closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mis-understanding Rolex Service request

Mis-understanding Rolex Service request

I have just picked up my 2003 16610 Sub from Goldsmith’s after a service - turnaround was about 7 weeks FYI - but think i’ve dropped a clanger....

So, it was sent off for initial assessment, and AD emailed me after a couple of weeks with report.
    Service price, as requested, plus following:
    Cracked bezel pip - replace of insert. Quoted. (I had not noticed this!)
    Hairline scratch to crystal - replace crystal. Quoted.
    Signs of wear to bracelet - new bracelet recommended. Quoted (VERY expensive!)

Now I know the crystal scratch is a nothing, and the bracelet is in perfectly good nick, but it seems to be the usual servicing sales patter for older watches (had same before with Rolex and Breitling) - so I replied to AD: “No, please just complete the full service, please replace the springbars as a precaution, but I’m happy with bracelet and crystal as is”.

Watch came back and case looks like new, all stickered-up and in it’s little green suede pouch, but they have not polished the bracelet, nor replaced the bezel insert.

So - have I been too exact in my request? Has the AD interpreted me too precisely?
    I fully expected the bezel insert to be replaced, and the bracelet to be shined up a touch....
    I know they mentioned the bezel in the initial mail, and I did not rule it out in my response - but also did not rule it in.
    I also thought a polish of the bracelet was part of the standard service.... I’m sure it was last time?

Whilst not necessary, I know I can get the bracelet whizzed off to Seth if I really feel like it, and can pop into Rolex for a replacement insert fairly easily, but I can’t help feeling a bit disappointed.
    I normally wouldn’t mind too much, as I have no problem if my watches show they are worn and loved, but I am thinking about moving it on. It’s a lovely full set but it’s just not as minty as it could have been....

So - My error, swallow it and sort it?
    Or reach out to AD and see what they can do?
    Should I have expected the bracelet to get a polish as standard?
    (The manager knows me a bit, has helped me before with stuff and I’ve had a number of watches off him over the years so can have a friendly chat.)

I don’t really fancy sending it off again, although if I am selling I will not be wearing it beforehand, will leave it stickered-up from service, so suppose I won’t miss it.l for a while longer.

And just to add, the level of care I have received from Goldsmiths (Nottingham) has been excellent - they have always and continue to make me feel like a very valued customer. It’s worth giving good feedback where due, as I know folks get varying degrees of quality from some ADs and have seen less than the best comments about various Goldsmiths franchises before now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, but I think that's on you! You said "“No, please just complete the full service..." and that to me implies you just want the service. No polishing, no replacing of external parts.

You also specifically stated you are happy with the bracelet as is, so I can't see how that could mean you wanted it polished.

Master
    I'd say they've done as you asked. If you wanted the bezel replaced and bracelet polished you ought to have made it clear. If anything I'd say the AD and/or Rolex have erred on the right side of caution here as anything more could have been grounds for you (others) to complain.

Speak to your AD and see what they say as you've clearly a good relationship with them.

Craftsman
    I agree with them not replacing the bezel but it should have been polished as it is standard with Rolex services

Looks like your specification is misleading.

Sometimes Less is More......

Bullet-pointed what is required (and if necessary - what is NOT required)

One of my watches is away at Rolex for a service at the moment. Now wondering what I did and did not specify.

Master
    Im assuming its standard to polish unless instructed not to - however you did state just the service.

Id challenge them though and ask them to polish the bracelet as that is part of a standard service etc.

I’d query why the case has had some treatment whilst the bracelet hasn’t? See what the AD says and take it from there.

Master
    Not if they have advised a new bracelet.
    I sent a bi metal sub away a few years ago and they advised a new bracelet to be fitted. I declined, the watch was sent back with the bracelet separate to the watch and obviously unpolished.
    Lovely polish to the case though!

Craftsman
    This to me:

"I’m happy with bracelet and crystal as is”.

Would indicate that you didn't want the bracelet touched. That would be my guess as to why they didn't polish. Worth speaking to the dealer however as they may send it back as good will if you have a good relationship :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    This to me:

"I’m happy with bracelet and crystal as is”.

Would indicate that you didn't want the bracelet touched. That would be my guess as to why they didn't polish. Worth speaking to the dealer however as they may send it back as good will if you have a good relationship :)
    That's very much my sentiments of how your response came across. You've certainly got nothing to lose by discussing issue with AD.

General policy when a bracelet exchange is refused is to not polish the existing bracelet.

Having owned quite a few Oyster bracelets in the past (attached to Rolex watches not on their own!) I’m amazed how often knackered Rolex bracelets are mentioned on this forum. The longest I owned any one Rolex was 7 years (flipperitis!) and the bracelet was still tight and secure. I know everything wears out and I’m not bashing Rolex, but for what they cost they don’t appear to be especially rugged or hard- wearing - in fact how often do eg Omega suggest replacement bracelets, and do they suffer from the same amount of wear/stretch? - or is there something about the Oyster and Jubilee that results in wear like this?

Master
    Sorry, I think you've boobed here. I don't think you said what you meant.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yep, I think they have followed your explicit instruction.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Yep, I think they have followed your explicit instruction.
    Agreed, far better that RSC did too little than too much. Any further work can be done later, too much work cannot be undone.

FWIW, on my last Submariner service I specifically asked that RSC did not polish the watch head with which they complied. All other work, including polishing thebracelet was undertaken.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 8th January 2019 at 10:24.

