closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kettlebell thread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    Big fan of the 10k and have been trying to get 500 swings in every day since we were not allowed to got to the gym.

For those looking, strength shop can get you higher weight kettle bells on the 5th of May.

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/kettlebells.html
    Thank you!! 32kg on order. Used code "DeanStrong" and got 10% off.

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Thank you!! 32kg on order. Used code "DeanStrong" and got 10% off.
    Nice! Result.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post
    500 swings. Ok, I feel like I'm massively undergoing it. Do you do it everyday? I'm very new to weight training and have been doing the following everyday back to back. With maybe 30 seconds shadow boxing in-between each exercise. 5 Turkish getups each side. 30 one handed swings each arm (so 60 swings in total ). 10 cleans each side. 10 press each side.

Is this pathetically underdoing it? I've done this everyday for the last week. I feel like this is a routine I could do everyday and am supplementing it with a couple rounds of shadow boxing each day. And at least 30 mins of hard rounds on a heavy bag once a week.

Am I wasting my time do such comparitavly low reps?
    Sorry missed you comment as the thread started a new page.

Comparison is the thief of joy.

No you are not wasting you time at all. You do what feels right for you.

What you described as your daily workout is very close to Pavels Simple and Sinister program, which is a very successful way of building strength.

Craftsman
    Sorry missed you comment as the thread started a new page.

What you described as your daily workout is very close to Pavels Simple and Sinister program, which is a very successful way of building strength.
    Thanks for the advice and I guess like most things the journey of 1000 miles starts with the first step. I upped my reps yesterday 150 swings 75 each arm 10 clean and press each side. With a further ten cleans and then 10 presses. And 5 TGU each side. Funnily though my fitness tracker told me it was a less intense workout.
    Didn't bloody feel like it though.

Thought I'd be a bit sore today but actuall feel great so I think I could probably keep this up everyday.

Anyway see how I get on doing this.

Thanks for the advice and I guess like most things the journey of 1000 miles starts with the first step. I upped my reps yesterday 150 swings 75 each arm 10 clean and press each side. With a further ten cleans and then 10 presses. And 5 TGU each side. Funnily though my fitness tracker told me it was a less intense workout.
    Didn't bloody feel like it though.

Thought I'd be a bit sore today but actuall feel great so I think I could probably keep this up everyday.

Anyway see how I get on doing this.
    Nice workout! What weight kettlebell are you using for that?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Nice workout! What weight kettlebell are you using for that?

Thanks. I'm just using 10kg as that's the only one I have access to. It's light but I'm enjoying the workouts and feel like doing them everyday. So it's working for me.

I want something that I can do everyday as I know myself that if I start to have rest days I'll stop doing it. Where as now that I've done 8 days on the trot I don't want to break my streak.

Thanks. I'm just using 10kg as that's the only one I have access to. It's light but I'm enjoying the workouts and feel like doing them everyday. So it's working for me.

I want something that I can do everyday as I know myself that if I start to have rest days I'll stop doing it. Where as now that I've done 8 days on the trot I don't want to break my streak.
    Good stuff, keep it up!

That's a great way to put it.

I really cannot be arsed plans, even my usual training doesn't deviate much form 5,3,1 so just knocking out 500 works for me.

Master
    I couldn’t resist trying one session of Dan Johns 10,000 swings challenge.
    So yesterday -

10 two hand swings
    Strength movement
    15 two hand swings
    Strength movement
    25 two hand swings
    Strength movement
    50 two hand swings
    Rest 4 minutes (yeah I’m getting old)
    Repeat 5 times.
    Total 500 swings.

Thought I’d see how it was before committing to full challenge.

It was tough, the x50 two hand swings was the worse part. Since read it can be done 15/35/15/35, so I might try that in the week.

For the strength movement I did pull ups/chin ups. 1/3/5.

I don’t think I could do that five times a week for four weeks. Maybe four times a week, for five weeks.

