closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peloton any one tried it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    This gets said a lot as a reply - but the irony of such comments on a forum where people spend thousands on watches and some thousands OVER RRP.

Using the phone analogy again - you buy a phone and pay monthly for a service. You pay for the technology to provide you with the service.
    To offer a different view, you buy an unlocked iPhone and you can use it with any service provider it’s not tied to one.
    If you decide you want to end the contract you move to another provider or simply use WiFi only.

As said earlier home cycling and spinning isn’t my bag, but reading these posts reminded me of this review that might be of interest to some, it’s focused on ‘smart’ trainers for use trainerroad, zwift or sufferfest but I presume they could also be used for spinning should anyone want variety.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/10/...cxneobike.html

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    To offer a different view, you buy an unlocked iPhone and you can use it with any service provider it’s not tied to one.
    If you decide you want to end the contract you move to another provider or simply use WiFi only.
    [/url]
    OK, fair comment

But you DO have a choice - that's what I'm saying. You don't 'have' to buy this. Nordicktrack, Echelon both do smart bikes. Wattbike (which I very nearly bought instead), Kickr, others that use Zwift.

I used the phone analogy as I have an iphone. Totally locked in to Apple. Same kind of thing. People criticise how much that costs - but for many it's a fantastic option. As is this.

And as for locked in - you can hack the unit if you want (so like jailbreaking an iphone). I don't see the need - but after all it's just a big android tablet.

Anyway, for me, this is a fantastic bit of kit - also not an alternative. Alongside my gym membership and my mountain bikes, it's a monthly spend I'm happy to pay. I was interested to see how I did in the summer months (when I want to be out on the MTB more) but at the moment, that may be a bit of a dream!
    As I said, great it works for you, but I need to correct some things you mention here.

Apple is not locked. You have choice - e.g. you do not have to use apple music but can use a third party solution such as Spotify and Tidal. Apple initially argued against third party apps because of 'quality'. There are still issues with Apple trying to push you to their own solutions, but you have to offer choice. The whole locked aspect is a myth IMO.

So you see, software openness is the vital aspect. You are totally locked to the Peloton platform - you have to use their own trainers and thus forced to pay their subscription fee. If they allowed third party choice via their platform without forcing to pay a monthly fee, I'd look at them more favourably.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    As I said, great it works for you, but I need to correct some things you mention here.

Apple is not locked. You have choice - e.g. you do not have to use apple music but can use a third party solution such as Spotify and Tidal. Apple initially argued against third party apps because of 'quality'. There are still issues with Apple trying to push you to their own solutions, but you have to offer choice. The whole locked aspect is a myth IMO.

So you see, software openness is the vital aspect. You are totally locked to the Peloton platform - you have to use their own trainers and thus forced to pay their subscription fee. If they allowed third party choice via their platform without forcing to pay a monthly fee, I'd look at them more favourably.
    We're obviously never going to agree here but I take on board your correction/explanation.

No horse in this race as I row indoors and cycle outside. But was having a poke around the Peloton sit out of idle curiosity and saw the following:

” I purchased my Bike on a financing plan before 06/02/2020 and my agreement states that my purchase is subject to 18.9% APR, is this true?
    Our financing product has recently changed. If you purchased the Bike on or before 06/02/2020, your balance is subject to 18.9% APR if you miss payments or choose to pay the minimum payment. To avoid missing payments, you can set up automatic recurring payments via the Klarna App or web portal.”

Struck me as a bit shoddy to say pre Corvid-19 lockdown customers tough, post you can have interest free credit to help boot sales even more.
    Even a gesture of offering the all access to interest paying customers would be a nice gesture.
    Offers from banks or retailers always changing, not usually back-dated.

I tried a Peloton bike in a hotel in Seattle a few months ago, hotels - remember them?!

The bike was good and so was the experience but the locked in nature as others have said would put me off a bit. The DC Rainmaker reviews of equivalent more open bikes are good but the prices are pretty eye watering !.

