closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The Kettlebell thread

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Ouch! What were you doing to hurt your elbows?
    Was a fitness test v time, the parts that involved elbows just 100 burpees, and 100 from ground press ups (other work with sandbags/ tyres that sort of stuff was part of the previous few weeks). Didn't hurt at the time but next day joints/tendons went ballistic, and then shut down for C19 so no chance to get them checked and later subsequent pain in knees and joints in general so presume arthritis kicking. Everything else settled but one elbow is screwed, had text from GP saying "we busy only see us if urgent" only last week

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Was a fitness test v time, the parts that involved elbows just 100 burpees, and 100 from ground press ups (other work with sandbags/ tyres that sort of stuff was part of the previous few weeks). Didn't hurt at the time but next day joints/tendons went ballistic, and then shut down for C19 so no chance to get them checked and later subsequent pain in knees and joints in general so presume arthritis kicking. Everything else settled but one elbow is screwed, had text from GP saying "we busy only see us if urgent" only last week
    Should have stuck with kettlebells!

Burpees, just say no.

Just bought my wife the Bowflex 840 adjustable kettle bell for her birthday! With one one eye on using it myself. Anyone else got any experience of using one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mappa View Post
    Just bought my wife the Bowflex 840 adjustable kettle bell for her birthday! With one one eye on using it myself. Anyone else got any experience of using one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Congratulations, Iíve never used an adjustable Kettlebell. But the principals must be the same!. Squat, hinge, push, pull, carry.
    What are you planning to do with it?

Craftsman
    Timeless Simple - Done it almost one year from starting the Simple and Sinister program.
    10x10 one hand swings and 5 (left/right) Turkish get ups with the 32kg kettlebell.
    ?Now to work on getting the rest periods shorter, and at the same time try to start with the 36kg, which is half my bodyweight.
    ?But first, Iím having a rest.

Grand Master
    I'm intrigued by this thread and by Kettlebell training. I'm 49 and have decided to be 50 and fit so a new regime is on the horizon. I'll read this thread with interest as I know nowt about it. I'll also use some YouTube videos for research.

Any tips for a beginner would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I'm intrigued by this thread and by Kettlebell training. I'm 49 and have decided to be 50 and fit so a new regime is on the horizon. I'll read this thread with interest as I know nowt about it. I'll also use some YouTube videos for research.

TIA.
    Age is no barrier, for reference Iím 52.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

TIA.
    I went with the programme from Greg Brookes; although naturally kettlebell focus it builds from bodyweight only and focus on technique to avoid injury- really stresses break days etc i.e. really well balanced. Go light to start with and focus on technique as other than a minor tweak to the knee due to my poor form it really is a great approach and focus on short but high quality workouts.

I wish I'd just stuck with that as was working rather than do HIT outside which has left longterm injuries, limiting to painful lifting of the kettle to make tea . Go for kettles and if have any injuries/ issues before starting or during Gary is responsive too.

Grand Master
    Thanks for this. I've been watching Greg Brookes YT vids for beginners and have taken the plunge today and bought my first kettlebell. I went for a 10kg bell to get started with.

I'll report progress in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    I went with the programme from Greg Brookes; although naturally kettlebell focus it builds from bodyweight only and focus on technique to avoid injury- really stresses break days etc i.e. really well balanced. Go light to start with and focus on technique as other than a minor tweak to the knee due to my poor form it really is a great approach and focus on short but high quality workouts.

I wish I'd just stuck with that as was working rather than do HIT outside which has left longterm injuries, limiting to painful lifting of the kettle to make tea . Go for kettles and if have any injuries/ issues before starting or during Gary is responsive too.

Craftsman
    Thanks for this. I've been watching Greg Brookes YT vids for beginners and have taken the plunge today and bought my first kettlebell. I went for a 10kg bell to get started with.

I'll report progress in a while.
    If you go to the first post of this thread there's many links.

Greg Brookes is how I started out, really good clear instructions. Just take your time and don't rush. My first KB was 16kg, it was too heavy, I went back and got a 12kg. Don't be surprised if you end up buying more as you progress.

Grand Master
    My temptation is always to want to rush it so I'll be mindful to take my time. It's why I never took up golf as I'd need to be excellent from day one!

I ordered a 16kg bell and when I went to collect it quickly realised it was ridiculously heavy. I exchanged it for a 10kg and it's still challenging enough.

If you go to the first post of this thread there's many links.

Greg Brookes is how I started out, really good clear instructions. Just take your time and don't rush. My first KB was 16kg, it was too heavy, I went back and got a 12kg. Don't be surprised if you end up buying more as you progress.

I paid for the programme from Greg when he had an offer on, it really is worth it to stop you being bored but also to spread the workout/ give structure to maximise benefit and minimise injury...and stress recovery is as important as doing the work.

Craftsman
    Still following the Simple and Sinister program.

Managed one Turkish get up with my new 36kg kettlebell (half my body weight) today for the first time. Felt OK.

Trying to reduce the rest times between swings and the get ups to hopefully get to Timed Simple level.

Still following the Simple and Sinister program.

Managed one Turkish get up with my new 36kg kettlebell (half my body weight) today for the first time. Felt OK.

Trying to reduce the rest times between swings and the get ups to hopefully get to Timed Simple level.
    Impressive, well done!

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Impressive, well done!

Cheers, it was an odd thing really. Came home from Yoga, had a coffee, started KB practice as normal but felt strong, so went for it. Yoga had been "hip openers" , my least favorite if I'm honest, but in retrospect I do wonder if that had helped!

How's your training going?

Cheers, it was an odd thing really. Came home from Yoga, had a coffee, started KB practice as normal but felt strong, so went for it. Yoga had been "hip openers" , my least favorite if I'm honest, but in retrospect I do wonder if that had helped!

How's your training going?
    Impressive after yoga too!

I'm doing double kettlebell work, just started the Kettlebell Strong! programme, will stick with it to see what effect it has. Trying not to over do it otherwise as you're supposed to rest while doing it, but I'm still doing get ups of course and pilates.

Journeyman
    New to kettle bells and my wife and I want to give them a go.

Looking at getting an adjustable one but nothing too expensive

This any good?

https://isogym.co.uk/products/isogym...ble-kettlebell

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigup View Post
    New to kettle bells and my wife and I want to give them a go.

Looking at getting an adjustable one but nothing too expensive

This any good?

https://isogym.co.uk/products/isogym...ble-kettlebell
    Max weight is 18kg? Just be aware ave males would be advised to start with 16kg, so you could out grow that kettlebell quickly.