closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kettlebell thread

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    I was actually born in the East end, but don’t tell anyone, I might have to change my user name?
    Yes now in Essex.
    The Norfolk foundry will deliver at extra cost.
    Ha, my family headed up to North London from the East End instead of Essex.

I saw, looks good but only goes up to 32 and I prefer competition kettlebells...

Craftsman
    These look nice. Might be tempted depending on delivery cost.

Sequel to the Strong First programme has been published,
    https://www.strongfirst.com/simple-s...in-quarantine/

Just tested press. Can do 12 reps of the 24kg whereas previously only had 3. Tried the 32, got it halfway up on the right. So hard!

Hopefully if I programme the 24kg next and do a cycle with it, I will get closer to the 32.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Just tested press. Can do 12 reps of the 24kg whereas previously only had 3. Tried the 32, got it halfway up on the right. So hard!

Hopefully if I programme the 24kg next and do a cycle with it, I will get closer to the 32.
    That's a great result, well done.

That's a great result, well done.
    Thanks! Much that I hate to admit it, sub maximal training works...

Master
    Thanks! Much that I hate to admit it, sub maximal training works...
    I squatted 20/20 and then 20/24. I couldn't get a good rack with 32/24. Tried a few times and tweaked my shoulder so will lay off for a while.

On the press got 8/8 with the 24. I'm pretty happy with that, especially as I was feeling a bit under the weather. Struggled with 4-5 in the past.

Testing pullups with the 12 on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I squatted 20/20 and then 20/24. I couldn't get a good rack with 32/24. Tried a few times and tweaked my shoulder so will lay off for a while.

On the press got 8/8 with the 24. I'm pretty happy with that, especially as I was feeling a bit under the weather. Struggled with 4-5 in the past.

Testing pullups with the 12 on Friday.
    Nice. Sounds like you're at a similar level to me, so if be interested to see what you get on the pullup plus 12, as I was thinking of using that for the heavy pullup in the next progression of the programme.

Master
    So to sum up, if you wish to get stronger, follow a program!

Anyone fancy trying these concrete kettlebells on ebay ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KettleBel...IAAOSwm8telF1-

Bottoms up use could be an issue.

So to sum up, if you wish to get stronger, follow a program!

Anyone fancy trying these concrete kettlebells on ebay ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KettleBel...IAAOSwm8telF1-

Bottoms up use could be an issue.
    Well I've tried plenty of programs which delivered no progress....

Ha that handle looks painful, only one up from wire!

Not kettlebells but I have started swinging a sledgehammer against a tyre or the ground as Tabata circuits. Forearms and core really burn after that!

Master
    So my clicking shoulder was rested for a couple weeks. Still clicking with two hand swings , so going to try a longer kettlebell rest.
    Alternative exercise may be called for.

So my clicking shoulder was rested for a couple weeks. Still clicking with two hand swings , so going to try a longer kettlebell rest.
    Alternative exercise may be called for.
    Sorry to hear that. I think these things just happen as we get older. As long as it doesn't hurt I'd just get on with it.

Master
    I started this on Monday exercises are (Heavy, medium, Light)

Goblets Squat 24/20, 20/20, 32
    Press 1H 24, 2H 20/20, 1H 16
    Pullups BW+12, BW+8, BW

I'll run on two other days and take the weekend off.

Master
    Sorry to hear that. I think these things just happen as we get older. As long as it doesn't hurt I'd just get on with it.
    Agreed, no pain, but some tenderness that evening and the next day.
    I do find I worry more about these things as I get older!
    I’m signed up to a two hour yoga Sun Salutations workshop this coming Saturday, so I’ll save my shoulder for that.

I started this on Monday exercises are (Heavy, medium, Light)

Goblets Squat 24/20, 20/20, 32
    Press 1H 24, 2H 20/20, 1H 16
    Pullups BW+12, BW+8, BW

I'll run on two other days and take the weekend off.
    Nice, good selection. I'm on tge second week and similarly am doing:

Squat: H 32/24 KB double front squat, M 24/16 double front squat, L 32 KB goblet squat

Press: H 1H 32 KB floor press, M 24 KB 1H press, L press ups on two kettlebells, but might change this to the 16 KB 1H press

Pull: H pullups with 12 KB, M chin ups, L 1H rows with 32 KB

Doing Simple and Sinister with the 32kg on off days. Finishing Monday and Friday workouts with Tabata sets with a sledgehammer on a tire, love jt. Weekend off.