I have an old "Spin Bike" branded on bought off the forum a good number of years ago. It does the job and I use apps like MotionTraxx of Youtube spin classes and have not had any burning desire to fork out £1500++

I do have a rower and cross trainer and run a lot so do really need the motivation of classes and need to actually use the thing to justify the expentiture.

I know other people do struggle to get the motivation so can see where they have an advantage.

Master
    Sorry but that’s such a lazy comment (expensive clothes horse) - up there with ‘just go to the gym’. People who have replied on here have said how much they are being used. If people spend that amount of money on one and don’t use them then the system isn’t the right one for them.

You’re obviously not the target market. Why do you need to put TV or another cycling app on something that has a USP is immersive training through its own app/setup. The whole use of Peloton is the interactive nature of stats, live feedback, visible training. Put TV on and you aren’t using or having a need for Peloton. Hence the not the target market comment.

£39 a month for 20+ classes (in my own example) is great value. I based my initial class on using it 13 times a month minimum seeing each class as £3 each. As I’ve said I use it a lot. And if I could hook up TV or another app. I wouldn’t. I’d have bought something else.

In fact it's like saying you want to buy an iphone but won't because you can't put Android on it.
    The comment of it being an expensive clothes horse isn't a lazy one because the stuff you are paying the substantial extra cost for in the hardware becomes redundant if you no longer wish to pay the monthlies.

The comparison with an iPhone is the lazy one. An iPhone doesn't only let you go on Apple's website or only download Apple apps. There is sufficient flexibility in it that even if Apple or your mobile network disappeared tomorrow (which is a lot more likely for Peloton than Apple), you still have something that is vaguely fit for purpose.

Journeyman
    Agreeing with Senwar here. If you enjoy exercising and have a competitive nature theres more than enough content within the peloton program/community to keep you busy, without the need for putting on any other content. The bike itself is not a flimsy cheapo one and is a substantial piece of equipment if just used as a regular spin bike.

I use it to suppliment exercise when I'm not doing spin classes and weights in the gym. However, i'm sure I'll get my use out of it with the current situation. Both my wife and kids use it as well so the £40 per month split between all of us isnt too bad.

Its the same as any piece of home gym equipment - if you use it you've spent your money well, if you hang clothes on it then you've wasted your money. Its just a matter of what works for you.

On a side note Senwar was on the same 'on demand' class as myself a couple of days ago and just beat my output and mileage. I'll be pushing harder next time to beat him. 👍😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roth1 View Post
    Agreeing with Senwar here. If you enjoy exercising and have a competitive nature theres more than enough content within the peloton program/community to keep you busy, without the need for putting on any other content. The bike itself is not a flimsy cheapo one and is a substantial piece of equipment if just used as a regular spin bike.

I use it to suppliment exercise when I'm not doing spin classes and weights in the gym. However, i'm sure I'll get my use out of it with the current situation. Both my wife and kids use it as well so the £40 per month split between all of us isnt too bad.

Its the same as any piece of home gym equipment - if you use it you've spent your money well, if you hang clothes on it then you've wasted your money. Its just a matter of what works for you.

On a side note Senwar was on the same 'on demand' class as myself a couple of days ago and just beat my output and mileage. I'll be pushing harder next time to beat him. 

Just to be clear, I did say that it becomes an expensive clothes horse IF you stop paying the £40 a month. Clearly as with anything more expensive than a real clothes horse, if you simply don’t use it for whatever reason, that’s an ”expensive clothes horse”. But what if your tastes change and you want a different streamed spinning experience or, god forbid, you fancy getting a bit of exercise in once in while that doesn’t involve having to beat Senwar, and you just want to watch the footie? Are we really saying the thing is better for not having the flexibility to do these things? Seems odd, but whatever...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Just to be clear, I did say that it becomes an expensive clothes horse IF you stop paying the £40 a month. Clearly as with anything more expensive than a real clothes horse, if you simply don’t use it for whatever reason, that’s an ”expensive clothes horse”. But what if your tastes change and you want a different streamed spinning experience or, god forbid, you fancy getting a bit of exercise in once in while that doesn’t involve having to beat Senwar, and you just want to watch the footie? Are we really saying the thing is better for not having the flexibility to do these things? Seems odd, but whatever...
    The pedals don't freeze if you dont pay the £40/month. You lose access to the screen outputs, classes etc but you are more than welcome to still ride it while changing the resistance. If you were really keen you could do some youtube videos on a tablet fixed to the screen or watch a TV on the wall in front of you.

