closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you list it for sale do you stop wearing it

If you list it for sale do you stop wearing it

Noticed quite a few watches for sale being still worn daily by the owners, just wondered if I’m in a minority of 1 in boxing up any watch I put up for sale lest I put I ding on it. Like to see what consensus is on this. Not seen it discussed when I searched.

I always thought most of them were just photos so they buyer can see how the watch looks the few where buyers are still wearing them I assumed was just over a couple of days to ensure the timing was good especially on a watch that’s not been worn much. If it did get a knock then I guess the price would too.

Personally though I don’t wear it once it’s up for sale.

Master
    I don't wear them once they're for sale incase condition changes but don't see any problem folks doing it as its their property.

I wouldn’t wear it but I wouldn’t box it up either in case any potential buyers want additional photos or videos etc.

Once cleaned and photographed, I wouldn't wear it.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Yes! It annoys me when I see people wearing what they're selling. By the time it's sold is it going to be in the same condition as stated in the ad?

I have a psychological thing going on as well so when I decide to sell something, it's final and I need to pack it away to stop me changing my mind.

Personally I wouldn't wear the watch - if I'm selling then I don't want it therefore won't wear it.I've noticed a lot of watches recently coming up for sale that are still stickered up and brand new - these seem to be desirable models bought by speculators rather than wis....think L.E.speedies etc.You can get an idea of the type of person you're dealing with through PM's on this forum and genuine people will protect their reputation.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I wouldn’t wear it but I wouldn’t box it up either in case any potential buyers want additional photos or videos etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    As above.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    I wouldn’t wear it anymore, aside from a car I wouldn’t use anything that is up for sale as like other posters said, the condition can change

When I sell, I take the photos then I pack it up ready to post.

As above

If I am selling it then I don't want it any longer - if I want to wear it then I would be keeping it

If it’s for sale it stays in the box (but not sealed-up) and remains unworn thereafter, unless wrist shots or an ‘on wrist’ timing test are requested by a buyer.

I also make it clear when the photos were taken i.e. do they represent current condition.

As a buyer, I’d be annoyed to have scrutinised a seller’s pics only to later find some glaring new marks not disclosed in the sale ad (within reason of course - even the best, sharpest pics can’t show every little blemish, or how it plays in the light).

If I’m selling, it tends to not be getting much wrist time anyway, so it’s no hardship, simple common sense and just shows respect to a prospective buyer. Not that I flip watches with any regularity anyway.

Like others, I would not wear. Having hopefully accurately described the condition of the Watch, it needs to be in that identical condition when a buyer comes along.

What do you do if you scratch it etc, amend the sales listing and reduce the price. Not worth the bother.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I don't understand why people wear watches they have listed for sale. I obviously don't.

Same as everyone else here in that I wouldn’t wear a watch once I’d put up an ad to sell it. I don’t package anything up until I’ve got a deal confirmed, though, just in case anyone needs additional photos.

Simon

If I stopped wearing it, that would be the reason to offer it up for sale. Wearing while selling would feel the other (wrong) way around, but hey, that is just me thinking.

Master
    The only justification to me would be if it was your only watch which is unlikely on here, as others have said if you post to sell then why risk any change to condition, I certainly wouldn’t.

No I box it up ready to post quickly and to ensure it’s condition stays as advertised.

I would have tested its function and timing before listing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Same as everyone else here in that I wouldn’t wear a watch once I’d put up an ad to sell it. I don’t package anything up until I’ve got a deal confirmed, though, just in case anyone needs additional photos.

Simon
    Precisely this; I’d feel I was wearing the new owner’s watch as soon as it was for sale - even if that new owner hadn’t yet stepped forward to do the deal.

If it's a mechanical I might wear it for a few days to keep an eye on accuracy.

Trouble is, when I do this I tend to remember what I liked about the watch in the first place and never get around to listing it!

Watches are made for wearing, so I don't see it as a problem. If a watch was damaged at the last minute, I'd obviously expect the seller to say and give a buyer the chance to pull out or come to an agreement on a lower price.

I guess all these safe queens with stickers and tags are never meant to be worn anyway...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    I’ve only ever sold to dealers so no as the watch is gone straight away.

If I was doing a private sale then yes I’d still wear it, who knows how long it would take to sell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Once I’ve advertised a watch for sale, it’s boxed up and not touched until it’s shipped to the new owner.

Craftsman
    I don’t wear them for two reasons...

I’ve normally gone off the watch hence why it’s for sale and secondly, I certainly wouldn’t want to damage it in any way as I ensure I describe the condition very accurately

Quote Originally Posted by dougjb View Post
    Once I’ve advertised a watch for sale, it’s boxed up and not touched until it’s shipped to the new owner.
    Same with me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Same as the majority of others have said, I'd not sell a watch I'm still wearing nor would I wear a watch I was in the process of selling.

