closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Which of the following dates can you make (please don't ask for others)?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • March 3

11 64.71%
  • March 9

7 41.18%
  • March 10

12 70.59%
  • March 17

11 64.71%
  • March 23

11 64.71%
  • March 24

13 76.47%
  • March 30

12 70.59%
  • March 31

10 58.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TZ bikers ride-out and GTG (see update in post #58)

TZ bikers ride-out and GTG (see update in post #58)

Following the first thread to get expressions of interest, this poll is to determine which day in March we go for. Please indicate ALL the dates that you can make, and we'll go with the most popular once it looks like we have all the submissions we're going to get.

Once we've pinned down the date (now set for March 24th) I'll finalise the route and starting/stopping points. I'll also be asking everyone to complete a questionnaire on Google Forms, which will help me to pin down some detail, collate some info (mobile numbers, ICE details, etc), and clarify some exclusions from liability.

This is the list of attendees as it stands, so let me know if you want to be added - obviously, though, I appreciate that the route itself will probably result in some withdrawals now that it's been firmed up. (Note that I'll refine the list as people either confirm attendance or otherwise.)

100thmonkey
    Andy Tims (confirmed)
    berin (confirmed)
    Chinnock
    darrenw
    DibbleCorse
    E_2_Right-Force
    greenandblack (confirmed provisionally)
    Gyp (in the MX-5 with SWMBO)
    hhhh
    I a n (confirmed)
    inspector gadget
    JohnB4
    Joyce
    learningtofly (confirmed!!)
    lew07
    MadeOfCheese (confirmed)
    manganr (confirmed)
    Matt8500 (confirmed)
    ralphy
    Red Steve (confirmed)
    Saint-Just
    samswatch
    SimonH (confirmed)
    skmark (confirmed)
    Spareparts (confirmed)
    Stanford
    sv-steve (confirmed)
    Thewatchbloke (confirmed)
    tz-uk73
    Vanguard
    wileeeeeey (confirmed)

And bikes, just as a point of interest...

BMW 7
    Triumph 5
    Ducati 5
    Aprilia 1
    KTM 1
    CCM 1
    Honda 1
    Last edited by learningtofly; 23rd March 2019 at 21:59.

Did the other thread end up choosing a destination for the ride out?

I recall it being Oxford/Cotswolds way, which will be too far away from me to do a ride out, sadly.

Need to know where it is please.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Did the other thread end up choosing a destination for the ride out?

I recall it being Oxford/Cotswolds way, which will be too far away from me to do a ride out, sadly.

Need to know where it is please.
    As per the OP, although it's looking like the home counties in some form or another. I've not had any other route proposals, I'm afraid.

Count me in please!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Count me in please!

Thanks Tony- will complete when home!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    As per the OP, although it's looking like the home counties in some form or another. I've not had any other route proposals, I'm afraid.
    Sorry to be difficult, but I won't be able to commit without knowing where it will be.

If its an Oxford thing, for example, 2.5 hours to get there, 4 hours ride out and 2.5h home, would make it double to longest I've ever done in a single day, so I would probably not be up for it, sadly.

If its around the roads of Norfolk or Suffolk.........

Master
    Thanks for all the effort Tony - here's hoping I'm able to make the winning date!

Currently I can make any/all of those, however as there are a number of home/work things that may impact, I'll not vote as I can't commit as such.

If I can make whatever date is chosen, I'll endeavour to be there!

March 31st is Mothers day (and the first day of British summer time incidentally) and 17th is St Patrick's Day, so I won't be able make either of those but the rest are fine

All good for me with the exception of the 9th.

Craftsman
    Dates ok for me are 3rd - 7th - 9th - 10th- 16th - 17th - poss 24th and poss 31st , Cheers, John B4 (oh and ta for setting this up!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Currently I can make any/all of those, however as there are a number of home/work things that may impact, I'll not vote as I can't commit as such.

If I can make whatever date is chosen, I'll endeavour to be there!
    Ditto!

I’ll just try and fit in around everyone else, as can’t commit that far in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay chaps, March 24th it is! Block it out in your diaries, and I'll now do some work on the route. I may well move to PM/email too, as I need to collate some info from everyone.

Booked!

Hi, can you add me too please.

Quote Originally Posted by DibbleCorse View Post
    Hi, can you add me too please.
    Yes, done.

Excellent. Works for me.

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm now at a do in Bedford and staying over on the 23rd.

If Mrs Gyp is with me we'll be in the car. If not, I'll bring the bike and join in if the route works out

I'm now at a do in Bedford and staying over on the 23rd.

If Mrs Gyp is with me we'll be in the car. If not, I'll bring the bike and join in if the route works out
    That could work out very nicely - I'll leave you to do the necessary

That could work out very nicely - I'll leave you to do the necessary
    I take it you mean I've got to murder Mrs Gyp and bury her under the patio?

