closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steamed up Crystal

Master

Steamed up Crystal

So it look as if the HE crown has unscrewed itself on my PO and when I was in the shower last night its allowed water/steam into the case. Never noticed it last night, only this morning.
    Now I think it was more steam than actual water but honestly couldn't be 100%. The cashback is see through and there is no water sloshing about, nor is it steamed up. Only the crystal.
    As I type I have it in a box of uncle Benns.

My question to you guys is what do you think the chances are of the rice obsorbing the moisture? I have both crowned pulled out obviously to allow for this.
    Never had experience of this before so really have no idea.

Hopefully it's not gonna be a major drama

This happened to me Sam a few years back after washing a watch. The rice didn't draw any of the moisture out when I tried it, and even if you were to notice an improvement, it would be a risk to assume all was ok again. My suggestion would be to send it off for service before the wet environment starts to cause damage to the movement and it ends up costing you a lot more to rectify.

Blog Entries
    I would pack it off for a service ASAP! You don’t want moisture in a watch case. There may be some indies available though IMHO Omega service centre has never been an issue.

If you phone them (omega service) direct they will send you out a package for return by RMSD all very efficient. You can then track your service online.

Sorry to here your experience - but puzzled how a He escape valve / crown can unscrew itself?

Hope all goes well.

M

If it's within warranty I would ask Omega to step up, and even if not, dependant on age, I'd be asking for a goodwill service of the watch.

I believe they are supposed to retain wr to about 50m unscrewed anyway - many have let in moisture though!
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 7th January 2019 at 10:03.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Keep us posted!, the indices should start dropping off in 5 months.

mike

Rice is an old wives tale. Get some silica gel.

Blog Entries
    Microwave on full for 2mins should do the trick. (Joke)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Rice is an old wives tale. Get some silica gel.
    Silica gel is a far better drying agent but it needs to be totally dry itself and that means heating in an oven to around 180 degrees. The concept of drying watches this way is somewhat over-rated!

Sensible thing to do is to get the back off ASAP. Take it to a repairer who’s got the tool to do this or do it yourself. Ideally, the movement and dial needs to come out. Find someone who can do this as a matter of priority.

I would’ve expected an unscrewed He valve to still keep water out, but this has happened before so obviously it doesn’t.

I've not owned an Omega diving watch but thought that the HE valve was meant to be infallible?

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Thanks for all the replies so far.

I'm not gonna be able to do anything with it before Thursday. I guess I'll just have to take it into the AD. I know they have a certified guy in house so hopefully he can take it apart and inspect for any damage.

Pretty annoyed as it's now my only "decent" watch and it's never off my wrist.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    IME it was never a problem on the SMP, but the PO's seem to leak.

Master
    Thing is the watch is now 5 years old, this month actually so maybe this is just the excuse I needed to send it off for a service.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper-sam View Post
    Thanks for all the replies so far.

I'm not gonna be able to do anything with it before Thursday. I guess I'll just have to take it into the AD. I know they have a certified guy in house so hopefully he can take it apart and inspect for any damage.

Pretty annoyed as it's now my only "decent" watch and it's never off my wrist.

I really would recommend phoning Omega Service Centre direct - they will send you out a package by return - cut out the middle-man. My experience of ‘AD’s is less than perfect.

The Swatch Group (UK) Ltd
    Charter Court
    Third Avenue
    Southampton
    Hampshire
    SO15 0JA

Tel: ++44 (0)845 899 0086
    Fax: ++44 (0)2380 646 900

If you have any comments regarding the service you have received, please contact the Head of Customer Care by email to:headofcustomercare@uk.swatchgroup.com

Master
    If it’s not that old omega may well service it FOC, if it’s correct that it should retain some WR with the HE crown unscrewed there is most likely a bad seal anyway.

I know someone who’s had two free service and seals on their omega due to water ingress. Mind you it doesn’t say much that it took on water again the second time.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    If it’s not that old omega may well service it FOC, if it’s correct that it should retain some WR with the HE crown unscrewed there is most likely a bad seal anyway.

I know someone who’s had two free service and seals on their omega due to water ingress. Mind you it doesn’t say much that it took on water again the second time.
    That’s exactly what I’d be doing - from reading online ( and I’d be stating that to Omega) it is known that PO’s can leak through the HRV, in a bloody shower, and it supposed to retain WR. Any way, you have nothing to lose in suggesting that they might like to be nice and sort it for you. An untouched watch, no doubt used mostly for a bit of desk wear, and with 600m WR, should not be failing within 5-6 years!
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Silica gel is a far better drying agent but it needs to be totally dry itself and that means heating in an oven to around 180 degrees. The concept of drying watches this way is somewhat over-rated!