Maybe do some swings on the off days for a hinge movement? Seems to be what is recommended.

The heavy squats are a killer!

Craftsman
    Will check this out. Back on the horse again after a week off. Need to get some bigger bells. On the look out for 16 and 24 kg.

Bit late into this but thought I’d put my thoughts in.

Used kettlebells as part of my 3 times a week gym routine but main focus for me is always running/cycling/swimming for triathlon training.

Just before lockdown, tried to source some bits for home training and ended up with the Bowflex 840 kettlebell. It’s a 6 in 1 kettlebell where you can just flick a switch and the weight changes from 3.5 to 18 kg so as a space saver, it’s ideal. Took about 5 weeks to get delivered so been using it pretty much every day for past month now.

I’ve found it good enough for what I needed. Coupled with the fact the wife can use it for the lighter weights, then it’s been a good buy. Seems sturdy enough. Sometimes rattles on some of the more energetic exercises but feels solid and the grip is decent.

Only criticism so far is there’s probably too big a gap between some weights. In its upper range, goes 11, 16, 18kg so could possibly have extended the upper range a tad and put something a bit more in the middle.

Anyway, it works fine for what I need which is mainly just conditioning so I’m happy with it. Enjoy my Bowflex time first thing in morning now I’m in the routine and haven’t missed a session in a month now.

Been a useful thread and picked up some decent info off of it so cheers to all.

Malc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well after reviewing the thread I locked in on the 10,000 swing challenge in 20 days. I am doing 1,2,3, for chin ups in between but goodness me, my hamstrings are sore today.

Going to have to push through tonight, but I can see this is going to get worse before it gets better.
    Last edited by Cavham; 5th June 2020 at 10:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Well after reviewing the thread I locked in on the 10,000 swing challenge in 20 days. I am doing 1,2,3, for chin ups in between but goodness me, my hamstrings are store today.

Going to have to push through tonight, but I can see this is going to get worse before it gets better.
    Hah, much respect I have not tried that yet!

Swings I treat like medicine and just do the dosage, it's not my favourite.

The second part of Simple Strength for Difficult Times is tough, mainly I think because of lack of sleep. Also minimal rest periods because of time pressure which is obviously not ideal. Definitely stretching me though in the third week!

This is the first time I have worked out with only kettlebells instead of barbells and I have to say I feel and look stronger and I move better. Definitely more functional. Can't see myself returning to the gym at this rate!

Not sure though if I will find myself doing pullups and swinging a sledgehammer outside when it's bad weather though...
    Last edited by mindforge; 5th June 2020 at 07:16.

Master
    How’s everyones kettlebells going?

Well after some weeks of no kettlebells (only yoga and cardio) due to a wonky shoulder I’ve started simple and sinister again.

Very humbling starting back at 12kg for both swings and Turkish Get Ups.

Although S&S is a great program, when time allows I’ve added cleans, pull ups and farmers carries.

Going well thanks. Running another cycle of the simple strength for difficult times part 2. Kettlebell press with a 32kg for heavy, 28kg for medium and 24kg for light. Double kettlebell squat with the 32kg and 28kg for heavy, 28kg and 24kg for medium and 24kg and 16kg for light. Pullups with the 16kg and 12kg, and chin ups.

Holding the heavy kettlebells in the rack position is really taxing!

Still doing Simple and Sinister on the off days and finishing with Tabata rounds with the sledgehammer on the tire and now doing some carries with the heavy kettlebells.

Waiting for the 40kg competition kettlebell to come into stock at Blk Box, unless anyone has some good leads on a reasonably priced one!

Master
    I finished part 2. Wasn't that great for me. Made minimum progress. Tested out with +16 on pullups, but squats and press didn't really go anywhere. Work was busy, I was eating less, but also drinking less and sleeping week. I think I just felt generally jaded.

Took this week easy and the same for next. Some shoulder rehab, swings pullups and pushup. The following week I intent to get back in the gym. Two days of power lifts, two day of strength aerobics and two days of running.

