closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Volkswagen E Golf

Hybrid View

Master

Volkswagen E Golf

Looks like VW have seriously missed the boat with this new launch.
    150 miles is just not going to cut it, not with companies like Hyundai and Kia bringing cars out with 200-300 mile ranges.
    When I saw the advert I thought, ooh, that could be my next taxi, because I would like to switch to 100% electric for my next taxi, but with that sort of range it’s not even a contender.

Craftsman
    I agree...even the new Zoe is reported to have closer to 250 miles when released.

Master
    The new Zoe is a leaf in disguise isn’t it so it’ll be 235 like the leaf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The new Zoe is a leaf in disguise isn’t it so it’ll be 235 like the leaf

Have I missed something? Which leaf does 235 miles on a charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Have I missed something? Which leaf does 235 miles on a charge?
    New one is supposedly certified to do 235.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Volkswagen E Golf

The current 40kwhr is 168 miles (wltp) which is fairly realistic.

If youre still looking at NEDC then it’s miles out.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 4th January 2019 at 22:22.

Master
    The current 40kwhr is 168 miles (wltp) which is fairly realistic.

If youre still looking at NEDC then it’s miles out.
    Nope, there is a 60 KWH version coming out this year. It’s launch has been delayed because Nissan didn’t want it overshadowed by the Carlos Ghosn scandal

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Nope, there is a 60 KWH version coming out this year. It’s launch has been delayed because Nissan didn’t want it overshadowed by the Carlos Ghosn scandal
    Has that been confirmed yet?

I’ve been waiting for the Nismo but, like the Niro and the Kona, it’ll probably be almost impossible to buy one!

Master
    Has that been confirmed yet?

I’ve been waiting for the Nismo but, like the Niro and the Kona, it’ll probably be almost impossible to buy one!
    There are too many stories from various sources to think otherwise. A quick google search brings up lots of results.

Craftsman

Volkswagen E Golf

I saw the Nissan Leaf with the petrol range extender recently.

Quote Originally Posted by tobetobes View Post
    I saw the Nissan Leaf with the petrol range extender recently.

Ahh, the ride of shame!

That’s what happens if you let your battery run out.

Master
    There is no new e-Golf?

The e-Golf order books opened in March 2014, though for some reason they’ve started actively advertising it again. There’s been a rumour for over a year that when the Golf 8 is released that battery capacity would be increased to 48 kWh giving an estimated 420 km range (which seems fanciful!).

Probably more likely clearing the decks of e-Golf mk7.5s and ramping up the interest in electric cars prior to the VW ID/Neo in 2020 which will be a 200-300 mile range car depending on the battery specified.

With the average motorist covering about 30 miles a day, carrying all that excess battery around for the occasional long trip seems wasteful.

Not sure that discounting a car because it wouldn’t suit being a taxi is all that fair either?!
    Last edited by Tooks; 5th January 2019 at 00:10.

Master

Volkswagen E Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    There is no new e-Golf?

The e-Golf order books opened in March 2014, though for some reason they’ve started actively advertising it again. There’s been a rumour for over a year that when the Golf 8 is released that battery capacity would be increased to 48 kWh giving an estimated 420 km range (which seems fanciful!).

Probably more likely clearing the decks of e-Golf mk7.5s and ramping up the interest in electric cars prior to the VW ID/Neo in 2020 which will be a 200-300 mile range car depending on the battery specified.

With the average motorist covering about 30 miles a day, carrying all that excess battery around for the occasional long trip seems wasteful.

Not sure that discounting a car because it wouldn’t suit being a taxi is all that fair either?!
    The VW website begs to differ.
    https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/gol...explore/e-golf
    As for discounting it, well yes it is fair. The competition is bringing out EV’s with much better range. 150 odd miles is crap.

Edit: it seems the real world range is even worse
    Last edited by jaytip; 5th January 2019 at 00:17.

The web address of that page is https ://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf-vii-pa/explore/e-golf so it's a mk.7. The mk. 8's a while away yet, isn't it?

124 mile range is LOL though.

Master
    The VW website begs to differ.
    https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/gol...explore/e-golf
    As for discounting it, well yes it is fair. The competition is bringing out EV’s with much better range. 150 odd miles is crap.