Sensible thing to do is to get the back off ASAP. Take it to a repairer who’s got the tool to do this or do it yourself. Ideally, the movement and dial needs to come out. Find someone who can do this as a matter of priority.

I would’ve expected an unscrewed He valve to still keep water out, but this has happened before so obviously it doesn’t.
    Yes, ideally 200+ degrees in a vacuum oven but a domestic oven will suffice.

Maybe the valve lets in very humid air (water as gas) which then condenses when cold on the crystal?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I really would recommend phoning Omega Service Centre direct - they will send you out a package by return - cut out the middle-man. My experience of ‘AD’s is less than perfect.

The Swatch Group (UK) Ltd
    Charter Court
    Third Avenue
    Southampton
    Hampshire
    SO15 0JA

Tel: ++44 (0)845 899 0086
    Fax: ++44 (0)2380 646 900

If you have any comments regarding the service you have received, please contact the Head of Customer Care by email to:headofcustomercare@uk.swatchgroup.com
    Thanks for the info. Think I'll just give them a call. It'll get the watch serviced anyway which is no bad thing and put my mind at rest about possible water damage long term. It's a 5.5k watch at the end of day so deserves to have the correct treatment.
    I'll defo push for a freebie as has already been discussed even with the HE crown out it probably shouldn't have let anything in with just being in the shower. No pressure being applied to the watch etc.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My memory fades but I am sure my old SMP managed 70m with the HEV open.

Master
    So what does everyone make of this?
    Eye watering price for dial and hands.

Journeyman
    I had similar quote on a Seamaster last year for the same thing

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post

The only thing FOC stands for nowdays, in any market is "F**K Our Customers".

It's very very rare to get a large company who will see outside the black and white text of a warranty. Often when covered, an argument still has to happen just to get them to abide by their own warranty.
    When a company is selling millions of units a few hundred or even thousand complaints rarely make a dent.

Smaller companies who either value their customers or know their share is too small for bad press usually have a bit of leeway.

Those costs are eye-watering indeed!

You could ask about a goodwill gesture, but I don’t think that will go anywhere with a 5 year old watch.

I would much rather use an accredited independent, but I think getting the work done on a time-critical matter quickly enough will be hard. You could see how quickly someone like Genesis could deal with it.

In the end, I suspect you will have to swallow the cost, although it would sour my relationship with the brand for life. Sorry.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Same thing happened to my PO.........twice. The HEV kept coming loose for some reason. First time it steamed up I was in the shower. Sent it back under warranty, explained about the HEV coming loose, and got it back like new...until the next time it happened on holiday. Again it was sent back under warranty but this time I phoned them and told them directly about the HEV coming loose. They again sorted it free of charge and actually fixed the problem with the HEV. Since then it's been perfect (should still be 50m water resistance even with the HEV fully open!).

Master
    I love the watch but I know in the future I'll be really paranoid about it when it in any sort it contact with water. And in the 4 years of ownership that has been the bath, shower and fish tank. Which is ridiculous to have water ingress in those circumstances.

Anyway I just put it through the house insurance. Which itself was a joke. 30 minute phone call. No proof of purchase. No proof of estimate. No nothing basically. Lots of questions but I could have told them anything. That was Monday. And the payment was in my bank yesterday. Less the excess. I haven't even told Lunns to proceed with the work yet and I've been paid out.

Mental. Or maybe I'm just niave to it all.

Master
    I wasn't sure how I was gonna feel about this watch once I got it back as some of the main visual parts had been changed and it wouldn't be "original" anymore.
    Got the text from the AD this morning and manged to get it collected at lunch. I'm definitely glad to have it back and Omega have done a good job on it. Even bringing the bracelet and case back to new again. It does look like a brand new watch.
    And an added bonus was that I got all the old parts back. They even changed the spring bars, no idea why.

Had though about selling it while it was away as I'd kindof got used to jot having it but now it's back I'll keep hold of it. For the time being.
    Somebody should definitely snap the one on sales corner up.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    IME it was never a problem on the SMP, but the PO's seem to leak.
    Mine did but was sorted under warranty

Master
    This is one of the reasons I always take my watch off before showering.

