTM 1
    Triumph 2
    CCM 1
    Honda 1

Make sure the CCM rider has breakdown cover!

Quote Originally Posted by sv-steve View Post
    Thanks Tony, have completed the form.

Apologies if this has already been covered and without wishing to over complicate (particularly for you), but would be keen to know locations of others for potential "ride in"... I'll be coming up from the New Forest area so a bit of company along the way wouldn't hurt if anyone else feels the same.
    I’ll be riding up from Alton area in Hants, so depending what route you’re planning we could meet up? Cheers, Matt

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I’ll be riding up from Alton area in Hants, so depending what route you’re planning we could meet up? Cheers, Matt
    Sounds good Matt. Haven’t thought of route up yet but let’s see what we can work out. I’ll PM you in due course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll get the WhatsApp group set up over the weekend, which should make communication for this kind of thing a bit easier.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Make sure the CCM rider has breakdown cover!
    Outrageous slur!

Master
    Since it's possible that it might still be a little chilly, TZ'ers wishing to stay warm may want to consider a heated base layer

http://avade.co.uk/

Are very good, no wiring to the bike needed and about 6 hr battery life

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Okay guys - slight change of plan after I ascertained that On Yer Bike doesn't reopen on Sundays until late April

Instead of OYB, then, I've arranged for reserved seating and plentiful pastries and croissants at the 94 Coffee Shop, which is known as being biker-friendly (and certainly is, after speaking at length today with the owner). They have a Facebook page here. The slide deck has now been amended (you already have the link from my recent PM) together with the route files/map, and the venue was on the original route anyway - it's just a mile or two on from OYB. However, @manganr and @wileeeeeey take note, because this is now where you'll be meeting us (we'll be there from 1045 - 11.30).

I know it's not quite the OYB vibe, but in a way it's a better option as many of us won't know each other and it will give us a chance to have a bit of a chat. Hope that's okay, as it seemed a better option than trying to rearrange for a Saturday.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 10th February 2019 at 04:05.

However, @manganr and @wileeeeeey take note, because this is now where you'll be meeting us (we'll be there from 1045 - 11.00)
    Thank you for the mention, that would have completely passed me by. It also that looks much more up my street than OYB and I can start the day with a nice treat!

However, @manganr and @wileeeeeey take note, because this is now where you'll be meeting us (we'll be there from 1045 - 11.00 11.30).
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thank you for the mention, that would have completely passed me by. It also that looks much more up my street than OYB and I can start the day with a nice treat!
    (and apologies for the typo - we’ll be there until 11.30)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 10th February 2019 at 09:25.

(and apologies for the typo - we’ll be there until 11.30)
    Thank you!

Craftsman
    Since it's possible that it might still be a little chilly, TZ'ers wishing to stay warm may want to consider a heated base layer

http://avade.co.uk/

Are very good, no wiring to the bike needed and about 6 hr battery life

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Not seen those before, any idea how big the heating panels are?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by baz1 View Post
    Not seen those before, any idea how big the heating panels are?
    A decent size, not as good as a Warm n Safe wired in jacket but great for keeping the chill off. I use it when I'm out on the dirt bike mostly.

Craftsman
    Cheers, just sold a Keis jacket because I found it a bit bulky, but those look like they may be a decent compromise for the riding I do these days.

Well, I'm very happy to say that Triumph is now joint second in the Ride-Out Bike League

Master
    Subject to weather, I could be tempted to bring either the Ducati or MV instead of the BMW. In which case, #1/2/3 could be swung around!

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Subject to weather, I could be tempted to bring either the Ducati or MV instead of the BMW. In which case, #1/2/3 could be swung around!
    You're such a tease

Just a quickie to say that I'll be setting up the WhatsApp group over the next day or so (sorry).

Thanks Tony, looking forward to it- just hope the weather is better than today!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Thanks Tony, looking forward to it- just hope the weather is better than today!!
    Ditto, Matt!

WhatsApp group now up and running (and only one of our number not on it - Jon ). Not long to go now!

Is there any way of putting names to phone numbers so we no who's who on the WhatsApp group?

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Is there any way of putting names to phone numbers so we no who's who on the WhatsApp group?
    I'll put something together by way of a contact list, and will then stick it on google docs as an addendum to the slides. I can't add names to the phone numbers on WhatsApp as they're just taken straight from my phone contacts.

Strange as names are showing up in WhatsApp for me?

Quick update - all contact details are now added to the end of the slide deck that's been shared with the group. I'm afraid I had to add it as an image as it wouldn't otherwise format properly so you won't be able to copy and paste individual items, but at least you have the info now and can add names/numbers to your contact lists at your leisure

Can't believe we're a week away, with good weather predicted too

Can't believe we're a week away, with good weather predicted too
    We’re f8cked now!!!
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Looking forward to it, he says sitting listening to the lashing rain- I hope the forecast is right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    We’re f8cked now!!!
    Yep pack your rain gear and wellies it’s been jinxed lol, either way I’m sure it will be a blast very jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    We’re f8cked now!!!

