closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 398

Thread: The Kettlebell thread

  1. #101
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,437
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    I am so fed up of this.

    Scheduled to finish next Thursday for the full 15k.

    I am so fed up of this, easy lost over half a stone on the scales, but certainly looks like a lot more on the gut. Feel a lot better, generally a lot stronger and the times it's taken to do my 500 has dropped quite a lot.

    It is however bloody boring and the next few sessions are beyond a chore. I can't wait to get back to the gym and do something different. The additional 5k seem to be a lot tougher mentally then physically at this point as even though I see the benefits I am struggling to motivate myself to get them done due to boredom of training on my own.
    Well you've come this far, might as well finish it! Quite a challenge though.

  2. #102
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    I am so fed up of this.

    Scheduled to finish next Thursday for the full 15k.

    I am so fed up of this, easy lost over half a stone on the scales, but certainly looks like a lot more on the gut. Feel a lot better, generally a lot stronger and the times it's taken to do my 500 has dropped quite a lot.

    It is however bloody boring and the next few sessions are beyond a chore. I can't wait to get back to the gym and do something different. The additional 5k seem to be a lot tougher mentally then physically at this point as even though I see the benefits I am struggling to motivate myself to get them done due to boredom of training on my own.
    Congratulations on getting to where you are! That's awesome! You are nearly there.

    Do you split the 500 swings with any other exercise moves? Push ups, pull ups, squats?

  3. #103
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    My starter set is hopefully turning up this week. I damaged my hand at the beginning of the year so thought I better wait till it was better. Anyway, nothing heavy - set only goes up to 8kg but that should be fine to start with and the lighter ones will be good for the kids.

    Also, there's plenty on this thread to keep me going - I've been dipping into it while I've waited for my hand to heal.
    What did you do to your hand?

    If you go to the first page in this thread there's a link for where to start out that you might find useful.
    Good to start light and get the correct form before moving up in weight. That is the thing with KB, form first. There is some technique to learn with each movement, practice makes perfect.

    I use a lighter KB for what's called "bottoms up" exercises. This being holding the KB upside down, improves grip and can be really hard work even with a light KB. Keeping the KB stable takes a lot of concentration and must work more muscles than you think.

    An example here of bottoms up shoulder press https://instagram.com/p/Btt_U8shrud/

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Congratulations on getting to where you are! That's awesome! You are nearly there.

    Do you split the 500 swings with any other exercise moves? Push ups, pull ups, squats?
    Squats and presses, so 1/2/3 goblet squats between the 10/15/25/50 sets with nothing after the 50. And presses same but alternate arms.
    Nowhere to do pull ups at my house.

    Almost 2 inches off my waist, no change to diet at all just the swings

  5. #105
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    What did you do to your hand?

    If you go to the first page in this thread there's a link for where to start out that you might find useful.
    Good to start light and get the correct form before moving up in weight. That is the thing with KB, form first. There is some technique to learn with each movement, practice makes perfect.

    I use a lighter KB for what's called "bottoms up" exercises. This being holding the KB upside down, improves grip and can be really hard work even with a light KB. Keeping the KB stable takes a lot of concentration and must work more muscles than you think.

    An example here of bottoms up shoulder press https://instagram.com/p/Btt_U8shrud/
    Thanks - I've kept an eye on this thread but stayed away from doing anything more until my hand was better. I fractured my radius and they thought I'd fractured the scaphoid as well, but that was an old injury that showed up on the X-Ray. Basically tripped backwards and landed full on my wrist.

    Didn't take too long to be out of splints and casts but had to do physio stuff to get some strength and movement back - still not 100% to be honest.

    But, I now feel ready and able to start...

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    Squats and presses, so 1/2/3 goblet squats between the 10/15/25/50 sets with nothing after the 50. And presses same but alternate arms.
    Nowhere to do pull ups at my house.

    Almost 2 inches off my waist, no change to diet at all just the swings
    Well I did it, finished it last Thursday.

    Begining to wish I had taken proper measurements of everything to be honest. Couple of inches of the waist and a few holes in the belt. The rest seems to have generally firmed up, legs arms etc.

    Got down the gym last night, eased back into the deadlift and added 1 rep to my previous1 rep max of 205k.

