closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kettlebell thread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    It really is laughable that isn't it. He's a decent trainer this guy but that just makes me laugh/cringe.

Glad you enjoyed. I struggled with my 12kg if I'm honest!
    Yeah it’s cringe worthy alright, a few of his later videos he’s dialled it back a bit so they’re easier to listen to, starting off with a 20kg wasn’t the smartest move I’ve ever made. I’ll give it a go again over the weekend and start with a 16 this time but it’s a good damn good workout.

I like this one and a few others by this guy

https://youtu.be/1eNcUqpCIjE

More traditional moves but I like the guys style, it’s good to mix it up and find something that challenges you and ripitude lol certainly did that.

I've been using kettlebells on and off for a few years and decided to get back into it recently.

I watched Joe Rogan speaking highly of a guy called Keith Weber when discussing kettlebells so I searched for him on youtube and followed his videos.
    Of all the kettlebell videos I've watched on youtube, he's the best for me. He's fun, gives great advice and has helped me stop banging the kettlebell on my forearm when performing the clean or the snatch!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheKeithWeber/videos

Master
    How we all doing ?

I’ve made the commitment to simple and sinister. Started three weeks ago and planning to keep on it up to Christmas and then re evaluate. I purchased the kindle version from Amazon for around £8.

Since reading the whole thing I’ve had a reset and dropped back the weight I was using for Turkish Get ups. Before moving up in weight you really need to “own” that kettlebell during the Turkish Get up.

I like how easy the program is, warm up, swings, get ups, done.

The only thing I’ve added is some pull ups in the week.

After three weeks I’ve already noticed some definition in my shoulders, and I’m slowly adding in the next kettlebell weight. Slow and steady wins the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    How we all doing ?

I’ve made the commitment to simple and sinister. Started three weeks ago and planning to keep on it up to Christmas and then re evaluate. I purchased the kindle version from Amazon for around £8.

Since reading the whole thing I’ve had a reset and dropped back the weight I was using for Turkish Get ups. Before moving up in weight you really need to “own” that kettlebell during the Turkish Get up.

I like how easy the program is, warm up, swings, get ups, done.

The only thing I’ve added is some pull ups in the week.

After three weeks I’ve already noticed some definition in my shoulders, and I’m slowly adding in the next kettlebell weight. Slow and steady wins the race.
    Nice. What weights are you using? Interested to see how long it takes you to get to Simple. How many times a week are you training?

I've been doing Simple and Sinister twice a week for quite a while now, form is pretty good I think, have had it checked a couple of times. Got to 32kg single arm swings pretty quickly and can do a couple of 32kg get ups but like you I reset and now am trying to get really comfortable with the 24kg before moving up, I'm not in any rush.

Still doing general barbell compound lifts three times a week so haven't completely committed to the programme, although Pavel allows for that in the book.

I do really recommend bottoms up kettlebell work to get the shoulder position right for the getups, which was something I struggled with, a slow getup with a bottom up kettlebell is great.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Nice. What weights are you using? Interested to see how long it takes you to get to Simple. How many times a week are you training?

I've been doing Simple and Sinister twice a week for quite a while now, form is pretty good I think, have had it checked a couple of times. Got to 32kg single arm swings pretty quickly and can do a couple of 32kg get ups but like you I reset and now am trying to get really comfortable with the 24kg before moving up, I'm not in any rush.

Still doing general barbell compound lifts three times a week so haven't completely committed to the programme, although Pavel allows for that in the book.

I do really recommend bottoms up kettlebell work to get the shoulder position right for the getups, which was something I struggled with, a slow getup with a bottom up kettlebell is great.

Previously I had managed a few TGU with a 24kg. But looking back I was moving up before I should have, taking a risk, rushing, letting my ego get the better of me. Then a couple months back I had a fall from my mountain bike, smashed my right leg up a bit, nothing too bad, but had to take time to heal, therefore no resistance training for a couple of months.

Started S&S and went back to 16kg for TGU, slowly adding in 20kg, now up to 5 x TGU with 20kg. I’ve not done the timed test on TGU yet, maybe try next week with the 16kg. Two hand swing 10x10 24kg in 5 minutes (need another kettlebell again!), and one hand 20kg comfortably, need to start adding in 24kg. Again should do timed tests with one hand swings for reference.