I finished part 2. Wasn't that great for me. Made minimum progress. Tested out with +16 on pullups, but squats and press didn't really go anywhere. Work was busy, I was eating less, but also drinking less and sleeping week. I think I just felt generally jaded.

Took this week easy and the same for next. Some shoulder rehab, swings pullups and pushup. The following week I intent to get back in the gym. Two days of power lifts, two day of strength aerobics and two days of running.
    Interesting, sorry to hear it didn't work out. I think the sub maximum lifting works well for me, made progress on all the lifts. Can't see myself returning to the gym at this rate although I miss deadlifting. Also I find the get up has the most useful carry over to every day life in term of functional lifting.

Master
    A few weeks on, I'm still following S&S program. Feels like slow progress to be honest, but I think that's because I'm repeating the program starting over again seems odd. Managed 2 hand swings 24kg, 10x10 in 5 minutes, so moving up to 28kg. TGUs 20kg x5 with ease now, can lift 24kg ok, so now feeding 24kg into the reps. Slow and steady.
    My plan was to do more sessions each week as the S&S program should take less time per session. But life doesn't always work how you plan. In lockdown time I had a new weekly routine, now back at yoga at our sports centre twice a week, and my routine has switched around. I'd love to get more sessions in as I feel it would help. But at the same time I've found I really enjoy practicing Ashtanga yoga at home, and could do with extra practice time.
    Need more hours in the day.

A few weeks on, I'm still following S&S program. Feels like slow progress to be honest, but I think that's because I'm repeating the program starting over again seems odd. Managed 2 hand swings 24kg, 10x10 in 5 minutes, so moving up to 28kg. TGUs 20kg x5 with ease now, can lift 24kg ok, so now feeding 24kg into the reps. Slow and steady.
    My plan was to do more sessions each week as the S&S program should take less time per session. But life doesn't always work how you plan. In lockdown time I had a new weekly routine, now back at yoga at our sports centre twice a week, and my routine has switched around. I'd love to get more sessions in as I feel it would help. But at the same time I've found I really enjoy practicing Ashtanga yoga at home, and could do with extra practice time.
    Need more hours in the day.
    Sounds like good progress. I know what you mean, I am getting up at 5am to fit in the workouts plus warm up and stretching before the children wake up at 7....

Master
    Sounds like good progress. I know what you mean, I am getting up at 5am to fit in the workouts plus warm up and stretching before the children wake up at 7....
    That very dedicated of you! My whole routine is a bit up in the air right now, I know it will settle down into a pattern in a few weeks.
    I'm planning on following S&S for a while longer, until it gets cold outside, as doing TGUs on the patio in the cold is no fun!

Master
    I'm impressed with the 5 am start too. I'me pretty much useless at working out before 8. I'm now back in the gym 2-3 days a week doing basic lifts with either a short run or a row on the C2. Tw other days a week I'm doing a basic circuit of swings, pushups and goblet squats. I'm feeling pretty good.

Master
    Started Simple and sinister this week, nailed the 16Kg tge so next week I’ll start with the 20, swings depends on how I’m feeling that day some days 24 is fine other days I’ve got to drop to a 20. I am however enjoying it and despite being boring there’s an awful lot of comfort in not thinking about anything and just focusing on the work out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Started Simple and sinister this week, nailed the 16Kg tge so next week I’ll start with the 20, swings depends on how I’m feeling that day some days 24 is fine other days I’ve got to drop to a 20. I am however enjoying it and despite being boring there’s an awful lot of comfort in not thinking about anything and just focusing on the work out.
    Good work. I find my performance level varies too, I guess sleep, session time of day and other factors come into play. Pavel suggests on an off day drop back a weight or two, concentrate on the movements.
    On the TGUs I find once I have a weight I can use with confidence, going through the movements and pausing/holding at each stage really helps build strength.

Master
    Anyone looking to buy cast iron style kettlebells, as of this morning mirafit.co.uk have all sizes in stock with £5 delivery, which is nice. Just ordered 20kg and 24kg to replace my argos kettlebells.

Link - https://mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-cast-i...of-weight.html

Anyone looking to buy cast iron style kettlebells, as of this morning mirafit.co.uk have all sizes in stock with £5 delivery, which is nice. Just ordered 20kg and 24kg to replace my argos kettlebells.

Link - https://mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-cast-i...of-weight.html
    Thanks for that, just ordered the same as you...