    Realistically there may well be another in there. Back again tomorrow to see just how high I can take the numbers, hopefully 225k.

    Will I do I again, probably not, the 15k was just a little to much for me to on my own I was struggling to maintain focus. 10k definitely. Maybe even once every 6 months when I reset my 531 totals.

  7. #107
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    Well I did it, finished it last Thursday.

    Begining to wish I had taken proper measurements of everything to be honest. Couple of inches of the waist and a few holes in the belt. The rest seems to have generally firmed up, legs arms etc.

    Got down the gym last night, eased back into the deadlift and added 1 rep to my previous1 rep max of 205k.

    Realistically there may well be another in there. Back again tomorrow to see just how high I can take the numbers, hopefully 225k.

    Will I do I again, probably not, the 15k was just a little to much for me to on my own I was struggling to maintain focus. 10k definitely. Maybe even once every 6 months when I reset my 531 totals.
    Well done that man!

  8. #108
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,437
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    Well I did it, finished it last Thursday.

    Begining to wish I had taken proper measurements of everything to be honest. Couple of inches of the waist and a few holes in the belt. The rest seems to have generally firmed up, legs arms etc.

    Got down the gym last night, eased back into the deadlift and added 1 rep to my previous1 rep max of 205k.

    Realistically there may well be another in there. Back again tomorrow to see just how high I can take the numbers, hopefully 225k.

    Will I do I again, probably not, the 15k was just a little to much for me to on my own I was struggling to maintain focus. 10k definitely. Maybe even once every 6 months when I reset my 531 totals.
    205kg? Impressive! After how long off deadlifts? I have noticed the speed of deadlifts improving since starting swings.

    I am managing 10 sets of 10 one handed swings at 32kg now and yesterday did my first 32kg get up. Has the benefit of making the 24kg easy!

  9. #109

    Not what you want to hear I should imagine but...

    For an older excersiser like me (57) I'm always concerned about the impact that swinging heavy stuff has on my connective tissue, not so elastic as I used to be hence I don't use them. Force = Mass x Acceleration after all, much safer on the tendons and joints to move a traditional weight in a controlled manner IMHO

  10. #110
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Bicester, oxfordshire
    Posts
    119
    I treat a lot of injuries from kettle bell workouts. In my opinion they are ok if you are young, but if over the age of 40, approach with caution

  11. #111
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by Thejoker View Post
    I treat a lot of injuries from kettle bell workouts. In my opinion they are ok if you are young, but if over the age of 40, approach with caution
    Tell us more, please! What are the most common problems? How were they caused, what action/exercise were they doing when the injury was caused?

  12. #112
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Bicester, oxfordshire
    Posts
    119
    lower back issues mainly. As Heuerfan says, the body less forgiving as we get older. I don't know which specific exercises as they usually report having done a kettle bell class/session and pain coming either next day, or progressively building up after numerous sessions.

  13. #113
    Not that I am a super fan or anything but I would take a very big bet that all those injury's will be down to either poor form or ego lifting (refusing to start small)

    I am not saying you can't get hurt or trying to say you don't know what your doing or anything like that in anyway shape or form just that its not always the weights fault.

  14. #114
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Bicester, oxfordshire
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    Not that I am a super fan or anything but I would take a very big bet that all those injury's will be down to either poor form or ego lifting (refusing to start small)

    I am not saying you can't get hurt or trying to say you don't know what your doing or anything like that in anyway shape or form just that its not always the weights fault.
    i am sure to some degree that is the case. Also, in classes, people get carried away and don't pay attention to their bodies

  15. #115
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by Thejoker View Post
    i am sure to some degree that is the case. Also, in classes, people get carried away and don't pay attention to their bodies
    From what Iíve seen the sports centre I use, nothing worse than a competitive class environment for people to push themselves and risk getting hurt. Iíve seen one lad throw up during his first spin class (never came back), and a lady pass out (only for a short while, she was fine) during spin class. Both admitted to pushing themselves more than they ever had before.

    But nothing compares to the competitiveness of middle aged ladies in a yoga class!

    Slow and steady is the way with kettlebells, you canít just jump in and go mad. Hence why in the first post I link to a good beginners guide.

