closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The Kettlebell thread

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Ouch! What were you doing to hurt your elbows?
    Was a fitness test v time, the parts that involved elbows just 100 burpees, and 100 from ground press ups (other work with sandbags/ tyres that sort of stuff was part of the previous few weeks). Didn't hurt at the time but next day joints/tendons went ballistic, and then shut down for C19 so no chance to get them checked and later subsequent pain in knees and joints in general so presume arthritis kicking. Everything else settled but one elbow is screwed, had text from GP saying "we busy only see us if urgent" only last week

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Was a fitness test v time, the parts that involved elbows just 100 burpees, and 100 from ground press ups (other work with sandbags/ tyres that sort of stuff was part of the previous few weeks). Didn't hurt at the time but next day joints/tendons went ballistic, and then shut down for C19 so no chance to get them checked and later subsequent pain in knees and joints in general so presume arthritis kicking. Everything else settled but one elbow is screwed, had text from GP saying "we busy only see us if urgent" only last week
    Should have stuck with kettlebells!

Burpees, just say no.

Just bought my wife the Bowflex 840 adjustable kettle bell for her birthday! With one one eye on using it myself. Anyone else got any experience of using one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mappa View Post
    Just bought my wife the Bowflex 840 adjustable kettle bell for her birthday! With one one eye on using it myself. Anyone else got any experience of using one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Congratulations, I’ve never used an adjustable Kettlebell. But the principals must be the same!. Squat, hinge, push, pull, carry.
    What are you planning to do with it?

Master
    Timeless Simple - Done it almost one year from starting the Simple and Sinister program.
    10x10 one hand swings and 5 (left/right) Turkish get ups with the 32kg kettlebell.
    ?Now to work on getting the rest periods shorter, and at the same time try to start with the 36kg, which is half my bodyweight.
    ?But first, I’m having a rest.

I'm intrigued by this thread and by Kettlebell training. I'm 49 and have decided to be 50 and fit so a new regime is on the horizon. I'll read this thread with interest as I know nowt about it. I'll also use some YouTube videos for research.

Any tips for a beginner would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I'm intrigued by this thread and by Kettlebell training. I'm 49 and have decided to be 50 and fit so a new regime is on the horizon. I'll read this thread with interest as I know nowt about it. I'll also use some YouTube videos for research.

TIA.
    Age is no barrier, for reference I’m 52.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

TIA.
    I went with the programme from Greg Brookes; although naturally kettlebell focus it builds from bodyweight only and focus on technique to avoid injury- really stresses break days etc i.e. really well balanced. Go light to start with and focus on technique as other than a minor tweak to the knee due to my poor form it really is a great approach and focus on short but high quality workouts.

I wish I'd just stuck with that as was working rather than do HIT outside which has left longterm injuries, limiting to painful lifting of the kettle to make tea . Go for kettles and if have any injuries/ issues before starting or during Gary is responsive too.

Thanks for this. I've been watching Greg Brookes YT vids for beginners and have taken the plunge today and bought my first kettlebell. I went for a 10kg bell to get started with.

I'll report progress in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    I went with the programme from Greg Brookes; although naturally kettlebell focus it builds from bodyweight only and focus on technique to avoid injury- really stresses break days etc i.e. really well balanced. Go light to start with and focus on technique as other than a minor tweak to the knee due to my poor form it really is a great approach and focus on short but high quality workouts.

I wish I'd just stuck with that as was working rather than do HIT outside which has left longterm injuries, limiting to painful lifting of the kettle to make tea . Go for kettles and if have any injuries/ issues before starting or during Gary is responsive too.

Master
    Thanks for this. I've been watching Greg Brookes YT vids for beginners and have taken the plunge today and bought my first kettlebell. I went for a 10kg bell to get started with.

I'll report progress in a while.
    If you go to the first post of this thread there's many links.

