closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home multi gym - any recommendations?

Master

Home multi gym - any recommendations?

Hi

Thinking of getting a multi gym unit for home use - like the one that sold on here recently.

Seen a few that are local-ish for sale. Anyone got any opinions/experience with any that are particularly good or bad / things to look out for etc? There seem to be quite a few options so having a few in mind to keep an eye out for would be useful.

Really want it to do some basic weight training and thought it may be easier than having a weight set with a bench etc. Would like to be able to add more weights if needed and possibly different attachments for different exercises. Want something stable and strong and easy to move from one exercise to another so anything where there is the faff of re-threading cables etc would be a no-go. Oh and it has to be one that can be dismantled and put back together.

Cheers

This probably goes against what you want and possibly everyone else's advice but if I were building a home gym (with a limited budget - that would be in my case anyway) I would concentrate on getting a good quality adjustable bench (with proper padding) and a range of fixed dumbbells from light to heavy (you can always add to these as funds allow). For equipment I'd get a chin up/dip station if possible, otherwise don't worry. If you can get a barbell with plates that's also good too.

With this set up you can do a ton of exercises that hit every bodypart, both upper and lower body.

You can get dumbbells with plates but it's a faff changing all the time, especially as you need to lift heavier weights for single arm dumbbell rows, for example. That's why I suggest forking out more for fixed. You should also get very light ones that you can use to warm up, especially for the rotator cuff area.

I would also look into bodyweight exercises and callisthenics as these are great and very taxing (and you don't need fancy equipment).
    Last edited by Shane; 28th December 2018 at 20:08.

Master
    Wait until February and there will be countless models to choose from, lightly used, on eBay/Gumtree.

No help with the actual question - apologies.

Craftsman
    Dont waste your time, get a power rack, bench, 7ft bar and set of Olympic plates.
    You can do 90% of what you need with these. Add a pullup and dip attachments and you are good to go.

Barbell and free weights have always been king and remain so. Dont bother with all the cable faff,its not needed.

+1 for Calisthenics - you are your own gym. Better invest in a book; either, Complete Calisthenics (Ashley Kalym) or Convict Conditioning. Thank me later!

if i were you i'd just join and go to a gym near where you live , unless you buy proper gym quality equipment most of it is overpriced junk that will just be turned into a clothes rack within a short time.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal666 View Post
    Dont waste your time, get a power rack, bench, 7ft bar and set of Olympic plates.
    You can do 90% of what you need with these. Add a pullup and dip attachments and you are good to go.

Barbell and free weights have always been king and remain so. Dont bother with all the cable faff,its not needed.
    Exactly this. Strength shop do some great racks and bars. Mirafit do some very good value stuff too (bumper plates especially).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Strength shop are decent and you will get everything you need there.

Honestly dont bother with fad/faff crap cables/celeb books etc. Squat, bench, deadlift and press, 4 staples of any routine. consistency is key, progressive overload and you will be awesome in no time. .

Journeyman
    What are your aspirations, intentions, experience, injuries/limitations and currant condition (weight/age/fitness/strength), BamBam?

Without knowing any of this it is impossible to point you in the right direction.

Contrary to previous suggestions; if you are a beginner, inexperienced, working out solo, and unable to get to a formal gym.............

..........then MAYBE a multigym may well the right route for you; even though it isn't really the best option for many.

Grand Master
    Whats your aim?

a pair of Kettlebells will sort 95% of your requirement
    RIAC

Or if you have ceiling hanging ability a TRX ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Thanks everyone.

So to answer a few questions:
    - Currently 50, about 13 stone and 6' tall.
    - Did lots of weights and gym back in the day so am familiar with using free weights, benches etc.
    - Gave up going to the gym a long time back, but when I did go I was frequently on the rowing machine
    - Current condition - ok, dodgy back.
    - Aims/objectives - muscle tone and strength - not looking to be muscle bound or enter any competitions. Also need to do some cardio work - so possibly a decent rowing machine at some point. Will also look to get out on the bike more.

Now that I think about it more, I think a set of fixed weights in a rack might be the way to go. I have a bench I can use already. Could look to add a decent power rack at some point too.
    I'm not looking to do any fancy exercises - the nice, basic ones will do me - so as suggested earlier, bench press, squats etc.

