closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CCTV, Alarm advice

Master

CCTV, Alarm advice

Doing a little house refurb before we move into the house we bought recently.
    We would like cameras and alarm. Anybody gone down the 'modern / smart' route, how are you finding this? I am considering something like Nest / Ring. Security cameras around the outside of the house (potentially with a door bell added in). All controlled from smartphone. Cost wise, maybe c. £1000 to cover the whole house with a few cameras.

What do we think?

In terms of alarm, I think they are both planning to introduce security alarms sometime in 2019, already available in US. Otherwise may go the traditional route for alarm and get a firm in to sort it.

Master
    I have a pyronix smart type alarm which has been faultless. I declined getting CCTV but Pyronix own Hikvision which you will find everyone recommends for CCTV.

The app is simple and can combine both alarm and CCTV now they are one company.

Budget £1.5 to £2k to have both installed and you will have a system that is far superior to the ring / nest type systems and without the monthly fee for cloud storage as you'll get your own dvr box.

I have a Ring Doorbell 2 and a Ring Spotlight Camera.

I'm moving house in a few months and when I do the Ring is going in the bin. I might keep the doorbell but the system in general is junk. I wouldn't buy it again.

Get proper PoE cameras. That's what I'll be doing next time. If you do want the doorbell camera and go Ring get the Pro. The 1 and 2 are useless.

Craftsman
    In the process of doing the same myself. I opted for a hard wired alarm on a friends (installer) recommendation. Pyronics 66 panel 2 keypads and a LAN module for Internet and app control 5 pirs 1 door contact 1 internal & 2 external sounders. Also had him run cat5 cable for tv's and cctv. £750 all in.

I didn't want cctv but went for a cheap self install Swann set up from screwfix as it was on offer for £199.

Blog Entries
    Arlo and Yale Smart Home here. Could not be happier.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    I have a Pyronix alarm system which is on a service contract with a security company and rings my mobile with details of the alarm trigger etc. Also have 5 Arlo cameras and 4 Ring cameras plus the Ring doorbell. Both camera systems work well and have their good points.

I keep thinking about getting a multiple outdoor wireless Arlo camera set up, we have an alarm and recently got a cheap indoor camera with alerts via an app etc, probably just a novelty thing though, I do wonder about how much bandwidth all the household devices are pulling nowadays though, 3 iPhones, 4 iPads, smart tv, computers, Nest, Xbox bla bla bla, I can see our 18meg connection being strained with more devices added. Or doesn’t it work like that?
    Cheers..
    Jase

We’ve got an Arlo system, there’s no monthly charge for up to 5 cameras, but if you pay 6 quid a month you can have up to ten cameras, with smart recognition, so you get an alert saying person, animal or vehicle detected, and it can even tell you if a parcel has been left. We’ve had no issues at all in the last couple of years, it’s worked faultlessly.

Craftsman
    I have a galaxy dimension alarm panel and hikvision IP cameras. I have a ring pro for the doorbell. Happy to recommend all 3

Quote Originally Posted by D4RK1 View Post
    I have a galaxy dimension alarm panel and hikvision IP cameras. I have a ring pro for the doorbell. Happy to recommend all 3
    If Arlo hadn’t announced the imminent launch of a doorbell, we’d have gone for the Ring Pro.

Craftsman
    I keep barking on about this but cheapo wide angle CCTV stuff might look good on your phone but ain’t going to nail your thief. I’m a big fan of CCTV42 products (watch some of their demo videos) and Texecom or Scantronic are the only decent alarms worth looking at.

Never mind the pretty apps, proper protection and decent night and day images are what you need.

Craftsman
    Another vote for Arlo here!
    Working great except for 1 small problem; sometimes the Geofencing has problems with locations. Not sure yet if it is Arlo or one (older) Iphone gps..

Quote Originally Posted by Skyjack View Post
    Another vote for Arlo here!
    Working great except for 1 small problem; sometimes the Geofencing has problems with locations. Not sure yet if it is Arlo or one (older) Iphone gps..
    My geofencing works fine, as soon as I put Mrs Berts iPhone into the mix it all goes tits up.