Greg Brookes is how I started out, really good clear instructions. Just take your time and don't rush. My first KB was 16kg, it was too heavy, I went back and got a 12kg. Don't be surprised if you end up buying more as you progress.

My temptation is always to want to rush it so I'll be mindful to take my time. It's why I never took up golf as I'd need to be excellent from day one!

I ordered a 16kg bell and when I went to collect it quickly realised it was ridiculously heavy. I exchanged it for a 10kg and it's still challenging enough.

If you go to the first post of this thread there's many links.

Greg Brookes is how I started out, really good clear instructions. Just take your time and don't rush. My first KB was 16kg, it was too heavy, I went back and got a 12kg. Don't be surprised if you end up buying more as you progress.

I paid for the programme from Greg when he had an offer on, it really is worth it to stop you being bored but also to spread the workout/ give structure to maximise benefit and minimise injury...and stress recovery is as important as doing the work.

Master
    Still following the Simple and Sinister program.

Managed one Turkish get up with my new 36kg kettlebell (half my body weight) today for the first time. Felt OK.

Trying to reduce the rest times between swings and the get ups to hopefully get to Timed Simple level.

Still following the Simple and Sinister program.

Managed one Turkish get up with my new 36kg kettlebell (half my body weight) today for the first time. Felt OK.

Trying to reduce the rest times between swings and the get ups to hopefully get to Timed Simple level.
    Impressive, well done!

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Impressive, well done!

Cheers, it was an odd thing really. Came home from Yoga, had a coffee, started KB practice as normal but felt strong, so went for it. Yoga had been "hip openers" , my least favorite if I'm honest, but in retrospect I do wonder if that had helped!

How's your training going?

Cheers, it was an odd thing really. Came home from Yoga, had a coffee, started KB practice as normal but felt strong, so went for it. Yoga had been "hip openers" , my least favorite if I'm honest, but in retrospect I do wonder if that had helped!

How's your training going?
    Impressive after yoga too!

I'm doing double kettlebell work, just started the Kettlebell Strong! programme, will stick with it to see what effect it has. Trying not to over do it otherwise as you're supposed to rest while doing it, but I'm still doing get ups of course and pilates.

Journeyman
    New to kettle bells and my wife and I want to give them a go.

Looking at getting an adjustable one but nothing too expensive

This any good?

https://isogym.co.uk/products/isogym...ble-kettlebell

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigup View Post
    New to kettle bells and my wife and I want to give them a go.

Looking at getting an adjustable one but nothing too expensive

This any good?

https://isogym.co.uk/products/isogym...ble-kettlebell
    Max weight is 18kg? Just be aware ave males would be advised to start with 16kg, so you could out grow that kettlebell quickly.

Master
    How's your kettlebell training going?

I've had to change programs. Slight issue with one knee during the Turkish get ups, nothing too bad (I think), but the get ups are not helping at all. After doing Simple and sinister for over a year I decided to switch out to another program. First thought was back to Rite of Passage as I've done that before with good results, so the last few weeks I've been doing that. But slowly I remembered that as the program goes on the volume ramps up and the heavy day session is very long (hour +).

So I'm going to try Fabio's Simple strength for difficult times. Any tips @mindforge?

How's your kettlebell training going?

I've had to change programs. Slight issue with one knee during the Turkish get ups, nothing too bad (I think), but the get ups are not helping at all. After doing Simple and sinister for over a year I decided to switch out to another program. First thought was back to Rite of Passage as I've done that before with good results, so the last few weeks I've been doing that. But slowly I remembered that as the program goes on the volume ramps up and the heavy day session is very long (hour +).

So I'm going to try Fabio's Simple strength for difficult times. Any tips @mindforge?
    Simple Strength for Difficult Times is fantastic, I achieved real progress with it. I recommend starting straight away with Part 2 as it has more clever programming, with waved loads etc. You get the gratification of testing yourself now and at the end to see what your progress has been like! Let us know how it goes.

