Thread: has anyone bought from Creation Watches

Master

has anyone bought from Creation Watches

https://www.creationwatches.com/aboutus.html

I'm after a cheapish Seiko "diver" type for on holiday

Yes.

They are genuine.

Aftercare, if you need it, doesn't exist.

Craftsman
    Yep, quick delivery too!

Bought a couple from them. Hassle-free, and they've turned up in a couple of days (they use DHL IIRC). I've heard they're not much use in the event of a problem, though, so bear that in mind.

Cheers,

Plug

Master
    Thanks Guys, any problems with UK VAT?

I just order a watch from them at the start of the week. If you choose the free shipping option be prepared to pay VAT and a handling charge when it arrives in the country. I believe if you choose Royal Mail shipping (which isn’t free) the watch is delivered from a uk warehouse so no tax to pay.
    The above is assuming you are in the UK.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Thanks Guys, any problems with UK VAT?
    No, you have to pay it.

Bought a Seiko.

Arrived promptly.

Faulty when delivered, I asked to return it.

Creation weren't in the slightest bit interested in my sending it back to them and told me to send it to Seiko UK and make use of the warranty.

I said that I wanted a refund, but they then responded again saying that I should send it to Seiko UK.

As it wasn't an expensive watch I decided to send it to Seiko UK, who sorted the problem.

So my experience seems the same as most others - fine when everything is fine, not interested in return or replacement if anything goes wrong despite the assurances https://www.creationwatches.com/returns.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    No, you have to pay it.
    so I just add 20% to the price as shipping to the UK by DHL is free

Is that what you paid?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    so I just add 20% to the price as shipping to the UK by DHL is free

Is that what you paid?
    No there will be a DHL processing fee as well which could be £12-£18 ish.

I've had 2 watches off them over the years. An Orient and a Seiko.

Both arrived to my door with no further payment required but I was probably lucky and in each case the watches were £100 territory.

Creation used to deliberately understate the value and describe it as a ‘measuring instrument’, as a way of ensuring customers didn’t pay VAT. HMRC caught on to it and they no longer do it. So as has already been said, OP, expect to pay 20% + around £18 on top of the purchase price.

I had a Seiko turn up with the date mechanism completely detached from the movement and went through exactly the same rigmarole as the earlier poster. Creation were adamant that I should send it to Seiko UK for a warranty repair, which I did. Under those circumstances you have to be quite firm with Seiko as their initial response is always that Creation are not an AD so they try to suggest that the manufacturers warranty doesn’t apply. It does and they will back down and honour it if they are reminded that a worldwide guarantee is on the watch and not dependent on the supplier...

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 5th January 2019 at 20:06.

Isn’t city watches a European distributor for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    No there will be a DHL processing fee as well which could be £12-£18 ish.
    And the distinct possibility of it going missing when the DHL driver leaves it on the doorstep without knocking.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Seiko SKX 007 K2 (on Seiko Jubilee Bracelet?) arrived this morning - ordered on Sunday 6th

a pleasant watch - feels better on than in the hand - just had to remove two links, (easy to remove), and change the position of the Bracelet in the clasp by two "holes" to fit my 7" wrist

size wise it looks very similar to my 16610, but maybe feels a little smaller because it is a lot lighter weight on the wrist than the Rolex Sub

will try it on an Olive Green Zulu, but the spring bars in the end links seems as if they may take some getting off

Overall pleased, and for the money very pleased

Craftsman
    I bought a watch from them a couple of years ago. It was a painless experience and there was no VAT to pay etc. Can't fault them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Isn’t city watches a European distributor for them?
    Yes - dealt with them before with no VAT to pay.

Master
    I've ordered maybe 15 watches from them in the last few years. All relatively low value Seikos, Orients etc.

You can avoid paying tax & import duty if you opt for Royal Mail delivery. Costs about £6, and you won't get a nice box

I've never had a problem with any watch I've received, but I believe that aftercare is not brilliant.

Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I've ordered maybe 15 watches from them in the last few years. All relatively low value Seikos, Orients etc.

You can avoid paying tax & import duty if you opt for Royal Mail delivery. Costs about £6, and you won't get a nice box

I've never had a problem with any watch I've received, but I believe that aftercare is not brilliant.

Do it!
    Isn't that because the watch comes from Ireland?

Best be quick of you want this option...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I've bought a couple from them. The first few were in the days when they put $20 on everything and they sailed through customs. The last one I factored in the 20% hit.

I must admit that I wouldnt fancy returning a watch if there was an issue. I did order an Orient Mako from another store in the same area before Christmas and they sent the wrong watch. I did get a good discount on it, so I just popped it on SC at the price that I had paid. Seemed much easier than returning it and the buyer got a still sealed watch at a decent price

2nd recent watch from Creation, using the Royal Mail option arrived today with me. Both times, sent via Tracked 48 service and posted from Salford:

The package on both occasions was VERY well bubble wrapped. A "popup" watch box is also included (not branded).

And well why not... my new "Mini Ice Monster". Its not subtle is it (but i like it! 4R36 inside.. hacking and hand winding)

Just to confirm - 12 days from ordered to delivered. Sent FROM the UK and no duty in both cases

Journeyman
    My 007 arrived from Creation a few days ago and it keeps stopping. Will have to get in touch with them and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Mclure View Post
    My 007 arrived from Creation a few days ago and it keeps stopping. Will have to get in touch with them and see what happens.

Save yourself the time and frustration and go straight to Seiko for a warranty claim. You will get nowhere with creation.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    I bought a watch from them a couple of years ago. It was a painless experience and there was no VAT to pay etc. Can't fault them.
    I can second that. I had no issues ordering a seiko 5 field watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    bought several times in the past , there was no VAT additional at that time (France)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Save yourself the time and frustration and go straight to Seiko for a warranty claim. You will get nowhere with creation.
    Thanks for the advice.

If you want a cheap Seiko diver have a look at City Watches on eBay, they are a European branch of Creation. Purchase price will be higher but you won’t get landed with the import stuff. There are a few others on eBay too.

Don’t think I’ll buy from Creation again, bought an SKX007J recently, great watch, cost me £160 but took ages to arrive and then I got clobbered with the VAT and handling charge to the tune of £45, so was no better off price wise and had to wait longer for it. DHL’swe site for paying your duty is crap as well.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    If you want a cheap Seiko diver have a look at City Watches on eBay, they are a European branch of Creation. Purchase price will be higher but you won’t get landed with the import stuff. There are a few others on eBay too.

Don’t think I’ll buy from Creation again, bought an SKX007J recently, great watch, cost me £160 but took ages to arrive and then I got clobbered with the VAT and handling charge to the tune of £45, so was no better off price wise and had to wait longer for it. DHL’swe site for paying your duty is crap as well.
    Or you could just have paid the £7 for Royal Mail postage and creation would have posted you the watch from the uk.

Craftsman
    Vat & handling charges (& shipping time if you choose the free option) all make what looks like a great deal, not such a good deal.
    work out the vat, add handling fee ( varies depending on shipping company) and then decide if the bargain is worth it to you.

Craftsman
    One more thing, for a good price on a diver, Robs Monster watches nl (https://www.monsterwatches.nl) has good prices on the entry level seiko watches. If its something you may be interested in, he will also upgrade crystals and movements .

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    True , I had one time to return a seiko turtle , and I have to admit their customer service is very poor , I had to insist and write 5 times to them in order to make them refund the watch. They insist on partial refunds a lot (it was an important drift problem) . Regarding the dozen of watches i bought to them at the time I was collecting 7s and 4r movement , i only had once this refund difficulty, but it’s worth mentionning it