As I said before in the thread, it's not for me at the price point (in normal times). But it is an excellent bit of kit which I'd really enjoy having during these times!

Journeyman
    I watch the footy on the tv. Go the gym for weights and spin classes. Use the peloton for peloton classes. Each to their own I suppose.
    Good luck with whatever exercise you can get in these days but much much more important things happening in the world.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    The pedals don't freeze if you dont pay the £40/month. You lose access to the screen outputs, classes etc but you are more than welcome to still ride it while changing the resistance. If you were really keen you could do some youtube videos on a tablet fixed to the screen or watch a TV on the wall in front of you.

As I said before in the thread, it's not for me at the price point (in normal times). But it is an excellent bit of kit which I'd really enjoy having during these times!
    I completely agree that it seems like a great piece of kit (bar my one issue). But would you agree that it would be better if the solution to the loss of Peloton content (either self imposed or otherwise) was not just staring at the wall or having to involve (at cost) an additional piece of technology when it could so easily be set up otherwise?

The comment of it being an expensive clothes horse isn't a lazy one because the stuff you are paying the substantial extra cost for in the hardware becomes redundant if you no longer wish to pay the monthlies.

The comparison with an iPhone is the lazy one. An iPhone doesn't only let you go on Apple's website or only download Apple apps. There is sufficient flexibility in it that even if Apple or your mobile network disappeared tomorrow (which is a lot more likely for Peloton than Apple), you still have something that is vaguely fit for purpose.
    The hardware doesn't become redundant. It's still a spin bike whether you pay £39 a month or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Roth1 View Post
    On a side note Senwar was on the same 'on demand' class as myself a couple of days ago and just beat my output and mileage. I'll be pushing harder next time to beat him. 
    Ha - nice one - I won't lie I did push myself that little bit extra at the end when I saw I was close. lol.

I suspect when people stop paying, they probably sell the bike as there is a used market for these. And to be honest, the beating others or even just seeing how close you can get to some is one of the USP's. I enjoy beating my own scores (it shows your best alongside your current) so pushes you. Your tastes change? Cancel - and either tweak the tablet (as by then you won't be fussed re: warranty) and use it for whatever you want or sell. Below shows youtube on a Peloton. As I say earlier, it's only an Android tablet (not mine below)

Absolutely understand it's not for everyone. But I don't feel people who buy these do it lightly. I've had spin bikes at home before and used frequently for a couple of months then stopped as much. This, I look forward to going on it. Current usage basically means its cost me about £18 per class (that's 5x £39 and the bike, which cost me about £1850 after discounts from Peloton themselves and included shoes, cleats, mat, headphones and weights. Continue the same usage pattern this year and it's £9 per class. Not cheap, but that's just based on using the bike alone. I also do their streamed classes on treadmills and cardio which reduces the cost even further.

One day I'll be done with it no doubt. But until then, be it my choice or the company goes, I'll continue to enjoy what it gives me along with tens/hundreds of thousands of others.

Don't get me wrong, I get what you are saying - and this restricts your interest. But personally, if I had the option to watch TV, youtube, netflix etc, I wouldn't. Appreciate others would but then I'd just say there's probably better, cheaper options to do that.

Master
    No horse in this race as I row indoors and cycle outside. But was having a poke around the Peloton sit out of idle curiosity and saw the following:

” I purchased my Bike on a financing plan before 06/02/2020 and my agreement states that my purchase is subject to 18.9% APR, is this true?
    Our financing product has recently changed. If you purchased the Bike on or before 06/02/2020, your balance is subject to 18.9% APR if you miss payments or choose to pay the minimum payment. To avoid missing payments, you can set up automatic recurring payments via the Klarna App or web portal.”