  16. #116
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    20,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    From what I’ve seen the sports centre I use, nothing worse than a competitive class environment for people to push themselves and risk getting hurt. I’ve seen one lad throw up during his first spin class (never came back), and a lady pass out (only for a short while, she was fine) during spin class. Both admitted to pushing themselves more than they ever had before.

    But nothing compares to the competitiveness of middle aged ladies in a yoga class!

    Slow and steady is the way with kettlebells, you can’t just jump in and go mad. Hence why in the first post I link to a good beginners guide.
    Gotta smile at these comments, it's absolutely true. I don`t do classes, I go to the gym and do my own thing. I push myself hard when I`m fit, if I`m not so fit I take it easy and know when to ease off. I`ve watched folks in classes and seen how they get carried away; spinning always amuses me, awful loud music and usually some silly bitch yelling 'encouragement'. It may suit some folks but sure as hell doesn`t suit me.

    Running was the same, in a group it always became competitive for some, others had the sense to ease off and save it for race day. Throwing up during/after exercise isn`t good, it shouldn't be happening.

    My wife's just turned 60 and returned to yoga classes after spinal surgery last autumn. She's a fit old bird for her age and she can do most stuff in the classes, but some of the things are beyond her now and she has the sense to accept it!

    Might give kettlebells a try myself, but I`ll start off steady if I do.

  17. #117
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Gotta smile at these comments, it's absolutely true. I don`t do classes, I go to the gym and do my own thing. I push myself hard when I`m fit, if I`m not so fit I take it easy and know when to ease off. I`ve watched folks in classes and seen how they get carried away; spinning always amuses me, awful loud music and usually some silly bitch yelling 'encouragement'. It may suit some folks but sure as hell doesn`t suit me.

    Running was the same, in a group it always became competitive for some, others had the sense to ease off and save it for race day. Throwing up during/after exercise isn`t good, it shouldn't be happening.

    My wife's just turned 60 and returned to yoga classes after spinal surgery last autumn. She's a fit old bird for her age and she can do most stuff in the classes, but some of the things are beyond her now and she has the sense to accept it!

    Might give kettlebells a try myself, but I`ll start off steady if I do.
    I hope your wife finds some comfort in taking yoga back up after her surgery. One of my teachers has suffered back problems for years, in fact that's how he came to find yoga. After years of pain killers and doctors telling him there's nothing to help, he is pain free and pain killer free with daily yoga practice.

    Yoga is not a rest that's for sure. I only started last summer, I turn 50 next month. Wish I'd found it 20 years ago. Everyone who does yoga says similar, can't do without it once you start. In yoga there is always a progression and regression for the pose, even if it means using block or a strap when you can't reach as far as you would like to or used to be able to. Again in class people are reluctant to use a block or strap and would rather risk injury via poor form that be seen to take the easier option, even after being advised by the teacher! Not me, even sitting crossed legged I'm on a block!

    Yes take it easy when you start, slow and steady wins the race.

  18. #118
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    886
    The Turkish Get Up (TGU).

    I was wasn't sure about the TGU when I started doing them, it's very odd. It just seemed such a strange exercise and I couldn't understand why so many people raved on about it.

    Some months later, now I find I'm one of those raving on about it.

    In short it combines strength and mobility. There's a lot to learn to get the form correct, but it really is worth the time and effort.

    I started out with a bottle of water for weight, this was to learn the movements with little weight. I did 5 left and 5 right in a session for approx six sessions before moving onto using a Kettle Bell.

    I've since been surprised how quickly my strength has grown from the start. Gone from water bottle to 12kg, 16kg, 20kg and need to buy a 24kg.

    I've been following a version of the simple and sinister program. The basics are, warm up, 100 swings, rest, followed by 10 TGU (5 left and 5 right).

    Here's a tutorial I followed on Instagram, it's in 3 parts.


    https://www.instagram.com/tv/BuziDjS...=1bjp72uqf3bg3


    https://www.instagram.com/tv/BuzihZZ...=1krnqie7kw29g


    https://www.instagram.com/tv/BuzjAki...=1s8xci1h39ige


    Another guide by Greg at kettlebellworksouts

    https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/7-st...urkish-get-up/

  19. #119
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,437
    Nice glad to hear it's working out for you. After years of training with barbells and weights, I'm also very impressed with the Turkish getup and with the Simple and Sinister programme. I am now doing get ups comfortably with the 24kg and throwing in the odd rep with the 32kg. Initially humbling, it's gratifying to see progress in it and there is genuine carry over to functional activities, I definitely feel stronger lifting my children up and rolling around with them from floor to standing!