I’m trying to do S&S three to four times a week. It’s my only resistance training (apart from pull ups). Yoga class four times a week (two vinyasa flow and two hatha/ashtanga) which could count as resistance training sometimes. I find yoga and kettlebells complement each other. The strength I’ve gained from kettlebells has helped with some of the harder yoga poses (headstands/arm balances i.e. crow pose), and the mobility/flexibility I’ve gained from yoga helps in kettlebell training.

Good idea with the bottoms up TGU, S&S suggests a day at a lower weight when feeling fatigued etc, the bottoms up TGU with a light weight would be good for that. Concentrate on the movement not the mass.

I’m back to the age old issue, what size KB to buy next, 28kg or 32kg? Annoyingly I’m sure for 2 hand swings 32kg would be fine, but I’m also sure jumping from 24 to 32kg for TGUs would be too big a jump, not that I’m anywhere near that stage yet.

Previously I had managed a few TGU with a 24kg. But looking back I was moving up before I should have, taking a risk, rushing, letting my ego get the better of me. Then a couple months back I had a fall from my mountain bike, smashed my right leg up a bit, nothing too bad, but had to take time to heal, therefore no resistance training for a couple of months.

Started S&S and went back to 16kg for TGU, slowly adding in 20kg, now up to 5 x TGU with 20kg. I’ve not done the timed test on TGU yet, maybe try next week with the 16kg. Two hand swing 10x10 24kg in 5 minutes (need another kettlebell again!), and one hand 20kg comfortably, need to start adding in 24kg. Again should do timed tests with one hand swings for reference.

I’m trying to do S&S three to four times a week. It’s my only resistance training (apart from pull ups). Yoga class four times a week (two vinyasa flow and two hatha/ashtanga) which could count as resistance training sometimes. I find yoga and kettlebells complement each other. The strength I’ve gained from kettlebells has helped with some of the harder yoga poses (headstands/arm balances i.e. crow pose), and the mobility/flexibility I’ve gained from yoga helps in kettlebell training.

Good idea with the bottoms up TGU, S&S suggests a day at a lower weight when feeling fatigued etc, the bottoms up TGU with a light weight would be good for that. Concentrate on the movement not the mass.

I’m back to the age old issue, what size KB to buy next, 28kg or 32kg? Annoyingly I’m sure for 2 hand swings 32kg would be fine, but I’m also sure jumping from 24 to 32kg for TGUs would be too big a jump, not that I’m anywhere near that stage yet.
    I only have 16, 24 and 32, but got a 12 for bottoms up work. It is a big jump between 24 and 32 for TGU, not so much for swings. Just means you put the odd single with a 32 in, along with plenty of rest, then it makes the 24 seem light!

Frustrating about the mountain bike injury, I find you usually learn something from recovery from an injury though. I spend much longer warming up and now and activating muscles, assessing posture and stiffness now before a workout. Should adjust the workout accordingly too but I'm not quite there yet!

Just meandering through this thread, I'm probably being thick but are competition bells for single handed exercises and "normal" wider handle to allow 2 hands, why would the wide handle of the normal one be a disadvantage for the advanced user?

Also whilst I'm here from a quick look most exercise are one hand/ two hand one kettle bell, why would you need to buy in pairs (yes I've wandered around a few websites too)?

some exercises are just done in pairs, cleans presses that sort of thing, swings are sometimes done in pairs but my training of this is usually to make up a better suited weight if you don't have the "correct" bell. Ie 2 x 20 if you want to step up to 40 that sort of thing.

Personally, things like rack walks, waiter carries, farmers walks etc can be more beneficial with two of the same weights, but other than that I can't really see the benefit.

I always assumed competition bells were a similar sized handle to the standard ones, but its the fact the 8kg is the same dimensions as the 32kg everywhere else that makes the biggest difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    some exercises are just done in pairs, cleans presses that sort of thing, swings are sometimes done in pairs but my training of this is usually to make up a better suited weight if you don't have the "correct" bell. Ie 2 x 20 if you want to step up to 40 that sort of thing.

Personally, things like rack walks, waiter carries, farmers walks etc can be more beneficial with two of the same weights, but other than that I can't really see the benefit.

I always assumed competition bells were a similar sized handle to the standard ones, but its the fact the 8kg is the same dimensions as the 32kg everywhere else that makes the biggest difference.
    Cheers, got some from Argos to collect tomorrow, cost less than a month gym subscription so worth a go (would have bought nice looking ones from Wolverson fitness for similar price after discount code, unfortunately they want £50 for delivery)

As I understand it the competition bells are all the same size, regardless of weight. I find this easier as you don't have to get used to different sizes when manoeuvring them particularly for the Turkish get up. Also I believe the weight tolerances are tighter and more likely to reflect the number on the bell.