Think I’ll do another session before making my mind up.

There is a slight update, linked earlier, I tried it yesterday doing sets of 20 with each kettlebell (32,24,20,16,12) the 12 were single arms.

5 sets with each bell, kicked my arse

- - - Updated - - -

There is a slight update, linked earlier, I tried it yesterday doing sets of 20 with each kettlebell (32,24,20,16,12) the 12 were single arms.

Master

Yes I read that in the revisit of the 10k. Seems like another method for me to try out!
    I have 8,12,16 (out on loan),20,24,28 and soon 32kg.

I was thinking
    x20 12kg
    x20 16kg
    x20 20kg
    x20 24kg
    x20 28kg
    Rest, repeat.

Sounds tough! That's a lot of swings. I would find it hard to keep up the intensity that long.

Am gradually working in 32kg get ups, it's a big jump from 24kg, really tough!

Still tempted by a 40kg kettlebell for goblet squats and one arm row as well as swings...

Master
    I have to admit I felt OK after the 500 swings on Sunday morning. But Monday evening I did a yoga class (online) and could really feel it in my legs during most of the standing poses. I wouldn't say it wrecked my yoga, but it wasn't as good as usual. I guess with time and practice I would get used to the increase in swings.

Am gradually working in 32kg get ups, it's a big jump from 24kg, really tough!
    To do the full 10k is a genuine challenge, mentally as much as physical because Christ it is boring by the end of week 2.

Also fuck a 32k get up! I am a real pussy when it comes to them and really never even attempt more than a 12. Fair play if you can make that jump

To do the full 10k is a genuine challenge, mentally as much as physical because Christ it is boring by the end of week 2.

Also fuck a 32k get up! I am a real pussy when it comes to them and really never even attempt more than a 12. Fair play if you can make that jump
    Yes I bet, don't think I could handle that...

Ah heavy get ups are great. I have a tenuous aim of a 40kg get up, would be good to do a half bodyweight one.

Craftsman
    How long does it take you to do 500 swings?
    I'm currently doing 150 swings (75 each side. )
    25 cleans each side
    25 preses each side
    10 goblet squats.
    10 TGU (5 each side. )
    With some shadow boxing to stay lose. And it takes me roughly 15-20 minutes.

Do you do pushups or other chest exercises?

Master
    Week 6 of the program and I’m feeling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Week 6 is when the programme peaks! Previously I was doing a load of other stuff after but this is enough. Still doesn't require anywhere near the rest periods recommended so I'm probably not going heavy enough.

Next week is the deload week then the following one is the test one.

Apparently there will be a new article about reprogramming another cycle.

I'm going to switch from goblet squats to asymmetric double kettlebell front squats and stack two kettlebells for one arm kettlebell rows.

Forgive me if I am re-stating here, but I have such a busy schedule at the moment I really don't have time to trawl through the numerous posts on this thread.

I have just finished binge-watching Line of Duty. Yes, all 5 series. The scam that incriminated Ted Hastings in series 5 (a supposed promise to return money that he unwisely invested and which cost him his marriage) was called "The Kettle Bell Project".

I'm glad I have that off my chest. This is the closest I am going to come to physical exercise in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Forgive me if I am re-stating here, but I have such a busy schedule at the moment I really don't have time to trawl through the numerous posts on this thread.

I have just finished binge-watching Line of Duty. Yes, all 5 series. The scam that incriminated Ted Hastings in series 5 (a supposed promise to return money that he unwisely invested and which cost him his marriage) was called "The Kettle Bell Project".

I'm glad I have that off my chest. This is the closest I am going to come to physical exercise in the near future.
    Yes that mystified me too. Also it did not seem feasible that someone so competent and intelligent would be bamboozled by it.

Bamboozle is a great word.

Master
    How long does it take you to do 500 swings?
    I'm currently doing 150 swings (75 each side. )
    25 cleans each side
    25 preses each side
    10 goblet squats.
    10 TGU (5 each side. )
    With some shadow boxing to stay lose. And it takes me roughly 15-20 minutes.