  20. #120
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Nice glad to hear it's working out for you. After years of training with barbells and weights, I'm also very impressed with the Turkish getup and with the Simple and Sinister programme. I am now doing get ups comfortably with the 24kg and throwing in the odd rep with the 32kg. Initially humbling, it's gratifying to see progress in it and there is genuine carry over to functional activities, I definitely feel stronger lifting my children up and rolling around with them from floor to standing!
    So wait, what?, you do TGU lifting your children? That's impressive !!

  21. #121
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    So wait, what?, you do TGU lifting your children? That's impressive !!
    Ha! Not quite, not overhead, but otherwise it's the same movement, right?!

  22. #122
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Ha! Not quite, not overhead, but otherwise it's the same movement, right?!
    Oddly this popped into my IG feed today

    https://www.instagram.com/p/BxYCd57l...d=hn3vl3cmqxlf

  23. #123
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    886
    Revisited the kettlebell fitness test by Greg Brookes today.

    ďTwo Handed Swing ◊ 20 reps
    Push Ups ◊ 10 reps (10 - 1)
    Repeat 10 times

    ďA classic kettlebell challenge that will increase both your strength and cardio all in under 15 minutes. Perform the exercises one after the other for 10 rounds reducing only the Push Ups by 1 rep each round. Your goal is under 10 minutes ď.

    So thatís 200 KB swings and 55 push ups.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn5iwwaA...=1u0oimkjq9wmz

    Recap on previous tests:
    7/1/19 - 13 min 26 sec
    10/2/19 - 10 min 52 sec

    Today 19/5/19 - 8 min 17sec !

    This was using a 16kg KB.
    Might repeat next week with 20kg KB to see the difference.

  24. #124
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Oddly this popped into my IG feed today

    https://www.instagram.com/p/BxYCd57l...d=hn3vl3cmqxlf
    Ha yes I have seen these types of video before, really not how I do it! More akin to a kettlebell rack position with children I suppose.

  25. #125
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    886
    Many of my kettlebell workouts are done when I get home from work. I make a habit of asking my oldest daughter ďwanna do a workout ?Ē, normally the reply is ďbusy!Ē or ďNahĒ.
    Yesterday Iím happy to say she said ďyeah, ok, but not too hard !Ē

    So I had to quickly think of what we could do and came up with the following circuit program.

    10 mins light cardio warm up.

    1: Goblin squat to two hand shoulder press. https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/kett...-goblet-squat/
    2: Around the world (Slingshot). https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/why-...-plus-workout/
    3: Figure of 8 around the legs. https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercis...ebell-figure-8
    4: Head halo. https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/kettlebell-halo/
    5: Farmers carry/walk. https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/kett...gth-exercises/

    On some of the links youíll need to scroll down a bit to find the named exercise.

    Each exercise Performed 30 seconds with 15 seconds rest between exercises. 1 min rest between sets.
    We did 3 sets, could have done 4, but didnít want to push her too much.

    In retrospect, the above could be called ďlegs and shouldersĒ workout. Could add reverse lunges in somewhere for more leg work, or some dead lifts.

    The biggest surprise for me was the farmers walk, I never usually do these. I used my two heaviest bells, 20kg and 24kg, didnít feel too hard to lift, but had to really concentrate walking around the garden with them.

  26. #126
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,437
    How's everyone doing with their kettlebells? I have been doing quite a bit of upside down kettlebell work for stability, including presses at various angles and holds, it's really tough!

  27. #127
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    How's everyone doing with their kettlebells? I have been doing quite a bit of upside down kettlebell work for stability, including presses at various angles and holds, it's really tough!
    Bottoms up, they completely change every movement! Great fun and very challenging.

    Iíve had a few weeks off due to falling of my mountain bike and bashing my leg and back.

    Now getting back into training but taking it slowly.

    Today was 10x10 two hand swings followed by 5 Turkish Get Ups left and right all with 16kg.

