closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The Kettlebell thread

Master
    I followed the Dry Fighting Weight routine for most of the summer and I enjoyed the double kettlebell work. I'm thinking of doing it again with a heavier bell but need another 24kg. Where do you buy your KBs from? I'm considering Blk Box.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I followed the Dry Fighting Weight routine for most of the summer and I enjoyed the double kettlebell work. I'm thinking of doing it again with a heavier bell but need another 24kg. Where do you buy your KBs from? I'm considering Blk Box.
    I have purchased cast iron kettlebells from https://mirafit.co.uk/ and also https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/ if you hunt around sometimes you can find discount codes online.

Edit - USE CODE: STRONG15 on kettelbells for 15% off on strengthshop

DFW is a great program. The author Geoff Neupert has written a few well respected programs https://chasingstrength.com/products/ I do find his website hard work to read.
    Last edited by Essexman; 1st September 2022 at 13:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    I have purchased cast iron kettlebells from https://mirafit.co.uk/ and also https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/ if you hunt around sometimes you can find discount codes online.

Edit - USE CODE: STRONG15 on kettelbells for 15% off on strengthshop

DFW is a great program. The author Geoff Neupert has written a few well respected programs https://chasingstrength.com/products/ I do find his website hard work to read.
    Thanks for the code, I've ordered one from the Strengthshop.

Craftsman
    Gravity Fitness have some decent ones and often a% off for new customers etc

Decathlon have KBs and they’re pretty good quality for the price.
    Only go up to 24kg though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I haven't used these guys but seems like great value,
    https://www.rechargefitness.co.uk/pr...ource=facebook

Otherwise I like the Wolverson hollow competition kettlbells, and Jordan is good too although the edges of the bottom are very sharply finished, wouldn't want to drop that on anything (not that I have).

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Master
    Bump from the depths.
    I injured my thumb/wrist/arm eary in the year (not with kettlebells) so have been restricted on what I can do.
    Almost back to normal now (who knew tendons take so long to heal eh?), but have to be carful mostly with the pulling action.
    When I couldn’t use any kettlebells I followed this simple program of squat jumps and crawling…

https://youtu.be/8GJxKqa-uQo

Crawling has been a game changer for me. Looks so easy, but it really isn’t.

Master
    That looks like a fun alternative. I've never been convinced by crawling, but maybe I should give it a try.

I finished my second run of the dry fighting weight routine - double KN front squats and presses with 24s - and started a simple routine the end of October.

5 days a week, 5 rounds of

Swings 15
    Pullups 2

Some warmups before and a stretch after. It nice and easy to squeeze in, even on a busy day and I seem to have kept size and conditioning.

Master
    That looks like a fun alternative. I've never been convinced by crawling, but maybe I should give it a try.

I finished my second run of the dry fighting weight routine - double KN front squats and presses with 24s - and started a simple routine the end of October.

5 days a week, 5 rounds of

Swings 15
    Pullups 2

Some warmups before and a stretch after. It nice and easy to squeeze in, even on a busy day and I seem to have kept size and conditioning.
    Dry fighting weight is on my to do list. I also plan to buy a program or two from the author Geoff Neupert.

Yesterday, New Year’s Day get ups.
    Warm up, then 10x10 two hand kettlebell swings on the minute.
    Turkish Get Ups L/R 8,16,20,24,28,32(!),28,24,29,16,8kg
    Hadn’t planned 32kg but 28kg went up with relative ease, so went for it, no issue.
    Happy with that.

Journeyman
    Ah - forgot about this thread...... (!)

Sadly, my last KB swings were about 5 months ago.

Did 3 sets of 50 KB swings, mostly alternating hands with the 50kg KB. All seemed fine. Hard work mind, but finished and then did other stuff. Had done it before.

Later that evening I noticed a small bulge above my belly button.

Bollox - that'll be a umbilical hernia then.

Gggggrrrrrr.

Have been awaiting an operation date for three months now. Oops. Not stopped me doing anything other that swings and sparring though.

Funnily enough I did some turkish get ups yesterday......... Its been a while!

Master
    @JimTheBob ouch, that sounds painful! Best wishes for a full recovery soon.

Today was kettlebells and TRX suspension trainer, with a bit of skipping practice in between squat, push, pull.

5 mins skipping practice
    4x12 double kettlebell squats
    5 mins skipping practice
    4x12 double kettlebell presses
    5 mins skipping practice
    4x12 TRX back rows.