P&P is the outstanding at £5, I looked at some that wanted as much as the kettlebell, so prices do vary a lot!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjay View Post
    Thanks for that, just ordered the same as you...

P&P is the outstanding at £5, I looked at some that wanted as much as the kettlebell, so prices do vary a lot!
    You are welcome. Looks like mine are goin g to arrive this afternoon !!

I didn't know this thread existed!

I've been doing kettlebells since Christmas, it's brilliant for overall strength for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (which is my main hobby). And with the lockdown it's also been perfect as it can be done at home.

I have been doing Pavel's "Simple" so far, I had built up to doing all of "Simple" with a 32kg kettlebell, but I stopped for a couple of months during lockdown (due to almost cutting 2 fingers off), so I've had to drop back to doing "Simple" with 24kg at the moment as my strength had dropped a bit. I can still do 1H swings and TGUs with 32kg, but not the entire workout (yet).

I have x2 24kg GS Competition standard kettlebells, and x1 32kg GS Competition standard kettlebell, all from Wolverson.

Last edited by Vampire; 8th September 2020 at 12:13.

Nice! Solid progress and nice kettlebells. I keep looking out for a 40kg to buy. Just finishing my third cycle of Simple Strength for Difficult Times, still making progress.

Just discovered this thread as well, bought my first kettlebell two weeks ago and been doing some basic swings and squats so far.

My intention now is to turn my daughters play room (which she never uses) into my gym.
    I’ll be putting my treadmill, turbo trainer then some matting down to do some kettlebell, pushups, sit-ups etc etc.

Should I buy more than 1 kettlebell (mine is 12kg) and get some dumbbells as well?

Not sure I’ll have enough room for a bench???

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Just discovered this thread as well, bought my first kettlebell two weeks ago and been doing some basic swings and squats so far.

My intention now is to turn my daughters play room (which she never uses) into my gym.
    I’ll be putting my treadmill, turbo trainer then some matting down to do some kettlebell, pushups, sit-ups etc etc.

Should I buy more than 1 kettlebell (mine is 12kg) and get some dumbbells as well?

Not sure I’ll have enough room for a bench???

Up to you but I would not have thought you need a bench or dumbbells for that matter if going with kettlebells. Presses are better for your shoulders. I haven't noticed any difference since stopping benching but my press has got stronger.

Up to you but I would not have thought you need a bench or dumbbells for that matter if going with kettlebells. Presses are better for your shoulders. I haven't noticed any difference since stopping benching but my press has got stronger.
    Works for me as I’m new to weights tbh, always preferred the cardio side of things to heavy weights, I only have a 12kg at the moment (stop laughing) but thinking about getting a couple more up in weight maybe a 14/16???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    A 12kg and a 16kg would be good to start with. A small folding bench can be useful but not essential. I like having dumbbells, again for some variety and a doorway pullup bar is also a great addition. But you can get get a lot of training done with a single kelltebell and enough space to do some pushups.

Works for me as I’m new to weights tbh, always preferred the cardio side of things to heavy weights, I only have a 12kg at the moment (stop laughing) but thinking about getting a couple more up in weight maybe a 14/16???

Just see how you go with the 12kg to see whether kettlebells are for you. Next one up would be the 16kg, you don't need to get every one in between. You'll know when the 12 is too light and it's still useful for other stuff when you move on.

Thanks, have to say I’ve been doing them for a couple of weeks now and I do prefer them to when I used to do weight machine sets at the gym, always a slog tbh...

I think a 16 would be good to get in the future for myself.

Master

Kettlebells go up (and down) in 4kg and 8kg. With gym machines and weights you can increase by say 10% by adding small plates etc. But with KB we can't do that. To provide progressive overload with KB we have to vary load in other ways. Time under tension, total volume, no of reps, no of sets, type of sets (ladder loading) all play a part.

For example, in Simple and sinister when going from 20 to 24kg in Turkish Get Ups you would wait until you can do all five left and right with the 20kg like you own that kettlebell. Only then would you start to feed in the 24kg.

So the next few sessions may look like this.
    16,16,16,16,16 (deload day)
    and so on until 24,24,24,24,24 !
    Add in some rest days etc.

Hope that make sense.