Do you do pushups or other chest exercises?
    My 500 swings tester session last Sunday took me 45 minutes. That was with pull ups in between each set of reps as per Dan Johns 10K challenge. I was taking 4 minutes rest in between each cluster of reps.

Master
    My 500 swings tester session last Sunday took me 45 minutes. That was with pull ups in between each set of reps as per Dan Johns 10K challenge. I was taking 4 minutes rest in between each cluster of reps.
    I did it in 2015 so my memory is a bit vague but 45 minutes sounds about right. Mine varied a bit but this was a common pattern. I switched out the second exercise each day, so Day 1 Press, day 2 GS, Day 3 pullups. Some days I didn't have the energy to do 5 rounds so would do two and half or three hence I completed it in 24 sessions rather than 20.

5 Rounds of

Swings 15
    Press 1
    Swings 35
    Press 2
    Swings 15
    Press 3
    Swings 35

Master
    Change of plan today, combination of wet weather and I have a 1.5 hour charity yoga class to attend tomorrow so need to be fresh for that.
    So light mobility kettlebells workout based on Pavel Tsatsouline simple and sinister program.
    Warm up.
    X10 two hand swings on the minute every minute.
    Followed by Turkish Get ups.
    X2 10kg
    X4 16kg
    X2 10kg (bottoms up)

Master

Part of the program is to do a test every month or two...….
    Part 1 is clean an press the next weight up as many times as possible to failure. Seeing as I was at the end of the first part of the program I knew this should be ok, and managed 5 left and 5 almost 6 right. Which confirms it’s time to move up a weight.

Part 2 was the snatch test. As many as possible in 10 minutes. This should come with a warning, DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT PRACTICE. This was much harder than I thought. Using a 16kg KB (one below pressing weight) I managed 128 total. That was 6 snatches every 30 seconds alternate left and right, then the last minute 10 and 10. At around 7 minutes I noticed the cardio side was really hard work, out of breath. Keeping good form was also difficult. This snatch test took its toll over the next few of days, terrible muscle soreness. I won’t be doing that every month.
    The above was from mid January. Repeated the same test today.

Part 1: clean and press using 28kg. Left x2, Right x2 ( almost 3).

Part 2: Snatch test using 16kg managed 174 reps in 10 minutes.

Proves the progressive program works.

Proves I’m daft, told myself I wouldn’t do this test again, gonna ache tomorrow.

Impressive, good to see the progress! I don't have a 28, so hard to shift the 32...

The snatch test sounds seriously hard though. How much practise did you do on technique? I can see the technique really deteriorating over that many reps. Doing 100 reps with the 24kg one over 5 minutes or whatever the test is, sounds impossible.

Master
    Impressive, good to see the progress! I don't have a 28, so hard to shift the 32...

The snatch test sounds seriously hard though. How much practise did you do on technique? I can see the technique really deteriorating over that many reps. Doing 100 reps with the 24kg one over 5 minutes or whatever the test is, sounds impossible.
    Cheers, lifting the 32 wasn't fun, a little bit scary going up a weight really. But then I thought the same going to 24, so I guess it's all relative.

Yeah the snatch test is evil. With the Rite of Passage program you practice snatch once a week after lifting, and yes you can only go so many reps until your form drops off, or the other method is to take it slow, pace yourself. I can get more reps in at first because being fresh, so I went left and right 12, 10, 8,8,8,8,8,8,8,9.

The actual secret service test is 200 in 10 minutes using a 24kg for men, 16kg for females. Impossible for me, just using the test to compare to myself and see progress. Might try 5 minutes next week. I think I might be able to do 100 in 5 minutes. I found at 6 , 7 minutes the cardio really kicked in hard.

Craftsman

Any good for old people?

