closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do with old DVDs and CDs

Grand Master
    it'll probably be this one then. https://www.discogs.com/Fleetwood-Ma...lease/10593938
    i'm reasonably sure a vinyl dealer pal of mine had a sealed two lp version for sale recently at about £20, he's dropping me some lp's to the house in the next few days so if you want i'll ask if he still has it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Ha ha, I can’t imagine HMV sell many fakes.

It’s the current EU pressing, released in 2014 IIRC, but the packaging states 2009 Reprise Records. It is the current version, I saw it again today for sale in Tesco.

I might look out an old Warner Brothers version for comparison. Possibly my favourite album but a vinyl will always struggle to beat my SACD for sound quality, so perhaps an unfair side by side comparison to make.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

If you are looking for the definitive sounding Rumours this is it, 45rpm and mastered by Steve Hoffman:

https://www.discogs.com/Fleetwood-Ma...lease/11980094

Master
    Donate DVDs and CDs to charity shops - they do get decent revenue from them and it keeps them from more unnecessary plastic in landfill.

NEVER throw them in the bin or a skip (unless its the top shelf stuff you might be ashamed of handing over lol)

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    it'll probably be this one then. https://www.discogs.com/Fleetwood-Ma...lease/10593938
    i'm reasonably sure a vinyl dealer pal of mine had a sealed two lp version for sale recently at about £20, he's dropping me some lp's to the house in the next few days so if you want i'll ask if he still has it.
    Many thanks for the offer, it's appreciated, but I think I'm just going to have to suck it up and find the Steve Hoffman version.

I know there are two 45rpm version 2 LP sets, one EU version which isn't supposed to be that great (perhaps the one your dealer pal has), and the US version, pressed at Pallas, mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray which remains the reference quality - apparently better than the SACD for some. I might just bite the bullet and find that otherwise I'll always be left wondering

Sold mine as job lot on eBay.

Many thanks for the offer, it's appreciated, but I think I'm just going to have to suck it up and find the Steve Hoffman version.

I know there are two 45rpm version 2 LP sets, one EU version which isn't supposed to be that great (perhaps the one your dealer pal has), and the US version, pressed at Pallas, mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray which remains the reference quality - apparently better than the SACD for some. I might just bite the bullet and find that otherwise I'll always be left wondering
    Here

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    If you are looking for the definitive sounding Rumours this is it, 45rpm and mastered by Steve Hoffman:

https://www.discogs.com/Fleetwood-Ma...lease/11980094

Here
    Thanks, I did see your link, but thought you were just listing it for reference - I didn’t realise you meant for purchase... It’s always an option, but I’ll hunt out a UK seller first before importing. I’m in no rush to pay for it to come across the pond at an already high price plus duty. One of the EU sellers might be the easiest option.

Master
    I’ve spent a few weeks ripping my CD collection (in FLAC) format onto a SSD which I now have connected to a Raspberry Pi with a Digi+ card that allows me to play them in as good quality as the originals, which have now gone to Music Magpie.
    It’s so much easier now to browse and select music I had forgotten I had.

Good work Alan, I would not have the patience or the desire to get rid of my CD's. In Australia, you need to retain the CD's to legally own the rips, not sure if the law is similar in the UK?

Thanks, I did see your link, but thought you were just listing it for reference - I didn’t realise you meant for purchase... It’s always an option, but I’ll hunt out a UK seller first before importing. I’m in no rush to pay for it to come across the pond at an already high price plus duty. One of the EU sellers might be the easiest option.
    I see what you mean, there are none for sale in the UK. Dont buy the EU version, it is inferior and not worth the cost. If you do decide to take the plunge on this though I can assure it will be worth it.

Master
    I enjoy listening to my cd’s. They sound better than streaming, digital files etc and have no plans to dispose of them. In fact there is something of a resurgence of decent CD players as some cotton on to decent sound quality over just ear bud convenience noise.

Master
    Good work Alan, I would not have the patience or the desire to get rid of my CD's. In Australia, you need to retain the CD's to legally own the rips, not sure if the law is similar in the UK?

It was the same in the UK for a while but since 2015 copying is illegal again in the UK :-(
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...rturns-new-law

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Spotify is a meaningless word to me, I prefer good sound quality so I stick with CDs and good quality traditional hi-fi throughout the house. I still buy CDs and will continue to do so. Downloading etc is second-rate in my view, a habit that’s best avoided.

Everyone values convenience over quality thesedays, sad but true. Try discussing sound quality with most under 30s and their faces glaze over, they don’t get it. However, as most modern music sounds rubbish in any format maybe they can be forgiven.
    I have to agree (not that I'm reluctant to ) but when I can be bothered to play CDs and compare the sound to Apple lossless stuff on my iPod the CD quality is noticeably better. Admittedly my pretty basic system might not be configured with ripped formats in mind.