closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MOT & HID Conversions

MOT & HID Conversions

Any MOT testers or anyone with experience of an MOT under the new rules ?

I carried out a "proper" HID conversion on my bike a few years ago - cut a large hole in the reflector and fitted an HID projector so it is a full HID not an HID bulb in an incandescent reflector that blinds everyone.

This now technically falls foul of the MOT regulations as it is in a "headlight not designed for an HID bulb" but of course I am not using the headlight anymore...

I guess the best bet is to ask the garage that MOT tests the bike but wondered if anyone could suggest what to expect.

Master
    In my experience, if the headlight aiming and cutoff etc passes the test, that’s about as far as the MOT will go. I don’t believe that they will check E markings on the headlight unit etc.

It might be more problematic should you be involved in an accident though, as the insurance may be more investigative.

Craftsman
    Under the latest rules, HID conversions are a fail. However, one thing that has not changed for both cars and motorcycles is this:

4.1 Headlamps

4.1.1 Presence, condition and operation
    A motorcycle or motorcycle combination must be fitted with one headlamp, although additional headlamps may be fitted. Apart from headlamp security, the check only applies to mandatory lamps.

Headlamps aren’t needed on motorcycles that:

aren't fitted with front and rear position lamps
    have had their front and rear position lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked.

So, if you permanently disconnect or mask your front and rear position lamps, they, along with the headlamp and brake light cannot be tested. If they cannot be tested, they cannot be failed.

Contrary to popular belief, you will not be issued with a mythical 'daylight' MOT, but a regular MOT with an advisory stating that lights were not present and not tested at the time of test. You can then reconnect/unmask them after the test but you may still be prosecuted under the C&U act. HTH.

Thank you that is a very helpful suggestion re the lights not being present I will use that as part of my negotiations around the headlight if necessary and bring some duct tape with me to the MOT. The people there have tested the bike for years so hopefully will be helpful where they can be.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My bikes HID headlamp was failed today even though the beam was adjustable, I have decided to go down the LED lamp route and have ordered a specific conversion kit from LEDperf.

mike

Thanks for the update. Was it an HID bulb in a reflector or a full HID conversion ?

I picked up a 2nd hand headlight from eBay - my MOT is end of March so hoping to get the rest of winter out of it and will then try an LED if it is failed. At least the LED will be an easy swap if needed as I had to shim the headlight housing to get the HID into correct alignment !

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It was a full conversion with ballast canbus etc, be careful if you just swap the bulb from HID to LED as a lot of bulbs state off-road use only!!!! I have gone for the full conversion LED kit.

good luck on your MOT.

Thank you - bit of a late update as got swamped with work straight afterwards.

It passed the MOT as the MOT tester considered it to have adequate beam cut off which you don't get with an HID bulb in a halogen reflector setup.

I am pleased as it was far too elaborate a conversion to switch over annually and I am definitely more visible to traffic as witnessed by the cars that move for me vs when I had the halogen bulb even when i had relayed it.