What sort of range of fixed weights should I be looking for - as in from what lb to what lb?

Cheers

Craftsman
    Like most say, a good bench, dumbbells and a couple of bars (straight and a curling) with some plates is all you need if you can then do some pull-ups, sit-ups and press-ups you will easily cover everything oh and a few squats!
    Multi gym's are crap!! If serious and want some decent equipment get a Smith's or half Smith's with Olympic disc but really no need.
    When I'm pushed for time don't even use weights, 100 press-ups a night (proper ones that is)

Maybe a punchbag for the cardio?

I would also recommend mobility exercises. I neglected mobility/stretching all through my training years, but am doing it now. You'd be amazed how quickly the body adapts, but it's about consistency. There are loads of videos on mobility and stretching and how activating certain muscles releases others that are compensating for the weakness of the ones you are now activating! It may well help your lower back condition.

Just try to get loads of variety into your training - everything from walking, cycling, swimming, push ups, calisthenics, weights, circuits, etc will help get you into shape and avoid getting into a rut.

Master
    Set of trx straps and a couple of kettlebells is all you need to achieve what you describe focus on hiit training with those and you’ll be getting the cardio thrown in for free about 30 minutes a day or every other day job done under £100 .

Adding to my earlier comment; and in view of the OP’s bad back, Pilates alongside any strength training is a must, it’ll help your back, help prevent injuries and your corset muscles will be top notch; not to mention your pelvic floor which is crucially important for us as we get a little older.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Whats your aim?

a pair of Kettlebells will sort 95% of your requirement
    Sack the multi gym off, this is going to be a better use of your funds.

a couple are going to cover most bases, this set is worth a look if your a complete novice just add a 16 or a 20K while your at it.

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/kettl...ge-4-8-12.html

However, if you have no idea how to swing or squat with one I would be investing some time reading some Dan John articles either on T-nation or his own site

http://danjohn.net/2017/11/swings/

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10...lebell-workout

that is going to cover your cardio and strength training needs.

Journeyman
    +7 on kettlebells.

Start gently; with proper form and that'll sort your core/back and most everything else too.

Master
    Thanks all. I had never even considered kettlebells before! The multi gym is definitely off the cards and instead I'm going to buy some kettlebells and a few fixed weights. One of the earlier posts mentioned using a variety of exercises (cycling, walking, weights etc) and that definitely appeals as I know I'll get bored doing the same thing all the time. Will also look into pilates for some core strength and mobility.

Mobility and stretching are also high on my list so will do those most days anyway, especially for my back.

I'll have to look into how to do a kettlebell swing as I can that there's ample opportunity to get it wrong and cause injury to yourself! But I really like the idea of being able to take them (or any fixed weights) outside and do things in the park etc.

I happened to see a programme on Rich Froning the other day (pure coincidence) - the fittest man in history, who competes in Crossfit - that looks insane!

If anyone has any good videos worth checking out with regard to kettlebell exercises and technique that would be great. I'm feeling fitter already!

Journeyman
    Suspension straps are good if you are like the idea of going outdoors with your gear. I have a set of WOSS Gear straps (couldn't justify the cost of TRX against the amount of probable use). Which I set up in the garden and have taken with me to the park to use after a short run.
    Here's something to consider. Have you looked at indian clubs? Great for warm up exercises and natural joint movement with little risk of injury. With proper technique it's surprising how much work you do moving a reasonably small weight around but you do need the space to flail your arms around.

After posting this I've just read that WOSS Gear have encountered some copyright issues with TRX. There are plenty of other suspension strap trainers out there.

This fellow seems to have a comprehensive kettle bell instruction site.

https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/teac...tlebell-swing/
    Last edited by Paladin67; 30th December 2018 at 15:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal666 View Post

What he said.

I did the same in my garage. You can see my bench in the back hanging off some hooks.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master
    There’s some great kettlebell info here, I didn’t realise how many users there were here.
    Maybe we could do with a dedicated kettlebell thread?

Master
    I started a kettlebell thread

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...tlebell-thread

Jump in

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    An expensive way to dry your clothes,best just by a clothes horse tbh.