Struck me as a bit shoddy to say pre Corvid-19 lockdown customers tough, post you can have interest free credit to help boot sales even more.
    Even a gesture of offering the all access to interest paying customers would be a nice gesture.

So the interest rate only applied if you miss the payment or pay the minimum payment - like a credit card balance. I assuming most would have planned to make the required payments on time and avoid that rate. Although given current situation some may struggle to pay now i guess.

Won't be trying it, any product that needs such heavy advertising tends to fall off my radar very quickly.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    So the interest rate only applied if you miss the payment or pay the minimum payment - like a credit card balance. I assuming most would have planned to make the required payments on time and avoid that rate. Although given current situation some may struggle to pay now i guess.
    Not how I’ve interpreted it. It seems they were charging 18+% apr until early feb.

https://www.onepeloton.co.uk/bike/financing

Look at he faq’s for the context.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Won't be trying it, any product that needs such heavy advertising tends to fall off my radar very quickly.
    +1. They can't even pronounce it properly!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Not how I’ve interpreted it. It seems they were charging 18+% apr until early feb.

https://www.onepeloton.co.uk/bike/financing

Look at he faq’s for the context.
    It was definitely 0% when I bought in October for November delivery (didn't use it myself). I think the FAQ question/answer is confusing as just seems to relate to missed payments or paying a minimum

Craftsman
    I have a gym quality spin bike and is use my i pad on the handlebars to train using the GCN videos on youtube and have done for a good few years . I cycle several times a week and have done spinning for circa 20 years both in and out of gyms . The wife was my then spin instructor oddly and we have a treadmill which is tedious which she cannot cope with either .
    I tend to have the earbuds in and hameer the bike with something on the TV screen on the TV hung on the garage wall for background viewing . I nick one of the wifes fans for her gyms classes in the summer which helps so in essence i am not a fan of peloton due to the silly prices .
    She is currently doing her online classes by zoom which seems to work well and they are getting a lot of take up until she gets back into the physical classes

Craftsman
    Another pleased Peloton owner here. I'm a frequent gym-goer and normally do enough cardio through playing football and running that i wouldn't really need any home equipment. Having said that, my mrs goes to the gym primarily to do spin classes.

I ordered mine as soon as the lockdown was announced and it took 4 weeks to arrive. Since it arrived about 7-8 days ago it's been used everyday by either the mrs and/or myself. It's a great spin bike and i'm really enjoying seeing my stats at the end of each workout. Yes its expensive but if you're happy with the product that's all that matters to the owners. That £39 a month subscription for the classes can can be used by several user profiles therefore splitting the costs per user. If i lived alone i wouldn't get value but there's 2 of us currently using it and maybe some more of the family will want to once we've stopped socially distancing! The mrs will cancel her gym membership but i'll probably keep mine and use either the gym or peloton depending on how much free time i have.
    Last edited by ManCityDG; 6th May 2020 at 12:53.

I have the same. Most of the time I used the MotionTraxx app that had guided 20,30,40+ minute audio workouts which if you follow them correctly are really hard and give you a good going over.

Its a paid for app but doesn't cost that much and the rest of the family use it as well so peanuts in the grand scheme of things. I used to use the GCN videos but got a bit bored with them after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    I have a gym quality spin bike and is use my i pad on the handlebars to train using the GCN videos on youtube and have done for a good few years . I cycle several times a week and have done spinning for circa 20 years both in and out of gyms . The wife was my then spin instructor oddly and we have a treadmill which is tedious which she cannot cope with either .
    I tend to have the earbuds in and hameer the bike with something on the TV screen on the TV hung on the garage wall for background viewing . I nick one of the wifes fans for her gyms classes in the summer which helps so in essence i am not a fan of peloton due to the silly prices .
    She is currently doing her online classes by zoom which seems to work well and they are getting a lot of take up until she gets back into the physical classes

I thought I would bump this instead of creating a new thread.

