closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A beautiful day in Devonshire.

Master

A beautiful day in Devonshire.

Climbing Tors in some very rare sunshine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Nice, wish I was out there today. Where did you go?

Nice watch

Master

A beautiful day in Devonshire.

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Nice, wish I was out there today. Where did you go?

Nice watch

Stuck down in Tavistock at my in-laws for Christmas. This morning me and my 8 year old son went up to Cox Tor, Roos Tor, Great Staple Tor and middle Staple Tor. Yesterday it was Great Mis Tor, and tomorrow will be Kings Tor taking in the disused quarries and standing stones at Merrivale. I really do love it down here, it’s just a shame it normally rains constantly.

Dartmoor is cool, I visit as much as I am able.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    Dartmoor is cool and wet, all year round.
    There, fixed that for you...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    Stuck down in Tavistock at my in-laws for Christmas. This morning me and my 8 year old son went up to Cox Tor, Roos Tor, Great Staple Tor and middle Staple Tor. Yesterday it was Great Mis Tor, and tomorrow will be Kings Tor taking in the disused quarries and standing stones at Merrivale. I really do love it down here, it’s just a shame it normally rains constantly.
    I grew up on the edge of Dartmoor at Yelverton, where the Dartmoor ponies would wander into the garden if the gate was left open; and I went to school in Tavistock. I had a tour of my old school with my family a few years ago and was shocked to hear the headmaster say, "well of course the weather here is dreadful, all year round". It shocked me because you get used to what you know, and it becomes normal, so constant wet weather became the norm and didn't excite comment; and playing rugby in a sea of mud became pretty normal too.

A few miles to the west of Tavistock is a prominent hill called Kit Hill, which is topped by an old mine chimney.They have a saying in Tavistock, that, "if you can see Kit Hill, it's about to rain".

Of course, if you can't see it, it's usually because it's already raining...

The amount of rain in Devon you'll experience will depend on where you are in the county, between Dartmoor and the coast there's a large difference.

WRT Kit Hill there's a good cafe up there called the Louis Tea Rooms (but universally known as the Kit Hill Cafe) It's a regular stopping point when I'm out on the bike and the views not only include 'Tavy' but as far as Plymouth - on a good day.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    There, fixed that for you...
    Nope, not all the time, it is pretty alright up there sometimes, but can change in a instant and then change back.

I have experienced the worst weather up there and the best. Love the place.

Master
    Spent a lot of my teenage years walking Dartmoor for DoE. Used to love it. Very lucky to have a Dartmoor and Exmoor within easy reach as well as all the glorious coastline.