Journeyman
    Yep, same as most here - I consider once its photographed, I won't wear it. If I had a particularly special occasion I might but in general not. I have once or twice done a 'final wear' as a goodbye though!

Master
    Once it’s for sale I am already emotionally detached from the watch so I would probably no longer wear it just in case.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    I wouldn’t wear it anymore, aside from a car I wouldn’t use anything that is up for sale as like other posters said, the condition can change

There’s more chance of damaging a car that you have for sale than a watch ,surely that would stop you using a car if you applied the same logic ?

Never sold a watch that I’ve worn , nothing would stop me from wearing one that I was trying to sell on the basis that if anything changed in its condition I would bring it to the buyers attention, no different to when I’m selling a car , the same would apply .

Craftsman
    It's a bit like having a final 'one for the road' with a girlfriend that you are dumping.

I don't have a problem with a seller wearing their own watch while it's for sale. If I had agreed to buy it though, I would expect them to stop wearing it.

As others have said if I'm selling a watch it's because I'm no longer wearing it so the situation is unlikely to arise.

Yes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    There’s more chance of damaging a car that you have for sale than a watch ,surely that would stop you using a car if you applied the same logic ?
    True, but when I was younger I only had 1 car so had to drive it while up for sale. Fortunate enough to leave a car parked up now as I have more than 1 :)

The reverse applies also
    When you don't wear a watch you sell it

BUBI 0_0

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Yes.
    +1

Blog Entries
    Mostly,yes....well...101% yes

Master
    No I wouldn't do that, would be bad if you picked up another mark after pics were taken.

Master
    But mostly you don't stop driving your car if you've advertised it for sale, do you? You don't move out of your house when the 'For Sale' board goes up....Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    But mostly you don't stop driving your car if you've advertised it for sale, do you? You don't move out of your house when the 'For Sale' board goes up....Just saying.
    But watch is not a necessity like a car or your house esp if you have more than one.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Grand Master
    I’m in a slightly different posotion from most, usually I’m selling a watch I’ve restored from my collection I’ve decided to move on. In both cases I’ll almost certainly do some refinishing work to make the watch as good as it can be, and if it’s a freshly restoed watch it needs wrist time to regulate to my satisfaction so it has to get some careful wear. However, I don’t like wearing anything after refinishing’s complete, the slightest scratch or mark will show and it’s up to the new owner to put his own fine scratches in it!

A watch should be sold in exactly the same condition as the photos show it to be, rnning the risk of adding more marks or scratches is unwise unless you’re confident to polish them out.

Quote Originally Posted by dougjb View Post
    Same goes for me.
    Or the watch is withdrawn from sale.

Only if I'm buying it off myself

Absolutely - once photos have been taken and a description of condition written, it's straight into the box and untouched unless specific photos are requested. I've noticed a few times on here people putting up photos watches being worn that are on SC, and unfortunately some of those times it's clear the watch is indeed still being worn, and it's not just an old photo being posted. So the seller isn't hiding the fact that they're still wearing it, just they're not being open in their sales post that it'll continue to be being worn...I dislike that greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    As above

If I am selling it then I don't want it any longer - if I want to wear it then I would be keeping it
    This ^^^ if I don't wear it and I decide to sell I'll photograph the watch but that's the end of it, I wont box it up incase more photo's are required.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Simple answer, yes.

I might put the watch on and post a photo in another thread to show it off, hopefully sparking interest if it was slow selling, but this would be in the house and put straight away after...

Grand Master
    You say "still been worn daily"how do you know this to be fact,what makes you think they are been worn by the seller(s) up to the day it's gone!?.

Once I post a watch for sale I'll not wear it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
    This.

Master
    Yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After they've been checked over, cleaned and photographed I won't wear them again.

I was a bit annoyed when I bought a watch from SC (a while ago now) only to discover that the sales photographs had been taken when the watch had just been unboxed and was minty new, not after it had been worn for a few months!

I might wear a watch for a couple of days or so before putting it up for sale just to make sure that things are as they should be, then I'll take 'photos (possibly including wrist shot) and put it in the watch box until sold. I'd keep the watch wound (if mechanical) whilst for sale and only box it once money has been received, before boxing I'll fully wind it and set the date and time so that when the purchaser receives the watch it's ready to wear from the off bar bracelet adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    before boxing I'll fully wind it and set the date and time so that when the purchaser receives the watch it's ready to wear from the off bar bracelet adjustments.
    That's really thoughtful, I'm going to do that from now on.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 1st January 2019 at 16:54.