I don't understand why people deal through AD when servicing and repairing watches. I know it's not easy to get down to London but I've always dealt directly with Richemont and Rolex and everything has been in writing on a letter or an email.

Talking through an AD who can't get things right at the best of times seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

I just had my Rolex serviced at St James. Dropped it off in November, got an email the following day specifying the work, immediately responded by email. Got a nice follow up email in confirmation and voila. 5 weeks later the watch was done.

It's only a 2hr train ride for me and I can combine with a business trip but perhaps the service centres will insure RMSD post incoming. Or send a prepaid envelope? Worth enquiring.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Having owned quite a few Oyster bracelets in the past (attached to Rolex watches not on their own!) I’m amazed how often knackered Rolex bracelets are mentioned on this forum. The longest I owned any one Rolex was 7 years (flipperitis!) and the bracelet was still tight and secure. I know everything wears out and I’m not bashing Rolex, but for what they cost they don’t appear to be especially rugged or hard- wearing - in fact how often do eg Omega suggest replacement bracelets, and do they suffer from the same amount of wear/stretch? - or is there something about the Oyster and Jubilee that results in wear like this?

Ive never needed to replace a Rolex bracelet (old man had a new jubilee ordered, but they are known to stretch, and the watch is an early 80’s 16750 GMT) but I have had a number of clasp failures with a few Omegas over the years. I did replace a Rolex clasp on a Submariner, as I’d bent it by accident and it never really performed as well - I’m not sure that counts.

My ex had almost wrecked the bracelet on her SMP, and it’s had to have in no particular order of failure, a new clasp, a new end link, and a number of new links. Her watches, both Rolex and Omega, look like they had a fight with a gravel car park. Another ex would wear her watches fairly loose and next to heavy bracelets, and they always looked battered, with had stretched bracelets.

Some people are just very harsh on their watches - generally not enthusiasts, but if they sell a used watch and it’s then bought... if it’s an only watch and worn every day for years, it’s going to get some wear.
    It's just a matter of time...

RSC St James will replace the bezel insert while you wait. Last time I had one done it was about £25.

Craftsman
    I also think they did as they were told, but if your selling it you could just send it off to them again too or make a trip to London for a long weekend and get the bezel changed there

Muppet 😎

Sorry, couldn't resist😈
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m amazed how often knackered Rolex bracelets are mentioned on this forum. I know everything wears out and I’m not bashing Rolex, but for what they cost they don’t appear to be especially rugged or hard- wearing.
    I don't think it's an unusual deficiency or problem with Rolex bracelets as such, more a combination of factors:

- Rolex Service Centre preferring to send watches out the door as close to new as possible & covering themselves by pointing out potential areas of weakness for optional repair in case they later do fail and the customer brings them back under warranty (which is why every condition report seems to depict the watch as having multiple issues).

- Rolex watches lasting a long time and being retained due to their greater financial value, hence more chance of seeing decades-old watches still being worn daily on knackered bracelets, when similarly aged but lesser-value watches from other brands were maybe ditched, switched to leather or left broken in drawers.

- The older style hollow-link bracelets allowed for more dirt ingress & movement on wrist, which over the years creates a continually abrasive paste, wearing pins down and allowing for even more flex. That wasn't a feature unique to Rolex, and is a benefit of the newer solid-link bracelets.

- Jubilee bracelets will always suffer more from stretch & flex than Oyster etc., and there's a lot of Rolex knocking around on Jubilees.

Mis-understanding Rolex Service request

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Muppet

Sorry, couldn't resist
    Ha ha! I think this is really the crux of it.... only myself to blame - and better they didn’t do, rather than did something I didn’t want.

Interesting comments on the bracelet - there really is nothing wrong with it, little stretch, usual wear for a watch that age - so don’t know what generates a recommendation to replace?
    Anyway, will get the bezel insert swapped when in London this month and mention the polish, see what they explain.

Craftsman
    I think you could argue it either way but regadless that is annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Interesting comments on the bracelet - there really is nothing wrong with it, little stretch, usual wear for a watch that age - so don’t know what generates a recommendation to replace?
    Almost every time someone posts a Rolex Service report on here the bracelet is mentioned. No doubt most have some level of wear & stretch, but I suspect many are in zero danger of falling apart anytime soon, and it is just Rolex covering themselves (they are in the business of getting the watch in best possible shape & avoiding warranty returns - not saving you money or preserving originality). Of course, it is the only thing holding an expensive watch to the wrist, and sometimes they are in legitimately bad shape, so it's worth exercising some common sense. There are other, cheaper repair options to tighten stretched bracelets, besides forking-out the eye-watering sum for a brand new bracelet.

Sorry for this question but who is Seth?

Is he the man to speak to about bracelet refurbishment?

I have a couple of Tag Heuer watches that need tidying up and maybe this could be an alternative to sending them to Tag Heuer?

Sorry again for the off topic question

Recommendation of new bracelet even when not really necessary — seemingly normal.
    Customer’s refusal to accept recommendation — probably sensible.
    Failure to refurbish bracelet after replacement recommended — sadly, usual.

LOOK ROLEX — I’ve sent you this watch to service, the price for which includes refurbishing the bracelet. You want to sell me a new bracelet but I’m happy with what I’ve got — so refurbish it!