Edit: it seems the real world range is even worse
    Welcome to the world of the VW U.K. website not being entirely truthful... Nothing in the link says ‘New’ does it?

They’re pushing the e-golf again now it’s been through the new WLTP certification to get it’s ‘official’ range. Sales were paused along with many other models whilst they did this.

But, I promise you this is the exact same model (Mk7) and battery size as you will see (rarely) tootling about on a 15/16 plate onwards.

You want the ID NEO that has already been hawked around on press only pre launch demos, and it looks a good EV with a far better range even on the base model.

And I agree, the current e-Golf May be totally unsuitable for use as a Taxi, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad car, just a bad car for you.

The other thing is, you’re effectively comparing a 5 year old design with a new one, even allowing for being on sale only 3 years. Power electronics and battery density in EVs have moved on quite a bit in even that time.
    Last edited by Tooks; 5th January 2019 at 02:18.

Apprentice

Wink

Ahh, the ride of shame!

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh, the ride of shame!

I've got a 330e and whilst it's not the same as a full EV I've noticed a massive difference to the battery performance with the weather change.

Summer I was getting a good 30-35 mile of its battery - winter I'm getting tops of 20 more like 18

That's a huge swing, I'd be really concerned about bigger batteries and how much they drop off

That said I do love the EV driving and power delivery

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    I'd mirror what g40steve says I had one for a few days last year when it was cold and when it was fully charged the range only went up to 130 miles then as soon as you put all your lights de mister etc on the range dropped to 75 miles

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I'd mirror what g40steve says I had one for a few days last year when it was cold and when it was fully charged the range only went up to 130 miles then as soon as you put all your lights de mister etc on the range dropped to 75 miles
    Which is why you always see Tesla’s doing 50 in the inside lane with the occupants wearing 5 layers of overcoats.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Teslas are perhaps the only ones where you don’t need to do this. They also have active battery temperature management which also reduces the drop off in performance.

E-Golf might not work for everyone (especially not taxis) but my mate's getting one and i'm tempted too.... [though for me a niro or a kona is better suited]

His commute to work is costing him about £80 on fuel a week and work and back its just under the range the E-golf does - he can charge at home and at work (not everyone can I suppose)

the future is unstoppably electric though:

New fast chargers that Porsche are testing (350kw - 400 kw) they claim to have fast chargers that could add 60miles of range every three minutes.

E-Golf tested Real Range (between 135 - 285 km):
    City - Cold Weather 190 km
    Highway - Cold Weather 135 km
    Combined - Cold Weather 160 km
    City - Mild Weather 285 km
    Highway - Mild Weather 175 km
    Combined - Mild Weather 220 km
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 7th January 2019 at 16:23.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post

New fast chargers that Porsche are testing (350kw - 400 kw) they claim to have fast chargers that could add 60miles of range every three minutes.
    Yes but not really suitable for home charging are they? In the real world most of us have to contend with just what we can get out of charging at home so even with a 32amp charger anything more than 80-90Kw is an issue. I was reading in car mag about a tesla they had on long term test and it took a day and a half to charge it on the home charger!

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Yes but not really suitable for home charging are they? In the real world most of us have to contend with just what we can get out of charging at home so even with a 32amp charger anything more than 80-90Kw is an issue. I was reading in car mag about a tesla they had on long term test and it took a day and a half to charge it on the home charger!
    This will really hamper the roll out of EV's - the average motorist probably has not got a handle on what is involved and view it as simply plug it in.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    The biggest Tesla battery to date is I think 100 kWh, so even on a 32amp 7.2 kW connection that should only be about 15 hours from flat even allowing for charging losses?

Also, that size battery should be good for 300miles even in a P100D, and who realistically is doing that every day without recourse to a fast charger en route?

To be honest, it’s easy to make a case for EVs not working if you always cite the extreme cases. For every person that even a 100 mile EV would work for, there are others who need to tow a horse box 750 miles in one go or need a 500 mile range in case their elderly parents fall ill in the Hebrides.

Let’s be honest, we’ll be relying on a diverse personal transport energy mix for a while yet, EVs won’t be replacing everything even over the next 10 or 15 years. But they will certainly have a bigger role to play and should help with the local pollutants issue too.