I'm doing Kettlebell Strong! by Geoff Neupert at the moment, really like double kettlebell training, taxing on the system.

Master
    Simple Strength for Difficult Times is fantastic, I achieved real progress with it. I recommend starting straight away with Part 2 as it has more clever programming, with waved loads etc. You get the gratification of testing yourself now and at the end to see what your progress has been like! Let us know how it goes.

I'm doing Kettlebell Strong! by Geoff Neupert at the moment, really like double kettlebell training, taxing on the system.

Ha ha I’ve just printed the sheets for part 1 off!
    I did consider going straight in to part 2, but decided to go gently as I don’t regularly squat or row, so I’ll let my body and central nervous system get used to the new movements.

Ive read nothing but good reviews about Geoff’s programs, doubles seems the way to go for building mass.

Ha ha I’ve just printed the sheets for part 1 off!
    I did consider going straight in to part 2, but decided to go gently as I don’t regularly squat or row, so I’ll let my body and central nervous system get used to the new movements.

Ive read nothing but good reviews about Geoff’s programs, doubles seems the way to go for building mass.
    Ah well definitely no harm in starting with part 1, I made really good progress with that too. Looking forward to finding out how you get on.

Master
    Ah well definitely no harm in starting with part 1, I made really good progress with that too. Looking forward to finding out how you get on.

So far so good. Only two sessions in and enjoying the simplicity.
    I’m working with 28kg for squat (least favourite movement), 20kg shoulder press and 28kg bent over row (new movement for me, normally would do pull ups).
    Interesting that the day after the first session a suffered mild DOMS of the abs!
    Any extra sessions I’m doing simple and sinister, but light KB.
    Still practicing yoga 2 to 4 times a week.

So far so good. Only two sessions in and enjoying the simplicity.
    I’m working with 28kg for squat (least favourite movement), 20kg shoulder press and 28kg bent over row (new movement for me, normally would do pull ups).
    Interesting that the day after the first session a suffered mild DOMS of the abs!
    Any extra sessions I’m doing simple and sinister, but light KB.
    Still practicing yoga 2 to 4 times a week.
    Nice! Goblet squats or offset single kettlebell squats?

Master
    Nice! Goblet squats or offset single kettlebell squats?

Single 28kg Goblet, my knees have never liked squats, and I find the goblet not comfortable really. Hmmm you’ve given me an idea, I may replace with 12 + 16kg in cleaned position. I wonder if Dan John would forgive me ! (He invented the goblet squat).

Single 28kg Goblet, my knees have never liked squats, and I find the goblet not comfortable really. Hmmm you’ve given me an idea, I may replace with 12 + 16kg in cleaned position. I wonder if Dan John would forgive me ! (He invented the goblet squat).
    As Pavel says, goblet squat is the squat for the people and certainly the squat for people who don't like squats. You could try lunges but squats are important!

Master
    As Pavel says, goblet squat is the squat for the people and certainly the squat for people who don't like squats. You could try lunges but squats are important!

I think I've solved my squatting issue. Now using a small table to stop me squatting too low (too low for me), it would appear my knees don't like deep squats.

Already starting looking at the Pt2 program, getting my head around it. I see in the comments section of the blog post someone posted a link to a google doc which you can save, it's perfect. You can enter all the details into the doc and it lays it out week by week for you.

I think I've solved my squatting issue. Now using a small table to stop me squatting too low (too low for me), it would appear my knees don't like deep squats.

Already starting looking at the Pt2 program, getting my head around it. I see in the comments section of the blog post someone posted a link to a google doc which you can save, it's perfect. You can enter all the details into the doc and it lays it out week by week for you.
    Yup, that's the one, I used that. Good luck! What exercises are you doing?

Master
    Yup, that's the one, I used that. Good luck! What exercises are you doing?

Goblet squat with different KG for high, medium, low.
    Same for shoulder press, just going to vary the weight.
    Then for back I was thinking kettlebell bent row for heavy, bodyweight pull ups for medium and TRX row for light.