  28. #128
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Bottoms up, they completely change every movement! Great fun and very challenging.

    Iíve had a few weeks off due to falling of my mountain bike and bashing my leg and back.

    Now getting back into training but taking it slowly.

    Today was 10x10 two hand swings followed by 5 Turkish Get Ups left and right all with 16kg.
    Nice. I'm still doing one handed swings with the 32kg, ten sets of ten and five sets of get ups on each side with the 24kg. Managed with the 32kg but it's a bit much having that overhead at the moment!

  29. #129
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Nice. I'm still doing one handed swings with the 32kg, ten sets of ten and five sets of get ups on each side with the 24kg. Managed with the 32kg but it's a bit much having that overhead at the moment!
    Nice work, Iíve found it hard to progress on the TGU in 8kg jumps, so went from 16-20-24kg.

    Yesterdayís TGUs as using a lighter than normal KB I paused at each stage with a static hold for a count of five. Iíve found this helps build strength.

  30. #130
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    1,441
    I've been mainly doing KB work since 2008 with the occasional 6 month break where I join a gym to use barbells. Stared with Pavel's Program Minimum and then progressed to ROP. Attended a few KB course with CrossFit London. Follow Simple and Sinister to the simple stage. Most of my training since then has been based on Dan John's writings. Back in the gym now but one night a week still do a kettlebell and pushup combo.

  31. #131
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Nice work, Iíve found it hard to progress on the TGU in 8kg jumps, so went from 16-20-24kg.

    Yesterdayís TGUs as using a lighter than normal KB I paused at each stage with a static hold for a count of five. Iíve found this helps build strength.
    It also helps doing a few presses at each stage I find. For a real challenge do a bottoms up Turkish get up!

  32. #132
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,437
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I've been mainly doing KB work since 2008 with the occasional 6 month break where I join a gym to use barbells. Stared with Pavel's Program Minimum and then progressed to ROP. Attended a few KB course with CrossFit London. Follow Simple and Sinister to the simple stage. Most of my training since then has been based on Dan John's writings. Back in the gym now but one night a week still do a kettlebell and pushup combo.
    Nice. I'm aiming for Simple too, but slowly as only follow the programme a couple of times a week as otherwise I do squats, deadlifts and presses.

  33. #133
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    3,171
    Needed bigger kettlebells which I use alongside trx straps for a strength/cardio workout researched a bit and decided to treat myself to Wolverson fitness mk2 competition bells my decathalon cheap ones have served me well but these new ones are a joy to use and I love them being the same size for all weights. Anyone looking to upgrade give them a look Iíve been very impressed.

    My favourite Workout at the moment is
    9 minute warm up runners stretch, halos, snatches, high knees on the spot, repeat each twice 1 minutes rest whilst you set straps etc.

    45 seconds goblet squats
    20 seconds rest
    45 second row on trx (straps short)
    20 secs rest
    45 seconds KB swings
    20 rest
    45 seconds trx pressups (straps long j

    Repeat 5 times adjust straps in 20 sec rest period, aim for 25 reps per exercise generally a 24kg is just right for me to complete it you may want heavier or lighter depending. Takes about 30 minutes gets the heart going good style .

  34. #134
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,437
    I like the competition Kettlebells too as it's more consistent having them all the same size, although the traditionally sized ones are good for bottoms up work.

  35. #135
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    3,171
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I like the competition Kettlebells too as it's more consistent having them all the same size, although the traditionally sized ones are good for bottoms up work.
    Yes Iíd agree with that although the way these mk2 ones are weighted hollowed out and more metal added for more weight theyíre pretty well balanced bottoms up which wasnít always the case apparently, no experience of other makes just going off what Iíd read.

  36. #136
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I've been mainly doing KB work since 2008 with the occasional 6 month break where I join a gym to use barbells. Stared with Pavel's Program Minimum and then progressed to ROP. Attended a few KB course with CrossFit London. Follow Simple and Sinister to the simple stage. Most of my training since then has been based on Dan John's writings. Back in the gym now but one night a week still do a kettlebell and pushup combo.
    Lots of questions if you donít mind.
    Did you find the KB course worth while? What did they teach?
    How often (days a week) were you practicing S&S to progress ?