Ok, I'm on it...

I take it you mean I've got to murder Mrs Gyp and bury her under the patio?

Ok, I'm on it...

I'll be in touch with everyone on the list in the OP over the course of next week. Really looking forward to this

Thanks again Tony- it’s in the diary!

Due to the distance involved in getting from home to the anticipated starting point, I'll be riding up on the Saturday afternoon and staying overnight in a hotel in High Wycombe. If anyone is local and fancies a beer & a bite to eat on Saturday night let me know.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Due to the distance involved in getting from home to the anticipated starting point, I'll be riding up on the Saturday afternoon and staying overnight in a hotel in High Wycombe. If anyone is local and fancies a beer & a bite to eat on Saturday night let me know.

Cheers,
    Steve.
    I’d probably be up for that, Steve, as you’ll be fairly close to me and there’s no football on the Saturday.

I’d probably be up for that, Steve, as you’ll be fairly close to me and there’s no football on the Saturday.
    Cheers Tony, myself and my mate who's riding up from Southend on Sea will be staying at a small guest house/hotel on Priory Road, HP13 6SL Apparently it's close to the centre so should be an easy stroll to find a restaurant/pub.

Sorry guys - just refining some of the detail with Ian, but I'll be contacting everyone over the next 2-3 days

Okay, full details now sent to everyone on the list with the exception of @DarrenW and @DibbleCorse. Guys, please clear some message space in order that I can send you the details.

One thing I must stress - you do need to complete/submit the form if you want to participate as it has some important disclaimers.

Thanks in advance, all
    Last edited by learningtofly; 6th February 2019 at 02:20.

Okay, full details now sent to everyone on the list with the exception of @DarrenW and @DibbleCorse. Guys, please clear some message space in order that I can send you the details.

One thing I need to stress - if you don't complete and submit the Google form as per the request , you won't hear further from me and I'll be taking your name off the list.

Thanks in advance, all
    Tony, I appreciate the effort that you (and others) have put into this but I will not/cannot complete the Google form.
    I understand the reason for a simple disclaimer (page 1) for your own protection and for some basic contact information which I would be prepared to provide, but I would expect anyone taking part to take responsibility for having ICE contact details on their person (phone, wallet etc.) but I find the rest a bit intrusive, particularly as I don't know what security exists around the data...as for which bike I might be riding on the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Tony, I appreciate the effort that you (and others) have put into this but I will not/cannot complete the Google form.
    I understand the reason for a simple disclaimer (page 1) for your own protection and for some basic contact information which I would be prepared to provide, but I would expect anyone taking part to take responsibility for having ICE contact details on their person (phone, wallet etc.) but I find the rest a bit intrusive, particularly as I don't know what security exists around the data...as for which bike I might be riding on the day...
    Well, I'd much rather that you had PM'd me about this, but fair enough (although centrally collated contact and ICE information is to my mind a good thing should the worst happen). I'll take you off the list - feel free to have a rethink at any time, though.

Update: I've now made a couple of the questions optional, not that I think there was a problem with them in the first place.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 5th February 2019 at 18:38.

Okay, full details now sent to everyone on the list with the exception of @DarrenW and @DibbleCorse. Guys, please clear some message space in order that I can send you the details.:
    Sorry, Inbox now cleared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You all need to get onto Seiya quickly before they sell out of these:

https://www.seiyajapan.com/collectio...imited-edition

Perhaps a limited edition TZ-MC is in the offing?
    "A man of little significance"

TZ bikers ride-out and GTG (now set for March 24th)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    You all need to get onto Seiya quickly before they sell out of these:

https://www.seiyajapan.com/collectio...imited-edition

Perhaps a limited edition TZ-MC is in the offing?
    What a bizarre thing for Seiko to do.

What a bizarre thing for Seiko to do.
    These watches with wonky dates, eh?
    "A man of little significance"

Is anyone having problems uploading the route's gpx file to a garmin sat nav? I can upload it to my BMW nav6 (Garmin) but once its on there it tells me the route is 202 miles and will take 7hr 20 mins! When I examine the route it looks like parts of it have been changed, for instance it takes in part of the M40. Very odd.

I know google have changed their map sharing now so if you put a route url into https://mapstogpx.com/ it just comes up with an error so I can't even generate my own gpx file. I've tried uploading the gpx file with base camp but although it says it's successful it doesn't appear in trip planner or tracks on the Nav6.