Hello all, I need to read through this thread and I apologise for being a bit lazy here; is this form of exercise suitable for a 50 plus year old? I fancy giving this a try if it isn't going to kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    Hello all, I need to read through this thread and I apologise for being a bit lazy here; is this form of exercise suitable for a 50 plus year old? I fancy giving this a try if it isn't going to kill me.
    I'm no expert but as with all exercise as long and you warm up and use proper form, plus increase weights cautiously, you'll be fine!

Craftsman
    I'm no expert but as with all exercise as long and you warm up and use proper form, plus increase weights cautiously, you'll be fine!

Good advice! I think I will get those Argos weights and see how I get on, starting with something around 10Kg.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    I'm near 51 and kettlebells have not killed me (yet!). As mindforge mentioned, start easy, slow and steady, don't expect to me doing movements you see ultrafit chaps on Instagram doing.

I would recommend Beginners Kettlebell Exercises https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/begi...with-workouts/

Edit - also useful - https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/kettlebell-store/
    Last edited by Essexman; 4th May 2020 at 13:16.

Master
    I forgot, my 32kg arrived last weekend, near killed the poor UPS guy!

Not 100% happy with it, as there are some high spots, rough bits on the handle. I'm in engineering, so I'll take a file to them. But compared to my 28kg made by Mira fit the finish is not so nice. The handle on the 28kg is smooth.

I forgot, my 32kg arrived last weekend, near killed the poor UPS guy!

Not 100% happy with it, as there are some high spots, rough bits on the handle. I'm in engineering, so I'll take a file to them. But compared to my 28kg made by Mira fit the finish is not so nice. The handle on the 28kg is smooth.
    Where did you get it from? My 32kg from Bodyrip has a smooth steel handle as opposed to my other competition kettlebells from Powerx which have a granulated finish that I prefer as it's more grippy. The Gorilla ones look best but very expensive so I have avoided, probably a false economy. I'm looking at the Blk Box ones for the 40kg one.

Master
    Where did you get it from? My 32kg from Bodyrip has a smooth steel handle as opposed to my other competition kettlebells from Powerx which have a granulated finish that I prefer as it's more grippy. The Gorilla ones look best but very expensive so I have avoided, probably a false economy. I'm looking at the Blk Box ones for the 40kg one.
    Mine are the traditional cast iron bells. It was from strengthshop.co.uk. So I expect a textured finish as it's cast, but the rough bits are a lack of finishing.

Mine are the traditional cast iron bells. It was from strengthshop.co.uk. So I expect a textured finish as it's cast, but the rough bits are a lack of finishing.
    Ah right. I prefer the competition ones as consistent size so you don't have to adjust technique to the shifting centre of balance. But cast iron better I agree!

Master
    Ah right. I prefer the competition ones as consistent size so you don't have to adjust technique to the shifting centre of balance. But cast iron better I agree!
    What size comp bell were you after? Check through, they have a few in stock, some ex demo.

https://wolverson-fitness.co.uk/collections/kettlebells

What size comp bell were you after? Check through, they have a few in stock, some ex demo.

https://wolverson-fitness.co.uk/collections/kettlebells
    Thanks, 40kg. Thinking I will manage from time being with double kettlebells.

I am loving this thread, but i presume like everyone my issue is getting some kettlebells. I want to get 16 and 20kg ones. It would be great if anyone comes across somweher that has them in stock to let us know.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    I am loving this thread, but i presume like everyone my issue is getting some kettlebells. I want to get 16 and 20kg ones. It would be great if anyone comes across somweher that has them in stock to let us know.
    Yes buying kettlebells right now is an issue.
    I would suggest signing up to any suppliers email lists, and act quick when there’s stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Try BLK Box, they seem to have stock. I'm just going to use unevenly matched double kettlebells and switch sides! Supposed to be benefits of doing that anyway.

Master
    Week 7 done.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Week 7 done.