What did you use?

Goblet squat with different KG for high, medium, low.
    Same for shoulder press, just going to vary the weight.
    Then for back I was thinking kettlebell bent row for heavy, bodyweight pull ups for medium and TRX row for light.

What did you use?
    Sounds good.

Used double kettlebells (unequal) for squats, different sized kettlebells for press and then pullups with different kettlebells on a chain for back.

Master
    Sounds good.

Used double kettlebells (unequal) for squats, different sized kettlebells for press and then pullups with different kettlebells on a chain for back.

Ah yes I could use unequal doubles for squats, I keep forgetting that one! I guess also could use Bulgarian split squats too as an alternative. Thinking about it, I could also use bodyweight press ups for "low" pressing. I know it's not the same as shoulder press, but I like the idea of slightly different movements.

I've also being trying to do heavy 2 hand swings, 7 OMEM for 15 minutes maybe once or twice in the week, or swings and Turkish gets ups as per simple and sinister.

Ah yes I could use unequal doubles for squats, I keep forgetting that one! I guess also could use Bulgarian split squats too as an alternative. Thinking about it, I could also use bodyweight press ups for "low" pressing. I know it's not the same as shoulder press, but I like the idea of slightly different movements.

I've also being trying to do heavy 2 hand swings, 7 OMEM for 15 minutes maybe once or twice in the week, or swings and Turkish gets ups as per simple and sinister.
    Great. Yes unequal doubles are supposed to be more challenging for the core and more like real life movements as you're rarely balanced. I like heavy one handed swings for the same reason and have been doing double kettlebell swings too, so that's challenging!

Master
    Great. Yes unequal doubles are supposed to be more challenging for the core and more like real life movements as you're rarely balanced. I like heavy one handed swings for the same reason and have been doing double kettlebell swings too, so that's challenging!

I used unequal doubles. Definitely doable. I just found racking got tricky as the weight went up.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I used unequal doubles. Definitely doable. I just found racking got tricky as the weight went up.
    Oh yes, and making sure you come up straight despite the unequal weights. I refuse to buy two of the same weight - just ordered a 36kg to bridge the gap between the 32kg and the 40kg.

Master
    Finished week 5 (off 8) last night. Starting week 6 Thursday eve, and this will be the big volume peak week!

Although intense and hard work, I'm enjoying the simplicity of this program.

Finished week 5 (off 8) last night. Starting week 6 Thursday eve, and this will be the big volume peak week!

Although intense and hard work, I'm enjoying the simplicity of this program.
    Great, you'll definitely see the results by the end and be able to reprogram accordingly.

Not kettlebells but I've found a great exercise for the core - the L sit, look it up. Can only do 15 seconds at the moment but worth working on!

Master
    Coming to the end of the program, I’ll post full results when completed.
    So Thought I’d try a session of another program, see what it’s like.

24kg two hand swings.
    25 swings, 1 push up, small rest.
    25 swings, 2 push up, small rest.
    25 swings, 3 push up, small rest.
    25 swings, rest 3 minutes.
    Repeat 5 times.
    Totals 500 swings, 30 push ups.
    Harder than I thought. In fact the last cluster I dropped to sets of 20 swings.
    See how much I ache later.

Looks tough!

I'm doing this programme as the opening sentence describes me perfectly. Will be interesting to see if it works. Still doing swings and get ups.

https://www.strongfirst.com/training...tlebell-press/

Master
    I'm doing Swingtober from the Dan John forum. At least 50 swings per day for the month of October. I also have a regular home workout Tuesday and Thursday - Swings, dumbbell thrusters and pullups - and the gym on a Saturday.

Master
    Looks tough!

I'm doing this programme as the opening sentence describes me perfectly. Will be interesting to see if it works. Still doing swings and get ups.

https://www.strongfirst.com/training...tlebell-press/

It appears I over did it Sunday. Had DOMS yesterday, went to yoga in the evening, teacher put on a really harsh class, now I ache even more. Maybe the 10k isn't for me. Having the DOMS yesterday spoilt my yoga class for me. No point doing a session that will effect other classes/activities etc.