I wonder when these will achieve tipping point? What I mean by this is at my workplace there are 3 chargers and already there are tussles to get the car on charge and as a result people are getting in earlier and earlier so they can secure a charge. The most annoying thing is that it’s the Bmw 330e and/or Mercedes 350e drivers who won’t move their cars, they’ve obviously forgotten that they also have an ICE so letting a purely electric car charge wouldn’t hurt them except in their wallet?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I wonder when these will achieve tipping point? What I mean by this is at my workplace there are 3 chargers and already there are tussles to get the car on charge and as a result people are getting in earlier and earlier so they can secure a charge. The most annoying thing is that it’s the Bmw 330e and/or Mercedes 350e drivers who won’t move their cars, they’ve obviously forgotten that they also have an ICE so letting a purely electric car charge wouldn’t hurt them except in their wallet?
    Probably the main reason they bought those cars.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    The most annoying thing is that it’s the Bmw 330e and/or Mercedes 350e drivers who won’t move their cars
    Bit like the towels on sunbeds $h1t thing abroad then ?

A debate started at work the other day 'when does charging at work become a tax benefit.....'

I'm sure they'll get us at some point ha ha

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    I'd welcome an EV but the supporting infrastructure even within cities which all seem to be increasingly evolving to make driving and parking a vehicle of any description impossible is just moving soooo slowly.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

What about deaf people? Drivers should be aware some pedestrians may be heard of hearing and drive accordingly.

As for H2, in some ways safer than petrol. Yes, dangerous in confined spaces but in the open will very rapidly disperse.

Volkswagen E Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What about deaf people? Drivers should be aware some pedestrians may be heard of hearing and drive accordingly.
    Deaf people can’t hear cars anyway and presumably have the sense to look for traffic.

The onus really should be on educating the pedestrian to “stop, look, listen”. There are three parts to it in the Highway Code!

Yes, EV drivers do need to be aware of pedestrians not hearing but shouldn’t be made responsible for other people’s stupidity.

Edit: on reflection, a sound is a good idea but only because of the issues a silent vehicle can cause for blind people, not deaf.

As for H2, in some ways safer than petrol. Yes, dangerous in confined spaces but in the open will very rapidly disperse.
    Hydrogen will never be more than a niche market for many reasons; it really is a dead end.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 9th January 2019 at 10:08.

Deaf people can’t hear cars anyway and presumably have the sense to look for traffic.

The onus really should be on educating the pedestrian to “stop, look, listen”. There are three parts to it in the Highway Code!

Yes, EV drivers do need to be aware of pedestrians not hearing but shouldn’t be made responsible for other people’s stupidity.

Hydrogen will never be more than a niche market for many reasons; it really is a dead end.
    Yes of course deaf people can’t hear so won’t hear stupid drivers using a horn for example.

I was only commenting on the safety of hydrogen but many major manufacturers don’t think hydrogen (or other fuels like ethanol) are a dead end and are researching in this area.

Master
    Yes of course deaf people can’t hear so won’t hear stupid drivers using a horn for example.

I was only commenting on the safety of hydrogen but many major manufacturers don’t think hydrogen (or other fuels like ethanol) are a dead end and are researching in this area.
    The advantages of ease of bulk distribution, i.e. the petrol stations are already there, and the ability to fill up with several 100KWh in a few seconds, i.e. like normal petrol, plus factors like using 'spare' electricity for production, make H2 a very sensible solution but I do wonder if unnatural bias and a lack of knowledge by politicians will ever give it a chance. At the moment all the push is on normal batteries (a tank of H2 is really just another type of battery but with a much faster charging rate and denser storage!) and ignoring the issues and problems with this technology.

Master
    Yes agreed lithium recycling and battery regeneration has come a long way, I currently work with a system heavily reliant on batteries and a good cell withstand the cold without much issue, also have a PHEV which I really rate as a practical car that costs nothing virtually for local driving it’s just on a run when lugging all the weight on a petrol generator is a bit crap

Volkswagen E Golf

If people are really worried about CO2 and the environment they should purchase a smaller car rather than the electric equivalent of their large gas-guzzling 4x4.

The government should crack down on subsidies for hybrids. Companies buy them because of subsidies but only ever run on petrol.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 12th January 2019 at 14:17.

The government should crack down on subsidies for hybrids. Companies buy them because of subsidies but only ever run on petrol.
    They are?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...hammond-budget