Master
    Re one or two kettlebells exercises, another consideration is time. If doing a shoulder press, with two bells you can work both shoulders at the same time, saving time. Not something that bothers me, but on a longer workout having two the same would shorten the workout time.

As I understand it the competition bells are all the same size, regardless of weight. I find this easier as you don't have to get used to different sizes when manoeuvring them particularly for the Turkish get up. Also I believe the weight tolerances are tighter and more likely to reflect the number on the bell.
    Yes given the variation in size of Argos ones that seems to be the case (the larger one looks more like the car battery out of the RRS with a handle on it!)

Re one or two kettlebells exercises, another consideration is time. If doing a shoulder press, with two bells you can work both shoulders at the same time, saving time. Not something that bothers me, but on a longer workout having two the same would shorten the workout time.
    Yeah I don't think I need to worry about that for a while, I've written out a plan to take it slow with beginners work out 12kg and try and get the form right, initial 1 circuit, but do them every other day with bodyweight exercises and Dynair stabilistion on the other days- then build up circuits/ work through next workout as I want to get back to MTBing and need regain some flexibility and strength before any serious riding/ crashing etc.

BTW thanks for the original post with website it's really helpful and not annoyingly presented, plus makes it manageable time wise to do something more than streeeetch to the back of the biscuit tin and think I must go to the gym.

ETA Bodyweight exercises: https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/body...for-beginners/ I like the trainer is sensible enough to recommend non-KB exercises (this carries over into beginner KB exercises)
    Beginners KB exercises/ workouts: https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/begi...with-workouts/
    Last edited by Chicken Pox; 3rd October 2019 at 11:38.

Master
    @Chicken Pox glad the info on page one was useful! I’ll try and update with more info in the future.

Yes I like the kettlebellsworkouts website, lots of really useful stuff on there.

So I’ve had a medical setback. On complete rest this week, not sure when I’ll be able to lift KB for near future.... insert strong swear words here.

Master

The Kettlebell thread

Ignore
    Last edited by Essexman; 11th October 2019 at 14:57.

@Chicken Pox glad the info on page one was useful! I’ll try and update with more info in the future.

Yes I like the kettlebellsworkouts website, lots of really useful stuff on there.

So I’ve had a medical setback. On complete rest this week, not sure when I’ll be able to lift KB for near future.... insert strong swear words here.
    Sorry to hear that, take care I know the urge to rush back too soon, although I managed about ignore the urge for about 2 years after last crash

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Sorry to hear that, take care I know the urge to rush back too soon, although I managed about ignore the urge for about 2 years after last crash
    Cheers, I’ve been ordered to rest this week. Nothing to do with previous bike fall, another medical mystery!

I won’t bore you with details, I’m ok now, let’s just say god bless the NHS and it’s wonderful A&E staff, oh and the paramedics, awesome guys.

Master
    So some weeks later.....back at the kettlebells.
    I’ve been diagnosed with vertigo, which should go eventually. But this limits some moves. I can’t bend right down and come up quickly right now without the world spinning uncontrollably and feeling like I’m going to fall off ! (Followed by nausea and headaches).

Would love to get back to simple and sinister training, but not sure if I’ll be able to.

So yesterday’s workout:
    10 mind cardio warm up.
    - On the minute every minute 2 hand swing X 10.
    - 10 X Goblet squat, slow downwards, at bottom bicep curl, use elbows to open hips as you curl. Slow up wards to standing. Hold the KB upside down, perform head halo.
    - 10 X push ups
    - Pull ups (as many as I can, which was 4, lost some strength there! Was doing 6 or 7 before)
    - 10 X Clean from floor, to shoulder press, left and right.

Repeated 3 times.

Flipping ached this morning.

Master
    Seeing as I don’t know if or when be able to go back to Turkish Get Ups/Simple and Sinister, I decided to follow another program from the same author “Pavel Tsatsouline”. Thus I purchased “Enter The Kettlebell” on kindle for just under £8.

I find his books hard work, there’s a lot of padding, a great amount of detail on the movements, which is fine, but I find it hard to define the programs and how they should run. It takes me a few reads to get straight what you need to do.