For a deload week, it was surprisingly hard! Or maybe I'm just knackered. Will you test next week with the same weights you started with? I'm going to test with the next ones up to see if I can move the weights up for the next cycle.

Master
    For a deload week, it was surprisingly hard! Or maybe I'm just knackered. Will you test next week with the same weights you started with? I'm going to test with the next ones up to see if I can move the weights up for the next cycle.
    I found the same, Monday was especially tough. I've felt sore all week. I think I'm knackered too. I'm doing the same as you, Next kettlebell up for each test and see how many reps I can get.

I found the same, Monday was especially tough. I've felt sore all week. I think I'm knackered too. I'm doing the same as you, Next kettlebell up for each test and see how many reps I can get.
    Nice. Let me know you get on. I'm having to be creative by doubling up the 24kg and 16kg as I don't have a 36 or 40....

Master
    I'm near 51 and kettlebells have not killed me (yet!). As mindforge mentioned, start easy, slow and steady, don't expect to me doing movements you see ultrafit chaps on Instagram doing.

I would recommend Beginners Kettlebell Exercises https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/begi...with-workouts/

Edit - also useful - https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/kettlebell-store/
    I knew I shouldn't have tempted fate. 500 swings and Turkish get ups Saturday, started to get a slight click in my right shoulder in the last two sets. No pain, but now tender. So no kettlebells yesterday, will rest it for a few days.
    Kind of ironic as I was pressing bells upwards with my shoulders for months and had no issues, change of routine seems to have maybe done something.

Slight click doesn't sound too worrying, I click and crunch all over!

Did double front kettlebell squats yesterday with the 32kg on one side and 24kg on the other. Amazed how much my shoulders ache now, presumably just from the effort of keeping the 32kg racked. Might do a cycle of doing the double squats with the 24kg and 16kg before moving up, doesn't look like will be going back to the gym any time soon.

Master
    Slight click doesn't sound too worrying, I click and crunch all over!

Did double front kettlebell squats yesterday with the 32kg on one side and 24kg on the other. Amazed how much my shoulders ache now, presumably just from the effort of keeping the 32kg racked. Might do a cycle of doing the double squats with the 24kg and 16kg before moving up, doesn't look like will be going back to the gym any time soon.
    Oh the click didn't worry me, the tenderness has me slightly worried. I'll rest this week, just light yoga, no bells.

That's a lot of kg racked, I used to find my biceps ached after a lots of movements with the KBs racked.

Interesting, made in UK Kettlebells - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kettlebel...DzU368ugBryITQ

Cast in Norfolk, by East Coast Casting it appears.

Master
    The rack is the killer and the reason I don't enjoy double KB squats. I do find that a goblet squat (hands in front on chest) is easier than a front squat style rack (hands by shoulders). I did reps with two 20s yesterday and have used 20/24 in the past. 32/24 sounds painful. I know my legs could take it but my shoulder wouldn't thank me.

Oh the click didn't worry me, the tenderness has me slightly worried. I'll rest this week, just light yoga, no bells.

That's a lot of kg racked, I used to find my biceps ached after a lots of movements with the KBs racked.

Interesting, made in UK Kettlebells - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kettlebel...DzU368ugBryITQ

Cast in Norfolk, by East Coast Casting it appears.
    Nice, good option if you're local. I'm guessing from your username you're not and I'm in London!

The rack is the killer and the reason I don't enjoy double KB squats. I do find that a goblet squat (hands in front on chest) is easier than a front squat style rack (hands by shoulders). I did reps with two 20s yesterday and have used 20/24 in the past. 32/24 sounds painful. I know my legs could take it but my shoulder wouldn't thank me.
    Yup, goblet squat is much easier. I'm trying to avoid buying the 40kg though until I can use it for get ups!

Master
    Nice, good option if you're local. I'm guessing from your username you're not and I'm in London!
    I was actually born in the East end, but don’t tell anyone, I might have to change my user name?
    Yes now in Essex.
    The Norfolk foundry will deliver at extra cost.