Well, given that the weekend is nearly upon us and we have a clean bill of health with regard to the weather, this is just a reminder that we'll be setting off from our starting point at 10.00 sharp in order that we can get to our first stop (for breakfast) at 10.45 - in fact, I've just spoken to the cafe again to confirm that we're definitely coming, and to ensure that there's some extra supplies of muffins and Danish awaiting us Remember to arrive in good time if you want to fill up your tanks in the petrol station, and I'll certainly be there prior to 9.30.

One thing I wanted to touch on was safety, although given that I've not done a group ride before there won't be any kind of briefing (as least from me). The obvious things to remember, though, are...

• Not racing, or exceeding speed limits by any substantial degree (and riding at whatever pace you feel comfortable with - we all have the route and stop details)
    • Riding in a staggered formation to maximise the distance from the bike in front, and generally not riding too close (yes, I know the Hells Angels think it's clever to almost touch wheels, but...)
    • Most importantly, looking after the organiser with plentiful coffees and snacks, and giving his bike a bit of a wipe down whenever we stop

Feel free to add anything else worth bearing in mind, and I'll see you all on Sunday!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 20th March 2019 at 13:03.

I'm going to be that "one guy" and double check something basic. Apologies.

I have down to be at 94 Coffee Shop in HP18 0JD at 11.45am for a coffee/food break. I was going to meet you guys when you stop there.

Is this still correct if you guys are eating breakfast at 10am?

I'm going to be that "one guy" and double check something basic. Apologies.

I have down to be at 94 Coffee Shop in HP18 0JD at 11.45am for a coffee/food break. I was going to meet you guys when you stop there.

Is this still correct if you guys are eating breakfast at 10am?
    We’re due at 94 Coffee Shop at 10.45, and that’s going to be our breakfast stop. The plan is to leave there at 11.30.

I think it’s all set out pretty clearly on the slides, so it may be worth having a look at them again.

We’re due at 94 Coffee Shop at 10.45, and that’s going to be our breakfast stop. The plan is to leave there at 11.30.

I think it’s all set out pretty clearly on the slides, so it may be worth having a look at them again.
    Perfect, makes sense. Thank you.

Perfect, makes sense. Thank you.
    Great - see you there

Having attended a speed awareness course this morning (35 in a 30) my pace will certainly be leisurely to say the least

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

Well, I've just updated the list in the OP and - after a few withdrawals - it looks like there will be 16/17 of us tomorrow. Whilst it's a shame that some of our initial number can't now make it, it should still be a great day.

See you all in the morning

You’re a legend Tony, thanks for organising. Looking forward to a fun day!

Have fun tomorrow guys, I may be able to
    join you all for the next one.

Well, just a quick thank you to everyone who attended the ride-out yesterday... there were about 16 of us in the end, i think, which represents something like a 76% turn out and there were good reasons for the others being unable to join us.

There were a couple of lessons learnt...

1) Whatever the intentions, people will ride at their own pace. I think that's inevitable and needs to be planned for in future rides.
    2) When you've planned an M-way free route, all of us screaming down the M40 after the very first roundabout was, in hindsight, a bit daft
    2) Adopting some kind of second man/cornerman system is probably the best way to ensure that everyone is heading in the same/correct direction. (We did end up splitting into smaller groups, which is a bit of a shame.)

From a personal perspective, I now know that my bike and I can keep up with the best of them; I can flat-foot Andy's rocket ship; and 8 hours in the saddle results in barely any discomfort

I'll see what useable footage I have recorded, and as long as I can make something of it I'll post it on YouTube (this might not be very much, though, as we never really had the convoy of bikes that I was anticipating). All in all, a great day and regardless of what we might have done better we all ended up where we needed to be, when we needed to be there. Well done on that, everyone!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 25th March 2019 at 08:43.

Grand Master
    I regularly ride out with groups of 15-20 blokes, best approach is not to be so formalised just tell everyone where the RV points are and they will get there. As long as they are riding a bike who cares and most riders can adapt to getting held up at lights then catching up accordingly. In many ways as a formed unit you are a little more vulnerable than in 3-4 smaller slightly spread groups. Ive seen the likes of the HOG guys piss everyone off by waving a gang of bikes out of junctions and booking roundabouts it does little to enhance the bikers reputations.

Looking forward to seeing the images
    RIAC

Master
    Well, just a quick thank you to everyone who attended the ride-out yesterday... there were about 16 of us in the end, i think, which represents something like a 76% turn out and there were good reasons for the others being unable to join us.

1) Whatever the intentions, people will ride at their own pace. I think that's inevitable and needs to be planned for in future rides.
    2) When you've planned an M-way free route, all of us screaming down the M40 after the very first roundabout was, in hindsight, a bit daft
    2) Adopting some kind of second man/cornerman system is probably the best way to ensure that everyone is heading in the same/correct direction. (We did end up splitting into smaller groups, which is a bit of a shame.)