The “Rite of passage” program is Clean, Press and pulls ups. Followed by swings and/or snatches. All movements I know, so it suits me fine.

I was fortunate enough to find a website that breaks down the program here - https://www.oaklandsmostpowerful.com...ming-resources

At the start this program seems a bit silly on the easy day. But over the weeks it soon ramps up with progressive overload in a kind of wavy program with Heavy/Easy/Medium days. I’m on week 6 now, the heavy day is a long workout, around an hour, and it is a bit boring, same thing over and over. The good news is it’s working, I’ve found the progression achievable. My upper body strength has increased, and physically I can see a difference. I have, when time allowed, added a leg workout in on one of the free days.

Hoping Santa will bring me a 32Kg Kettlebell for Christmas.

Did Santa drop of the 32kg bell? How's it going?

I'm plodding along nicely with 16kg and weight is steadily dropping off with noticeable results with just a "stopped eating extra crap" diet in the main, other than a bit of Christmas flexibility to go along with the exercise. The best complement I've had so far was from eldest who asked "Dad is that jumper getting too big for you?". I'm really not a gym bunny and my knees are awful, but this programme and short sessions (max 30 mins or so) means I can stick to it 6 days a week with a rest day, just careful on form with squats (keep weight back on heels) as will annoy / twist knees if poor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Did Santa drop of the 32kg bell? How's it going?

I'm plodding along nicely with 16kg and weight is steadily dropping off with noticeable results with just a "stopped eating extra crap" diet in the main, other than a bit of Christmas flexibility to go along with the exercise. The best complement I've had so far was from eldest who asked "Dad is that jumper getting too big for you?". I'm really not a gym bunny and my knees are awful, but this programme and short sessions (max 30 mins or so) means I can stick to it 6 days a week with a rest day, just careful on form with squats (keep weight back on heels) as will annoy / twist knees if poor.
    Excellent, it's nice when someone else sees your progress. I like the idea of "stop eating extra crap" diet. You may like to try "less crap a little more protein" next.

Sounds like you are enjoying the benefits of kettlebells. In the same boat with KB workouts. I like the way I can do 20 minutes or 1 hour. Sometimes nice to get in from work and knock out 20 mins, or when time allows do a longer program.

Santa did not bring me the 32KG (There was other nice things). I’m still undecided 28 or 32kg. I’m still following The Rite of passage program. Now completed the first wave pressing 20kg and moving up to 24kg. If all goes well I should move up again in approx early summer, which would be a 28kg bell.

The end of the wave was high volume, in fact the last heavy day resulted ladder sets of 5x (1,2,3,4,5). So in total 75 reps clean/press and pull ups (over an hour). But that’s how the program works. Today going up a weight, back down to 3x (1,2,3) so total of 18 reps, then over the weeks slow build up of progressive overload.

Part of the program is to do a test every month or two...….
    Part 1 is clean an press the next weight up as many times as possible to failure. Seeing as I was at the end of the first part of the program I knew this should be ok, and managed 5 left and 5 almost 6 right. Which confirms it’s time to move up a weight.

Part 2 was the snatch test. As many as possible in 10 minutes. This should come with a warning, DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT PRACTICE. This was much harder than I thought. Using a 16kg KB (one below pressing weight) I managed 128 total. That was 6 snatches every 30 seconds alternate left and right, then the last minute 10 and 10. At around 7 minutes I noticed the cardio side was really hard work, out of breath. Keeping good form was also difficult. This snatch test took its toll over the next few of days, terrible muscle soreness. I won’t be doing that every month.

Master
    Last edited by reecie; 10th February 2020 at 18:46.

How's everyone getting in with their kettlebells in isolation?

This is the first time I've only done kettlebells and no barbell work for such a prolonged period.

I have been doing this Strong First programme mentioned on the other thread early in the mornings,
    https://www.strongfirst.com/si...ngt...fficult-times/

Using a 32kg kettlebell for goblet squats and single arm rows and a 16kg kettlebell for one arm presses.

Doing Simple and Sinister on the two off days, 32kg kettlebells for the 100 swings, working up from the 24kg kettlebell to the 32kg one for the 10 get ups.

Also doing pullups and dips in the afternoons with the pullup bar I got attached to the tree outside.

Have to say it's going well and I might not return to the gym after all this, might get a 40kg kettlebell instead once everyone sells off all their home gym equipment.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Master
    @mindforge - that strongfirst program looks useful. How has it been?