Anybody know any workarounds to get the route uploaded correctly? Or even how to do it correctly as it could be operator error!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Is anyone having problems uploading the route's gpx file to a garmin sat nav? I can upload it to my BMW nav6 (Garmin) but once its on there it tells me the route is 202 miles and will take 7hr 20 mins! When I examine the route it looks like parts of it have been changed, for instance it takes in part of the M40. Very odd.

I know google have changed their map sharing now so if you put a route url into https://mapstogpx.com/ it just comes up with an error so I can't even generate my own gpx file. I've tried uploading the gpx file with base camp but although it says it's successful it doesn't appear in trip planner or tracks on the Nav6.

Anybody know any workarounds to get the route uploaded correctly? Or even how to do it correctly as it could be operator error!
    Duncan, it may be worth dropping a note to Ian/I a n - he's already offered to help if anyone has problems, and tbh it's all double-dutch to me as I only use Google Maps and Waze.

Will do Tony, uploading routes is all new to me too

Master
    Will do Tony, uploading routes is all new to me too

I'm testing some new file formats with Duncan ... we'll get this sorted shortly.

I'm using ITN Converter which is free and should be able to load the files I uploaded and export in the format of your choice.
    If you confirm the format that works - I'll share on this thread.

ITN Converter ...
    http://www.benichou-software.com/ind...emid=2&lang=en

The route imported pretty well to my Garmin basecamp (but needed to be recalculated). The only sections needing correction being the start and finish where it decided to take the M40.
    It might be worth checking the routing settings on your satnav (e.g. fastest, curvy, avoidances etc.) as they will affect how it calculates a route.
    Last edited by Stanford; 5th February 2019 at 22:31.

Well, we're up to 11 18 so far, which is a great number already. However, with a really good route and multiple joining points we can certainly accommodate a lot more. If you still fancy joining us, you all now have the slide deck with the route details together with the Google form which you'll need to complete as well.

I'll be setting up a WhatsApp group over the weekend, by the way. Oh, and more than half the bikes so far are BMW's interestingly :)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 8th February 2019 at 17:54.

I've filled out the form, but attendance is 50/50 at best as we would be on the way back from a Saturday night away.

Getting Mrs Gyp to agree to going away for the weekend on the bike then get up early enough on the Sunday after a night on the lash is a big ask.

I've filled out the form, but attendance is 50/50 at best as we would be on the way back from a Saturday night away.

Getting Mrs Gyp to agree to going away for the weekend on the bike then get up early enough on the Sunday after a night on the lash is a big ask.
    No worries - you have my details so just let me know nearer the time.

Just one thing worth adding - I intend speaking to the H Cafe in order to give them early warning of our attendance given that it's going to be a Sunday afternoon. It would obviously be helpful to have a reasonable idea of numbers in order to do that, though.

Oh, and I've just taken delivery of an Ion Air Pro 3 which I picked up very cheaply on Amazon Marketplace. I'll try and work out how to use it between now and 24/3

Anyone else planning to shoot any footage?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 7th February 2019 at 12:45.

Oh, and I've just taken delivery of an Ion Air Pro 3 which I picked up very cheaply on Amazon Marketplace. I'll try and work out how to use it between now and 24/3

I've often considered an action camera and for £100 this seems a good buy. I'll be interested to see the footage after the ride.

Just one thing worth adding - I intend speaking to the H Cafe in order to give them early warning of our attendance given that it's going to be a Sunday afternoon. It would obviously be helpful to have a reasonable idea of numbers in order to do that, though.

I ride with a GoPro but only in case I have an accident. I have no editing skills at all and never review the footage unless something happens. It's great for insurance claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    I've often considered an action camera and for £100 this seems a good buy. I'll be interested to see the footage after the ride.
    Yes, £99 - however, an external mic, the Ion mount pack (needed to mount it on the helmet side) and a memory card have taken it to about £140 in total. Anyway, it still seems good value compared to a GoPro.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I ride with a GoPro but only in case I have an accident. I have no editing skills at all and never review the footage unless something happens. It's great for insurance claims.
    Yes, that was my primary reason for buying it too (and I have zero editing experience). On the ride, though it would be rude not to

I'm pleased to report after a few evenings of struggle I've actually managed to get the route uploaded to my Nav6 with it being changed during the process!

Many thanks to Stanford and I a n

Craftsman
    Thanks Tony, have completed the form.

Apologies if this has already been covered and without wishing to over complicate (particularly for you), but would be keen to know locations of others for potential "ride in"... I'll be coming up from the New Forest area so a bit of company along the way wouldn't hurt if anyone else feels the same.

Master

Download the gpx file, rename it to .gpx by removing the .htm suffix it downloads with. Open it in BaseCamp, it will look as though it’s just a series of waypoints connected by straight lines, probably because it was created with different maps. Double click the route in BaseCamp and ask it to recalculate, view it to make sure it looks right, then send it to your device.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app