Kettlebells go up (and down) in 4kg and 8kg. With gym machines and weights you can increase by say 10% by adding small plates etc. But with KB we can't do that. To provide progressive overload with KB we have to vary load in other ways. Time under tension, total volume, no of reps, no of sets, type of sets (ladder loading) all play a part.

For example, in Simple and sinister when going from 20 to 24kg in Turkish Get Ups you would wait until you can do all five left and right with the 20kg like you own that kettlebell. Only then would you start to feed in the 24kg.

So the next few sessions may look like this.
    16,16,16,16,16 (deload day)
    and so on until 24,24,24,24,24 !
    Add in some rest days etc.

Hope that make sense.
    Yes it does mate, I’m going to buy another one 4kg from my current one because I think I’ll need it in the next week or two, thanks...

Master
    In other news - All my kettlebell exercises have been self taught from books or following tutorials online. I’ve found a gym about 30 minutes drive from home and the owner is a kettlebell instructor. He offered to access my Turkish get ups from a video. He was surprised that I’ve had no formal coaching and is happy with what I’m doing. Following on he’s now offered a session at his gym to go over a few points to improve. So hopefully in the next week or so I’ll pop over and spend a bit of time learning. Really looking forward to seeing how I can improve. I’ll report back here afterwards.

That's great. I had a session with a Strong First instructor to refine the get up and swing and found it really helpful.

Partly inspired by this thread, I’ve ordered Simple and Sinister - had to order from the states, as I don’t like these type of books on the kindle. I want to use the kettlebells as a bit of an experiment after seeing some good results during lockdown with some other strength and conditioning I’ve been doing and coaching of others. I’ve just passed my coaching award for TriathlonSand have made a return to the pool, and am aiming to use the prolonged off season and uncertainty of racing this year and next to try to make some general strength gains and assess the effect that more pronounced S&C work has on the triathlon elements.

I’ve ordered (more) kettlebells, and S&S, and will give it a go as I know that most athletes don’t pay anywhere near enough time building strength, and just think that distance and time worked are king. I want to use the next few months to change my focus and see the effects of some simple (!) kettlebell exercises will have, although I am also going to add in some pull ups as I am rubbish at these!

Just waiting for everything to arrive now! Can’t wait...

Master
    Partly inspired by this thread, I’ve ordered Simple and Sinister - had to order from the states, as I don’t like these type of books on the kindle. I want to use the kettlebells as a bit of an experiment after seeing some good results during lockdown with some other strength and conditioning I’ve been doing and coaching of others. I’ve just passed my coaching award for TriathlonSand have made a return to the pool, and am aiming to use the prolonged off season and uncertainty of racing this year and next to try to make some general strength gains and assess the effect that more pronounced S&C work has on the triathlon elements.

I’ve ordered (more) kettlebells, and S&S, and will give it a go as I know that most athletes don’t pay anywhere near enough time building strength, and just think that distance and time worked are king. I want to use the next few months to change my focus and see the effects of some simple (!) kettlebell exercises will have, although I am also going to add in some pull ups as I am rubbish at these!

Just waiting for everything to arrive now! Can’t wait...
    This sounds great, and it will be interesting to see how it works out, I'm sure practicing S&S will give you the advantage as it's a good all round conditioning program. For pull ups, have you got a program to follow? If not may I suggest this one https://www.strongfirst.com/the-figh...ram-revisited/

This sounds great, and it will be interesting to see how it works out, I'm sure practicing S&S will give you the advantage as it's a good all round conditioning program. For pull ups, have you got a program to follow? If not may I suggest this one https://www.strongfirst.com/the-figh...ram-revisited/
    I haven’t... yet, but thanks, I’ll take a look. I’ve been doing assisted/banded pull ups, but have not been able to progress as long arms/tall body don’t make them any easier, however the benefits for swimming are immense!

I want to become strong and lean, and not add bulk, which is why I think KB’s are a good plan.

Master
    I haven’t... yet, but thanks, I’ll take a look. I’ve been doing assisted/banded pull ups, but have not been able to progress as long arms/tall body don’t make them any easier, however the benefits for swimming are immense!

I want to become strong and lean, and not add bulk, which is why I think KB’s are a good plan.
    That was my next suggestion, use a rubber band and/or slow negatives. That really helped me get going on pull ups. I also lost 16kg over 18 months which made them a bit easier!