closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone sent a 60s watch back to manufacturer's for a freshen up?

Apprentice

Anyone sent a 60s watch back to manufacturer's for a freshen up?

I've got a Breitling top time late 60s it's been serviced in the past but I'm considering sending it back to the manufacturer service centre in tunbridge Wells.

Has anyone here done something similar? Do you think they'd replace the dial? I've only engaged via their website so far.

If there are any before or after pics or words around the experience it would be interesting to hear before I commit.

IMG_0444 by David Wren, on Flickr

I sent a fifties Longines back to the place it was made. They stil had parts, I was impressed.

Sent from my Aquaris V using tapatalk with thick fingers, declining eyesight and a small keypad.

Craftsman
    I have a 60s Longines Jamboree I've been thinking about sending back. I don't want the original dial and handset to be changed out though - did they do this with yours?

Will definitely be looking into this a bit more in New Year.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    I sent a fifties Longines back to the place it was made. They stil had parts, I was impressed.

Sent from my Aquaris V using tapatalk with thick fingers, declining eyesight and a small keypad.
    John

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Id have a word with them on the phone and specify what you'd like them to do and what you wouldn't. I'd sincerely hope they don't have a one size fits all approach.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Master
    Yes, actually - I had a '60s Seamaster that was lovely apart from corroded hands. Came back from Omega looking spiffy.

That was about 18 years ago, though.

^^^^ I'm in love.

Master
    After a chat with Omega Service Centre re my 1964 Constellation I sent it to them for service

As well as a full mechanical service, it just had a very light polish and came back looking very good indeed.

I am very impressed with the work carried out.

They replaced the hands (with the same non lume hands), fitted a new plexy and restored the dial. They did an excellent job.

They said the original hands could not be used, if they could they would have. Seems they understand the art of keeping it as original as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    I have a 60s Longines Jamboree I've been thinking about sending back. I don't want the original dial and handset to be changed out though - did they do this with yours?

Will definitely be looking into this a bit more in New Year.

John

Yes.

I think I'd be a bit nervous about sending vintage off to a brand that has not been in continuous ownership; I'm sure the history of Breitling is only a few clicks away but I have a vague recollection that their spares were sold off when the company originally folded as a result of the quartz crisis (was it Sinn or O&W?). I would want to do a lot of due diligence before letting it loose on their workshop and would be more likely looking for an independent (though I realise that probably doesn't help you with spares).
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Yes.

I think I'd be a bit nervous about sending vintage off to a brand that has not been in continuous ownership; I'm sure the history of Breitling is only a few clicks away but I have a vague recollection that their spares were sold off when the company originally folded as a result of the quartz crisis (was it Sinn or O&W?). I would want to do a lot of due diligence before letting it loose on their workshop and would be more likely looking for an independent (though I realise that probably doesn't help you with spares).
    That's an interesting thought

Master
    Blog Entries
    That is a front loader so not as easy as some with the stem. I had one that was serviced but had a crown problem and the independent couldn’t get a new stem so in the end I sent it regretfully back for a refund from the seller. Shame as I liked it. The crown is on a split stem and pulls out.

I sent a Datora (1968 model I think) to Breitling for a service back in 2008 (I didn't realise I've had it that long!).
    I seem to recall speaking to them on the phone and confirming what I wanted by email before the job was done, without any problems...admittedly it was in NOS condition so nothing needed replacing.

I'd only do this if I could give very strict instructions. I've seen a couple of Heuers which were completely ruined and had an Omeg Speedy which was screwed up by the Dutch main agent... And remember the Breitling have been out of business for a couple of years.

Craftsman
    Thanks Mark - appreciate the detail in your reply, very useful to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    They replaced the hands (with the same non lume hands), fitted a new plexy and restored the dial. They did an excellent job.

They said the original hands could not be used, if they could they would have. Seems they understand the art of keeping it as original as possible.

John

Journeyman
    I second the previous advice about being *very* specific about not wanting anything replaced. The service will also be very costly and there are plenty of decent jobbing watchmakers who could service your top time without it costing an arm and a leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I sent my rare LCD Speedmaster (1970's) back to Bienne they replaced the movement with a slightly different one and didn't include the original with the other old parts that were returned with the watch such as the old pushers. The case didn't look as though it had been polished either. I reckoned that they cant have taken longer than 15 minutes on the work and even taking into account the cost of a new LCD movement, crystal and pushers I wasn't impressed by a bill heading towards £500. It was with them for about 6 weeks.

When I wanted my 1960 Seamaster 285 refurbished I sent it to Brendan, who completely a major service on the movement, cleaned the relumed dial & hands and polished the case all for less than half of what Omega charged me for the above. It was with him for about a week.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Seamaster-285