No change really, bit boring. I'm still following the Rite of passage program (clean, press left, clean press right, pull ups, repeat many times, plus swings).

Nearing the end (approx 2 weeks) of this wave with the 24kg. Looking at my last post, it's taken 13 weeks to get to this point, I've had weeks off here and there, I've had weeks where I didn't feel ready to move up and repeated the load. In retrospect and after research reading a bit more I feel it would have been better to do four weeks on, one week off (not completely off, light loads, rest) and repeat.

As I near the end of this wave it’s getting hard with the higher amount of reps per session. The final heavy day will be 75 reps total! This is a known issue with the program, and it's seen as being harsh on the shoulders/body towards the end of each wave. Thus I’ve decided to come off this program after this wave. I'm considering if I should do a test day after this wave, I really should, to monitor progress, but that snatch test is evil.

My plan was to go back to simple and sinister (TGUs and swings) for a month or two, but now I'm looking at that strongfirst program.

Got myself a 28kg, wish I'd also gone for 32kg, but didn't have the funds at the time.

Sounds like pretty good progress.

Wasn't sure about the programme at the start but now it's becoming a bit more challenging. I'm doing a variety of floor presses and bottoms up presses after too.

Pity you didn't get the 32, seems there is a massive shortage now of kettlebells! A 40kg competition kettlebell seems between £160 and £280.... I prefer the competition ones as consistent size and balance. I just go for the cheapest I can find. Which did you get?

You can mix the String First programme with Simple and Sinister. I do the Strong First programme on Monday, Wednesday and Friday with Simple and Sinister on Tuesday and Thursday.

Master
    Yes I should add, there has been progress. I can now press 24kg many times and 28kg a few times. At the start, last year I could press 16kg many times, and 20kg only a few times. Pull up strength has vastly improved, and KB swings has improved.

Physically I'm stronger, shoulders, back, chest and legs have more definition. Pull ups has made the most noticeable physical difference, now when I lift my arms I have these wings from my shoulders to my back that weren't there before. My pull up bar has options for many hand positions, so I vary the hand positions through the workout.

The only modification to the program I made was to add goblet squats on the easy day, and the occasional farmers carry around the garden to try and improve grip.

I went for Mirafit Cast Iron Kettlebell, https://www.mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-ca...of-weight.html traditional cast iron style. The shape and handle is an big improvement over the argos MH brand.

The strongfirst link sounds like a good program, with the option to add in extras as you go. Ah yes bottoms up holding changes everything, amazing how hard a light KB can be by just switching to upside down grip.

KB prices have just gone silly. For a laugh look on ebay. Last week used MH Argos KB sold for more than double the retail cost, and were still available in argos.

That's fantastic progress on the press! I can only press the 32 a couple of times and it's not pretty.

But I can't do the 24kg for 10 reps which is why I'm using the 16kg for the Strong First programme as it is the next one down I have. I wonder if at the end of the 8 weeks of the programme if I can press the 24kg 10 times. Seems like too much of a jump. If I can, ideal way to progress with the programme, but not sure how to make goblet squat and rows harder. Could get another 24kg I suppose but not at the moment!

Good work gents on your kettlebell progress.

I have owned a 24kg KB for 15 years or so and now decided to pick it up again.

One thing I just picked up (from amazon) was a mace. I started with a 2.5kg one which is useful for getting going and then my ego got the best of me and I ordered the 12.5kg one which weighs a ton! In hindsight, and I reckon I am reasonably strong with KB experience and weight training, I think 7.5kg one would be best. Hard to find one though with free shipping.

Anyone else swinging a mace around? It is great fun!

Never tried a mace by jt sounds fun! Is it like an Indian club? What training do you do with it?

Never tried a mace by jt sounds fun! Is it like an Indian club? What training do you do with it?

Lots of similarity with the Indian club so looking at YouTube for that and dedicated mace exercises. The 2.5kg I can use for some one handed exercises as well as 2. Really opens up the shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Lots of similarity with the Indian club so looking at YouTube for that and dedicated mace exercises. The 2.5kg I can use for some one handed exercises as well as 2. Really opens up the shoulders.
    Is this the right one to get? It does look very cool.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078NVZF..._6bFMEbM993ANN

Good work gents on your kettlebell progress.

I have owned a 24kg KB for 15 years or so and now decided to pick it up again.