I read somewhere that watch seals should be checked on an annual basis if worn for swimming, etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post

I read somewhere that watch seals should be checked on an annual basis if worn for swimming, etc.
    I've started to now since getting it back yesterday and funny enough the AD did mention that to me about the seals.
    The watch was just over 4 years old and had never been looked at.

Craftsman
    Did they give you an extended 2 year warranty?
    Mine went back for warranty work last year and came back with an extended warranty.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I can’t think of a reason to keep a watch on while showering!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Did they give you an extended 2 year warranty?
    Mine went back for warranty work last year and came back with an extended warranty.
    Yeah got the 2 years mate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    My reason is purely because I'm not thinking about it. I am now though

Master
    My reason is purely because I'm not thinking about it. I am now though

I’d end up battering my watch against the tiles or something. I’m lethal in the bathroom!!

Journeyman
    Mine did the same.

I can't think of a reason to take off a watch with a depth rating of 2000ft

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    You do make a valid point. We shouldn't really be scared of water ingress on a watch depth rated to 600m while showering or bathing our children or whatever but The reality of it is though we should be.

Craftsman
    You do make a valid point. We shouldn't really be scared of water ingress on a watch depth rated to 600m while showering or bathing our children or whatever but The reality of it is though we should be.
    I do kind of agree and I'd be miffed - but on the other hand, it's 5 years old in what sounds like all kinds of regular use without any previous maintenance, so on the edge of the envelope. Maybe you were just very unlucky. Your watch looks fantastic now if it's any consolation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    I do kind of agree and I'd be miffed - but on the other hand, it's 5 years old in what sounds like all kinds of regular use without any previous maintenance, so on the edge of the envelope. Maybe you were just very unlucky. Your watch looks fantastic now if it's any consolation.
    Ha yeah agree with you Mark.

Master
    Glad you're back in love with it.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Putting HRV's on these watches is stupid and just introduces a failure point for no real benefit. Another case of marketing prioritites surplanting good dive watch design.

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Putting HRV's on these watches is stupid and just introduces a failure point for no real benefit. Another case of marketing prioritites surplanting good dive watch design.
    I have helium release valves on both Breitling & Rolex watches that I have no fear of ever giving trouble.

The Omega version baffles me with it's screw down design, and one of the things that has stopped me buying a Seamaster.

Apprentice
    I have helium release valves on both Breitling & Rolex watches that I have no fear of ever giving trouble.

The Omega version baffles me with it's screw down design, and one of the things that has stopped me buying a Seamaster.
    I have never thought Omega has ever made a decent dive watch (including the proplof-don't get me started). The manual He valve is almost saying the buyer knows nothing about saturation diving, and it's just stuck on there as some sort of toy so they'll buy it. I think they started doing this with all the Bond product placement 300Ms, which would make sense. If I were you, I'd get it fully repaired and sell it and hope to break even. Then get a real dive watch if you're a diver, or any Rolex Oyster if you're not. Oh, and don't shower with your watch, ever. It's pointless.

You misunderstand me...the screw-down arrangement is better. Everytime I put a watch on I check things are working and its all in good order because to me its a tool rather than jewelry. Automatic HRV's are problematic as salt may get into crevices or the internal spring may fail and there is no way for me to do anything about it until its too late.

Making some HRV equipped watches available on a 'professional' line is one thing, but putting them on every watch so people who don't even know what they are think they got a tougher watch, when in fact its now less robust, is a bad call IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I have never thought Omega has ever made a decent dive watch (including the proplof-don't get me started). The manual He valve is almost saying the buyer knows nothing about saturation diving, and it's just stuck on there as some sort of toy so they'll buy it. I think they started doing this with all the Bond product placement 300Ms, which would make sense. If I were you, I'd get it fully repaired and sell it and hope to break even. Then get a real dive watch if you're a diver, or any Rolex Oyster if you're not. Oh, and don't shower with your watch, ever. It's pointless.
    Interesting:-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Interesting:-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I have never thought Omega has ever made a decent dive watch (including the proplof-don't get me started).
    Really?

even with the He fart valve open the watch should remain water resistant for daily use . It is stated as such in the manual book

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    even with the He fart valve open the watch should remain water resistant for daily use . It is stated as such in the manual book
    What about the crown?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The SMP were IME always ok with the crown cover (HE valve) open, but the PO seemed to suffer leakage.

To wash the salt water off.