Funny to think that at the start of this program each of these movements was my max 10 reps. Same weights used over the weeks but sets and reps changed for progressive overload.

I’m in. Just ordered a set and some 20mm floor tiles, should hopefully be able to get going end of the week or early next.

Got a set consisting of 6KG/8KG/12KG/16KG/20KG/24KG/28KG/32KG so should be good for a while. Don’t really want to buy the set again to have pairs.

6/8/12 for my wife (hopefully she participates) and I’ll use the rest.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I’m in. Just ordered a set and some 20mm floor tiles, should hopefully be able to get going end of the week or early next.

Got a set consisting of 6KG/8KG/12KG/16KG/20KG/24KG/28KG/32KG so should be good for a while. Don’t really want to buy the set again to have pairs.

6/8/12 for my wife (hopefully she participates) and I’ll use the rest.
    I feel sorry for the delivery driver !

Master
    Last night I signed up for a six week kettlebell class at our local sports centre. Originally ignored this class thinking it would be 30 odd people doing circuits.
    But having met the instructor and chatted to her I’ve found it’s a small class of around five. The instructor lifts heavy and will be teaching Turkish get ups, windmills, bent presses etc, so should be interesting.

Last night I signed up for a six week kettlebell class at our local sports centre. Originally ignored this class thinking it would be 30 odd people doing circuits.
    But having met the instructor and chatted to her I’ve found it’s a small class of around five. The instructor lifts heavy and will be teaching Turkish get ups, windmills, bent presses etc, so should be interesting.
    Nice, that sounds great! Good to dial in the form for those lifts.

I have been focusing on double kettlebell work, which is challenging.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Nice, that sounds great! Good to dial in the form for those lifts.

I have been focusing on double kettlebell work, which is challenging.

I just hope they get the minimum number of people to run the class.

Doubles are very challenging, but I think give great gains overall.

I’m currently doing a sort of 10k challenge. But with less swings per session.
    Today was two hand swings and pull ups.

5x15 swings
    1 pull up
    5x15 swings
    1 pull up
    5x15 swings
    1 pull up
    5x15 swings
    1 pull up
    5x15 swings
    6 pull ups assisted with rubber band.
    2 minutes rest.
    Repeat 3 more times
    300 swings.
    4800 of 10k.
    Note: Only just getting back to pull ups since tendonitis almost a year ago.

Master
    Adding these to the front page for extra workouts and programming info.

Pat Flynn - https://www.chroniclesofstrength.com...10-5-3-method/
    Also by giving an email address you can access his 101 kettlebell workouts PDF.
    If you are a podcast person his weekly podcast is good too. https://www.chroniclesofstrength.com/category/podcast/

Geoff Neupert website - https://chasingstrength.com/
    Again sign up for lots of free programs/workouts - https://chasingstrength.com/get/102-...bell-workouts/

Just delivered. 20mm rubber floor tiles should be here today, too. Then I just need to lug it all up to the loft.

Master
    Just delivered. 20mm rubber floor tiles should be here today, too. Then I just need to lug it all up to the loft.
    Nice, I hope you got a good deal for buying a full set, or some free chalk?

Nice, I hope you got a good deal for buying a full set, or some free chalk?
    Yeah came as a set/package and with a discount but the 6kg wasn’t in the set, bought that as an extra for my wife.

The loft is a bomb site right now so really want these floor tiles to come now so I can get my sanity back.

Master
    Yeah came as a set/package and with a discount but the 6kg wasn’t in the set, bought that as an extra for my wife.

The loft is a bomb site right now so really want these floor tiles to come now so I can get my sanity back.
    Nice, a good brand too.
    I’ve never managed to get my wife to use kettlebells.
    Try not to drop the 32kg in the loft, probably go through to the ground floor.?

The Kettlebell thread

Floor tiles came an hour ago. My god they’re heavier and more awkward than the kettle bells. Might even need my brother to help me! I could get them up there but I’d probably mark every wall on the way up

I don’t think my wife will use a single kettle bell once but they’re there if she ever feels like it, done my bit my offering!

Floor tiles came an hour ago. My god they’re heavier and more awkward than the kettle bells. Might even need my brother to help me! I could get them up there but I’d probably mark every wall on the way up

I don’t think my wife will use a single kettle bell once but they’re there if she ever feels like it, done my bit my offering!
    Is she a largeish lady, there's some heavy weights there?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Is she a largeish lady, there's some heavy weights there?
    Only the 6kg is hers but she’s welcome to use any of them. Even if she got into it I can’t see her ever even using the 12kg.