  37. #137
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Did you find the KB course worth while? What did they teach?
    I thought it was useful. I was just a half day course, not part of a certification. It helped me with my technique a little

    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    How often (days a week) were you practicing S&S to progress ?
    Around 5 days a week. I recorded all my workouts in a blog, if you want to have a look.

    https://fit2fence.blogspot.com/searc...%26%20Sinister

  38. #138
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,437
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I thought it was useful. I was just a half day course, not part of a certification. It helped me with my technique a little



    Around 5 days a week. I recorded all my workouts in a blog, if you want to have a look.

    https://fit2fence.blogspot.com/searc...%26%20Sinister
    I'd be interested in taking a look but couldn't get the link to work? I'm finding the jump between 24 and 32 the hardest with get ups, one handed swings with the 32 are easy now. Perhaps I should focus on one handed presses and carries with the 32 to get used to it being overhead?

  39. #139
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I'd be interested in taking a look but couldn't get the link to work? I'm finding the jump between 24 and 32 the hardest with get ups, one handed swings with the 32 are easy now. Perhaps I should focus on one handed presses and carries with the 32 to get used to it being overhead?
    I never made the jump properly. I did a few reps at 32 but for my body weight (70kgs) 32 was heavy. Swings as you said became easy. I think adding mass and focusing in heavy overhead work would be the thing to do.

  40. #140
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,437
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I never made the jump properly. I did a few reps at 32 but for my body weight (70kgs) 32 was heavy. Swings as you said became easy. I think adding mass and focusing in heavy overhead work would be the thing to do.
    I know what you mean, am at 72.5kg bodyweight having dropped a fair amount while trying to maintain strength through deadlifts and squats, can do a few get up reps with the 32 but it's not pretty.

  41. #141
    Master senwar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,689
    I used to love going to the Kettlebell class at the gym but the times don't work now.

    I have a few older kettlebells at home (Aldi purchases) but the weights aren't enough so am tempted to get some cast iron for home.

    Would you buy a pair then a single larger weight for swings? Or just one of each weight? I can't remember if you do exercises with two kettlebells at a time or just one!

  42. #142
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I used to love going to the Kettlebell class at the gym but the times don't work now.

    I have a few older kettlebells at home (Aldi purchases) but the weights aren't enough so am tempted to get some cast iron for home.

    Would you buy a pair then a single larger weight for swings? Or just one of each weight? I can't remember if you do exercises with two kettlebells at a time or just one!
    Double kettlebell work is tricky to master and I wouldn't start with it. I would start with a single kettlebell and mainly work on swings. If you want to mix in some other exercises (presses, TGU, Snatch) buy one size small. Then go from there.

    I think a 16 is good to start with. Then progress to a 24 for swings and keep the 16 for other exercises.

  43. #143
    Master senwar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,689
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Double kettlebell work is tricky to master and I wouldn't start with it. I would start with a single kettlebell and mainly work on swings. If you want to mix in some other exercises (presses, TGU, Snatch) buy one size small. Then go from there.

    I think a 16 is good to start with. Then progress to a 24 for swings and keep the 16 for other exercises.
    Thanks, although I'm not a starter with this having done quite a few classes over the years, I'm a bit of a weakling strengthwise!

    I've just bought a 12kg and 16kg to start with (from Argos) and will hopefully progress to 24 in the coming months. I did try both the 12 and 16 yesterday in the gym during a boot camp class using the 16 for the swings.

    Will have a really good look at home workouts now

  44. #144
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I thought it was useful. I was just a half day course, not part of a certification. It helped me with my technique a little



    Around 5 days a week. I recorded all my workouts in a blog, if you want to have a look.

    https://fit2fence.blogspot.com/searc...%26%20Sinister
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes itís technique that Iím looking for really. All well and good learning by reading and videos etc, but I think some tuition would go a long way.
    I practice yoga, I know from that thereís always room for improvement, and most of the time it takes someone else to assist and advise.

    Iíll have a read. I think I need to make more of a commitment to S&S to see improvement. Roughly two sessions a week right now, with yoga/spin class and kettlebell workouts the rest of the week.

  45. #145
    Master senwar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,689
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Just did this one

    https://youtu.be/W2E3Qd5r3uM

    Ignore the ďriptitudeĒ philosophy from Sgt Shanahan, the workout is good.