I’m very tempted to take the plunge, especially given the 30 day trial period. My exercise used to be mainly lifting weights, but I’m trying to do more cardio now to improve general fitness and the Peloton seems like a perfect way of keeping on track / motivated based on the user experience.

Are there any more owners on the forum that have any feedback?

Has anyone managed to secure any better discounts than the £100 referral?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    I thought I would bump this instead of creating a new thread.

I’m very tempted to take the plunge, especially given the 30 day trial period. My exercise used to be mainly lifting weights, but I’m trying to do more cardio now to improve general fitness and the Peloton seems like a perfect way of keeping on track / motivated based on the user experience.

Are there any more owners on the forum that have any feedback?

Has anyone managed to secure any better discounts than the £100 referral?

Thanks
    I've still got mine (November 1 2019 I got it). I still do a Peloton class every day although not the bike every day.

I have just hit a bit of a wall recently (last 2 weeks) of boredom on it - however, this is because there is genuinely nothing else and the garage is freezing initially. I'm struggling to push myself to go on it - where I'd do 5/6 classes a week, I'm doing 2 or 3 now.

I will categorically say this is the current situation however - I used to alternate with the gym but as I say, at the moment, it's just this being my only primary option. To put into context, I'm an MTB rider too and have no motivation whatsoever to ride at the moment either - so that shows its the situation, not the kit.

Overall, the Peloton is one of the best things I've bought. If I wanted to I could sell it today for close to, if not more than I paid 15 months ago. It's been a real joy until the last few weeks.

Excellent equipment, great quality, nowhere near as cheesy as I thought - it does push you. I suspect when gyms finally reopen (or the weather warms up), I'll be reinvigorated anyway - saying that, I will be on it later today and tomorrow or Sunday.

In the current climate, the £100 referral is the best you'll get. Black Friday deals are the best.

My usage since getting the bike/subscription in November 2019

We bought one in October last year and its been absolutely brilliant. The whole family use it daily including my two teenage kids.

I used to run quite a lot but have been doing a load of bike classes, both live and the re-run sessions. I did think they would be a bit tame before we got it but they really do push you. If you are a keen cyclist you can do the power zone classes to improve strength and endurance.

I also do strength, mainly bodyweight as we don't have too many weight and they are a nightmare to get hold off at the moment!!

I've just started their yoga classes which are very good as well plus do a meditation every day.

My wife does bike, Barre and yoga.

So definitely a brilliant purchase. You need to factor in the £39 month for the subscription but between 4 of us thats very good. Plus the resale value is crazy - like steel sports Rolex!

I fail to see how someone couldn't find something for them in all of the mixture of stuff they do.

Thanks for the responses. I have just ordered the Bike+. I'm a sucker for the extra features, I won't even really have the room to adjust the screen and do the other workouts where I am putting it.

I will try it for 30 days and see if I get into it. It's quite a big purchase but I feel less guilty given that it should benefit for health!

Master
    Old thread bump...started with this recently. Definitely brings back memories of the spin classes in the gym. Always found that the experience in the gym is very instructor dependent, some were tryly brilliant and some were less so. This was one of the attractions of peloton. There are various personalities and you can decide which personalities you like or find too OTT!

Any recommendations of who to try? Think I will try the 9 class / 3 week intro programme which will perhaps give a flavour of various styles / classes.

So far - love it, but very early days and of course there is a chance it will become 'an expensive clothes horse' as a few have predicted ealier.

I’ve had mine since November 2019. I love it. Had a period of about 4 months back end of last year where I hardly used it but I lost motivation for all exercise to be fair. Back on it now.

I think it’s a fantastic bit of kit and I do a lot of the off bike classes too. It’s got me out walking quite a lot as well.

As for recommended trainers - I really enjoy Bradley Rose classes. He’s just funny but could see him being marmite. I like Cody Rigsby. Very camp and OTT but again enjoyable classes. Ben Aldiss is good. The American trainers can be very cheesy ‘be the CEO of your own body’ though. Matt Wilpers a really good US one

Hannah Frankson does good hard classes but the hardest I find are Olivia Omato. Good though.

Great concept and been worth every penny for me.