Master
    Only the 6kg is hers but she’s welcome to use any of them. Even if she got into it I can’t see her ever even using the 12kg.
    She may surprise you. There’s some very strong ladies who hold some world records with kettlebells.
    Also kettlebell juggling is popular with ladies, not always heavy, but amazingly skilled.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcXR3...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

She may surprise you. There’s some very strong ladies who hold some world records with kettlebells.
    Also kettlebell juggling is popular with ladies, not always heavy, but amazingly skilled.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcXR3...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    I was expecting the women on that page to look very different.

Nice, Wolverson are quality, I really like the ones I have. I have the hollow competition bells.

W - will you just be using kettlebells or other equipment as well when you're training?

At the minute just the kettle bells and an indoor bicycle. I wasn’t paying attention when ordering the floor so have just ordered three more squares last night. One to do the main square missing the the others to cut and fill gaps.

My wife has some yoga mats so I think we’ll split the space into three for kettle bells, floor work/stretching and then bicycle. I’ll see if it’s worth getting a bench in a month or two.

Master
    Before splashing out on bench etc, I would suggest a pull up bar and/or TRX suspension trainer (actually don’t by the expensive TRX cheaper non brand versions are available and do the same job).

Glad to see the exercise bike has assumed its rightful role as a clothes airer.

That’s my sweat towel drying off! I’ll move the bike back to where it should be when the other tiles come.

I’ll have a look at what’s possible re pull up bars and trx but being in the loft with no real brick walls I think my options are limited.

A good quality adjustable bench with proper padding would be a good investment but I would also buy a set of dumbbells (the heavier the set the better) which would allow you to do a range of exercises the KBs would not be optimised for.

You could install a chin up bar downstairs - just bear in mind (and this is not meant to be a kick in the nuts) that chins and pullups are really difficult to do properly if you are trying to get in shape

Master
    Adding these to the front page for extra workouts and programming info.

Pat Flynn - https://www.chroniclesofstrength.com...10-5-3-method/
    Also by giving an email address you can access his 101 kettlebell workouts PDF.
    If you are a podcast person his weekly podcast is good too. https://www.chroniclesofstrength.com/category/podcast/
    I'm coming back from a few minor illnesses and injuries and am looking for a new workout. I'd heard of Pat Flynn but never really looked at his writing nor his workouts. I may well be giving the 10-5-3 Method a go next week.

Master
    I'm coming back from a few minor illnesses and injuries and am looking for a new workout. I'd heard of Pat Flynn but never really looked at his writing nor his workouts. I may well be giving the 10-5-3 Method a go next week.
    Sorry to hear that, wishing you a speedy recovery.
    I like Pat Flynn’s approach to programming etc.
    Let us know how it goes, I’ve also saved the 10-5-3 program for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post

You could install a chin up bar downstairs - just bear in mind (and this is not meant to be a kick in the nuts) that chins and pullups are really difficult to do properly if you are trying to get in shape
    Good point. Im using a big green band to aid my pull/chin ups after tendonitis issues.

Try retracting your scapula (pushing shoulder blades down) when you get on the bar - do this for reps as it not only strengthens your rotator cuff area but primes you for doing chins/pullups with proper form. Nothing wrong with also doing the negative/eccentric part of the movement. You either do a full (band assisted) chin/pullup or stand on a box to get you into the top position and then lower yourself slowly - it's a b!tch to do but will help.

Good point. Im using a big green band to aid my pull/chin ups after tendonitis issues.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Try retracting your scapula (pushing shoulder blades down) when you get on the bar - do this for reps as it not only strengthens your rotator cuff area but primes you for doing chins/pullups with proper form. Nothing wrong with also doing the negative/eccentric part of the movement. You either do a full (band assisted) chin/pullup or stand on a box to get you into the top position and then lower yourself slowly - it's a b!tch to do but will help.
    Cheers, yep I need to practice some more. Annoyingly over the last year I’ve lost the pull ups I could do.

Master
    Should have started this class last night, but it was cancelled due to not enough people. Gutted.

Should have started this class last night, but it was cancelled due to not enough people. Gutted.
    Ah shame, sounded like a really good opportunity. Maybe go to the instructor privately for a few sessions?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Ah shame, sounded like a really good opportunity. Maybe go to the instructor privately for a few sessions?