Master
    Thanks all. Very tempted to use the 15% off eBay deal to grab the arlo solution today. At the price it sits at don't think can really lose unless it it truly awful but given what a few of you have said above doesn't sound like that will be the case. Ring pro can also be had for around 140 today. So was tempted to add that. But I think if I have a camera looking at the front door that will do me for now.

Will also do some more reading about the Yale smart alarm tonight!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    My geofencing works fine, as soon as I put Mrs Berts iPhone into the mix it all goes tits up.
    The same here!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I have a Ring Doorbell 2 and a Ring Spotlight Camera.

I'm moving house in a few months and when I do the Ring is going in the bin. I might keep the doorbell but the system in general is junk. I wouldn't buy it again.

Get proper PoE cameras. That's what I'll be doing next time. If you do want the doorbell camera and go Ring get the Pro. The 1 and 2 are useless.
    We also have the Ring door bell and Spot light cameras, not had any real issues with them at all. Do also have 3 Hikvision cameras also.

Quote Originally Posted by thfccambs View Post
    We also have the Ring door bell and Spot light cameras, not had any real issues with them at all. Do also have 3 Hikvision cameras also.
    I think the doorbell is good but only if you get the Pro. The Pro, like the spotlight camera, records constantly so you get video three seconds before motion whereas the Ring 1 and 2 doorbell cameras only get video after motion. Every morning I see the back of my postman's head for about 2 seconds and if it's leaflet droppers sometimes I don't see them at all.

Both the doorbell and the spotlight camera can't tell the difference between a shadow and a person which sets of false alerts often. When a dog walked walks by my house. I've changed the sensitivity and redrawn the zones but you either get all or nothing.

I've set my spotlight sensitivity to "people only" and it didn't even see the delivery driver from Amazon knocking on my door.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I think the doorbell is good but only if you get the Pro. The Pro, like the spotlight camera, records constantly so you get video three seconds before motion whereas the Ring 1 and 2 doorbell cameras only get video after motion. Every morning I see the back of my postman's head for about 2 seconds and if it's leaflet droppers sometimes I don't see them at all.

Both the doorbell and the spotlight camera can't tell the difference between a shadow and a person which sets of false alerts often. When a dog walked walks by my house. I've changed the sensitivity and redrawn the zones but you either get all or nothing.

I've set my spotlight sensitivity to "people only" and it didn't even see the delivery driver from Amazon knocking on my door.
    Have you contacted Ring support?

Apprentice

CCT and Alarm

Having just been burgled 2 days ago, and had my entire, very collectable watch and jewellery collection stollen my advice to you is: the most important cctv you must place is outside your residence to get any intruders before they act. To much too late, we have now installed the nest exterior camera. It detects movement, voices, animals and furthermore you can talk through an inbuilt mike so you could tell the intruders for example that you are watching them. Cameras around the house, again we have now installed nest throughout. An alarm system is a good idea and most insurance companies require you to have one. Having spoken to a lot of people since the theft, I have heard that intruders are not always detered by alarms and some continue their search as they know they have at least 5 mins before the police arrive. The irony is, that it only take between 5-8 mins to rob a house.
    Last edited by wateeloo; 4th January 2019 at 12:26.

Master
    Have a think about how you will clean the lens after install, bloody spiders webs are not visible during the day but at night on IR they literally block the view.

My window cleaner gives them a wipe once a month, but the little buggers can knock out a web in a night.

Might have to upgrade to wiper system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCTV, Alarm advice

What PoE cameras/system are people using? Been doing some reading and Dahua seems to come highly recommend. Also seems a breeze to fit, recommendations are to use bullet, not dome cameras with a variable zoom lens, no need for pan and tilt. Also I was set to get 4Mp and above cameras but again the suggestion is that 2Mp cameras are the best especially at night where higher res cameras really struggle unless you get a really high spec low light high resolution camera.
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 14th January 2019 at 11:12.