    I had to mix up the weight as I couldnít do all exercises with a 16kg


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just done this one - I actually used to do this in my garage a good few years back so recognised it when firing up. But dear god it beat me. I am so out of shape/fitness despite PT and cycling!

    I'm genuinely battered! Oh well, at least i've started back on it at home

  46. #146
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    3,171
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Just done this one - I actually used to do this in my garage a good few years back so recognised it when firing up. But dear god it beat me. I am so out of shape/fitness despite PT and cycling!

    I'm genuinely battered! Oh well, at least i've started back on it at home
    Saved this one to try tomorrow looks good

  47. #147
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Just done this one - I actually used to do this in my garage a good few years back so recognised it when firing up. But dear god it beat me. I am so out of shape/fitness despite PT and cycling!

    I'm genuinely battered! Oh well, at least i've started back on it at home


    Maybe set yourself a benchmark test and revisit to see how much fitter you get over the weeks, months?

    Ignore the times he quotes, comparing to others is not the idea. I found it useful to see how much I improved over time.


    From an earlier post:


    Found a benchmark test by Greg Brookes:

    Two Handed Swing ◊ 20 reps
    Push Ups ◊ 10 reps (10 - 1)
    Repeat 10 times

    ďA classic kettlebell challenge that will increase both your strength and cardio all in under 15 minutes. Perform the exercises one after the other for 10 rounds reducing only the Push Ups by 1 rep each round. Your goal is under 10 minutes ď.

    So thatís 200 KB swings and 55 push ups.

  48. #148
    Master senwar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,689
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Maybe set yourself a benchmark test and revisit to see how much fitter you get over the weeks, months?

    Ignore the times he quotes, comparing to others is not the idea. I found it useful to see how much I improved over time.


    From an earlier post:


    Found a benchmark test by Greg Brookes:

    Two Handed Swing ◊ 20 reps
    Push Ups ◊ 10 reps (10 - 1)
    Repeat 10 times

    ďA classic kettlebell challenge that will increase both your strength and cardio all in under 15 minutes. Perform the exercises one after the other for 10 rounds reducing only the Push Ups by 1 rep each round. Your goal is under 10 minutes ď.

    So thatís 200 KB swings and 55 push ups.
    Thanks - will have a go at this.

    Was actually at my weekly PT today (I say weekly, I went back last week after 3 months off) and we focussed on Kettlebells based on what I said I'd done yesterday. Ended up doing:

    20 dead lifts (32kg)
    20 two handed swings (12kg - did feel light though)
    20 squat then left/right turns (8kg)
    10 balanced row (16kg) on each leg. So lean on a step, back leg out straight in the air, then pull up/row
    10 back/forth leg swing while pulling up 20kg kettlebell (10 on each leg again).

    Did 3 sets of these, followed by 5 min HIIT on spin bike and 5 min HIIT rowing. Ouch.

    What I was pleased with is my balance and posture - I could tell that I was way in front of where I was the last time i did a kettlebell class. Work to do but I'll give the benchmark test a go over the next week. Thanks

  49. #149
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    3,171
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Just done this one - I actually used to do this in my garage a good few years back so recognised it when firing up. But dear god it beat me. I am so out of shape/fitness despite PT and cycling!

    I'm genuinely battered! Oh well, at least i've started back on it at home
    Absolutely kicked my arse this one, well done for quoting it and thanks to the original poster.
    I got through a bit using a 20kg my train of thought being I usually use a 24 so Iíll drop to a lighter weight it wasnít long before I was dusting off a 16kg lol. Hard work but very enjoyable Once you tune out the ripatude stuff

  50. #150
    Master senwar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,689
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Absolutely kicked my arse this one, well done for quoting it and thanks to the original poster.
    I got through a bit using a 20kg my train of thought being I usually use a 24 so Iíll drop to a lighter weight it wasnít long before I was dusting off a 16kg lol. Hard work but very enjoyable Once you tune out the ripatude stuff
    It really is laughable that isn't it. He's a decent trainer this guy but that just makes me laugh/cringe.

    Glad you enjoyed. I struggled with my 12kg if I'm honest!
    Last edited by senwar; 6th September 2019 at 10:13.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information