Funny you should say that. Bumped into her last night as I was waiting to go into yoga. Had a nice chat and yes she does 1 to 1 training which she would be happy to customise for kettlebell form etc.

Coming to the end of the 10K swings I've been doing. Got to start looking for another program to follow.

Master
    Finished my 10K swings just before Easter. Switched to Simple and Sinister Swings and Get ups for a break.

@gerrudd - Did you start try that program?

I've just started the Pat Flynn Get Strong program myself https://www.chroniclesofstrength.com...10-5-3-method/

Really like how the loads are waved over the week. But slightly struggling when looking at the weekly progression of reps, 4,5,6,4 (!?), deload week, 5.

Master
    Finished my 10K swings just before Easter. Switched to Simple and Sinister Swings and Get ups for a break.

I've just started the Pat Flynn Get Strong program myself https://www.chroniclesofstrength.com...10-5-3-method/

Really like how the loads are waved over the week. But slightly struggling when looking at the weekly progression of reps, 4,5,6,4 (!?), deload week, 5.
    Looks good that, I'm a week into Geoff Nuperts kettlebell extreme my shoulders are on fire ha ha. It's mind in neutral training but it seems very effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Looks good that, I'm a week into Geoff Nuperts kettlebell extreme my shoulders are on fire ha ha. It's mind in neutral training but it seems very effective
    Geoffs programs are legendary. Keep us dated with how it goes please.
    I purchased his Giant program as it had so many positive reviews.

I’m currently in deload week of the above Pat Flynn Get Strong program. Ironically I’ve slight lower back pain which has meant I’ll have to take some time out to fully heal.

Master

I only did it for a week and then injured my hamstring again (sport not KB related) and had to go back to rehab work. I'm now hopefully recovered. I dabbled with a few things but I think I've settled on the following. Alternating days probably 3 times per week.

Day 1 - some type of progression
    Swings 1,2...9,10
    Pushups 10,9...2,1

Day 2 3-5 rounds of single kettlebell

Press 3/3
    Front squat 5/5
    Row 10/10

I'll warmup before, stretch after, probably parkrun once a week, and a few more days of stretching. If I make it to the gym I'll substitute deadlifts for swings and bench press for push ups.

Master
    Finished Pat Flynn's Get Strong program last week. Really enjoyed running that program.

I've had an issue with grip on my right hand since the tendon issues the other year, so the body weight hang and loaded carries in the warm up have helped. The static hang I started at 30 secs, now at 1 min 10 secs. I was adding 5 to 10 seconds on each week. Farmer carries started with 20+20kg, finished with 28+32kg, again just added more slowly over the weeks. I know both these were part of the warm up and not really to be included in the progression, but that's how I ran it for my self and my body, YMMV.

Now wondering which program to run next, I have Geoff's Gaint, back to simple and sinister for a few weeks, or i may run Get Strong again but try and change the sets/reps to ladders.

Journeyman
    Has any one tried the “Daru Strong, Combat kettlebell” course?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky21 View Post
    Has any one tried the “Daru Strong, Combat kettlebell” course?
    Sorry, not come across that one. Is it in real life, or and online course?

Master
    Started Geoff Nuperts The Giant last week. First session went with a pair of 16kg, 30 mins, 5 rep sets, completed 21 sets. Wasn't really pushing it, went easy as it was the first time running with auto regulation rather than timed sets/OMEM programs. Had a bit of a read online, then retested and found I should have been using bigger kettlebells. So at the weekend started again with double 20kgs, pushed harder this time, total 100 reps. Still high, but I'm sticking with double 20kg for now. Need to start saving for another 24kg.

Started Geoff Nuperts The Giant last week. First session went with a pair of 16kg, 30 mins, 5 rep sets, completed 21 sets. Wasn't really pushing it, went easy as it was the first time running with auto regulation rather than timed sets/OMEM programs. Had a bit of a read online, then retested and found I should have been using bigger kettlebells. So at the weekend started again with double 20kgs, pushed harder this time, total 100 reps. Still high, but I'm sticking with double 20kg for now. Need to start saving for another 24kg.
    That's good! I ran the Giant for a while as well as Kettlebell Strong! From Geoff Neupert. They do work but I found them a bit boring with just one move.....

I like to do a programme wtih all the basic movements, so squat, press (horizontal and vertical), pull (horizontal and vertical), hinge.