One thing I just picked up (from amazon) was a mace. I started with a 2.5kg one which is useful for getting going and then my ego got the best of me and I ordered the 12.5kg one which weighs a ton! In hindsight, and I reckon I am reasonably strong with KB experience and weight training, I think 7.5kg one would be best. Hard to find one though with free shipping.

Anyone else swinging a mace around? It is great fun!
    How about the 9kg one from here? I actually have a spare tyre so could slam it on that!

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/shop-.../mace-9kg.html

Master
    I'm doing the same program as mindforge and also just finished week 4. Goblet Squats with a 32, Press with a 20 and pullups with an added 8Kg. Yesterday was tough, but a gentle hangover (virtual whisky tasting the night before) didn't help. On the alternate days I do 75-100 swings with the 24 plus some TRX, bodyweight stuff, skipping rope or an easy run. Pretty easy really.

I did some indian club stuff some years ago as part of a class and it was fun, but I never bought my own club.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I'm doing the same program as mindforge and also just finished week 4. Goblet Squats with a 32, Press with a 20 and pullups with an added 8Kg. Yesterday was tough, but a gentle hangover (virtual whisky tasting the night before) didn't help. On the alternate days I do 75-100 swings with the 24 plus some TRX, bodyweight stuff, skipping rope or an easy run. Pretty easy really.

I did some indian club stuff some years ago as part of a class and it was fun, but I never bought my own club.
    Good stuff. Sounds like you have a good selection of weights. 20kg press would be good for me too, but I only have the 16 or 24. On the off days I'm doing 100 swings with the 32 and 10 get ups with the 24, mixing in the odd one with the 32 which is really tough. It's a big jump!

How do you weight the pullups? I have a belt with a chain that could loop the kettlebell round but my lightest weight is a 12.

Master
    Good stuff. Sounds like you have a good selection of weights. 20kg press would be good for me too, but I only have the 16 or 24. On the off days I'm doing 100 swings with the 32 and 10 get ups with the 24, mixing in the odd one with the 32 which is really tough. It's a big jump!

How do you weight the pullups? I have a belt with a chain that could loop the kettlebell round but my lightest weight is a 12.

I have a 8, 12, 16, 2x20, 24 and a 32. No 28 which is shame. I haven't done heavy TGUs in year. I'm always a bit wary as the weight goes up For pullups I just use a webbing belt and a ketle bell or plates. Currently using the lightest KB I have. I used to have a dip belt, the one with the chain. I've moved home a lot and it got lost along the wey. It is the best solution. I've also used a backpack in the past but it presses into the lower back.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I have a 8, 12, 16, 2x20, 24 and a 32. No 28 which is shame. I haven't done heavy TGUs in year. I'm always a bit wary as the weight goes up For pullups I just use a webbing belt and a ketle bell or plates. Currently using the lightest KB I have. I used to have a dip belt, the one with the chain. I've moved home a lot and it got lost along the wey. It is the best solution. I've also used a backpack in the past but it presses into the lower back.
    I can see that two 20s would be useful. Could clean and rack them both and then do squats with 40. Yes heavy get ups are a bit hairy, you have to really focus. I probably shouldn't do the 32 get ups but would like to achieve the Simple standard. Maybe a 28 would be more useful than getting a 40 for swings, but I don't find swings with the 32 very challenging. Normally I deadlift a lot so that could be why.

Is this the right one to get? It does look very cool.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078NVZF..._6bFMEbM993ANN

Very similar mace to the one I got, I bought the Power Guidance one which now seems sold out. Looking at your kettlebells and you are lifting a fair bit more than me I would suggest probably a 10kg mace. You might consider the 7.5 if you want a very dynamic flow workout but I think you would outgrow it quickly.

Very similar mace to the one I got, I bought the Power Guidance one which now seems sold out. Looking at your kettlebells and you are lifting a fair bit more than me I would suggest probably a 10kg mace. You might consider the 7.5 if you want a very dynamic flow workout but I think you would outgrow it quickly.
    Thanks. Thinking also of getting a couple of 5kg weight plates to strap to the bottom of the kettlebells to give intermediary weights and also increase them. Perhaps a thin ratchet strap might do the trick.