From a personal perspective, I now know that my bike and I can keep up with the best of them; I can flat-foot Andy's rocket ship; and 8 hours in the saddle results in barely any discomfort

I'll see what useable footage I have recorded, and as long as I can make something of it I'll post it on YouTube (this might not be very much, though, as we never really had the convoy of bikes that I was anticipating). All in all, a great day and regardless of what we might have done better we all ended up where we needed to be, when we needed to be there. Well done on that, everyone!

In my defence��.

this is the google map, and the first part of the route is the m40. When I downloaded the GPX to BaseCamp, it converted the route in blue without the optional and correct grey bit.

Google is a bit rubbish for route sharing.

The Kurviger website allows a well formatted gpx file to be created and shared, and it can be downloaded and viewed easily on the Scenic app, which also allows download of maps.

I use BaseCamp and Garmin because I have done for years and I plan a lot of routes off Seles roads, but I’ve used Kurviger and Scenic very successfully when travelling.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by berin; 25th March 2019 at 08:58.

Master
    As Kerry says, as long as everyone knows where to end up it’s all good :)

I had a lovely time, and I was on my own for quite a lot of it ;)

Thanks again Tony for getting us all out on our bikes on such a super day, all your hard work is much appreciated

In my defence.

this is the google map, and the first part of the route is the m40. When I downloaded the GPX to BaseCamp, it converted the route in blue without the optional and correct grey bit.

Google is a bit rubbish for route sharing.

The Kurviger website allows a well formatted gpx file to be created and shared, and it can be downloaded and viewed easily on the Scenic app, which also allows download of maps.

I use BaseCamp and Garmin because I have done for years and I plan a lot of routes off Seles roads, but I’ve used Kurviger and Scenic very successfully when travelling.

No criticism was intended or implied - we all did it, and you’re absolutely right in saying that Google maps can be a bit pants for map-sharing. I found I couldn’t use it all, so just ended up following anyone who appeared to know where they were going.

Anyway, it doesn’t really matter as we all had fun, and we all ended up in the right place(s).

Master
    No criticism was intended or implied - we all did it, and you’re absolutely right in saying that Google maps can be a bit pants for map-sharing. I found I couldn’t use it all, so just ended up following anyone who appeared to know where they were going.

Anyway, it doesn’t really matter as we all had fun, and we all ended up in the right place(s).
    I did think it was odd as I set off! But pretty much everybody made the stops, so all worked out well.
    The free stunt show at H cafe was good too!

Well, just a quick thank you to everyone who attended the ride-out yesterday... there were about 16 of us in the end, i think.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I regularly ride out with groups of 15-20 blokes, best approach is not to be so formalised just tell everyone where the RV points are and they will get there. As long as they are riding a bike who cares and most riders can adapt to getting held up at lights then catching up accordingly. In many ways as a formed unit you are a little more vulnerable than in 3-4 smaller slightly spread groups. Ive seen the likes of the HOG guys piss everyone off by waving a gang of bikes out of junctions and booking roundabouts it does little to enhance the bikers reputations.

Looking forward to seeing the images
    I'm glad it went well, it was a great day for a ride - mine was down to Rye for a fry up.
    Kerry is right, it's best not to expect such a large group, particularly one that includes experienced riders, to stay together (unless they ride HDs ) as it will almost inevitably break up into smaller groups based on friendship, riding style/speed, the need for comfort breaks or simply traffic lights etc. Large groups of riders, experienced or not, do benefit from a formal, agreed and understood drop off system.

p.s. don't try and keep up with the best of them because the best will almost certainly be far better than most of us...ride your own ride.
    Last edited by Stanford; 25th March 2019 at 12:57.

Well, the good news is that I have enough footage to make a little TZ movie

I just have this week before I start a new project so I'm going to go out on the bike for a while. When I get back I'll start editing everything but with a bit of luck it'll be uploaded some time this evening.

Any footage of me eating my pain au chocolat at Cafe 94 Tony?

Master
    For anyone that cares, I think I now understand the routing issues. Google removed the capability to export to a .gpx (gps file exchange) in 2016. The .gpx files are supposed to be a common file format used by most gps devices, and also phones and navigation apps. They don't always translate well anyway, since there are always differences in the maps used by the devices, so they are often recalculated to fit the device the gpx file is being run on - the only"fixed" points are any way points that have been added.

Anyway, when I imported the gpx file into Garmin's desktop mapping programme (which also had a .xml suffix, I suppose as it been downloaded from web page somewhere), route just gave the straight lines between the waypoints, so Basecamp recalculated to give an actual route, and this didn't match the google maps route, although the google maps route also seems to some how have been transmogrified.

For those using google maps on the phone, I'm pretty sure that Google will recalculate if off route, but who knows what criteria it uses, plus it just fails if there's no phone data

These apps have got good route planning and also allow export of a good gpx file

Kurviger
    MotoGoLoco

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Any footage of me eating my pain au chocolat at Cafe 94 Tony?
    I’ll see what I can do ;)