Half body weight press, that's a major goal. Hope the program works well for you.

It appears I over did it Sunday. Had DOMS yesterday, went to yoga in the evening, teacher put on a really harsh class, now I ache even more. Maybe the 10k isn't for me. Having the DOMS yesterday spoilt my yoga class for me. No point doing a session that will effect other classes/activities etc.

Half body weight press, that's a major goal. Hope the program works well for you.
    Yup that swing thing sounded brutal! Thanks.

Master
    I'm doing Swingtober from the Dan John forum. At least 50 swings per day for the month of October. I also have a regular home workout Tuesday and Thursday - Swings, dumbbell thrusters and pullups - and the gym on a Saturday.
    50 swings sounds more reasonable than 500!.

Master
    50 swings sounds more reasonable than 500!.
    I did the 10K swing challenge a number of years ago. I won't be doing that one again. Great for locking down the form on the swing but also great for DOMS, achy back and torn calluses. :)

Master
    I did the 10K swing challenge a number of years ago. I won't be doing that one again. Great for locking down the form on the swing but also great for DOMS, achy back and torn calluses. :)
    Yep, a timely reminder that I'm 50+

I never fancied trying the 10k swing challenge. I am enjoying double kettlebell swings though, can use a lot of weight that way.

Master
    After eight weeks I’ve come to the end of the Fabio Zonin program “Easy strength for difficult times” found on the Strong First website.

I practiced the following movements. Goblet squat, shoulder press and single arm row.
    The number of reps possible with good form were:
    Squat start @28kg 10 reps
    Squat finish @28kg 19 reps
    Shoulder Press start @20kg Left 7, Right 8 reps
    Shoulder Press finish @20kg Left 12, Right 13 reps
    Row start @28kg Left 8, Right 9 reps
    Row finish @28kg Left 13, Right 14 reps

Squat – I don’t get on well with squats, never have done. I find them awkward and difficult to practice. Half way through the program I had some knee issues. So for two weeks I had to back off. I could have gone heavier but went at 28kg playing safe.
    Shoulder press – To be honest I should have gone in at 16kg. But my 16kg kettlebell isn’t a good style/shape, so I went for 20kg.
    Row – Not a movement I have regularly practiced before. I took a least two weeks to get used to. But out of the three movements this was the one I felt I had the best results from.

What next? I’ll be witching back to simple and sinister for a little while. Then I’ll either run this again with higher weights or try Fabios second program.

Impressive improvements! You could probably run the program again but I'd do part 2 as the waving of the load and reps is more clever, I did it several times before I stopped progressing.

Master
    Impressive improvements! You could probably run the program again but I'd do part 2 as the waving of the load and reps is more clever, I did it several times before I stopped progressing.

Cheers, I knew it would work from your experience! I was re reading part two last night. It's starting to grow on me now. I like the idea off slightly different movements for high, medium and low. I'm going to have to hold off for a couple of weeks, give my body a rest, and we have some work/DIY stuff coming up at home so my free time will be difficult to plan. Switching back to simple and sinister is default mode for me. No planning required, just fit it in when I can.

Master
    How we all doing?

I've been coasting along following simple and sinister for weeks. Started adding push ups, pull ups and loaded carries which was fun. But once again I felt my left knee start playing up after some heavy get ups.
    Just before Christmas I won a kettlebell on Instagram! Now I have 2x20kg.
    Now running Dry fighting weight with double 20kgs.
    https://www.strongfirst.com/dry-fighting-weight/
    On the second week (of 5) and really like it. May have to buy another 24kg next.

Master
    I'm back in the gym so not really using KB's at the moment. That said, I do like the look of the Dry fighting Weight program and happen to have two 20's. Maybe one for the spring.