Craftsman
    Hi Comrades, Just started using kettle bells. Watched Pavel's enter the kettle bell on YouTube. Equal parts hilarious and useful. Only have access to a 10kg KB at the moment but will hopefully get some heavier ones going forward.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post
    Hi Comrades, Just started using kettle bells. Watched Pavel's enter the kettle bell on YouTube. Equal parts hilarious and useful. Only have access to a 10kg KB at the moment but will hopefully get some heavier ones going forward.
    Welcome, oh no not the one with the fake Russian accent?

He sounds a bit different on this recent podcast with Joe Regan

https://youtu.be/Rm0GNWSKzYs

Well worth a listen.

Craftsman
    Yeah it was a good episode. Listened to it when it first came out because Firaz Zahabi always goes on about him. But relistensd robot this week again. Yeah the accent and comments are too much.

Master
    Coming to the end of my current wave of Rite of Passage program with 24kg and I've found myself looking at other programs.

I see Dan John has revisited the 10K swing kettlebell workout with three variations - https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/th...kout-revisited

Edit - I'll try and get a list of programs together and place in first post.

Coming to the end of my current wave of Rite of Passage program with 24kg and I've found myself looking at other programs.

I see Dan John has revisited the 10K swing kettlebell workout with three variations - https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/th...kout-revisited

Edit - I'll try and get a list of programs together and place in first post.
    Is Rite of Passage the one with the snatch tests? Would you recommend it?

Master
    Is Rite of Passage the one with the snatch tests? Would you recommend it?
    Yes from Pavel s book Enter the kettlebell, available on kindle for around £8.

The test day is optional. It’s knackering, I said I wouldn’t do it again. But curiosity has got me, I want to see if I’ve improved.

Summary here https://www.oaklandsmostpowerful.com...ming-resources

It’s worked for me. But it is very boring! Ladder sets clean press right, clean press left, pull up, repeat many times. Followed by swings or snatches. Three days a week, the only thing I changed was to add goblet squats on the light day.

This Friday will be my last heavy day work out. Ladder sets 5x(1,2,3,4,5)
    With three minutes rest between sets. Makes a total of 75 reps. Will be over an hours workout, and a challenge.

Master
    Kettlebell programs:

Simple and Sinister (Pavel Tsatsouline ) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kettlebell-...el+Tsatsouline

Rite of passage/Enter the Kettlebell (Pavel Tsatsouline ) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Enter-Kettl...el+Tsatsouline

ROP summary - https://www.oaklandsmostpowerful.com...ming-resources

10,000 Swing Kettlebell workout (Dan John) – https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10...lebell-workout

10,000 Swing Kettlebell Workout: Revisited 3 Variations on the Best Home Training Program (Dan John) - https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/th...kout-revisited

Strongfirst lockdown program (Fabio Zonin) – https://www.strongfirst.com/simple-s...fficult-times/

The Garage Workout (Tom Furman) - https://medium.com/@physicalstrategi...t-415d1ac61953

Useful long List of programs on Reddit – https://www.reddit.com/r/kettlebell/wiki/programs

Above added to first post, if anyone has other please share.
    Last edited by Essexman; 23rd April 2020 at 13:01.

Master
    My blog has some routines, mostly the ones you listed. Don't worry, all my posts are records of workouts and the odd random thing. No life changing articles or sales.
    https://fit2fence.blogspot.com/

Thanks for posting the programmes. I didn't realise Simple and Sinister led to the Rite of Passage. Might try Rite if Passage next. Pressing half bodyweight with one hand would be impressive!

Big fan of the 10k and have been trying to get 500 swings in every day since we were not allowed to got to the gym.

For those looking, strength shop can get you higher weight kettle bells on the 5th of May.

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/kettlebells.html

Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    Big fan of the 10k and have been trying to get 500 swings in every day since we were not allowed to got to the gym.

For those looking, strength shop can get you higher weight kettle bells on the 5th of May.

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/kettlebells.html
    Annoying they don't have a 40kg competition kettlebell! I do like Strength Shop though.

Craftsman
    500 swings. Ok, I feel like I'm massively undergoing it. Do you do it everyday? I'm very new to weight training and have been doing the following everyday back to back. With maybe 30 seconds shadow boxing in-between each exercise. 5 Turkish getups each side. 30 one handed swings each arm (so 60 swings in total ). 10 cleans each side. 10 press each side.

Is this pathetically underdoing it? I've done this everyday for the last week. I feel like this is a routine I could do everyday and am supplementing it with a couple rounds of shadow boxing each day. And at least 30 mins of hard rounds on a heavy bag once a week.

Am I wasting my time do such comparitavly low reps?